• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT7| Luigi took our stare

Status
Not open for further replies.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
shit's back up

bungie stop fucking with me

thirst.jpg

YO, how DA Fuck did Lucy make $44 million this weekend.

Who is paying for that shit?

"Use 100% of your brain and go see Lucy this weekend!"

the "we only use 12% of our brains" thing is the dumbest shit

up there with "bees are too heavy to fly with their own wings"

THEN HOW DO THEY FLY

harSon

Banned
If this helps pave the way to some diversity (probably won't), then praise be to Basedgod.

edit:

Not sure if it's done or not, but yes. I saw the trailer in theaters recently.

How would it pave the way for diversity? Young attractive white actresses aren't exactly underrepresented in film, and it's not like this type of film hasn't been done before. The Resident Evil series and Salt for example, were both successful tentpole action films starring white actresses alongside diverse side characters.

http://i.imgur.com/iXUOPBu.png

^^Screencap

they is they own worst enemy

To that fuckstick it was the greatest and most harrowing day in his internet life,
to BCT and all members associated it was a sunday.

I am probably gonna see it because its Luc Besson. Regardless of quality he is one of my favorite directors/producers good and bad. I know you cats already mentioned his other acclaimed films but I loved Angel-A and Lockout.

Furyous

Explosions, blonde hair, hot tits, and erika murphy (blonde girl from 8 mile) effect. She seems 1940's docile i.e. trophy wife bake the cake, feed the kids, sing hymns before bed type of woman. For the record, that scares me.

Can we add political party to the list of questions? Let me start:

I'm a republican that's fed up with the direction of the party and wanted Mitt Romney to win and cut ALLLL this free shit people getting including:

Farm Aid because fuck farmers and this big government shit.
Social Security because old people scared they would lose their country voted for the wrong guy.
Subsidies to businesses are cool but we need more.
Federal student loans because work up by your bootstraps like Mitt Romney.

Willard would be out of office in a week and all of the tea party racists would go back to their in bred colonies.

I voted for Obama because he's black. He handed Willard his shit. I couldn't stand hearing about President Romney in church so many times. LOL, my congregation was MAD AS SHIT the next Sunday looking at me with entitled anger and disappointment.

harSon

Banned
I love Besson too, but dude keeps retreading the same shit over and over. Look at his writing credits, it all blends together. He was one of the best in the business from '88 to '97 and now everything with his name attached is merely average at best, with glimpses here and there of what made him great in his prime.

Reminder that the phrase "diverse people" reinforces white supremacy. Diversity requires an aggregate, not "well they're not a white dude." I am not diverse, but I post in a diverse group here. The Wire is not diverse, but has a diverse cast. If you say "hire some diverse people" and mean "hire a non-white guy", you aint bout dat life, son.

I love Besson too, but dude keeps retreading the same shit over and over. Look at his writing credits, it all blends together. He was one of the best in the business from '88 to '97 and now everything with his name attached is merely average at best, with glimpses here and there of what made him great in his prime.

I feel you.

Reminder that the phrase "diverse people" reinforces white supremacy. Diversity requires an aggregate, not "well they're not a white dude." I am not diverse, but I post in a diverse group here. The Wire is not diverse, but has a diverse cast. If you say "hire some diverse people" and mean "hire a non-white guy", you aint bout dat life, son.

Comics love to do this

How would it pave the way for diversity? Young attractive white actresses aren't exactly underrepresented in film, and it's not like this type of film hasn't been done before. The Resident Evil series and Salt for example, were both successful tentpole action films starring white actresses alongside diverse side characters.

Yea then look at the gap of time between RE, Salt and Lucy, then see how many white male movies fill it.

Or if people really want a mindfuck. The last action movie with a black female lead was what? Colombiana back in 2011...(coincidentally Luc Besson directed that as well) and before that...Catwoman?

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy

C'mon fam, how many films do we get a year with female action leads? Compare that to male. That's what I meant.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Yeah... I'm about pack it in regarding Destiny. I caught myself looking real slayvenous just now. Dynasty Warriors Gundam needs me.

Because women are rarely a protag outside of a biopic or a romcom.

harSon

Banned
Yea then look at the gap of time between RE, Salt and Lucy, then see how many white male movies fill it.

Or if people really want a mindfuck. The last action movie with a black female lead was what? Colombiana back in 2011...(coincidentally Luc Besson directed that as well) and before that...Catwoman?

C'mon fam, how many films do we get a year with female action leads? Compare that to male. That's what I meant.

Because women are rarely a protag outside of a biopic or a romcom.

My point is the fact that successes that go against the grain rarely result in changes to the status quo. Hollywood always misses the point. The ONLY thing Hollywood will get out of this, and I guarantee this, is the belief that Scarlet Johanson can put people in theater seats. They rarely take such a success as a hint that audiences are open to watching movies without a white male actor. Will Smith and Denzel Washington being in successful movie after successful movie didn't pave the road for black actors in tentpole films, it simply paved the road for more movies starring themselves. The same was true for actresses like Mila Jovovich, Zoe Saldana, etc.

My point is the fact that successes that go against the grain rarely result in changes to the status quo. Hollywood always misses the point. The ONLY thing Hollywood will get out of this, and I guarantee this, is the belief that Scarlet Johanson can put people in theater seats. They rarely take such a success as a hint that audiences are open to watching movies without a white male actor. Will Smith and Denzel Washington being in successful movie after successful movie didn't pave the road for black actors in tentpole films, it simply paved the road for more movies starring themselves. The same was true for actresses like Mila Jovovich, Zoe Saldana, etc.

Well next time make that point instead of acting like you don't know what someone is talking about?

harSon

Banned
Well next time make that point instead of acting like you don't know what someone is talking about?

I kind of did?

Trey

I'm reading Avengers #12 and it was cool until Stark starts monologuing about the world we live in while he has the means to change reality at his fingertips. It's really the downfall of comics when you have entities of this scale: removes too much logic and tension from the entire production.

harSon

Banned
Sort of.

You could also make the point, if we're going there, that it tends to be a director's "thing" too. Like we're getting female protags because of Besson, and that when he's out of the game it's also back to the status quo.

Definitely.

You would think there'd be a bit more parity in action films with the successes of The Hunger Games, Kill Bill, The Underworld Series, Salt, Divergent, Snow White and the Huntsman, Resident Evil, Tomb Raider, etc. It's pretty clear movie goers are willing to watch these types of films with a female protagonist, and you could make the argument that on average, they're a lot more successful than their male driven counterparts.

The next step is removing Hollywood's insistence on sexualizing a lot of these characters.

DY_nasty

Bro are you out of the military? I haven't been updated on your shit lately.

August 20th is the day (I hope). Tomorrow is my birthday (and last day I pay rent out here).

I'm fucked up and legit shook. Too scared to be as happy as I should be.

Oldschoolgamer

Definitely.

You would think there'd be a bit more parity in action films with the successes of The Hunger Games, Kill Bill, The Underworld Series, Salt, Divergent, Snow White and the Huntsman, Resident Evil, Tomb Raider, etc. It's pretty clear movie goers are willing to watch these types of films with a female protagonist, and you could make the argument that on average, they're a lot more successful than their male driven counterparts.

The next step is removing Hollywood's insistence on sexualizing a lot of these characters.

I think Scar Jo and Gal are in a better position then the rest of them, due to the popularity of comic book movies and the juggernauts whom are backing them. If Disney and Marvel stop dicking around and get one of the main female comic leads a film, I think that might help out a bit more. Same with WB and WW. That's all optimism and fantasy though, and definitely not to take away from the other actresses.

This just reminds me that we live in a world where The X-Men have movies, and Black Widow is the go to character for these types of topics...

DY_nasty

I really would love to get into comics - preferably something I could just put on my phone. Just dont know where to start.

Kreed

The biggest chance for change will be when more studios create franchises/make movies based off of franchises starring non white male actors and actresses (ex: The Hunger Games). You're right that Hollywood is missing the point, because they are trying to figure out the easiest way to get the same success financially. When you have Will Smith or Denzel Washington headlining a single film, film studios assume that the easiest way to get the same success is to make a film starring these actors and that the actor is the box office draw instead of black men in lead roles = money.

However when you are trying to copy a franchise (particularly one based off of another property) it's more difficult, because it is the franchise itself that is putting people into seats, not just the actors. And usually these actors are tied to the franchise, so they are less likely to be involved in another one. So instead they look for properties/try to write properties that look and sound similar to the hit they want to copy.

TLDR: Hurry up with the Black Panther movie.

Mortemis

Banned
I really would love to get into comics - preferably something I could just put on my phone. Just dont know where to start.

I'm just getting into comics too. Grabbed that $.99 marvel unlimited deal and just picked up the most recent x-men and started. Lol, I'd love some help on what to read.

I'm using my nexus 5 and it's running really good for me.

harSon

Banned

It's probably easier to get into self contained graphic novels, than it is to get into your traditional Marvel/DC super hero comics. Stuff like Alan Moore's comics (Watchmen, From Hell, V for Vendetta, Swamp Thing, The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, etc.), Sandman, Y the Last Man, Fables, Preacher, The Invisibles, Maus, Transmetropolitan, 100 Bullets etc.

Oldschoolgamer

I'm just getting into comics too. Grabbed that $.99 marvel unlimited deal and just picked up the most recent x-men and started. Lol, I'd love some help on what to read.

I'm using my nexus 5 and it's running really good for me.

Marvel's site kinda sucks, in terms of finding out what connects. I ended up using Comicvine to search for characters and find what arcs to follow.

^ oh word? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrj2fdguI1I

People talking about not being able to jump off cliffs basically. Some guy was acting like Destiny is the only game to use spawn closets too which just had me like "gotta leave, its that thread now". The 'lanes' are very easy to identify after about 30 minutes of playing. People expected Skyrim though. Which is lol - but whatever. The world is more similar to Diablo 3 imo but there's not even discussion to be had in that particular thread between the exaggerations on both sides of the argument.

Another person literally compared Destiny's content to Titanfall.

i jumped off a few places expecting to die.. and i either did or got a 10 second countdown. i didn't wait 10 seconds to see what happened.

Niggas got man sized EVA drones and moonbases but nukes are still the big stick weapon. What?

You have valid points but you just gotta roll with that shit bruh

This is the same universe with a population that threw superheroes that save them on a daily basis to the bushes off of one incident

ReiGun

Marvel Digital Comics Unlimited and Comixology are both available on mobile. The former is doing a .99 cent for a month promotion atm and the latter has regular sales. Both are good services.

As for where to start, just find something you like and start reading. Or ask for recommendations.

Mortemis

Banned
Marvel's site kinda sucks, in terms of finding out what connects. I ended up using Comicvine to search for characters and find what arcs to follow.

Yeah, I noticed that. I'll try out comicvine, thanks. I think I'll just read up on GoTG since that's what I'm hyped on right now. Can't wait for the movie.

I don't like their pc reader, but I'm not having problems with the android app. Kinda wish I had a tablet for this, that's probably the best way to read through stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom