• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT7| Luigi took our stare

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gorillaz

The effects of that catwoman movie can still be felt today. WB is afraid to take another L like that again

edit: that whole "persona" of JLaw is starting to wear thin imo, that might do her in as well

Cameron Diaz as Wonder Woman.

I like Halle as an actress, but I wished she had more heavy and serious roles, like Monsters Ball without the jasons lyric type stuff except with Tommy Lee Jones or fucking whoever it was Billy Bob Horton. The Swordfish shit was horrible, the quick Bond girl toss was eyeroll worthy. She was capable of a lot more in her prime, but I guess it just wasn't there. Or it went to Meryll Streep.

The problem with Halle was...she couldn't do it. She just couldn't do it.

But most of those were just shitty movies in general, she wasn't the bad part of any of them.
and, to be fair, Cloud Atlas was one of her more recent films, and she was damn good in that. :(

Yeah but in Hollywood, you're only as good as the movies you make. This is especially true of Actresses. Megan Fox was looked at as a hot commodity because of her looks and Transformers... then she was in Jennifer's Body and tanked hard. Of course Bay helped out there too. Nobody is really watching bad movies and exempting good performances from them. The movie is bad, the actor's rep tanks with it.

edit: that whole "persona" of JLaw is starting to wear thin imo, that might do her in as well

Why is it that people assume it's a fake persona though? Because it's different? I mean, when celebs are caught on film being assholes, even once, everybody is quick to accept that as their "real" personality but this Jennifer Lawrence is a bit weird and awkward and it's gotta be fake?

Personally it doesn't affect me either way with her but it trips me out how people are really catching feelings because she tripped at an award show or did something stupid for a laugh at a fashion show.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Yeah but in Hollywood, you're only as good as the movies you make. This is especially true of Actresses. Megan Fox was looked at as a hot commodity because of her looks and Transformers... then she was in Jennifer's Body and tanked hard. Of course Bay helped out there too. Nobody is really watching bad movies and exempting good performances from them. The movie is bad, the actor's rep tanks with it.

Why is it that people assume it's a fake persona though? Because it's different? I mean, when celebs are caught on film being assholes, even once, everybody is quick to accept that as their "real" personality but this Jennifer Lawrence is a bit weird and awkward and it's gotta be fake?

Personally it doesn't affect me either way with her but it trips me out how people are really catching feelings because she tripped at an award show or did something stupid for a laugh at a fashion show.
She is trying.

Good agent and publicist but that kinda stuff gets played out quick.

Mortemis

Banned
I still think that Halle Berry hasn't been given a role that she could use to her full potential. Hopefully she starts tackling more and more serious films. But as some of y'all said, a good agent is hard to come across.

Not really the point of your post, but I'm kinda tripped out by the whole idea of waiting for someone to be an ass. All celebs deal with this, one moment of being just an ass can label your career. A lot of times it's justified, but I don't like it when I see people just waiting for an actor/actress to "show their true colors".

Gorillaz

because in most situations or award shows she plays up that same "I'm new to all of this and just going with the flow" which could be true at first but really? after getting nominated for Oscars and starring in high profile movies your still acting like that? it's just an eye roller after awhile

Not really the point of your post, but I'm kinda tripped out by the whole idea of waiting for someone to be an ass. All celebs deal with this, one moment of being just an ass can label your career. A lot of times it's justified, but I don't like it when I see people just waiting for an actor/actress to "show their true colors".

I just chalk that up to jealousy. I mean "haters gonna hate" is generally poor reductionist logic in most cases but I think it actually fits in those cases.

because in most situations or award shows she plays up that same "I'm new to all of this and just going with the flow" which could be true at first but really? after getting nominated for Oscars and starring in high profile movies your still acting like that? it's just an eye roller after awhile

I haven't seen a lot of her incidents or what have you but what I have seen didn't really come across to me as feigned naivete. To me she just seems like the kind of person who'd rather not bother with the media training and all that. I mean you see some athletes and comedians doing similar things (in their own way of course) but nobody really calls them out for being fake.

royalan

I don't think any actress (actress, especially) gets that far in Hollywood by not bothering with media training.

I'm willing to believe that Jennifer Lawrence likely is just a genuinely goofy person, but I also think she's a hell of a lot savvier than people give her credit for. To say that she just stumbles her way through Hollywood and just sort of lucks out on positive reception would almost be an insult to her. It takes work to get has big as Jennifer Lawrence is, and as quickly.

I think Jennifer Lawrence, while being genuine, also knows that America loves an Aw shucks attitude with a bit of a "down home" kinda of vibe, and I think she knows just when to turn it up.

Let's just see if she knows when to turn it down. Or else she's risks becoming the next Anne Hathaway.

RedSwirl

The "hood mentality" should get the same attention as post war syndrome.

Well the problem is people found out how to market "hood mentality."

eh, I used to do some private sector hiring- architects, engineers (civil, structural, mechanical, architectural) as well as finance.

Military resumes would come in and go right in the bin. It's not that PTSD was the issue, it was understanding how military experience is applicable to private sector work. Hiring managers can understand "I have an MS from Prestigious university and X years working in the field", but tell them you have a guy with military service and it's like trying to cram a square peg in a round hole.

Currently I work in the public sector for the state- they have a much better grasp of how that sort of thing is applicable, and preferential hiring for veterans.

edit: I should stop drinking when I'm on GAF. I get ornery.

Read something about this. It was about a guy who did "psi-ops" in Afghanistan and private sector employers didn't really know what to make of that. Once he actually described what "psi-ops" was it turned out to basically be what the private sector calls PR.

I don't think any actress (actress, especially) gets that far in Hollywood by not bothering with media training.

I'm willing to believe that Jennifer Lawrence likely is just a genuinely goofy person, but I also think she's a hell of a lot savvier than people give her credit for. To say that she just stumbles her way through Hollywood and just sort of lucks out on positive reception would almost be an insult to her. It takes work to get has big as Jennifer Lawrence is, and as quickly.

I think Jennifer Lawrence, while being genuine, also knows that America loves an Aw shucks attitude with a bit of a "down home" kinda of vibe, and I think she knows just when to turn it up.

Let's just see if she knows when to turn it down. Or else she's risks becoming the next Anne Hathaway.

I probably should've been clearer. I don't mean that she has no media training as much as she doesn't bother with the prim and proper aspect of it. She knows that the quirks in her personality make her likable so she lets that come through.

I still think that Halle Berry hasn't been given a role that she could use to her full potential. Hopefully she starts tackling more and more serious films. But as some of y'all said, a good agent is hard to come across.

Good agent and some roles other than historical/defined by her race.

Minority actors and actresses are lucky if they can get a role in a great film that's not about slavery, civil rights figures or athletes.

Slayven

I like to pretend the story of Lucy is about an attractive white woman discovering she can warp reality because she is a pretty white woman.

What is everyones thoughts on white women
If it ain't white it ain't right.....

Nah but seriously beauty is beauty. Race should be an afterthought when getting with someone but of course there are people who preferences. For example my ex is older white woman fairly good looking. When you see her you wouldn't expect her to be with a brother at all. But now that ya boy is back about to jump in the ocean, race is gonna be a none issue.

But at the same time I know cats who feel like what I've heard a comedian say once. The love of a white woman and a black woman are 2 different things. One is like a microwave meal and the other like an oven cooked meal. Both will feed you but one is quick and to the point. Tasty but just something missing. The other takes a while to warm up and once it comes out its satisfying.

I disagree. Cause at the end of the day they both made of that bullshit.

Lol.

What is everyones thoughts on white women
Where they at is what I usually say

Freckles and pale skin is #1-5 on the list of best things don't hate

No such thing as too many freckles
LN2+-+140.jpg

LN2+-+104.jpg

LN2+-+67.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom