• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT7| Luigi took our stare

Status
Not open for further replies.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
The thing is, I marathoned Macross 7 in 2 weeks.

It was the most painfully rewarding marathon in my life. And I can't even recommend the show to anyone. If I run into someone and they mention that they've seen it - we never talk about it. We just head nod and move on. No one can grasp that level of fuckery. Its enlightenment. The Five Pillars of Dumb Shit. The Art of Reasons. #Fuqavelli.

But it entertained. And it was worth it in some weird, twisted sense of "well, i'm stronger for it" type of way.

But even at it's worst - It was still miles ahead of SEED and Destiny. That's just horrifying.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
The thing is, I marathoned Macross 7 in 2 weeks.

It was the most painfully rewarding marathon in my life. And I can't even recommend the show to anyone. If I run into someone and they mention that they've seen it - we never talk about it. We just head nod and move on. No one can grasp that level of fuckery. Its enlightenment. The Five Pillars of Dumb Shit. The Art of Reasons. #Fuqavelli.

But it entertained. And it was worth it in some weird, twisted sense of "well, i'm stronger for it" type of way.

But even at it's worst - It was still miles ahead of SEED and Destiny. That's just horrifying.

because 7 is stupid fun, but dumb. seed is is angry dumb. shit characters everywhere doing dumbass things. and kira... fuck

DominoKid

If you thought the second season of 00 was bad to garbage tier the movie will make you lose hope in a decent non UC or UC related gundam altogether. Like if you thought Wing was too much with the pacifist shit...whew.

I also have the controversial anime (mecha anime too) opinion that Evangelion is garbage and that RahXephon > Evangelion. I hate Evangelion, I hate people who crusade for it, hate hate hate hate. I actually actively ignore people tout mad love for Eva on some opposing gang shit.

i agree but i don't think RahXephon is that great either. i did enjoy it though.

another mech series i liked was Star Driver despite the fact that on paper it looks like some shit i would detest. high school hijinks. largely based around a love triangle. a MC that always wins just because. but i loved it. probably because it was all so lighthearted at its core.

it's like a sitcom w/ a music video and a 5 min Monster of the Week fight for the MC to swag out. and the finale is one of the most incredible mech displays out there. 20 straight minutes of animation piff. the first 5 minutes of the movie are incredible as well. the rest is all a recap.

Tokubetsu

i agree but i don't think RahXephon is that great either. i did enjoy it though.

another mech series i liked was Star Driver despite the fact that on paper it looks like some shit i would detest. high school hijinks. largely based around a love triangle. a MC always wins just because. but i loved it.

it's like a sitcom w/ a music video and a 5 min Monster of the Week fight for the MC to swag out. and the finale is one of the most incredible mech displays out there. 20 straight minutes of animation piff. the first 5 minutes of the movie are incredible as well. the rest is all a recap.

RahXephon hits me in a really emotional place (one episode in particular) that only 2 other mecha shows/things do. The last 15-20 or so eps of Zeta and Gunbuster. I haven't watched Gunbuster in like six years because I get sad as fuck by that last episode.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
because 7 is stupid fun, but dumb. seed is is angry dumb. shit characters everywhere doing dumbass things. and kira... fuck

It was so fucking stupid.

"We need help! We're about to get pulled into the sun!"

*sings*

"The ships being ripped apart by the gravity well - where are you?!"

*sings*

"Damnit - we're getting burned alive! HELP US!"

*sings louder*

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Gunbuster is fantastic

The best part about the ending to me is that apparently the message on Earth isn't grammatically correct, hinting that Japanese has become an archaic language that they had to research

Idk man but that little detail made the ending so much better to me. Shame that it's lost in translation

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Macross Frontier will make you appreciate 7 but I wouldn't tell anyone to watch Frontier.

when michel got dropped i dropped it. i liked the yf units, but alto was no hikaru, and without his max i didnt care anymore

Tokubetsu

Gunbuster is fantastic

The best part about the ending to me is that apparently the message on Earth isn't grammatically correct, hinting that Japanese has become an archaic language that they had to research

Idk man but that little detail made the ending so much better to me. Shame that it's lost in translation

Even without that detail the whole idea of coming back to a home you gave everything save your life to defend only for it to be completely foreign to you. Fucking heartbreaking.

Also co-sign Space Battleship Yamato remake being amazing.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Since we're talking robots, time to spread the good word

Giant Robo is the best show featuring giant robots

C5BXxot.jpg

Directed by the same person behind G Gundam and has staff that would later go on to create Big O.(which was heavily influenced by the style of Giant Robo)

If you haven't seen Giant Robo we can't talk about robot shows .(Please watch it only seven episodes please)

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Even without that detail the whole idea of coming back to a home you gave everything save your life to defend only for it to be completely foreign to you. Fucking heartbreaking.

I thought it was the opposite.

I thought it was supposed to be extremely heart warming and optimistic. That not only has human civilization lasted 12,000 years because of their sacrifice, but the world didn't forget what they did to save everyone,even after all that time.

Gorillaz

Since yall talking about that shit I just wanted to say I've been watching Deathnote on Netflix

This shit is raw, brehs. It's pretty good

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Yo when was the last good scifi anime?

Kaiba

In Kaiba, memories can be stored as computerized information, so that when people's bodies die, their minds can live on. This digitization of mental information allows both the transference of one's mind to someone else's body, and the theft and alteration of other people's memories. Society has fallen apart as authority has become lost and stagnant. In the skies are roiling clouds and electrical storms, impossible to pass without losing one's memories; above them lies the elusive realm of the rich and powerful, who barter others' bodies and memories for their own enjoyment and longevity. Below lies a troubled and dangerous world where good bodies are hard to come by and real money is scarce.

The series begin as a boy named Kaiba awakens in a ruined room. He has no memories, but he does have a pendant with a picture of an unknown woman inside. After suddenly being attacked, Kaiba escapes into space, and during his travels meets all sorts of people and regains his memories. Throughout it, he continues to be troubled by the world's problems, as well as his own existence. When his brutal past comes to light, he must face all who wish to see him dead. Meanwhile, the woman from the pendant struggles with her cultic convictions and her own memories, which may be intertwined with Kaiba's origins.

Directed by dude who did Ping Pong if that helps

Mortemis

Banned
If you thought the second season of 00 was bad to garbage tier the movie will make you lose hope in a decent non UC or UC related gundam altogether. Like if you thought Wing was too much with the pacifist shit...whew.

I also have the controversial anime (mecha anime too) opinion that Evangelion is garbage and that RahXephon > Evangelion. I hate Evangelion, I hate people who crusade for it, hate hate hate hate. I actually actively ignore people tout mad love for Eva on some opposing gang shit.

Err, yeah I'll pass. Season one was cool but season two dropped the ball hard. If the movie's that bad then I'd rather not piss myself off.

Trey

Why's it so hard to understand women don't exist to coddle you and entertain your bullshit unless they want to.

Read a couple posts today that made me go "oh, this is why Devo is always making vague passive aggressive references in the BCT."

Some of those protagonist posts made me go "well, damn." I knew women got the short deal, and that the "men too" arguments were trifling, but damn.

Read a couple posts today that made me go "oh, this is why Devo is always making vague passive aggressive references in the BCT."

Some of those protagonist posts made me go "well, damn." I knew women got the short deal, and that the "men too" arguments were trifling, but damn.

That whole "us too!" shit gets so fucking annoying.

I could show you some things but that gif with that thread title directed at me is decent enough at that.

ReiGun

Y'all talking about mecha and I'm just like "Gurren Lagann was cool..."

I could never get into mecha anime like that. Never did much for me. GL and Geass are the only one's I've watched to completion. Pretty much couldn't stand Eva when I tried it, and Rahxephon put me to sleep every episode I turned on.

Silky

Banned

I could never get into mecha anime like that. Never did much for me. GL and Geass are the only one's I've watched to completion. Pretty much couldn't stand Eva when I tried it, and Rahxephon put me to sleep every episode I turned on.

Pretty much this. Gurren Lagann is the only 'mecha' anime that really struck me. Funny because Cyberbots is the only fighting game I'd love to see an anime out of because the cast is so damn good.

--

I'm more excited to watch DBZ Kai Uncut on Toonami than Gurren Lagann for the 8th time

Trey

That whole "us too!" shit gets so fucking annoying.

They usually start off with some shit I'm vibing with talmbout "yeah we should strive to treat all people better" and then they pull a fast one like "but women aren't the only ones who get harassed; someone called me an asshole on XBL the other week."

I could show you some things but that gif with that thread title directed at me is decent enough at that.

Shit ain't right, b. And you and the usual are in there doing your thing all level headed and shit with reasoned posts and Mumei stay killing the whole game with some four paragraph passage that makes people wish they finished school and some random drives by with "gaming culture is so toxic lol" and that's what all the fuckboys respond to.

Jado

Banned
Remnant isnt really black, right? I've never encountered a black person that fucking crazy acting like a real-life Ruckus type. Has to be a troll.

everyone knows gurren lagann is better than evangelion anyways.

They usually start off with some shit I'm vibing with talmbout "yeah we should strive to treat all people better" and then they pull a fast one like "but women aren't the only ones who get harassed; someone called me an asshole on XBL the other week."

Cats are so threatened by this equality shit.

Or they refuse to realize/accept just how much further it goes against us. Like stalking, rape/death threats, and constant badgering just for talking on mic or being a visible part of a dev team or hell posting on a gaming forum.

Yea, unfortunately most don't want to hear that because most likely it makes them uncomfortable. So they rebuttal with either BS, strawman arguments, pointless anecdotes or the "us too" shenanigans.

Order

I said it the other day that the "lol tumblr" shit had reached critical mass. A bunch of people in the Dear White People thread have responded with that empty criticism.
It's funny. One dude even said he had no idea what it meant. He just added it to make his post look better.

ReiGun

That's why I could never get down with the social justice warrior/lol tumblr rhetoric. Just empowering for idiots who want to be dismissive asshats.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom