• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT7| Luigi took our stare

Status
Not open for further replies.

royalan

Personally, I avoid moe threads.

But not because I'm on so holier-than-thou "I don't like it so I'm just not going to enter the thread! People like what they like!" tip, because I think the shit's gross and at some point you just have to draw a line with the whole grotesque sexualisation of what basically looks like a 9-year-old. If GAF banned moe wholesale tomorrow I'd applaud.

I avoid those threads because they literally make me sick to my stomach.

Trey

I ran into this the most with Tera. Elin were just the weirdest thing, and they were everywhere. Brought it up in an mmo thread the one day and some anime avatar defender of justice took me to task.

It's off putting, personally.

Crocodile

I guess I'm going to have to disagree with the group because while I obviously don't agree with the hyperbole coming out of Shinta's keyboard (LOL) and I certainly wouldn't call that mod's post bullying, I CONSTANTLY see "herp derp you have an anime avatar, your opinion is shit/invalid" in topics on GAF. Hell, as has already been cited, in that thread regarding avatars, people with "anime" avatars were near the top in terms of having shit thrown their way. Like if someone has a shitty opinion, just attack their opinion, not their "choice of clothing". How hard is that?

it's over now.

Closing post was awesome :)

Silky

Banned
Guys if I don't make it, tell my wife I said uguu~

LOL

I guess I'm going to have to disagree with the group because while I obviously don't agree with the hyperbole coming out of Shinta's keyboard (LOL) and I certainly wouldn't call that mod's post bullying, I CONSTANTLY see "herp derp you have an anime avatar, your opinion is shit/invalid" in topics on GAF. Hell, as has already been cited, in that thread regarding avatars, people with "anime" avatars were near the top in terms of having shit thrown their way. Like if someone has a shitty opinion, just attack their opinion, not their "choice of clothing". How hard is that?

ehhh I find usually that most avatar quoters do it for the sake of not having a proper argument,

other times it's just really really funny when you read the quote and IMMEDIATELY see the avatar

G-Fex

But not because I'm on so holier-than-thou "I don't like it so I'm just not going to enter the thread! People like what they like!" tip, because I think the shit's gross and at some point you just have to draw a line with the whole grotesque sexualisation of what basically looks like a 9-year-old. If GAF banned moe wholesale tomorrow I'd applaud.

Me too.

He's not even my favorite stooge.

Anyway, reading those defenses about oppressing artistic freedom and such and controlling game making freedom. Really makes me think you know. About closing the browser that is.

Trey

A large reason why I don't have an avatar.

I seem to find that the avatar quote is mostly innocuous. No one in serious discussion uses it as an actual play.

Crocodile

Guys if I don't make it, tell my wife I said uguu~

Oh hey!

I'm still trying to decide if I over-reacted to your post or not (it might be more jokey than I initially read) but I do have to re-iterate I've seen "oh you have avatar X, fuck your opinion" as a sincere, non-jokey post VERY often on GAF. It comes off as very poor debate form and is promotes way too many generalizations for my tastes. So whenever I see it happen, especially from a leader of the community such as yourself, it makes me feel uncomfortable.

LOL

ehhh I find usually that most avatar quoters do it for the sake of not having a proper argument,

other times it's just really really funny when you read the quote and IMMEDIATELY see the avatar

If somebody can't be bothered to have a proper discussion/debate, then they should just leave the thread as opposed to posting. (This is in contrast to say two posters playfully ribbing each other) It just feels like straight up ad homeimem - Debate 101 tells you that's a terrible thing to do :(

ReiGun

On the one hand, yes. Attack the argument, not the person. Good policy and all that.

At the same token, it's getting harder to not notice certain trends among those sporting anime avatars in threads related to anime. Particular, the habit of defending games and shows with sexualized little girls. Does that trend automatically mean everyone with an anime avatar shared those views or that they don't have thoughts worth considering? Absolutely not. But it is a trend that people have seen.

Also, the idea that anime fans are persecuted is ridiculous. Everyone is prone to having their card pulled because of their avatar choice, whether it be a joke or an ad hominem (which is also usually just a joke). If it seems like anime folk get it worse, it's because of those trends I mentioned earlier.

Oh hey!

I'm still trying to decide if I over-reacted to your post or not (it might be more jokey than I initially read) but I do have to re-iterate I've seen "oh you have avatar X, fuck your opinion" as a sincere, non-jokey post VERY often on GAF. It comes off as very poor debate form and is promotes way too many generalizations for my tastes. So whenever I see it happen, especially from a leader of the community such as yourself, it makes me feel uncomfortable.

I was certainly intending it to be lighthearted but I had no idea there was going to be such a large scale persecution complex rearing its head in response. I wonder if the people accusing me of racism, culture-shaming etc realized that my username is an anime reference.

cdyhybrid

I was certainly intending it to be lighthearted but I had no idea there was going to be such a large scale persecution complex rearing its head in response. I wonder if the people accusing me of racism, culture-shaming etc realized that my username is an anime reference.

I don't remember any spanking of prepubescent girls in GitS, so probably not.

duckroll

I don't remember any spanking of prepubescent girls in GitS, so probably not.

I think that depends on whether you watched a proper release or bad fansubs!

vTm53gf.jpg

Crocodile

On the one hand, yes. Attack the argument, not the person. Good policy and all that.

At the same token, it's getting harder to not notice certain trends among those sporting anime avatars in threads related to anime. Particular, the habit of defending games and shows with sexualized little girls. Does that trend automatically mean everyone with an anime avatar shared those views or that they don't have thoughts worth considering? Absolutely not. But it is a trend that people have seen.

Also, the idea that anime fans are persecuted is ridiculous. Everyone is prone to having their card pulled because of their avatar choice, whether it be a joke or an ad hominem (which is also usually just a joke). If it seems like anime folk get it worse, it's because of those trends I mentioned earlier.

Don't worry, I'm not talking about obvious examples of jokes and playful ribbing. I'm also certainly aware it isn't something exclusive to "anime avatars". I've just seen people try to use "LOL avatar" way too often as a means to "mic drop" in serious conversations way too often for my tastes and I certainly mean outside eroge game threads since I rarely step into them. I know it's human nature to try to generalize and shortcut things but I feel people get a bit shortcut happy (and they themselves admit it). Plenty of "anime avatars" who have no interest in the latest creepy shit to come out of Japan get caught in the cross-fire and after a while your eyes get tired of rolling :/

If somebody has a shitty argument, it should be easy enough to blow up without going for "low hanging fruit".

How could anyone tell? Where was the broken Japanese? The inappropriate use of honorifics? :p

Talking seriously, I can't say I condone every single response you got but at the same time I don't think it's a persecution complex. A lot of people have been very lazy in how they debate and after a while the target of that ire is going to get tired/frustrated.

Village

I dont think thats what moe is, little broad. ( no pun intended, how ever it hilarious )

I ussually agree with ya on stuff

That said, as the top of your post suggests, instea of noticing anciotal trends, attack the flawed argument.

"But everone does..."
Maybe everyone one shouldn't.

I had a longer thing here about moderating and other stuff but I'm tried

andthebeatgoeson

So, basically, I have a black friend defense.
but-thats-none-of-my2.jpg

:p

Kreed

Was wondering why this thread exploded. Welcome back Devo.

That Criminal Girls thread was crazy. I'm glad those topics are being discouraged because it's a slippery slope. This whole "they are just cartoon characters/it's just a game" narrative can be moved into a lot of different areas and social issues that aren't allowed to be discussed here. For example, what if someone made a game where you star as a angry teenager and you shoot up a school? Or a Neo Nazi against minorities/LGBT people? No one decent wants those threads here outside of condemning those games.

Village

Was wondering why this thread exploded. Welcome back Devo.

That Criminal Girls thread was crazy. I'm glad those topics are being discouraged because it's a slippery slope. This whole "they are just cartoon characters/it's just a game" narrative can be moved into a lot of different areas and social issues that aren't allowed to be discussed here. For example, what if someone made a game where you star as a angry teenager and you shoot up a school? Or a Neo Nazi against minorities/LGBT people? No one decent wants those threads here outside of condemning those games.

I would like discuss how these hypothetical games would have come about. But that's more psychology and society than anything.

Also I know I'm late but if I could say something about those threads. I find that game disgusting and understand if peeps don't wanna talk about it, that said what upsets me the most is that when I browsed the reaction thread I saw the character designs I am super salt some couple of em were grreat and would bee interesting o see in a non that game. I know its problably the thing I shouldn't be focused and upset about

Slayven

Stan the first amendment because depictions of child abuse are "artistic expression" worth defending brehs.

I've got sunshine on a cloudy day.
When it's cold outside I've got the month of May.

I guess you'd say
What can make me feel this way?
My girl (my girl, my girl)
Talkin' 'bout my girl (my girl).

I've got so much honey the bees envy me.
I've got a sweeter song than the birds in the trees.

Well, I guess you'd say

Hey hey hey
Hey hey hey
Ooooh.

I don't need no money, fortune or fame.
I've got all the riches, baby, one man can claim.

Well, I guess you'd say

I've got sunshine on a cloudy day
With my girl.
I've even got the month of May
With my girl
Talkin' 'bout
Talkin' 'bout
Talkin' 'bout
My girl
Ooooh
My girl
As long as I can talk about my girl...

SmokyDave

If their choice of clothing was a t-shirt with a picture of a huge-titted prepubescent girl in a sexualised vulnerable pose, believe me it's going to affect the conversation.

Slayven

This thread is like waffle house, shit don't get popping till after 10pm. Got smokey dave and mods rolling through like an afterparty. Best thread ever

I don't really care what people think about me but if you enjoy sexualizing minors and I mean real ones like younger than 12-13 or so then your brain is fucked up.

Justify it however they want but some shit is just wrong regardless of what it might say about "slippery slope" and other buzzwords.

Crocodile

If their choice of clothing was a t-shirt with a picture of a huge-titted prepubescent girl in a sexualised vulnerable pose, believe me it's going to affect the conversation.

I was using clothing as a metaphor for avatars as objects people can use to identify themselves but are optional, removable and don't necessarily describe every aspect of them. Since NeoGaf thankfully forbids explicit avatars I'm not sure how what you said is relevant to the exact scenario we were talking about.

I don't have any problem with ridiculing people based upon their avatar its how you choose to represent yourself to the community and it is totally controlled b you. There is no financial or cultural restriction to your choice.

SmokyDave

I was using clothing as a metaphor for avatars as objects people can use to identify themselves but are optional, removable and don't necessarily describe every aspect of them.
Yeah, I got that.

Since NeoGaf thankfully forbids explicit avatars I'm not sure how what you said is relevant to the exact scenario we were talking about.
What I described was not 'explicit'.

Basically, if you choose to represent yourself by wearing a t-shirt / avatar with a 'Ford' logo on it, I'm not going to be all that surprised when you're defending exploding Pintos. It is unavoidably going to cloud my opinion of your opinions.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Anime avatar users can't say shit since the Little Pony brehs don't even get a chance to breathe in a thread before getting pounced.

Crocodile

I don't have any problem with ridiculing people based upon their avatar its how you choose to represent yourself to the community and it is totally controlled b you. There is no financial or cultural restriction to your choice.

If you're actually engaged in a conversation/debate/argument with a human being asking you attack their points not "what they look like" shouldn't be a tall order. I mean I can understand frustration if somebody is doubling down in dumbfuckery but as I've said what I don't like is how often people use it in favor of actual discussion and with a super wide brush :p

Yeah, I got that.

What I described was not 'explicit'.

Basically, if you choose to represent yourself by wearing a t-shirt / avatar with a 'Ford' logo on it, I'm not going to be all that surprised when you're defending exploding Pintos. It is unavoidably going to cloud my opinion of your opinions.

My apologies I thought you misunderstood my point. Regardless I've never seen an avatar that would raise eyebrows similar to how that hypothetical shirt would/should so I don't think the link works as well as you'd hope. Anyway, I don't think "raising an eyebrow" or turning a critical eye so to speak is bad at all but using it as an excuse to be dismissive or rude by itself is not ok.

Anime avatar users can't say shit since the Little Pony brehs don't even get a chance to breathe in a thread before getting pounced.

What if I also think they've gotten a bad rap even though I don't think there's anything particularly special about that show :p

ANYWAY, all I'm trying to say is A) attack the argument, not how said person looks like and B) don't punish the many for the dumbfuckery of the few. That is all I'm trying to say.

Zaverious

That Criminal Girls stuff just seem like common sense to me. Most people are going to be repulsed by it and discussions about it are always going to end up being about pedophilia, ridiculing people with anime avatars, and the eventual creepy posts with questionable content. No one wants to see that.

I've just been binging on HBO GO these past 2 weeks. I watched Eastbound and Down season 1-3, True Detective, and currently watching Six Feet Under in Season 3. I didn't expect them to be so good. How is Games of Thrones and True Blood?

Also, any of y'all watch General Hospital? This soap is my stupid fun drug.

If you're actually engaged in a conversation/debate/argument with a human being asking you attack their points not "what they look like" shouldn't be a tall order. I mean I can understand frustration if somebody is doubling down in dumbfuckery but as I've said what I don't like is how often people use it in favor of actual discussion and with a super wide brush :p

My apologies I thought you misunderstood my point. Regardless I've never seen an avatar that would raise eyebrows similar to how that hypothetical shirt would/should so I don't think the link works as well as you'd hope. Anyway, I don't think "raising an eyebrow" or turning a critical eye so to speak is bad at all but using it as an excuse to be dismissive or rude by itself is not ok.

What if I also think they've gotten a bad rap even though I don't think there's anything particularly special about that show :p

ANYWAY, all I'm trying to say is A) attack the argument, not how said person looks like and B) don't punish the many for the dumbfuckery of the few. That is all I'm trying to say.

I don't normally avatar quote since its basically not saying much of anything but I think it can be added to another point as a modifier. Then again, I've been online communicating since most posters have been in diapers so I look at things a lot differently.

ReiGun

Don't worry, I'm not talking about obvious examples of jokes and playful ribbing. I'm also certainly aware it isn't something exclusive to "anime avatars". I've just seen people try to use "LOL avatar" way too often as a means to "mic drop" in serious conversations way too often for my tastes and I certainly mean outside eroge game threads since I rarely step into them. I know it's human nature to try to generalize and shortcut things but I feel people get a bit shortcut happy (and they themselves admit it). Plenty of "anime avatars" who have no interest in the latest creepy shit to come out of Japan get caught in the cross-fire and after a while your eyes get tired of rolling :/

If somebody has a shitty argument, it should be easy enough to blow up without going for "low hanging fruit".

I dont think thats what moe is, little broad. ( no pun intended, how ever it hilarious )

I ussually agree with ya on stuff

That said, as the top of your post suggests, instea of noticing anciotal trends, attack the flawed argument.

"But everone does..."
Maybe everyone one shouldn't.

I had a longer thing here about moderating and other stuff but I'm tried

Perhaps you guys have had a different experience than me, because I've never seen avatar quoting or "what's with all these anime avatars?" get so bad that it interferes with discussion in a thread. For every one that does it, there's normally 2-4 posters in a thread having a (fruitless) back and forth with the anime crowd. People do attack the arguments. People do debate. Maybe not everyone; some go for the low hanging fruit. But never so many that it destroys the discussion. Even in the thread in question, there was plenty of debate going.

What's more, in my experience, pony gaf handles it better than anime gaf.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom