• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT7| Luigi took our stare

Status
Not open for further replies.
don't do it

it's not even completely up there yet

Damn

Primal Rage is the Cam'ron of fighting games. Completely unplayable.

iMsBU7T3qpO1u.png

ReiGun

My favorite is LTTP.

OOT is great, of course.

I thought TP had mostly god-tier dungeons, but the rest of the game was just alright.

Say what you want about The Wind Waker's sailing, TP had the worst overworld in any Zelda I've played. Big ass open spaces with not a damn thing to do in it unless you really liked hunting ghosts or fighting moblins on horses.

Maybe it's just me catching up, but is "Obtuse" the hip word to use in discussions these days? I've browsed a few threads and some articles the word has stood out a few times. I've haven't heard the word used in any type of conversation since highschool English class.

The last time I've seen this type of thing is when a lot of people were using "Player Agency" about 2 years ago I think. That was a weird few months.

Also, I've been seeing this commercial a lot lately. The first five seconds have me in disbelief every time I see it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHY5pwgCY3w

I think I would still be in an empty bedroom crying if I dropped that bit of snark.

Crocodile

Regarding Skullgirls (from memory):

-Game is released to a pretty positive reception
-Game has some bugs, some balances issues (ALL 1st release FGs have balance issues) and a few missing features
-Developers (a main crew of like 15 or less people mind you) are working to addresses all issues and would have done so super fast EXCEPT
-Their publisher (Autumn Games) gets sued by Konami (that company Jim Sterling rails on weekly for being shit) over a completely unrelated game (Def Jam something or other) the two worked on together.
-This results in all of Autumn Games assets being tied in the lawsuit. Which means they can't pay the developers who are thus let go
-With no money or office the developers plug away at addressing all the issues (with NO PAY) but can't actually update the game for like 6-7 months (as reception cools and other games come out). Developers are forced to essentially form a new studio (Lab Zero)
-Microsoft being especially difficult to work with and some peculiarities with XBLA make updates on XBLA drag behind the PSN version
-With no money they can't add new material to the game
-After a very good run at the EVO donation drive, they try a IGG campaign
-Campaign is very successful and after like over a year they finally have money to add to the game (Autmun and Konami suit is still going on)
-However as Konami also helped publish this game, they still have to go through Konami to update the game and Konami, unsurprisingly, proves to be super inept and makes things difficult and updates slow.
-They were able to get the game published in Japan by Cyberfront who publishes a lot of Western games. Game sold more in two weeks than the JP publisher expected to sell ever. However, Cyberfront went belly up which forced the developers to get a new publisher and got the game taken of PSN for a while.
-PC version funded/published by Marvelous and I think that has been mostly drama free. No idea what the contracts for that looked like.
-Eventually, they sever ties with Konami but not before the later throw a few jabs their way (like getting the game delisted from PSN/XBLA for a while)
-Autmun and Konami lawsuit only recently ended (which I assume is where they got the cash to do a PS4/Vita port)

I think I hit everything? For an indie game with a new IP (only 1 of what 3? new fighting game IPs this entire gen released in US) reception and sales have been fine as far as I can tell (near 100k by the end of 2012). But yeah, like a TON of problems crept up that had like nothing to do with the quality of the game or the competency of the developers (who have been exceedingly hard working and open with regards to communication - CEO of Lab Zero regularly posts on GAF and I know Mike Z talks with the community all the time)

Young Magus

The Final Fantasy fanbase amuses me because they're clearly suffering from some kind of gaming stockholm syndrome at this point. I've also noticed that many FF fans are willing to agree that 7 was the best, even if they themselves actually like another one more. Which is odd to me.

Bruh, everytime there is a Final Fantasy thread in Gaming (bonus points if the discussion is about XIII) there's a sea of depression, dental and bashing that is miles above any fandom I've seen. It would be so funny if it wasn't so sad.

then that makes killer instinct carlos mencia

I honestly don't know which of the two is being insulted in this comparison.

Kraftwerk

Swear to god not making this up,

At a friends house, and we are having a gathering. Everyone has brought another friend or two, and One of them Is drunk and ranting about “i trained my dog to distinguish black people“ and then he says shit like “it's not racism if you don't want your bike to be locked in a black neighborhood, it's just logical“.

The person who brought him says they met very recently. He is new to the city, so he brought him over to make friends. He is constantly apologizing.

We are about to have dinner and watch something.

We are going to watch the Boondocks.

We probably should have thrown him out already, but I would like to troll him a little before we kick him the fuck out.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Bruh, everytime there is a Final Fantasy thread in Gaming (bonus points if the discussion is about XIII) there's a sea of depression, dental and bashing that is miles above any fandom I've seen. It would be so funny if it wasn't so sad.

I honestly don't know which of the two is being insulted in this comparison.

killer instinct. i actually enjoyed killer instinct due to cinder

Gattsu25

Banned

At a friends house, and we are having a gathering. Everyone has brought another friend or two, and One of them Is drunk and ranting about “i trained my dog to distinguish black people“ and then he says shit like “it's not racism if you don't want your bike to be locked in a black neighborhood, it's just logical“.

The person who brought him says they met very recently. He is new to the city, so he brought him over to make friends. He is constantly apologizing.

We probably should have thrown him out already, but I would like to troll him a little before we kick him the fuck out.
Just wait until he starts laughing at all the wrong moments. Boondocks is full of stuff for people like him.

Young Magus

Just wait until he starts laughing at all the wrong moments. Boondocks is full of stuff for people like him.

The stuff you watch to troll/make those type of folks uncomfortable are:

Boondocks
and
Chappelles Show

harSon

Banned
The older I get the more it just flat out depresses me how many groups, jobs, events, you name it, just don't have their shit together.

As a Case Manager for at risk youth within an organization that deals in work readiness/technical skills program, we had a program that had a heavy emphasis on civic engagement with the local community (ie. Volunteering). We would place them in different local organizations/non-profits that we partnered with for 4-6 weeks.

I was responsible for the recruiting and dealing these partner organizations, and I couldn't believe the rate at which Volunteer Coordinators bounced. It was multiple times within a year , at least, for each organization. Which I think accounts for a lot in terms of these places not having their shit together. I guess that job must be stressful as fuck, cause most places couldn't keep one for longer than half a year.

besada

Banned
The older I get the more it just flat out depresses me how many groups, jobs, events, you name it, just don't have their shit together.
Incompetence is the default mode for every organization. After forty years of working for dozens of companies, I've only ever worked for one that had their head screwed on straight.

harSon

Banned
I don't know about other cities, but having worked alongside San Jose employees, I completely understand why Government functions so horribly half the time.

When you value seniority over performance, and make it damn near impossible to actually fire someone once they obtain seniority, you're in for a world of hurt. It's just a bunch of old people who've grown too comfortable with their jobs and have become complacent, since there's no incentive to actually work hard. Once you have seniority under your belt in San Jose, you're basically untouchable. Instead of firing you, at worst you'll be transferred to another department, or possibly dropped a pay grade.

Shit's ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom