• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT7| Luigi took our stare

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just google some articles about the song blurred lines

All of the arguments are flimsy, particularly if you cross-check them with the lyrics.

The "blurred lines" more than likely refer to the fact that the girl in question is in a relationship. All of the lyrics point to a more sexually muted previous relationship with a guy "now he was close, tried to domesticate you" and "Nothing like your last guy, he too square for you." But she's "an animal," and the way that she grabs him suggests sexual intent on her part.

From rapgenius:
The song is about how a girl really wants crazy wild sex but doesn’t say it—positing that age-old problem where men think no means yes into a catchy, hummable song.
For all the criticism the song got about Thicke portraying a rapist, this line actually shows a more consensual side to this pick-up. With “Go ahead, get at me” he’s encouraging the girl to make the first move.

But somehow people got rape and sexual assault from it. If you take the lines out of context and extrapolate (e.g., you're a good girl - I know you want it), then you can get that out of it. But that's being completely unfair.

All of the arguments are flimsy, particularly if you cross-check them with the lyrics.

The "blurred lines" more than likely refer to the fact that the girl in question is in a relationship. All of the lyrics point to a more sexually muted previous relationship with a guy "now he was close, tried to domesticate you" and "Nothing like your last guy, he too square for you." But she's "an animal," and the way that she grabs him suggests sexual intent on her part.

From rapgenius:
The song is about how a girl really wants crazy wild sex but doesn’t say it—positing that age-old problem where men think no means yes into a catchy, hummable song.
For all the criticism the song got about Thicke portraying a rapist, this line actually shows a more consensual side to this pick-up. With “Go ahead, get at me” he’s encouraging the girl to make the first move.

But somehow people got rape and sexual assault from it. If you take the lines out of context and extrapolate (e.g., you're a good girl - I know you want it), then you can get that out of it. But that's being completely unfair.

This common sense can fuck off. You're supposed to just go with it.
You and your fancy words...

In all seriousness, a lot of the flak for some of these songs is just fake outrage.

Infinite

From rapgenius:

I guess. These issues aren't exactly black and white which is why is controversial in the first place. Agree to disagree

I guess. These issues aren't exactly black and white which is why is controversial in the first place. Agree to disagree

One article I read actually did say something about how it "depends on how you interpret the song," which I think is still really unfair. A Jezebel article juxtaposed lines from the song with quotes from actual rapists (something you can honestly do with any song about sex or even love) making the most tenuous possible connections.

That said, we can agree to disagree.

With regards to the bolded, <insert obvious joke here> :p

Actually, the meanings of song lyrics are typically black and white unless the writer specifically says that they're ambiguous. Someone acting as they know the meaning of the lyrics more than the person who wrote the song, is extremely presumptuous and very annoying.

If someone wants to say they don't like the lyrics because they get negative imagery from it, that's fine. But to state that the song is about a subject that the writer explicitly says the song isn't about is beyond silly.

More minority representation in videogames? Tell them to make their own

More character with mental illnesses? Yea man they totes should, definitely under represented!

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
Actually, the meanings of song lyrics are typically black and white unless the writer specifically says that they're ambiguous. Someone acting as they know the meaning of the lyrics more than the person who wrote the song, is extremely presumptuous and very annoying.
Maybe it's all by a bunch of British lit teachers.

Infinite

One article I read actually did say something about how it "depends on how you interpret the song," which I think is still really unfair. A Jezebel article juxtaposed lines from the song with quotes from actual rapists (something you can honestly do with any song about sex or even love) making the most tenuous possible connections.

That said, we can agree to disagree.

With regards to the bolded, <insert obvious joke here> :p

It's a complicated issue because the issues of misogyny and rape culture specifically are inherently complicated. Not to mention rape culture being an entirely recent concept for a lot of us that we are all still trying to understand no matter where we stand on this particular debate. And unlike the Rick Ross lyric we don't have clear cut answer here which makes this song a lot more insidious to some people and dismissible to others. Is Robin Thicke the poster boy for misogyny? No. Do I think this song has a few lyrics that perpetuate rape culture? Yeah, I kinda do. But personally I'm pretty exhausted with this song and the debate surrounding it so I kinda want it and Robin Thicke to go away lol. Not the mountain I wanna die on so to speak.

If someone wants to say they don't like the lyrics because they get negative imagery from it, that's fine. But to state that the song is about a subject that the writer explicitly says the song isn't about is beyond silly.

But this is the very nature of art and criticism. The artist creates something and we the audience consume it and take in what we think it means to us. Not to mention intentions is never the same as impact. Robin Thicke may have never intended to write a song being misogynistic but that is certainly the impact the song left on more than a few people. Also Thicke's own defense in a couple of interviews was "ironic misogyny". So I don't know

More minority representation in videogames? Tell them to make their own

More character with mental illnesses? Yea man they totes should, definitely under represented!

I'd argue that many video game characters have mental illnesses already. Samus in Other M (PTSD), that one game everyone was raving about because it questions the idea of you being in control of your actions in violent videogames, Kratos has something for sure... etc.

It's a complicated issue because the issues of misogny and rape culture are inherently complicated. Not to mention rape culture being an entirely recent concept for a lot of us that we are all still trying to understand no matter where we stand on this particular debate. And unlike the Rick Ross lyric we don't have clear cut answer here which makes this song a lot more insidious to some people and dismissible to others. Is Robin Thicke the poster boy for misogyny? No. Do I think this song has a few lyrics that perpetuate rape culture? Yeah, I kinda do. But personally I'm pretty exhausted with this song and the debate surrounding so I kinda want it and Robin Thicke to go away lol. Not the mountain I wanna die on so to speak.

I understand the concept of rape culture. But if you want to fight that battle, I think that you'd need to find another battleground.

Infinite

I understand the concept of rape culture. But if you want to fight that battle, I think that you'd need to find another battleground.

I'm in agreement. That's what I mean by "not the mountain I wan to die on" I didn't mean to say that you have no understanding of rape culture so if you took it that way my bad. I can however say it is a relatively recent concept to me so I'm personally reading more books, articles, and studies on it because I don't know as much as I think I should on it.

On the topic of video games characters with mental illnesses we sorta already have them. More than a few game characters suffer from PTSD and I'm all for expanding the palette and openly addressing what these illnesses are in the dialogue and possibly mechanics of the games. But Angelus has a good point about people saying they want characters with mental illnesses and people who say "well, more minorities should be making games if they want minority characters." I think it highlights a lack of empathy. Like those people who are saying that probably suffer from mental illnesses or know someone who does but they can't "suffer" from being a minority.

http://wubbing.net/

WUBBING Video

Click on any of the link in the website...

dead2.gif
*is no longer apart of this world

Infinite

Post this in the Korra thread:

Has anyone mentioned that Korra seems to have a bit of a 'tan' this season? Or is it just me?

She looks a bit darker to me which is interesting. People in the Korra fandom on tumblr were mentioning how it seemed that Korra has gotten lighter from season 1 to season 2 and I know the creators of korra follows the fandom so maybe they took that to heart. Interesting none the less.

Slayven

Post this in the Korra thread:

She looks a bit darker to me which is interesting. People in the Korra fandom on tumblr were mentioning how it seemed that Korra has gotten lighter from season 1 to season 2 and I know the creators of korra follows the fandom so maybe they took that to heart. Interesting none the less.

She didn't get less stupider.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
I think fans of the show keep forgetting korra was neither born nor raised a monk. She's a hard headed survivalist from the South Pole who grew up in harsh weather conditions. Being the avatar is completely out of her comfort zone. People who get angry at korra after 2 seasons of the same shit are just trying to piss themselves off.

Slayven

the city dumped her but that seemed like a contrived and overly elaborate way to explain Korra leaving republic city

I think fans of the show keep forgetting korra was neither born nor raised a monk. She's a hard headed survivalist from the South Pole who grew up in harsh weather conditions. Being the avatar is completely out of her comfort zone. People who get angry at korra after 2 seasons of the same shit are just trying to piss themselves off.

Doesn't absolve her from fixing a problem she had a hand in.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Doesn't absolve her from fixing a problem she had a hand in.
It does when the city wants nothing to do with her. She made a call as the avatar and the city responded by shunning her. Would you continue to go back and try to fix the problems of one city when they condemn you for trying to bring balance to an unbalanced world? There's bigger problems, like the advent of air benders currently happening. Republic city made their choice.

Gorillaz

I actually liked that they went with a hothead for the avatar this time around. Especially after how ALTA ended by taking a "peace" route

One of the worst deus ex machina I have ever seen

EloquentM

aka Mannny
I actually liked that they went with a hothead for the avatars this time around.
Me too. Aang was a pansy. He was only portrayed as wise because he wasn't impulsive but there were many episodes where you could see he was just an scared little kid. Korra ain't perfect but aang was far from it too.

Infinite

the issue i had was that Korra' development from season1 to the beginning of season 2 too vanished.

Trey

Come through the Korra OT, ya'll. Join the party. The relief in there after the three episode premier is palpable.

I stopped watching season 2 I think about an episode after the Wan 2-parter. I knew she had to fight some spirit boss or something, but what did she do.

A huge Kaiju fight.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
the issue i had was that Korra' development from season1 to the beginning of season 2 too vanished.
Yeah that was actually bad. I mean her being a hot head is never going to change but season 2 korra pretty much acted like season 1 never existed lol.

Ugh.

Now people are accusing Robin Thicke of cultural appropriation? The man who has been making R&B music under the radar since the 90s? For crying out loud the dude wrote for Brandy's debut album.

Seriously, sometimes I fucking hate when Twitter/Tumblr learns a new concept. Robin's got more R&B in his blood than most of the R7B-Pop crossover niggas like Chris Brown and Justin Timberlake.

That mindset is so pathetic to me. I hate the idea that non-blacks doing "black" music are frauds stealing black "culture." I'm not a fan of Thicke but he's clearly not some dude trying to make a quick buck off black music. He has been involved in the genre for decades, can write, etc.

People who talk about "cultural appropriation" tend to sound insecure to me.

Infinite

Amon was wasted on the first season. But blood bending is too OP for the world of Avatar especially when dudes didn't even need full moons.

Slayven

How do you figure? We've seen 5 minutes worth of footage for them tops.

They have the one dude on their planet that figured out pressure and rock creates lava. And they have a Hydrowoman. It is like they are only people that took a second to practice with heir powers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom