• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT7| Luigi took our stare

Status
Not open for further replies.

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing
That Destiny thread got better. Much better.

giphy.gif

As for comics, am really digging Moon Knight at present.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
It's probably easier to get into self contained graphic novels, than it is to get into your traditional Marvel/DC super hero comics. Stuff like Alan Moore's comics (Watchmen, From Hell, V for Vendetta, Swamp Thing, The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, etc.), Sandman, Y the Last Man, Fables, Preacher, The Invisibles, Maus, Transmetropolitan, 100 Bullets etc.

not really. just pick up a issue and start from there. it isnt difficult at all

Drinking on a budget 101.

Can of Sprite.
Cup of OJ.
Imported vodka bottles for a apartment warming.
Mix.
Enjoy.

Get mad you don't have enough money to get Rio'd.

harSon

Banned
not really. just pick up a issue and start from there. it isnt difficult at all

It's definitely intimidating. Just starting from the beginning of a self contained novel (this includes stuff like Kingdom Come, Batman Year One, etc. by the way) is definitely easier than having to research which issues/volumes/runs of Black Panther are worth reading, and which are horse shit and not worth reading.

It depends what he's trying to do. If he's trying to get into comic books in general, then self contained graphic novels are definitely a great jumping off point. If he's trying to get into Marvel/DC Superheroes, then I'd recommend picking a hero and simply Googling some recommendations in terms of which runs to focus on, because the lows of comic books are pretty fucking low.

Definitely.

You would think there'd be a bit more parity in action films with the successes of The Hunger Games, Kill Bill, The Underworld Series, Salt, Divergent, Snow White and the Huntsman, Resident Evil, Tomb Raider, etc. It's pretty clear movie goers are willing to watch these types of films with a female protagonist, and you could make the argument that on average, they're a lot more successful than their male driven counterparts.

The next step is removing Hollywood's insistence on sexualizing a lot of these characters.

i still can't believe DIvergent made money.

J10

Banned
J10, slayven, I have a month of Marvel Unlimited.

Guide me.

Comedy
She-Hulk Vol. 1 and 2 (Artwork is suspect but it's pretty funny)
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
Hawkeye Vol. 4
Superior Spider-Man
Cable & Deadpool

Darker stuff
Thor: God of Thunder
Nova Vol. 4
Ms. Marvel Vol. 2
Captain Marvel Vol. 7
Black Panther Vol. 3 and 4
Alias
Captain America Vol. 5
Ghost Rider Vol. 4

Team Books
Thunderbolts Vol. 1
New Avengers Vol. 1 and 2
Heroes For Hire Vol . 2

Mini Series
Marvel Super Heroes: Secret Wars
Doomwar
Spider-Woman: Agent of SWORD (Amazing artwork)
Silent War
New Avengers: Illuminati Vol. 1 and 2 (First volume is a one-shot)

Crossovers
Disassembled
Curse of the Mutants
Secret Invasion
Spider Island
Annihilation
Annihilation: Conquest

Thanos
Thanos Quest
Infinity Gauntlet
Infinity War
Infinity Crusade
Thanos: Infinity Abyss
The End

There should be something in there for you.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
DY, if you're looking for recommendations, the OP in this thread, has a good timeline for awesome shit.

I've kinda skipped around it, so I still need to read War of Kings. Got through the Annihilators stuff they have on the site as well as GotG. I backtracked through the silly ass AvX arc and am reading up on Logan and Cyclops ' exploits now. Got through Fear Itself and Schism.

They brought this fool Cable back? That shit just takes away from the fuckkery that happened with saving Hope...

Gonna try Civil War at some point, but I wasn't a fan of what little I was reading.

harSon

Banned
i still can't believe DIvergent made money.

It was basically a hodgepodge of popular Young Adult novels/films and Dystopian novels/films. It was Harry Potter, The Hunger Games, Equilibrium and
Universal Soldier
all rolled into one. I died laughing in theaters when they basically had a Sorting Hat scene lmao.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
It's definitely intimidating. Just starting from the beginning of a self contained novel (this includes stuff like Kingdom Come, Batman Year One, etc. by the way) is definitely easier than having to research which issues/volumes/runs of Black Panther are worth reading, and which are horse shit and not worth reading.

It depends what he's trying to do. If he's trying to get into comic books in general, then self contained graphic novels are definitely a great jumping off point. If he's trying to get into Marvel/DC Superheroes, then I'd recommend picking a hero and simply Googling some recommendations in terms of which runs to focus on, because the lows of comic books are pretty fucking low.

everything is intimidating when youre new to it though. comics arent some difficult wall to penetrate. i and many people like me have started with a loose issue or two and worked their way up. trade paperbacks are nice, but they all started as floppies. theres no real difference except they are in volumes

DY, if you're looking for recommendations, the OP in this thread, has a good timeline for awesome shit.

I've kinda skipped around it, so I still need to read War of Kings. Got through the Annihilators stuff they have on the site as well as GotG. I backtracked through the silly ass AvX arc and am reading up on Logan and Cyclops ' exploits now. Got through Fear Itself and Schism.

They brought this fool Cable back? That shit just takes away from the fuckkery that happened with saving Hope...

Gonna try Civil War at some point, but I wasn't a fan of what little I was reading.

cable is dope. when not being written like shit.

and id pass on civil war. for something thats not supposed to have a bad side, they sure didnt send the memo out

Trey

Comedy
She-Hulk Vol. 1 and 2 (Artwork is suspect but it's pretty funny)
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
Hawkeye Vol. 4
Superior Spider-Man
Cable & Deadpool

Darker stuff
Thor: God of Thunder
Nova Vol. 4
Ms. Marvel Vol. 2
Captain Marvel Vol. 7
Black Panther Vol. 3 and 4
Alias
Captain America Vol. 5
Ghost Rider Vol. 4

Team Books
Thunderbolts Vol. 1
New Avengers Vol. 1 and 2
Heroes For Hire Vol . 2

Mini Series
Marvel Super Heroes: Secret Wars
Doomwar
Spider-Woman: Agent of SWORD (Amazing artwork)
Silent War
New Avengers: Illuminati Vol. 1 and 2 (First volume is a one-shot)

Crossovers
Disassembled
Curse of the Mutants
Secret Invasion
Spider Island
Annihilation
Annihilation: Conquest

Thanos
Thanos Quest
Infinity Gauntlet
Infinity War
Infinity Crusade
Thanos: Infinity Abyss
The End

There should be something in there for you.

Gonna keep this list handy. Reading Infinity (2013) right now. #1 was dope.

Trey

lol, Infinity #2. Rest of earth is getting crushed for free and then it's all "meanwhile, in Wakanda: they're styling on the invasion force."

Slayven

See that cover that looks cool, try it out. I hate definetive lists of must read comics. The onyl must read comics are the Human Torch and Spiderman miniseries and the Dog Brother Number 1 one shot. Don't be afraid to get your feet wet.

You put white bankable stars in lead roles cuz you don't know any black ones, but refuse to risk any potential bankable black stars even in stories where it would be appropriate. And the cycle continues.

Crocodile

See I'm kind of happy to see Lucy do well due to its possible implications and I'm a fan of the director but when I see the trailers and they start going on with "10% of our brains" bullshit I can feel arteries and veins bursting in my head and blood coming out of my nose. I can't justify paying money to go to something whose base premise is going to annoy me and make me want to yell things at the screen :/

Explosions, blonde hair, hot tits, and erika murphy (blonde girl from 8 mile) effect. She seems 1940's docile i.e. trophy wife bake the cake, feed the kids, sing hymns before bed type of woman. For the record, that scares me.

Can we add political party to the list of questions? Let me start:

I'm a republican that's fed up with the direction of the party and wanted Mitt Romney to win and cut ALLLL this free shit people getting including:

Farm Aid because fuck farmers and this big government shit.
Social Security because old people scared they would lose their country voted for the wrong guy.
Subsidies to businesses are cool but we need more.
Federal student loans because work up by your bootstraps like Mitt Romney.

Willard would be out of office in a week and all of the tea party racists would go back to their in bred colonies.

I voted for Obama because he's black. He handed Willard his shit. I couldn't stand hearing about President Romney in church so many times. LOL, my congregation was MAD AS SHIT the next Sunday looking at me with entitled anger and disappointment.

Why did you spoiler tag this? Nobody in here would give you shit for anything you've said here. Anyway, what I NEVER understood about Republicans (I'm generalizing of course but I don't feel I'm off base in describing the loudest and most powerful of them) is how they can say they are in favor of small government but then spend more than anybody and have no qualms using government power to prop up military contracts, enforce their own narrow "moral/lifestyle" codes, and bend over backwards to appease corporations and the super rich (which given how this country is structured are disproportionally white & male). Like how do you say X and do Y without your clothes bursting into flames? How do you try to sell me dog turds, call it a king's meal and expect me to buy that shit?

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
See I'm kind of happy to see Lucy do well due to its possible implications and I'm a fan of the director but when I see the trailers and they start going on with "10% of our brains" bullshit I can feel arteries and veins bursting in my head and blood coming out of my nose. I can't justify paying money to go to something whose base premise is going to annoy me and make me want to yell things at the screen :/

Why did you spoiler tag this? Nobody in here would give you shit for anything you've said here. Anyway, what I NEVER understood about Republicans (I'm generalizing of course but I don't feel I'm off base in describing the loudest and most powerful of them) is how they can say they are in favor of small government but then spend more than anybody and have no qualms using government power to prop up military contracts, enforce their own narrow "moral/lifestyle" codes, and bend over backwards to appease corporations and the super rich (which given how this country is structured are disproportionally white & male). Like how do you say X and do Y without your clothes bursting into flames? How do you try to sell me dog turds, call it a king's meal and expect me to buy that shit?
You can pick and choose what applies to democrats and politicians in general too if you want.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
J10, slayven, I have a month of Marvel Unlimited.

Guide me.

so I found this site that seems to have really good recommendations for comics to read on Unlimited

Best Comics Available on Marvel Digital Unlimited
This has links to a bunch of the best arcs for books, from all of Marvel's history, that are available from unlimited.

Complete Marvel Reading Order Guide
Goes into the recent crossover events and a few of the modern solo books, telling you what order to read issues in chronologicaly. It mostly talks about the stories in the form of trades, but also lists the issue numbers. May be some issues missing from Unlimited, though.

Modern Marvel Universe in 25 Trade Collections (2000-2012 Fast Track)
Seems like these are the stories most important to shaping the overall continuity since 2000.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom