• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT7| Luigi took our stare

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wingstop is the KFC of wing joints. BWW is alright if you go and get an actual entree with, like, one side order of wings. If you want to eat somewhere and get nothing but wings, find a local joint.

I dont see the big deal to be honest. He clearly isnt saying the two are synonmous. Instead, he is pointing out the mental hoops you have to jump through to believe some of the things that people who condone both practices do. Is it an extreme? Maybe. But it gets the point across.

In both cases neither party really believes the "killing/capturing one to save a thousand" bullshit mantra and are merely using them as guises. People will make up any excuse to help them feel better at night

Reminds me of a Patrice O'Neals joke where he says that cheating is essentially the guy being thoughtful and merciful to their significant other.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
I dont see the big deal to be honest. He clearly isnt saying the two are synonmous. Instead, he is pointing out the mental hoops you have to jump through to believe some of the things that people who condone both practices do. Is it an extreme? Maybe. But it gets the point across.

In both cases neither party really believes the "killing/capturing one to save a thousand" bullshit mantra and are merely using them as guises. People will make up any excuse to help them feel better at night

people also can't help but use slavery as the go to measuring stick no matter how ridiculous it is

While I see where the poster is coming from, I can definitely agree that it is a tired and trite comparison that probably needs to be put out to pasture.

Its just such a good quick and dirty comparison that requires very little effort and thought. It's the easy mac of comparisons.

DY_nasty

He's the goalie for the US Soccer team. He had a record setting 16 saves in their game yesterday and was pretty much the only reason the US wasn't blown out of the water in the game.
He's the reason the US wasn't blown out of every game. That team was fucking horrible and horribly coached.

He's the reason the US wasn't blown out of every game. That team was fucking horrible and horribly coached.

I don't know enough about the sport to be able to comment on the coaching but team cohesion seemed virtually nonexistant until the last half of extra time. It felt like nobodies head was in the game until Green came in and fired everyone up with his goal.

Slayven

Shoulda brought Captain America!

Avengers only play American sports

baseball-small.jpg

DY_nasty

my sister and 3 other girls wandered off into the woods during recess (4th graders)

in the office, the other girls got stern talking tos and she was painted as mujahideen

i remember being threatened with an assault charge for confronting this kid that was bullying me my freshmen year. told two teachers, a security guard, and a bus driver that a fight was going to happen. nothing happened. i raged and beat his ass instead of letting him follow me home. principal tried to crucify me - while the kid waiting behind me in that office to be seen had set a bus on fire. i was suspended for 2 weeks and put on 'probation' for the rest of my time in that school and the kid who literally destroyed gov property got detention

definitely believe that shit

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
That shit is depressing. I definitely can see it. I'm pretty sure I had an actual factual racist for a kindergarten teacher. lol.

DominoKid

i remember once in 4th grade the school cop pulled me and 2 other black kids out into the hallway and straight barked on us for about 45 mins about how if we didn't leave this one white kid alone (essentially we played too rough for him) he was gonna take us the jail yadda yadda yadda. put one of the kids in handcuffs to "show him what it would be like to go to jail." as long as i live i will never forget how shitty that day was.

that's probably the only time i've ever seen my mom go "loud/angry black woman" and she got a formal apology from the principal, the police and the cop got reassigned.

Kraftwerk

my sister and 3 other girls wandered off into the woods during recess (4th graders)

in the office, the other girls got stern talking tos and she was painted as mujahideen

i remember being threatened with an assault charge for confronting this kid that was bullying me my freshmen year. told two teachers, a security guard, and a bus driver that a fight was going to happen. nothing happened. i raged and beat his ass instead of letting him follow me home. principal tried to crucify me - while the kid waiting behind me in that office to be seen had set a bus on fire. i was suspended for 2 weeks and put on 'probation' for the rest of my time in that school and the kid who literally destroyed gov property got detention

definitely believe that shit

Christ.

I will admit, I used to ignorant about a lot of these incidents. Well, I wouldn't say ignorant, but that I had a very idealistic mindset. When I was younger I thought shit like this only happened in the deep south etc.

Then one day. I was in a bookstore in Toronto, Canada. Me and my friend were looking for a book for school. Literally from the moment we entered the bookstore, the security guy started following us. I was baffled. At first I thought he was making the rounds, but then he kept peeking at us from every corner, and just following us all over. I told my buddy "wtf, does he think we are here to steal shit?"

And my friend just lets out a sigh and says "dude...I am a 6'2" black guy...he isn't following YOU". That really set me off, I just started staring directly at the security guy and didn't look away. he realized the jig is up and wandered away.

I kept trying to deny why this happened. But its so fucked up. I had been to that same place, countless times, with dozens of other friends, and I had seen that security guy before. The ONLY time he followed me was when I was with this friend.

Not trying to make this about me, but it really pissed me off. I can't even imagine the domino effect that that starts. You go into a place to buy a BOOK since you want to educate yourself, and you get treated like a criminal. In Canada out of all fucking places.

DY_nasty

Christ.

I will admit, I used to ignorant about a lot of these incidents. Well, I wouldn't say ignorant, but that I had a very idealistic mindset. When I was younger I thought shit like this only happened in the deep south etc.

Then one day. I was in a bookstore in Toronto, Canada. Me and my friend were looking for a book for school. Literally from the moment we entered the bookstore, the security guy started following us. I was baffled. At first I thought he was making the rounds, but then he kept peeking at us from every corner, and just following us all over. I told my buddy "wtf, does he think we are here to steal shit?"

And my friend just lets out a sigh and says "dude...I am a 6'2" black guy...he isn't following YOU". That really set me off, I just started staring directly at the security guy and didn't look away. he realized the jig is up and wandered away.

I kept trying to deny why this happened. But its so fucked up. I had been to that same place, countless times, with dozens of other friends, and I had seen that security guy before. The ONLY time he followed me was when I was with this friend.

Not trying to make this about me, but it really pissed me off. I can't even imagine the domino effect that that starts. You go into a place to buy a BOOK since you want to educate yourself, and you get treated like a criminal. In Canada out of all fucking places.
the oddest thing for me was learning how to really describe the shit that I make light of or shrug off to people who probably never realize what's going on. today for example - i'm going through a finance brief to start up my outprocessing from the military.

this guy tells me how that 'if i play my cards right' i can have 600k or so in savings if i choose to leave my money in this government savings plan. I promptly tell him that I'd rather take responsibility for my own investments down the line and that 600k after 40 years is shocking

"shocking good or shocking bad? /smirk"

"terrifying. that's like... maybe enough for a good house in a good neighborhood."

and he looked at me with a look that I and many others will recognize immediately. the i can't believe this uppity negro punk thinks that he can do better than what i just offered him. the nerve. this is why they're all fucked up. this is EXACTLY why. and what was supposed to be a brief about making sure that I had a job lined up after my service (I do. A damned good one.) turned into him naming off financial institutions and practices until he found something I didn't know about then harped on it til he felt important again.

I shook his hand, took his card, smiled and left after the meeting but made sure to tell everyone about the guy on my way back to the office. I could've easily made a scene but... I guess I'm too old for that now. Just funny to me how a guy can hate on someone half his age for having their shit together when its your job to make sure they have their shit together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom