• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT7| Luigi took our stare

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trey

They have the one dude on their planet that figured out pressure and rock creates lava. And they have a Hydrowoman. It is like they are only people that took a second to practice with heir powers.

Amon, Tarrlok. Niggas was using firebending as rocket propulsion. Mind explosions. It's nice to see more novel applications of bending, though.

Slayven

Amon, Tarrlok. Niggas was using firebending as rocket propulsion. Mind explosions. It's nice to see more novel applications of bending, though.

They were doing that shit in Aang's time. The only really advanced bending in a hundred years was metal bending.

Infinite

That mindset is so pathetic to me. I hate the idea that non-blacks doing "black" music are frauds stealing black "culture." I'm not a fan of Thicke but he's clearly not some dude trying to make a quick buck off black music. He has been involved in the genre for decades, can write, etc.

People who talk about "cultural appropriation" tend to sound insecure to me.

I don't think they're insecure just a little misguided. To be fair the tweet in question was tongue and cheek anyway. Personally the only Thicke I knew was Alan, a Canadian born and raised actor who turned out to be Robin Thicke's dad. So saying he has "RnB is in his blood" is a stretch but he does seem genuine about the music he writes and has been writing rnb for years apparently.

Slayven

Spiderman wears a suit that hide his true identity.

And when he was framed and had a KOS on him. He didn't up and leave, he still stayed to help those that could not help themselves.

spider-man-20071204051329349-000.jpg

Infinite

Back on Korra, I do find it a little annoying that the writers interpret "strong female character who gets shit done and is the opposite of aang" as "stubborn hot head who doesn't respect authority"

DominoKid

They have the one dude on their planet that figured out pressure and rock creates lava. And they have a Hydrowoman. It is like they are only people that took a second to practice with heir powers.

it takes a high level of mastery & giftedness to do the advanced applications of bending.

ex: Toph taking earthbending to another level.
Azula w/ the blue flames & lightning bending vs Zuko's standard firebending.

Back on Korra, I do find it a little annoying that the writers interpret "strong female character who gets shit done and is the opposite of aang" as "stubborn hot head who doesn't respect authority"

Wasn't that Toph? Toph was the shit, Her character served as a nice counter balance to Aang at the time I think. I don't know if she is still alive, but if she is I hope she shows up while they are in the earth kingdom.

edit: I also miss the silly humor. Maybe it's because the cast is older compared to the original group, but miss shit like Aang trying to make water circle thing he did seem awesome. Bolin can only get you so far and most of the humor from Korra stems from frustration if I remember right.

Infinite

Wasn't that Toph? Toph was the shit, Her character served as a nice counter balance to Aang at the time I think. I don't know if she is still alive, but if she is I hope she shows up while they are in the earth kingdom.

No that wasn't Toph imo. Toph had a "big sister" personality and she was more so a counter to Kotarra than she was to aang. Kotarra was a girly girl but Toph wasn't. they both had different teaching styles with aang. Toph was harder on him and Kotarra was a lot more easy going. Toph wasn't unreasonably obstinate and 2D like how I feel Korra is for the majority of season 2. iirc the creator of the show said Korra was inspired by Avatar Kiyoshi and the fandom's love for that character.

RedSwirl

I think fans of the show keep forgetting korra was neither born nor raised a monk. She's a hard headed survivalist from the South Pole who grew up in harsh weather conditions. Being the avatar is completely out of her comfort zone. People who get angry at korra after 2 seasons of the same shit are just trying to piss themselves off.

Wait what? But she's known she was the avatar for as long as she can remember. It became almost her entire identity unlike other avatars who find out during adolescence (usually around Korra's current age actually). I think a main difference between her and Aang is they've had almost opposite reactions to the same problem -- becoming the avatar before they're ready.

royalan

Actually, the meanings of song lyrics are typically black and white unless the writer specifically says that they're ambiguous. Someone acting as they know the meaning of the lyrics more than the person who wrote the song, is extremely presumptuous and very annoying.

If someone wants to say they don't like the lyrics because they get negative imagery from it, that's fine. But to state that the song is about a subject that the writer explicitly says the song isn't about is beyond silly.

Fucking BINGO.

Robin Thicke is singing about a consensual and very common type of socializing that happens in the club. ANYBODY who has ever actually gone out to a club, looked good, and had some drinks with a person and you KNOW the mutual chemistry is hot? Shit can get a little nasty. I mean like leaning in whispering in your ear, "So, you know I'mma beat it up tonight, right?" and you respond with, "Oh? you gonna do what now?" while sneaking a hand down to his crotch ("The way you grab me, must wanna get nasty.") Yeah, shit can get nasty like up in the club. It's common. And that's what Blurred Lines is about.

I don't want it to seem like I'm disparaging anyone who's been uncomfortably approached in the club, or potentially date raped or anything like that, but it gets to a point that you have to realize that that's what you're projecting onto the song. The "what if she doesn't actually want it?" and "he's perpetuating no means yes" is what you're bringing to the song. That's not what the song is about.

Roku could've been the best if he realized Sozin was approaching "ain't shit territory" and handled him.

Instead he ignored him and let him still work on his plans for conquest.

Roku is a bad Avatar.

He did handle him, which is why Sozin knocked that shit off after he get sonned by Roku. I'll concede that Roku should've acted sooner, but they were buds for most of their lives so I can understand why Roku hesitated.

EDIT: I still laugh at how their "fight" ended with Roku doing two moves. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtAbA0Umh7g

No that wasn't Toph imo. Toph had a "big sister" personality and she was more so a counter to Kotarra than she was to aang. Kotarra was a girly girl but Toph wasn't. they both had different teaching styles with aang. Toph was harder on him and Kotarra was a lot more easy going. Toph wasn't unreasonably obstinate and 2D like how I feel Korra is for the majority of season 2. iirc the creator of the show said Korra was inspired by Avatar Kiyoshi and the fandom's love for that character.

Ah, I see. I didn't realize that Avatar Kiyoshi had a following.

Did the creator take input for the original series from the fans? I can see too much outside influence just fucking it up.

Trey

but kiyoshi straight up murdered that earth kingdom warlord dude and has a whole culture dedicated to her. bad ass as fuck

By all accounts Yangchen was a ruthless badass and no one started shit during her Avatar run because she would crush them immediately.

She was an airbender.

akira28

Fucking BINGO.

Robin Thicke is singing about a consensual and very common type of socializing that happens in the club.

That's not what the song is about.

bad song. should have never been made. not his intended meaning, but an interpreted one. No it isn't his fault, but as a "good guy" he could address it. So far all I've seen is minor controversy anyway, so it's part of the game.

And the interpretations are subjective, yeah. But that external influences around sex and the line between coercion and seduction could be seen as fairly objective.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom