• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT7| Luigi took our stare

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know, I'm not opposed to invoking Natural's Law. Comparison of other oppressed people to black people often helps me personally understand the things that those oppressed groups complain about. I have a basis in the things that I already take to be inherent truths.

The problem is more often when a majority group makes the comparison.

Except you know black people have way more to fear from whites. And women have plenty of violence to fear from their male counterparts. So no, it really doesn't work on multiple levels.

So what you're saying is

there are certain situations where comparing things to certain issues that a minority has faced works - though many times, its just a complete asspull.

And that thread you made is definitely wynning too. Like... I thought my troll game was fierce but I've never seen someone so deliberately kick off GAF fukkery like that. Maybe not since Lovingsteam was around.

Effectively, yes.

Lol, which one >_>

I actually try as hard as I can to mitigate the crash n' burn, because these are genuinely interesting subjects to me. It's also fun to learn from genuine discussion.

At the same time, I recognize that it's GAF, and they will trip over themselves to make any thread about a social issue devolve into madness. I accept it.

Except you know black people have way more to fear from whites. And women have plenty of violence to fear from their male counterparts. So no, it really doesn't work on multiple levels.

What? I'm not talking about Transhuman's post. Comparison of the problems of black people to another oppressed group where it makes sense has helped me to understand the problems of non-black oppressed groups.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Effectively, yes.

Lol, which one >_>

I actually try as hard as I can to mitigate the crash n' burn, because these are genuinely interesting subjects to me. It's also fun to learn from genuine discussion.

At the same time, I recognize that it's GAF, and they will trip over themselves to make any thread about a social issue devolve into madness. I accept it.

Naw man. Like if you want to actually have that kind of journey towards intelligent discourse or you want to know something - don't ask a videogame forum. Unless you're just trying to gauge these guys in particular while maintaining your anonymity and whatnot.

This can't be your go-to source of information.

What? I'm not talking about Transhuman's post. Comparison of the problems of black people to another oppressed group where it makes sense has helped me to understand the problems of non-black oppressed groups.

I guess I'm confused why you feel the need to bring this point up since it's so rarely a good comparison worth accepting and nodding about?

It's completely ironic to use it as he did, since blacks and women share a great bit of discrimination called "victim blaming."

DY_nasty

Yeah... I don't really get that either.

Maybe you can explain that better or something.

Naw man. Like if you want to actually have that kind of journey towards intelligent discourse or you want to know something - don't ask a videogame forum. Unless you're just trying to gauge these guys in particular while maintaining your anonymity and whatnot.

This can't be your go-to source of information.

You're right, you're right - it's just that GAF's more active. I actually got the article I posted from my school's feminist club page. No one responded to it there.

Trey

You misread Transhuman's post. He was saying that under what he thought to be the feminist list author's justification for her points, a white man that has been harassed by blacks in the past would similarly be vindicated if he prejudicially avoided them wholesale in the future, as a woman might avoid a random man at night.

edit: just misread your post. d'oh. his post still sucks, though

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
And terrible choice in dudes. Wolverine and Forge? Damn girl you can do better.

Trying new things is all
tumblr_mnimdaPyFP1rur0aro1_1280.jpg

I guess I'm confused why you feel the need to bring this point up since it's so rarely a good comparison worth accepting and nodding about?

It's completely ironic to use it as he did, since blacks and women share a great bit of discrimination called "victim blaming."

Yeah... I don't really get that either.

Maybe you can explain that better or something.

Sorry, it was totally unrelated - I was just thinking that I'm not against it in general.

For example, in the feminism thread, you have point number 6 on the list. I've discussed this a couple of times IRL, and so I'm familiar with it. At the same time, I can internalize it better because I think of it this way:

There are plenty of situations in which racism can seem innocuous to the privileged. It can be a small thing, like someone following you can in a store, or serving you after everyone else. But the fact is this is common for black people, even if it happened to a white person once. A black person, then, should generally be given more weight when they say something is racism. You should carefully consider what they're saying before jumping to shut them up.

In the same manner, you have women experiencing sexism. By comparing the two situations, I can better understand what the writer was getting at. It doesn't mean ignore all logic (as explained in the FAQ) - it means that within the realm of experience, they should be given more room to speak. It also doesn't make them right about everything. At the same time, I can understand the idea of giving them the room to express themselves, because I can make the comparison as a black guy.

DY_nasty

holy shit

alpha protocol's intro = ukraine/malaysian airlines incident what in the fukk

DY_nasty

My ex just got to Dubai

she's sending my selfies of golden lions and strectch chrome humvees and shit

"should've got me pregnant lol"

i haven't laughed so hard in years

Mohawk Storm is the best version of that character

jbui05GIDT5khJ.jpg

My ex just got to Dubai

she's sending my selfies of golden lions and strectch chrome humvees and shit

"should've got me pregnant lol"

i haven't laughed so hard in years

jItPTh1ALAkEF.PNG

Man fell off in every way possible

Career is on life support

Literally flabby and sick

Those baby dreads look like a pile of shit thats melting on his head

Jesus

literally shuckin and jivin for white people in 2014 breh

Christina Aguilera is trifling

Spoiler for not stomach safe/not work safe pregnant fuckery

This is the equivalent of how white people look at obese black women wearing outfits that are grossly inappropriate.

COVER THAT SHIT UP. White women be comfortable as shit showing off their pregnancy with blatant disregard for the public decency. Ain't nobody trying to see that shit. Fuck your pregnancy. You dudes condoning this shit need help.

she looks beautiful.

funny thing is the whole Mohawk Storm look started as a joke from Paul Smith, the current X-Men artist. The writer, Chris Claremont, was having Storm undergo a radical personality change and wanted a new hair-do to match, so Paul drew a bunch of different looks, he drew a mohawk on the side just because he was bored. Claremont picked that, reasoning, "fans are gonna pissed no matter what change we make, might as well go all the way!"

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Do you guys consider Xenogears a must play? I am going back to play most of the rpgs I miss.

I loved it as a kid, but I was a kid. I just remember seeing the cutscene with blood and being like 'oh shit this is forreal.'

Still worth giving a try. I recall it getting incredibly difficult later on though. Now Legend of the Dragoon is a shitty rose tinted game, avoid that one.

DY_nasty

that whole picture is fucking legit
Do you guys consider Xenogears a must play? I am going back to play most of the rpgs I miss.

Its old school. Starts off kinda slow. But one of the better battle systems (one of the best in it's time), GOAT soundtracks, top 5 RPG stories, and there's plenty to do.

It'll never come off my top 5 JRPG list. Game is a landmark imo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom