• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT7| Luigi took our stare

Status
Not open for further replies.

Infinite

If cats don't know anyone who have experienced it then count your stars. I have a friend whose kid is suffering with that shit from years of abuse by her biological. A Fucking child family. I wanted to bust this fucksticks ass.

People close to me suffer from it. They too poor to go to therapy and they don't know exactly what they got. They smoke weed just to make through the day with out realizing they have a reliance on the drug.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I will say this before and I will say it again, I think if you are working a job, your job the government whoever should be paying you to see a therapist on the regular. You in school? Thereapist.

That's if you can even get a job.

My friend struggled to find employment for years after leaving the service because so many employers are afraid of the "risks" of PTSD (the stigma of the disease within out society) in the workplace. Even though he had gone through treatment and was completely stable, and was more than qualified for numerous positions he interviewed for.

Like damn the military just chewed him up and spit him out. and in civilian life it's all "thank you for your service" to your face while people give you side eyes and thinks you're crazy and want nothing to do with you.

That's if you can even get a job.

My friend struggled to find employment for years after leaving the service because so many employers are afraid of the "risks" of PTSD (the stigma of the disease within out society) in the workplace. Even though he had gone through treatment and was completely stable, and was more than qualified for numerous positions he interviewed for.

Like damn the military just chewed him up and spit him out. and in civilian life it's all "thank you for your service" to your face while people give you side eyes and thinks you're crazy and want nothing to do with you.

eh, I used to do some private sector hiring- architects, engineers (civil, structural, mechanical, architectural) as well as finance.

Military resumes would come in and go right in the bin. It's not that PTSD was the issue, it was understanding how military experience is applicable to private sector work. Hiring managers can understand "I have an MS from Prestigious university and X years working in the field", but tell them you have a guy with military service and it's like trying to cram a square peg in a round hole.

Currently I work in the public sector for the state- they have a much better grasp of how that sort of thing is applicable, and preferential hiring for veterans.

edit: I should stop drinking when I'm on GAF. I get ornery.

Slayven

eh, I used to do some private sector hiring- architects, engineers (civil, structural, mechanical, architectural) as well as finance.

Military resumes would come in and go right in the bin. It's not that PTSD was the issue, it was understanding how military experience is applicable to private sector work. Hiring managers can understand "I have an MS from Prestigious university and X years working in the field", but tell them you have a guy with military service and it's like trying to cram a square peg in a round hole.

Currently I work in the public sector for the state- they have a much better grasp of how that sort of thing is applicable, and preferential hiring for veterans.

dWl1iZC.jpg

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member

Maybe it's where he was looking then.

All I really know is what he told me and it was just hard seeing him struggle over what his military experience did to him

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant

real shit

i wouldn't put military experience on my resume at all UNLESS

i was applying to a place specifically asking for military
at place that i know for a fact is looking for vets in order to get the benefits/exemptions/etc
outside the us

see, funny story about this stuff. I used to throw wild ass parties at my place downtown, and would grab several cases of the good stuff, (plus another couple hundred worth of hard alcohol) and a case of $10 joke beer.

It was always either schlitz, Colt45, or steel reserve.

everyone. EVERYONE loved the joke beer. And it was a lot of white people getting lit up on Colt 45 and making jokes about it working "every time"

edit: wait, does that say shlitz on tap? That can't be real. TELL ME WHERE THAT BAR IS

Maybe it's where he was looking then.

All I really know is what he told me and it was just hard seeing him struggle over what his military experience did to him

could be. Tell him to look into public sector if he hasn't. I recently made the jump to public sector and I'm totally an evangelist. We hire everyone for everything you can think of, promote and train from within, and don't shit on employees.

It's amazing, like taking a flying balloon to oz

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
could be. Tell him to look into public sector if he hasn't. I recently made the jump to public sector and I'm totally an evangelist. We hire everyone for everything you can think of, promote and train from within, and don't shit on employees.

It's amazing, like taking a flying balloon to oz

Thanks. I'll check up with him

anyways enough serious shit in this thread for one day

DY_nasty

naw

we need mumei to come in and drop a well-written post on institutional racism with several links and a youtube vdoc that we'll all read, watch, then catnap in the fetal over before returning to chicken-talk to laugh the pain away

Slayven

naw

we need mumei to come in and drop a well-written post on institutional racism with several links and a youtube vdoc that we'll all read, watch, then catnap in the fetal over before returning to chicken-talk to laugh the pain away

we need to finish the week on an ain't shit note.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
naw

I'm kinda hoping for more tales of Daquan to come out before that happens

FyreWulff

There definitely should be more access / coverage to mental health professionals. It's one of those things Americans ignore and we only think of dealing with it when it's gotten too ugly or too late.

J10

Banned
I just love those awkward moments when a relative volunteer's me to entertain another relative that I've never met or spoken to who is visiting from outside of the country and I'm just like, 'Nah, I'm not doing that. If he's coming all the way from the EU without plans, that's none of my motherfucking business."

I live for these moments. These are the moments I feel most like a grownup.

The moments I feel most grown up is going to a titty bar and thinking "wow this is lame" and leaving.

they have their place. There's only one I'll think about going to though- that one I can hang out, have a beer, talk shit with strippers while watching a ball game. All they want is a dollar every 6-10 minutes or so, or if I'm talking to one a free drink with maybe a lapdance later.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Watching True Detective

Why am I just now finding out about Alexandra Daddario?

Mortemis

Banned
GAF is really trying me with this Halle Berry hate today. It's like 3 threads...

Just rolled into that Extant thread and saw that shit.

I'll probably catch that show tonight though.

I assume it revolves around her playing Storm. What the fuck else could a bunch of nerds have an issue with her for?

Storm and Catwoman. It's stupid as hell but it's probably the only things they've seen her in.

akira28

She could be a great actress. I feel like she needed to have a completely different agent and career arc. Because her Storm *is* not worth much comment.

Gorillaz

naw a lebron rumor that this dude labeled as fact led to the forum crashing the same time as the world cup shootout

he's been marked for death

I just looked, he crashed the site over that shit hahaha

I don't know if I would even comeback, or atleast create an alt

akira28

I also feel most like a grownup when I can manage to pee in my dreams while not actually wetting the bed.

never do this. it always ends in me waking up to go. But I will have a 15 minute long detailed dream about standing over a urinal though, before I get the message.

DY_nasty

She could be a great actress. I feel like she needed to have a completely different agent and career arc. Because her Storm *is* not worth much comment.

there were only like... 3 good castings in all of the xmen movies though between wolverine, magneto, and prof. prior to first class of course.

royalan

I just don't get it.

Halle was THE Black America's Sweetheart for much of her early career.

When she won the oscar for Best Actress, we rooted for her because not only was she was making history, but she genuinely deserved the recognition for her role in Monsters Ball
We shook our heads at "That Scene", but that was it.

Halle then did Introducing Dorothy Dandridge, won the Emmy and Golden Globe for Best Actress (putting her just a Tony away from the EGOT) and cemented her place as one of the greatest black actresses off all time, a true Hollywood A-Lister, and was one of the formative Hollywood big names to start the trend of A List actors doing HBO films.

Of all the things questioned about Halle (her tragic choice in men, for one), her acting ability was not.

...but then she makes Catwoman... -__-

akira28

Cameron Diaz as Wonder Woman.

I like Halle as an actress, but I wished she had more heavy and serious roles, like Monsters Ball without the jasons lyric type stuff except with Tommy Lee Jones or fucking whoever it was Billy Bob Horton. The Swordfish shit was horrible, the quick Bond girl toss was eyeroll worthy. She was capable of a lot more in her prime, but I guess it just wasn't there. Or it went to Meryll Streep.

...but then she makes Catwoman... -__-

And Gothika... and Perfect Stranger... and Dark Tide... and New Year's Eve... and The Call... and Movie 43...

I don't fault her for the X-Men franchise because they really don't give Storm much to do in the series but the majority of her stock falling has been a string of awful movie selections.

royalan

Cameron Diaz as Wonder Woman.

I like Halle as an actress, but I wished she had more heavy and serious roles, like Monsters Ball without the jasons lyric type stuff except with Tommy Lee Jones or fucking whoever it was Billy Bob Horton. The Swordfish shit was horrible, the quick Bond girl toss was eyeroll worthy. She was capable of a lot more in her prime, but I guess it just wasn't there. Or it went to Meryll Streep.

I think where Halle fucked up was in trying to balance being a vetted "legit" actress (which got her roles), and maintaining her status as a Hollywood Vixen (which also got her roles...and endorsements...and just a shit-ton of money in general).

Same thing happened to Charlize Theron.

Same thing is happening to Jennifer Lawrence.

And Gothika... and Perfect Stranger... and Dark Tide... and New Year's Eve... and The Call... and Movie 43...

I don't fault her for the X-Men franchise because they really don't give Storm much to do in the series but the majority of her stock falling has been a string of awful movie selections.

But most of those were just shitty movies in general, she wasn't the bad part of any of them.
and, to be fair, Cloud Atlas was one of her more recent films, and she was damn good in that. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom