• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT7| Luigi took our stare

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdyhybrid

Was over at a friend's place who had the Destiny beta yesterday. Didn't play it myself, but damn I love the look of the game. Might seriously consider picking it up depending on how deep the item progression is.

I'm in the "Kingdom Hearts is where the subplots too shitty even for Final Fantasy go to die" boat.

EDIT: I now know that if I ever need to get a brother's attention, Kingdom Hearts is an interracial ice breaker. dat landslide vote

expecting kermit "girl says she don't like kingdom hearts? her car ain't startin? thats none of my business" memes now

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
KH is overrated as fuck imo

Combat ain't that good, looks impressively mediocre, story is beyond stupid, good soundtrack though.

Creep defense out in full force in that comic con thread.

men can't help themselves when people dress like that
when you go out in public you should expect pictures taken of you

fuck off

BHZ Mayor

In a depressed ass mood right now fam. Met this chick over the weekend. Real cool, attractive, into me, got her head on straight, financially responsible, always up for some activity, which is great since I'm more of a homebody type. Just all around cool. So we're chilling last night, and she tells me she wants to let me know something before things get serious.

She tells me she got herpes from a previous boyfriend that cheated on her.

Damn. This really put a damper on things to say the least. She said she wants to give me a couple days to take it in and decide what I want to do from there. This isn't a "what should I do" post since I already know the answer, but damn if I'm not gonna feel like a shitheel when it happens. We haven't had sex, so it's not really about me. I mean, yeah it sucks for me because I thought I had found someone, but I can only imagine what she has to deal with. It really sucks all around.

I just wanted to share since y'all are cool enough but still anonymous (and mature) enough for me to feel comfortable posting about some heavy shit like this.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
In a depressed ass mood right now fam. Met this chick over the weekend. Real cool, attractive, into me, got her head on straight, financially responsible, always up for some activity, which is great since I'm more of a homebody type. Just all around cool. So we're chilling last night, and she tells me she wants to let me know something before things get serious.

Damn. This really put a damper on things to say the least. She said she wants to give me a couple days to take it in and decide what I want to do from there. This isn't a "what should I do" post since I already know the answer, but damn if I'm not gonna feel like a shitheel when it happens. We haven't had sex, so it's not really about me. I mean, yeah it sucks for me because I thought I had found someone, but I can only imagine what she has to deal with. It really sucks all around.

I just wanted to share since y'all are cool enough but still anonymous (and mature) enough for me to feel comfortable posting about some heavy shit like this.

Hey, she's giving you a couple days to digest it. That's some mature stuff you don't usually get from people. Enjoy it man. That kind of thing usually doesn't happen with people these days.

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing
WELP

Blackface is becoming more and more unacceptable, and the same idea is offensive to Asian Americans. But then why are we still having these same conversations about the representations of yellowface that have been there since the beginning of early cinema?

wtf is yellowface?!

Really? Like you can't make an educated guess fam?
tumblr_inline_myr1l5dNTU1qhebd8.gif

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Also BHZ let me add on to what I said earlier:

Keep in mind she's chosen to live with it and reveal it. She obviously gives a shit about you and wants some seriously honest shit to go on with the two of you, or she would have kept it secret. The fact that she's willing to bare her "flaws" so to speak, speaks volumes about how she feels about you. She's gotta live with it. It can't be easy to open up like that.

Imm0rt4l

That shit was unsettling as hell; dude even did the accent and I was like...wow...this is happening.

the model minorities can learn a thing from black folks in raising hell. And I'm not talking about the faux outrage on the colbert report. It's fucked up that they are so underrepresented.

the model minorities can learn a thing from black folks in raising hell. And I'm not talking about the faux outrage on the colbert report. It's fucked up that they are so underrepresented.

I'm not sure if I could stomach the shitload of dog whistling that would result if they spoke their minds like us.

Jado

Banned

From what I've read on sex-ed GAF threads, a lot of people have herpes and don't know it because symptoms never manifest. And a lot of people are in relationships with SOs who have herpes and they show no signs of it (either person). The modern day stigma seems to stem from fabrications about how horrible it is to have herpes. Apparently it was basically a minor thing a few decades ago that someone created a treatment for that nobody wanted because hey who cares, until an entrepreneurial asshole person/company decided to market the shit out of this wonder treatment for a horrid "disease." I'm blanking on the details, but look it up.

Btw -- we have our monthly "not wanting to date a certain race isn't racist" thread. Already got the standard "I'm not a homophobe if I don't wanna date gay men" bullshit post.

harSon

Banned
I just didn't know yellowface was an actual thing lol Hollywood please...

There's an everything face. White people's faces were a canvas for all ethnic representations during those days. It's gotten better, but for whatever reason, Hollywood still occasionally insists on having to resort to a shit ton of make-up and prosthetics in place of simply casting someone who actually looks the part.

From what I've read on sex-ed GAF threads, a lot of people have herpes and don't know it because symptoms never manifest. And a lot of people are in relationships with SOs who have herpes and they show no signs of it (either person). The modern day stigma seems to stem from fabrications about how horrible it is to have herpes. Apparently it was basically a minor thing a few decades ago that someone created a treatment for that nobody wanted because hey who cares, until an entrepreneurial asshole person/company decided to market the shit out of this wonder treatment for a horrid "disease." I'm blanking on the details, but look it up.

Yeah, I'd say it's a good idea for everyone who's sexually active to specifically get tested for it (doctors and clinics often don't include it as part of their standard STD testing, so you have to ask for it). You can have it for years, and not show any actual symptoms, or the symptoms are so minor that people don't even realize it's herpes. That's probably why it's so common, particularly HSV-1. You'd be surprised at how many people talk about things like getting a minor cold sore every once in a while, and not even realizing that they actually have efil4sepreh

I just didn't know yellowface was an actual thing lol Hollywood please...

It was really big until the 80s and it fell off after that. Now they just find "Asian-ish" and call it day. "That person is supposed to be Chinese? I'm sure a Japanese person will fit in that role." As an example, Rick Yune is of Korean descent, but he's played Chinese, Vietnamese, and Japanese before.

It gets even weirder when you go into the Middle East. Sometimes you just get white people with tans.

It was really big until the 80s and it fell off after that. Now they just find "Asian-ish" and call it day. "That person is supposed to be Chinese? I'm sure a Japanese person will fit in that role." As an example, Rick Yune is of Korean descent, but he's played Chinese, Vietnamese, and Japanese before.

It gets even weirder when you go into the Middle East. Sometimes you just get white people with tans.

Yeah, there are "everything" actors like Cliff Curtis.

harSon

Banned

It blew my mind when I found out Lou Diamond Phillips wasn't a shred of a percent Mexican

Yeah, there are "everything" actors like Cliff Curtis.

I was thinking the same thing when watching Gang Related lmao.

It actually really pays to be ethnically ambiguous like Vin Diesel and the Rock in today's Hollywood.

Idk, that James Bond example was done on purpose for the plot....not to defend the film for its other sexist and racist shit but having Bond fake being Japanese was part of the movie...context lol. \

Still silly though...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom