• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT7| Luigi took our stare

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trey

Just saw City of God. It was okay. I think I'm over wanton violence and gangster movies. It's just not interesting when it reaches peak levels of violence and you don't care for the characters or the city.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
i liked city of god but i still thought it was overrated
You talking about the most recent episode? That beatdown was so damn good. Had me rewinding and seeing it multiple times. All that build up for that too made it even more satisfying.

breh

balancing his checkbook with asswhoopings

1000 punches. you can pick em up at the end of the day
iIBAa3cEKWXHH.gif

Infinite

What you guys think about dudes talking in a thread about race or racism and sort of prefacing what they're going to say with "I'm a liberal"?

DY_nasty

What you guys think about dudes talking in a thread about race or racism and sort of prefacing what they're going to say with "I'm a liberal"?

I'd rather deal with an upfront, self-admitted (at least in the privacy of their own home/group/mind racist) than the ones that think they're beyond it and try to justify their shit with buzzwords, misrepresentation, patronization, and general fuckery.

ReiGun

I actually didn't think anyone hated The Boondocks because it was anti-black.Criticism or satire of black culture in the US is apparently self hate now...

That's not a new opinion at all.

Any representation of black folk that isn't totally positive is some form of self-hate, regardless of intent or execution, in the eyes of some.

Kreed

I actually didn't think anyone hated The Boondocks because it was anti-black.Criticism or satire of black culture in the US is apparently self hate now...

I remember him from the Boondocks season 4 thread. Despite watching the first episode right along with us and had no issues with McGruder then, he clearly had a dislike for the Uncle Ruckus character.

Reading interviews of Mcgruder, there is a little self hate in there to. Dude is almost on some Big Brother Hakeem shit.

McGruder does have some muslim teachings in his lifestyle (Huey showed off the book "How To Eat To Live" in season 1 of the boondocks), but I don't call that self hate. "Self-hate" was always for black people who were seen as sell outs/uncle toms. Not black people pushing for black empowerment, even the crazy ones.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member

That's the danger of satire. Especially in the age of social media

You run the risk of someone taking your work at face value and using it out of context to perpetuate exactly what you aimed to criticize in the first place.

It's why I think satire is a shit form of social commentary and entertainment, and personally why I could never fuck with the boondocks

http://atlantablackstar.com/2014/01/08/8-worst-countries-black-people-travel/

anyone agree it comes off a little nitpicky? well atleast with some of the countries they mention specific cities....

I've been to most of those countries. Hell, there was a Skinhead rally about 3 blocks from our hotel last year at Gamescom or so I'm told (sure as hell wasn't going over there).

Overall, there's some truth there, I do get stared at every time I'm in China, especially outside the cities. First time it happened, it was actually a small boy, who simply pointed and smiled, and so did his grandparents. Co-workers just explained that it's rare in the country. Most of the time I'm with a group of co-workers anyway, so if its there, I don't noitce anyway. Korea, didn't notice it really. Japan, not really there either, although these are usually shorter trips.

Infinite

You run the risk of someone taking your work at face value and using it out of context to perpetuate exactly what you aimed to criticize in the first place.

It's why I think satire is a shit form of social commentary and entertainment, and personally why I could never fuck with the boondocks

I can agree with this even what you put in the spoilers.

DY_nasty

That explains why I wasn't having any fun.

There's generally a lot of information about the gameplay and whattodos that simply didn't get out. If you weren't tied to a message board, community, or something along those lines - you were going to miss some key details.

And then there was a lot of bitching and shouting from the hills by people who flatout suck at the game or thought they'd be playing Skyrim or something.

J10

Banned
I wish I could just play with normalized weapons and no supers. But even then it's not much fun with no one communicating. Even the PvE is dull without a fireteam - I was 100% I would at least enjoy going solo before the beta. I can't see myself buying this, which is kinda surprising. I expected it to be a lot more fun than it was.

DY_nasty

I wish I could just play with normalized weapons and no supers. But even then it's not much fun with no one communicating. Even the PvE is dull without a fireteam - I was 100% I would at least enjoy going solo before the beta. I can't see myself buying this, which is kinda surprising. I expected it to be a lot more fun than it was.

weapons are normalized outside of IB - and if someone ever used a super and killed you and only you, then you won.

and i'm sure there will be a lot more communication options in the future. the voice chat has more than a few issues as well as the matchmaking in PvE areas that are all certainly to get addressed (but no one is talking about them lol. instead ppl want to complain about other dumb stuff like 'story' in a fuckin beta)

royalan

The thing about most satire is that it's preaching to the choir. It's entertainment for people who understand the stereotypes and culture well enough to connect to it and get the joke. Satire isn't effective at educating the outsiders. If you're white and really not even trying to understand, and if you're already just a tad bit racist, sure--you might look at an episode of the Boondocks and think, "isn't this exactly what they don't want us to think about them?" But that's almost kind of the point.

Kreed

http://atlantablackstar.com/2014/01/08/8-worst-countries-black-people-travel/

anyone agree it comes off a little nitpicky? well atleast with some of the countries they mention specific cities....

I can't take that list seriously, especially with Germany being on it. While I can agree that there are parts in any country that are less friendly to black people/foreigners than others, based on the examples and reasons the article lists for each country, black people shouldn't live/travel anywhere in the US either.

DY_nasty

yal need to clarify about the boondocks

if its seasons 1-3, satire

4, utter shit

royalan

Besides, that White Self-Hate thread is exactly one wrong post away from becoming a white pride parade.

I'm loving all the "Of course I'm not ashamed of being white, AND WHY SHOULD I BE?!? White people invented shit!"

And it's like...whoareyoueventalkingto.gif

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing
Besides, that White Self-Hate thread is exactly one wrong post away from becoming a white pride parade.

I'm loving all the "Of course I'm not ashamed of being white, AND WHY SHOULD I BE?!? White people invented shit!"

GAT OT never disappoints. People play their roles to perfection, its quite the sight to see.

Like, that thread went EXACTLY as i expected it to.

Trey

It was a confused thread from the beginning. Coldvein, the op, talked about a situation where another white person was dogging him and his girl. So it was supposed to be a thread about those "I hate white people" white people.

SmokyDave

What else is it going to be though? Of course I don't experience self-loathing due to my skin colour. Why on earth would I?

Then, given that we're constantly reminded how privileged we are for being white, why wouldn't we be grateful for that?

I kinda feel like we can't win. If I'm not grateful, I'm ignorant of my privilege. If I am grateful, I'm lording it over people. That's why I didn't post in that thread, there are only 'wrong' answers.

hypernima

Banned
What else is it going to be though? Of course I don't experience self-loathing due to my skin colour. Why on earth would I?

Then, given that we're constantly reminded how privileged we are for being white, why wouldn't we be grateful for that?

I kinda feel like we can't win. If I'm not grateful, I'm ignorant of my privilege. If I am grateful, I'm lording it over people. That's why I didn't post in that thread, there are only 'wrong' answers.

Don't think of the whole thing as this, you acknowledge your privilege so now what?
Once you have the realization, you can open yourself to the fact that whiteness as a whole needs to be dismantled and that things need to be more equalized. However, one can not solely do that using their privilege.

By not participating in maintaining it, and calling others out on their role in racism, that is sorta how you do it.

False dichotomy.

You can be aware of your privilege and choose not to perpetuate the things that have contributed to the construction of such a system.

DY_nasty

That thread was doomed from the start because it was based off of someone's insecurities and subtle needs for hugs instead of the question asked. I wouldn't even further that discussion there or continue on.

strobogo

Banned
I never thought about it, but I believe being a middle lower middle class cis white male is probably why I've had such issues with depression.

SmokyDave

Don't think of the whole thing as this, you acknowledge your privilege so now what?
Once you have the realization, you can open yourself to the fact that whiteness as a whole needs to be dismantled and that things need to be more equalized. However, one can not solely do that using their privilege.

By not participating in maintaining it, and calling others out on their role in racism, that is sorta how you do it.
Yeah, I dig that and it's how I live my life. My issue is that if someone straight asks me how it is to be white, I'm gonna tell 'em. It's pretty fucking good.

I don't think that whiteness needs to be dismantled. We aren't given anything special. We're just not laden down with superfluous bullshit from outside sources like everyone else. Whiteness doesn't need to be dismantled, it needs to be re-labelled and offered to everyone.

False dichotomy.

You can be aware of your privilege and choose not to perpetuate the things that have contributed to the construction of such a system.
Indeed, and I do. Problem is, you're still kinda scuppered if anyone asks you how it feels to be white / whether you're burdened with white privilege.

It's not a real problem worth sweating over, it's just a temporary awkward moment if someone asks (and genuinely wants to know) how it feels to be white. It's like being tall. I did nothing to earn this shit, but by god I'm grateful and I can't deny that fact.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member

I don't think the purpose of discussing "white privilege" is to get you to do either, so maybe that's your problem

People don't discuss white privilege to make white people appreciate how much they benefit from racism in society,(lol) but to highlight the difference in treatment that people of color experience because they aren't white.

edit: oh people have already basically said what I wanted to

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom