• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT7| Luigi took our stare

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cat

Hey all, I just wanted to chime in albeit a bit late, that I listened to the podcast the other day.

I heard some understandable cynicism regarding ignorance about racism, and I just felt like I should say that it may be hard and it may seem like you never make progress, but I think it happens and try to encourage you to keep at it.

I remember in school being taught about how things were in the past (slavery and civil rights) but not really so much in the present. When I was older and either in college or finishing it up soon, I had a former co-worker in particular who really laid out her life experience for me as to what it was like to be black. I don't think I ever understood what it really meant until then.

And as brought up in the podcast, the whole case of Trayvon Martin is just so horrible, sad, infuriating, etc. and such an example of the racism that still exists today.

So, I guess what I'm trying to say is, that indeed, ignorance is hard to fight, but all is not lost. Some is willful ignorance that I am sure you encounter a lot, but other times, a person really doesn't know and has an open mind to another person. I do think it helped that the conversation took place in person as opposed to a message board, but your voices do not fall on deaf ears. Plus, I think sometimes what you say may need time for people to let it sink in, even if their initial reaction is to be defensive and not think they themselves are racist or can't do anything about it.

harSon

Banned
Y'all are so afraid to get your hopes up even a tiny bit. It's sad.

My faith in Hollywood was already rock bottom a few years ago, but the shit they've been pulling over the last few years has me thinking the worst in all cases when it comes to going against the grain as far as non- white/straight/male shit is concerned.

There's not much they do that would phase me at this point.

Slayven

I thought Daredevil was The Man without Fear.

Slay pls explain.

The Hand blew up Hell's Kitchen summoning a a demon temple named Shadowland. Daredevil took over the temple and the Hand and started going crazy from being possess by a ninja demon. Shit went down and he was freed but he needed to get his mind right, so he went on vacation. Black Panther took over for him because he was having issues with his country at the time and needed a place to stay.

harSon

Banned
Acting like Egypt wasn't JUST made to look like a spray-tan clientele list from Vermont

I think the breaking point for me was The Devil's Double. At least with Egyptians, as bullshit as it is, we technically don't 100% know what they look like. But I can pull up Uday Hussein's mug on Google Images right now, and he sure as hell doesn't look English.

Y'all are so afraid to get your hopes up even a tiny bit. It's sad.
Been pulled back into the bucket one too many times.

Chadwick Boseman got this.

DY's kids gonna be donning pawn shop Batman costumes and cutting the cape short for their Black Panther Halloween costumes.

Slay going to be going to a Red Lobsters bar telling the women there that he's been reading Black Panther since the 70s.

Believe.

LMAO @ niggas thinkin they gon make a Black Panther movie

if they ever did(which they wont), it damn sure won't have "black" in the title. "The Panther" or something safe

fox will shit themselves at the fact that a comic book hero is called black panther. sean hannity will declare racism against whites is stronger than ever.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
LMAO @ niggas thinkin they gon make a Black Panther movie

if they ever did(which they wont), it damn sure won't have "black" in the title. "The Panther" or something safe

marvel needs the black in the title. they need to use maximum bait to provoke racists

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
"The worst selling marvel movie."

"So, when moving chess pieces, sometimes they get knocked off of the board. That's okay. We know you like him (no you don't), but we're juggling all of these properties, sooo...we'll see about a sequel (not really).

Black Gaf Black Panther Reviews:

tumblr_lzijrciA4z1qhjbxeo1_400.gif

fox will shit themselves at the fact that a comic book hero is called black panther. sean hannity will declare racism against whites is stronger than ever.

how about:

Panther in Black
Die Panther Die
B.Panther
Tom Hanks featuring Black Panther
B.P.
We are Panthers
Walk like a Panther

Monkey
Captain Marvel vs Black Panther

"The worst selling marvel movie."

"So, when moving chess pieces, sometimes they get knocked off of the board. That's okay. We know you like him (no you don't), but we're juggling all of these properties, sooo...we'll see about a sequel (not really).

"Kevin, you weren't suppose say the parentheticals out loud"

"...Ant-Man 2 in theaters this September bye"

Hey all, I just wanted to chime in albeit a bit late, that I listened to the podcast the other day.

I heard some understandable cynicism regarding ignorance about racism, and I just felt like I should say that it may be hard and it may seem like you never make progress, but I think it happens and try to encourage you to keep at it.

I remember in school being taught about how things were in the past (slavery and civil rights) but not really so much in the present. When I was older and either in college or finishing it up soon, I had a former co-worker in particular who really laid out her life experience for me as to what it was like to be black. I don't think I ever understood what it really meant until then.

And as brought up in the podcast, the whole case of Trayvon Martin is just so horrible, sad, infuriating, etc. and such an example of the racism that still exists today.

So, I guess what I'm trying to say is, that indeed, ignorance is hard to fight, but all is not lost. Some is willful ignorance that I am sure you encounter a lot, but other times, a person really doesn't know and has an open mind to another person. I do think it helped that the conversation took place in person as opposed to a message board, but your voices do not fall on deaf ears. Plus, I think sometimes what you say may need time for people to let it sink in, even if their initial reaction is to be defensive and not think they themselves are racist or can't do anything about it.

It's really easy to go your whole life without knowing anything about it. And then the few times some people are exposed to issues facing minorities is usually when big stories like Trayvon pop up and unfortunately some take it as an opportunity to proudly flaunt their ignorance.

cdyhybrid

Black Panther sequel will actually be Captain America vs. Black Panther.

"We're introducing a new actor as Cap, so we thought it would be a good idea to include an already-established actor/character combo to help carry the movie"

So Well Spoken signs up for a twitch account and not even two weeks later Google Swanton Bomb'd it.

well it's not google yet, just seems like Twitch overreacting and putting in a content detection system they neglected this entire time to help the buyout to say "hey we can put one in and still keep our users" in my opinion, it was most likely going to get it anyway when the eventual move to all archives to youtube servers as they scale infinitely better

Gorillaz

if that shit bombs you will never hear the end of it. Same thing when Catwomen came out and Hollywood got real uptight about female leads in action stuff for awhile. It would be even worse if Black Panther bombs because the narrative would basically be "even tho Marvel has been on a role and even made lemonade out of lemons for GOTG, they weren't able to create a movie with a black cast that resonates (lmao) with international audiences"

that shit would set alot of things back, it would be an even more Denzel, Will, Foxx and Idris only hollywood for a while after that

well it's not google yet, just seems like Twitch overreacting and putting in a content detection system they neglected this entire time to help the buyout to say "hey we can put one in and still keep our users" in my opinion, it was most likely going to get it anyway when the eventual move to all archives to youtube servers as they scale infinitely better

I'm holding out hope that it gets resolved before Destiny launch.

I was already thinking of struggle ways to overcome their no partychat shit. Was gonna have to host a skype call, record that from my laptop, stream gameplay with no audio, then edit the audio over the video then post it....like fuck....totally defeats the the purpose of a "live" stream.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
black people get set back untold amount of years...Obama presidency stripped from the record books...BCT becomes the Aint Shit Crew...

I can see that. It will be the princess and the frog all over again. Fuckers were constantly bitching about it, but they werent watching the movie.

I'm holding out hope that it gets resolved before Destiny launch.

I was already thinking of struggle ways to overcome their no partychat shit. Was gonna have to host a skype call, record that from my laptop, stream gameplay with no audio, then edit the audio over the video then post it....like fuck....totally defeats the the purpose of a "live" stream.

depends on when the YouTube deal finishes, the reason i say they haven't been actually bought yet b/c the Audible Magic system they use charges per time they mute and Twitch chose the maximum time to check as to pay very very little in large chunks instead of blocking multiple times per song. Why they went to ultra cheap route when they were/are about to get 1 billion is something that confuses me due to the negatives of it

AfroMW

Always fun to know even with blatant evidence and information regarding the justice system.

Someone is always ready to step up to the plate and ask. Can we really be certain its like that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom