• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT7| Luigi took our stare

Status
Not open for further replies.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
You don't know pain until you realize Zafina will never get the tools she needs

I understand it. Still, seeing Asuka where Jun used to be after waiting for years while Paul gets to live forever?

iE2RhFRUcjy14.png

At least I'm getting Venom back in GG.

DY_nasty

I actually liked Bloody Roar. If any of the stuff from those days came back (BR, Masters of Teras Kasi bwaha, Star Gladiator, Bushido Blade, etc), I'd like that to be it.

Jado

Banned
I think the one that irks me the most personally is Zelda. The last game is shit, the one before it is the best thing ever. Said shit game becomes the greatest thing ever when a new one is released and takes the shit game spot. Just a personal pet peeve.

This only happened with Wind Waker. The fanbase is still very torn over Twilight Princess and I've heard more shit than praise for Skyward Sword. I really don't see any shift in opinion over Link Between Worlds. The praise is pretty unanimous. First Zelda I played and finished in years.

On GTA: first one played and only one I've ever put serious time into was China Town Wars on PSP. I tried GTA3 on phone with Moga... plays great, but honestly bored me so I stopped.

royalan

The good sis Robido just gave TESTIMONY over in PopGAF tonight:

iPXtz9PGAlioU.gif

My dearest young ones. Let me tell you about my sugar daddy. Before there was a Maxwell, a Lenny Kravitz, a Prince... There was my BIG DADDY Luther Vandross. I know you girls don't like slow music, or men for that matter.
(Who hurt you, btw?!)
But babies, Luther
(or Lutha)
is the realest of the real deals. And contrary to popular belief, Lu had some jams in there. Also: Vocals for days. Songs for days. Big Luther or skinny Luther, it didn't matter. When boo started SANGIN, you shut up, sat down, and paid attention. Luther didn't garner much by the way of crossover success
(except for that insipid "Here and Now" drivel)
and thank goodness. Singers seeking crossover appeal makes "good" singers sing shitty songs that don't fit their voices. See: Jennifer Hudson
(I used quotes around good, Mumei)
Luther didn't fall into that trap. Her made good albums and music that accentuated exactly what you seek out singers for, HIS VOICE.

My love affair with Luther started when I was fairly young. My mom, being the connoisseur of fabulous music that she is, copped Luther's debut album when it dropped in 1981, and a young six year old <+)O Robido O(+> fell in love. I cannot tell you how many times I listened to that record as a youngster. It was a lot. I had yet to discover Prince, so Luther was my everything.

I tried to narrow this post down to one favorite album, but as you can see, I failed. Luther's first 5 albums are everything. I invite you to give them a listen, and get your life.

I won't post any of the live stuff, unless I have no choice. BUT YOU ARE NOT READY FOR LIVE LUTHER ANYWAY!
jbxtiH1hx78Dx0.jpg

1. "Never Too Much"
2. "Sugar and Spice (I Found Me a Girl)"
3. "Don't You Know That?"
4. "I've Been Working"
5. "She's a Super Lady"
6. "You Stopped Loving Me"
7. "A House Is Not a Home"
ihSdkGMDdExn2.jpg

1. "Bad Boy/Having a Party"
2. "You're the Sweetest One"
3. "Since I Lost My Baby"
4. "Forever, For Always, For Love"
5. "Better Love"
6. "Promise Me"
7. "She Loves Me Back"
8. "Once You Know How"
i6rjArQtlLsFp.jpg

1. "I Wanted Your Love"
2. "Busy Body"
3. "I'll Let You Slide"
4. "Make Me a Believer"
5. "For the Sweetness of Your Love"
6. "How Many Times Can We Say Goodbye"
7. "Superstar/Until You Come Back to Me (That's What I'm Gonna Do)"
jlbB2CRWepzC6.jpg

1. "'Til My Baby Comes Home"
2. "The Night I Fell in Love"
3. "If Only for One Night"
4. "Creepin'"
5. "It's Over Now"
6. "Wait for Love"
7. "My Sensitivity (Gets in the Way)"
8. "Other Side of the World"
jlcyxiFldUZKC.jpg

1. "Stop To Love"
2. "See Me"
3. "I Gave It Up (When I Fell in Love)"
4. "So Amazing"
5. "Give Me the Reason"
6. "There's Nothing Better Than Love"
7. "I Really Didn't Mean It"
8. "Because It's Really Love"
9. "Anyone Who Had a Heart"

Bonus:
"Searching"
"The Glow Of Love"
"If This World Were Mine" with Cheryl Lynn
"Come Back"
"Any Love"
"Love Won't Let Me Wait"
"Are You Gonna Love Me"
"For You to Love"
"The Rush"
"I Want the Night to Stay"
"I (Who Have Nothing) with Martha Wash
"Heaven Knows"
"Love Me Again"
"How Deep Is Your Love/Love Don't Love Nobody"
"Never Let Me Go"
"Always and Forever"
"Shine"
"The Closer I Get To You" with Beyonce
"The Best Things in Life Are Free" with Janet Jackson, Bell Biv Devoe, and Ralph Tresvant

R.I.P Luther!

ifQLtCUfaVlxK.gif

Oh, Luther...RIP. :(

I hope some of you are in the position to turn out the lights.

Pour some Henny over ice.

Call over that special someone (of a lifetime or for the moment)

Put on some Luther.

And Get it INNNN...

So cal people: y'all hear about that dude who got struck by lightning at Venice? Shit, I'm watching now the lightning strike got a bunch of people.

I live a couple miles from there. I heard a loud ass boom outside, but I didn't see any rain, so I had no idea what the hell happened. Then I got some texts from some friends talking about it. Crazy.

I was at a different beach the day before. Just when I'm getting used to overcoming the "black person who doesn't go near water" stereotype, that shit happens, lol.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
I live a couple miles from there. I heard a loud ass boom outside, but I didn't see any rain, so I had no idea what the hell happened. Then I got some texts from some friends talking about it. Crazy.

I was at a different beach the day before. Just when I'm getting used to overcoming the "black person who doesn't go near water" stereotype, that shit happens, lol.
Lol it was a freak accident man. Don't be afraid to go in the water!!

RedSwirl

The one fanbase I'm a part of but am really getting sick of is the Zelda fanbase. It spends basically all its forum time tearing itself apart.

Have you ever seen such a fractured fanbase as Zelda's? Nobody agrees on which Zelda games are the "right" ones and which ones messed up the franchise. Then you've got data showing the series' actual sales run contradictory to how a lot of people perceive it. It's fucked up that I consider myself a Zelda fan but I seem to be one of a select few people who actually enjoys nearly all the Zelda games.

Slayven

I don't know about y'all but DBZ GT Final Bout hurt my soul, I remember renting it from Blockbuster and being so hype until I turned it on.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
That Luther post is all facts.

The only elitists that really get on my nerves are horror elitists, whom have to tell the world why x,y,z isn't scary, and can't fathom people being afraid of different shit.

Jado

Banned
This shit killed me the most. You'd think MikeZ and co pissed off a voodoo priestess with the amount of shit that went wrong with Skullgirls.

What's wrong with Skullgirls? I bought it cheap on Steam and played a bit. Seemed fine, but then again I'm a FG novice compared to most of you. I just learned this week that FG = fighting game... right?

DY_nasty

Someone could make a documentary on all the Ls Skullgirls took and is still taking...

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
I still think 2nd Impact was better than 3rd Strike.

it has best sean, best music and best interface.

I don't know about y'all but DBZ GT Final Bout hurt my soul, I remember renting it from Blockbuster and being so hype until I turned it on.

i got caught in a meteor combo i couldnt escape from and got pissed. and the the fucking voice acting and bitchmade gohan.... nope to that

Someone could make a documentary on all the Ls Skullgirls took and is still taking...

is it because its been years, and it stills feels like a beta?

Jado

Banned
The one fanbase I'm a part of but am really getting sick of is the Zelda fanbase. It spends basically all its forum time tearing itself apart.

Have you ever seen such a fractured fanbase as Zelda's? Nobody agrees on which Zelda games are the "right" ones and which ones messed up the franchise. Then you've got data showing the series' actual sales run contradictory to how a lot of people perceive it. It's fucked up that I consider myself a Zelda fan but I seem to be one of a select few people who actually enjoys nearly all the Zelda games.

Isn't that a good thing? Some of the games are pretty damn different from each other, so yeah, different opinions and stuff. I don't like all the Zelda games. Phantom was boring shit and had the annoying touchscreen controls. TW was a bore in the first few hours so I just quit. It's fine to leave a few of the games behind and move on to ones you like. Shouldn't be a single consensus.

DominoKid

they used to have Ultimate Battle 22 set up at the import shop downtown. it was wack as hell but everybody played it anyway just cause it had all the future characters.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member

They made a post recently that they FINALLY started making money on copies sold

It'd be pretty funny if it wasn't so sad

ChamplooJones

Formerly Momotaro

What kills me is the Souls series comparisions. Zelda and Souls are two different beasts. Christ ya think people played the first Zelda and none of the sequels.

The only franchise you can really compare Zelda to is Darksiders, and we know that's a losing battle.

G-Fex

What's wrong with Skullgirls? I bought it cheap on Steam and played a bit. Seemed fine, but then again I'm a FG novice compared to most of you. I just learned this week that FG = fighting game... right?

I haven't a clue what's wrong with SG, it seems fine to me.

That Luther post is all facts.

The only elitists that really get on my nerves are horror elitists, whom have to tell the world why x,y,z isn't scary, and can't fathom people being afraid of different shit.

But we're all in agreement that jump scares are some bullshit, right? As someone who dabbles in audio production, it's literally Youtube Poop levels of *quiet... HOLY LOUD NOISE INVERTED COLORS ROBOTNIK DICK* in most cases.

I like the cat scares in Alien and Friday the 13th, though. Cat scares need to make a comeback.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy

The company had a string of problems that ranged from dlc issues fragmenting the player base to company issues with Konami. More dev issues than the game being bad. I think it's a lot of fun.

But we're all in agreement that jump scares are some bullshit, right? As someone who dabbles in audio production, it's literally Youtube Poop levels of *quiet... HOLY LOUD NOISE INVERTED COLORS ROBOTNIK DICK* in most cases.

I like the cat scares in Alien and Friday the 13th, though. Cat scares need to make a comeback.

lmfao. They have their places and are effective, but can be overused.

I agree on the cat scares. Felines would be jumping out of random ass cabinets and shit spooking the fuck out of people.

The good sis Robido just gave TESTIMONY over in PopGAF tonight:

Oh, Luther...RIP. :(

I hope some of you are in the position to turn out the lights.

Pour some Henny over ice.

Call over that special someone (of a lifetime or for the moment)

Put on some Luther.

And Get it INNNN...

How did I know? I agree with the Henny comment tho.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
My problem with Skullgirls is that it's such a bland fighting game

It's full of ideas that are great on paper like IPS and Unblockable protection, but the end result is some of the most sterile game design I've seen in a fighting game.

ReiGun

I open the thread and see Primal Rage slander.

This is why I don't fuck with neoniggas.

The only Zelda games I've played that I haven't enjoyed were the original two. That said, I can see why others might dislike, say, Wind Waker (my favorite) or The Minish Cap. It's how vehemently the fanbase fights against itself that gets grating.

The Final Fantasy fanbase amuses me because they're clearly suffering from some kind of gaming stockholm syndrome at this point. I've also noticed that many FF fans are willing to agree that 7 was the best, even if they themselves actually like another one more. Which is odd to me.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
I open the thread and see Primal Rage slander.

This is why I don't fuck with neoniggas.

The only Zelda games I've played that I haven't enjoyed were the original two. That said, I can see why others might dislike, say, Wind Waker (my favorite) or The Minish Cap. It's how vehemently the fanbase fights against itself that gets grating.

The Final Fantasy amuses me because they're clearly suffering from some kind of gaming stockholm syndrome at this point. I've also noticed that many FF fans are willing to agree that 7 was the best, even if they themselves actually like another one more. Which is odd to me.

the only thing minish cap has going against it is its too damn short. but the gameplay is solid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom