• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT7| Luigi took our stare

Status
Not open for further replies.

besada

Banned
Wonder how the landscape has changed since then? I wonder if more people realize how fucking dogshit that ad is and horrible.

Man, I remember that thread. So much fucking stupidity. "It's Europe, we don't have the same racial issues you feelthy Americans do..wait, is that a fucking gypsy!"

I would make a topic for this, but I feel like I make too many topics. Worth reading, about street harassment:

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics...-youre-supposed-to-appear-that-you-do/375175/
Liase, motherfucker. Get your ass over to GirlGAF and hand it off to someone willing to post it.

I saw a heavily graffiti'd truck in my neighborhood a couple of months ago with some of this this partially obscured by new graffiti:

Never thought about it much at the time, but this was some brainless pandering to minorities in city neighborhoods.

they could at least struck up a deal with David Gonzalez, get them Homies involved

Homies.jpg

Moris don't front like you didn't have some of these shit back in middle school

Jado

Banned
smh @ "squirrel" clearly being used in place of "nigga".

How do you all feel about replacement or variants of nigga? A white coworker (above me in rank) was in my office talking to my officemate and she said "for shiz," and he blurts out "for shiz, my niz." I complained about him later to my boss. I really don't wanna hear that shit at work, especially coming from a guy I know is a waspy Republican.

they could at least struck up a deal with David Gonzalez, get them Homies involved

Homies.jpg

I remember those. I think showcasing graffiti art in reserved spaces from known artists would have gone much further and gotten wider acceptance from the intended audience. Instead it just pissed off a lot of people on multiple sides. Viral marketing was the new buzz back then and we saw with Sony the idiotic results.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
How do you all feel about replacement or variants of nigga? A white coworker (above me in rank) was in my office talking to my officemate and she said "for shiz," and he blurts out "for shiz, my niz." I complained about him later to my boss. I really don't wanna hear that shit at work, especially coming from a guy I know is a waspy Republican.

As a white dude, it's shitty to use replacements and might as well be the same goddamn word. I just simply don't do it and don't want to. It shows you have a lack of respect for people.

Shout-out to the black barista at this Orlando mall whose nametag was written in chalk and smudged so I couldn't read her name. She's, like, the only barista outside of the ones at the Starbucks I frequent in my town that actually managed to get my name right. Usually the conversation goes something like this:

"What's your name?"
"Adrian."
"Henry? Andrean? Andrew? Angelus? Anjean?"

It's not THAT hard people. My name's on my goddamn card!

Would I be wrong in assuming "black names" put a lot more emphasis on attractive, cohesive phonetics over the actual spelling? I've got pretty high-level synesthesia which doesn't help, but my bf's name is Juwan, for example. He goes by Jake for convenience's sake. Now, Jake's a little more attractive (imo) from a spelling standpoint, but Juwan is an awesome name from a phonetic standpoint. Two syllables, moderate-level sharpness, short, sweet and to the point.

It's why I've never really had a problem with or shit on names like Shaniqua or Tyischa. They usually sound a million times better than "safe" comparative names like Shannon or Tyler.

Kreed

And Nas takes yet another L

Bill Maher had both Nas and Jay-Z on his TV show a couple of months ago, and despite Jay not doing a great interview, he was still better than Nas being a prop on the set, which is sad considering it's a show about liberal politics.

Best Nas interview I've ever heard wasn't even an interview with Nas in it. It was Snoop Dogg talking about him and 2pac meeting Nas.

besada

Banned
As a white dude, it's shitty to use replacements and might as well be the same goddamn word. I just simply don't do it and don't want to. It shows you have a lack of respect for people.

I don't do it in conversation, but I do sing along with Snoop sometimes. Don't hate me.

RP912

Banned
I saw a heavily graffiti'd truck in my neighborhood a couple of months ago with some of this this partially obscured by new graffiti:

Never thought about it much at the time, but this was some brainless pandering to minorities in city neighborhoods.

I'm a fan of graffiti but this......I'm not sure what to think of it.

AT&T guy pulls up to the house and sits outside in his van the entire time. Calls me and says he's at my place and rung the door bell and no one answered...oh word? I didn't want to challenge dude because I just want him to fix my damn connection. So I tell him I'll open the door.

I kid you not, this dude is rocking a grill and some big ass stud earrings…

He's outside at the moment but I was taken back like hell.

RP912

Banned
AT&T guy pulls up to the house and sits outside in his van the entire time. Calls me and says he's at my place and rung the door bell and no one answered...oh word? I didn't want to challenge dude because I just want him to fix my damn connection. So I tell him I'll open the door.

:/ I dunno whats worse...that dude or the rednecks who farted and carrying a conversation while fixing up my damn internet connection one time.

Slayven

Man fuck the south in the summer
If I was a slave they would have had to kill me.

Installers are hired on very basic criteria.

Fuck that too and add gnats/mosquitoes GA to the mix.
Better than Florida water bugs. I remember being in florida one time, we was outside at night and we kept hearing squishy noises. We turn on the porch light and there were water bugs in the bush. Fuck any bug you can hear from 7 feet away and not a cricket.

RP912

Banned
I remember coming down to GA for the first time and seeing a 3 foot cockroach. My wife was all like gimme a shoe, I'm all like WTF 0_O I didn't even know roaches came in deluxe sizes.

Ever since then anything that crawls I'm not really surprised by it.

Jado

Banned
I'm a fan of graffiti but this......I'm not sure what to think of it.

They were just shitty stencils too. The PSP was the most advanced handheld device, so I think they got really desperate with garbage viral/guerrilla marketing when ugly DS Phat started pulling ahead in 2006.

I want to go see what the discussion is on gaming side, but then i cam to my senses.

Pre Rec: Sonic The Hedgehog most overrated game ever?

I feel like some people wake up and say to themselves: what pointless shit can I post today to get a reaction? At least this guy drumming Hydro City redeems the thread a bit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Si-hCFFOv8

But I mean, the fuck...? Sonic was/is legitimately great and created the mascot platformer genre. Let's just start threads asking if stuff like Pac-Man, Super Mario Bros, Street Fighter 2 was ever really that good/influential, or just overrated crap?! Did the NES really matter, GAF???

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
FINALLY. Goddamn Mario Kart 8 has arrived at my humble abode.

RP912

Banned
I must be lucky, gnats and mosquitoes don't bother me.

It's like that annoying kid that sits in back of you and blows on your face because...annoyance.

Thats how gnats and mosquitoes are to me. I can't just stay focus for a few seconds without the need of balling up something to swat it with.

Spout off on what's logical.

Evoke rape metaphors when you could just talk about Gaza v Palestine without your terrible half-ass analogies.

Have you ever been called "da man" in the office? You have to bring the conversation to a screeching, obvious-to-everyone-in-the-room halt complete with incredulous stare when that happens.

Spout off on what's logical.

Evoke rape metaphors when you could just talk about Gaza v Palestine without your terrible half-ass analogies.

No one would've cared had he used the example of killing someone quickly as opposed to torturing them to death.

Jado

Banned
I remember coming down to GA for the first time and seeing a 3 foot cockroach. My wife was all like gimme a shoe, I'm all like WTF 0_O I didn't even know roaches came in deluxe sizes.

Ever since then anything that crawls I'm not really surprised by it.

Large roaches fly in DR (often towards you). One of those terrifying things you block out of memory for years after moving away, until you're older and get reminded they really existed.

Jado

Banned
Have you ever been called "da man" in the office? You have to bring the conversation to a screeching, obvious-to-everyone-in-the-room halt complete with incredulous stare when that happens.

No, but a black coworker hated the word "bro" and insisted people not use it with him -- due to having people using it towards only him in settings where he was the only black guy. Like when people shake hands except when they get up to you and they wanna give you five or fist bump.

I think his disdain is understandable, although I had no personal issue with it since I hung out with a mixed group and went to a fairly diverse HS where we exchanged the same greetings with everyone.

Large roaches fly in DR (often towards you). One of those terrifying things you block out of memory for years after moving away, until you're older and get reminded they really existed.
fuck DR and fuck Haiti

Aint about that insect life. My parents give me shit for being scared as shit when a big assed steroid taking never skipping leg day roach walks by so fuck that shit

'forest fever for that skunk'....someone got paid to make these and then a totally separate person who gets paid to screen these said it was good enough to represent their product.

Homies.jpg

What?!

several

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom