• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT7| Luigi took our stare

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
In that Korra demo she sent a dude flying off the screen into the air

and that dude landed on his feet. Not even landed he just feel standing

shouldn't happen in an action game brehs unless it's made in flash or something

Wait for Scalebound imo

Infinite

Who is that other girl?

Chattrisse Dolabaille, a new commer or relative unknown.

Now I know my eyesight isn't the best, but something seems...off here.

Yea. Also Missy was a big girl back then.

BunXOW1IIAAMrd2.jpg

Village

I don't see how you can say Devil May Cry 3 and 4 is a better designed game than that, which never had any such system in place. DMC3 is just pure chaos that locks core mechanics behind game progression, in game currency and execution barriers with no real rhyme or reason behind any of those barriers.

It's a good game that I still enjoy, but I don't see how you can say it's the best action game when pretty much every game since has learned from its shortcomings, and improved upon them. Play DMC3 today after playing any modern action game and it DEFINITELY shows its age
Because the gameplay and level design is such that it teaches you how to pay the game, by playing the game.

Hey you know this guy... you cant hit him with you sword.... You might wanna shoot him

Hey hey seems to be wrecking your shit, maybe you should dodge

Hey that arm thing you got there, can grab peeps, maybe you should do it. Maybe its break shields, maybe we put enimes right here to with shield specific combat to teach you sheilds. I dunno, maybe we designed this level for you to keep using your arm to show you can use you arm for everything. Hey maybe you can us it on bosses I dunno, maybe we put bosses here for that reason specifically.

Hey maybe you should learn combo's maybe we put enemies in this forest to teach that you need to vary up your strikes and kill shit quicky.

That invisible hand is in place, lets called level design, boss structure and exculpating difficulties.

Village-tier opinion

Hey... Dont.

Revengeance was good but 5 hours though?

I would say like 7 on the first play through

That game still short a shit though.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Because the gameplay and level design is such that it teaches you how to pay the game, by playing the game.

Hey you know this guy... you cant hit him with you sword.... You might wanna shoot him

Hey hey seems to be wrecking your shit, maybe you should dodge

Hey that arm thing you got there, can grab peeps, maybe you should do it. Maybe its break shields, maybe we put enimes right here to with shield specific combat to teach you sheilds. I dunno, maybe we designed this level for you to keep using your arm to show you can use you arm for everything. Hey maybe you can us it on bosses I dunno, maybe we put bosses here for that reason specifically.

Hey maybe you should learn combo's maybe we put enemies in this forest to teach that you need to vary up your strikes and kill shit quicky.

That invisible hand is in place, lets called level design, boss structure and exculpating difficulties.

I meant it teaches you about more advanced core mechanics. Nothing in DMC 4 teaches you about Jump Cancelling or Dante's style switching, while the scoring system in bayonetta teaches you that you should be going for wicked weaves as they reset combo proration and greatly increase the multiplier, which highlights the importance dodge offset as it allows you to get to those combo enders without being hit or interrupted, which ends up being a vital and necessary skill for clearing the game on the hardest difficulty.

Every aspect of Bayonetta's game design can be learned through feedback from the game itself if you pay attention, and that knowledge is useful for some goal defined by the game. I don't think that's the case with DMC from my experience

but let's not shit up this thread anymore with our conversation. If you still want to respond we should really take it to PM

Village

Also hah ^^

I meant it teaches you about more advanced core mechanics. Nothing in DMC 4 teaches you about Jump Cancelling or Dante's style switching, while the scoring system in bayonetta teaches you that you should be going for wicked weaves as they reset combo proration and greatly increase the multiplier, which highlights the importance dodge offset as it allows you to get to those combo enders without being hit or interrupted, which ends up being a vital and necessary skill for clearing the game on the hardest difficulty.

Every aspect of Bayonetta's game design can be learned through feedback from the game itself if you pay attention, and that knowledge is useful for some goal defined by the game. I don't think that's the case with DMC from my experience

but let's not shit up this thread anymore with our conversation. If you still want to respond we should really take it to PM

I would argue that a lot of the bosses in DMC4 teach you alot more than you would think, along with the difficulties

Its probably not even worth it at this point, we both have preferences.

Maybe we can go at in it a Action game related thread later.

By fat the best part of Ghost in the Shell Arise is Cornelius's work on the OST. That man has been putting in work. http://cornelius-kokakua-sound.com/

A ghost in the shell OST is good, who would have known.

:p

maybe she sounds exactly like Missy and they forgive the complexion

or maybe they saw Zoe "I'm not Black when I can help it" Saldana as Nina Simone and said "fuck it, we'll fix it in post"

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
It's weird to comment on her skin complexion since that photo seems touched up to the point where she's become a reflective surface

and idk I can't get with all this skin color policing for these straight to TV celeb biographies. I mean I could sorta kinda understand the response to Zoe Saldana as Nina Simone, but I mean do we really want black people to be getting cast in roles based on where they land on the complexion scale?

Gorillaz

I thought the joke was we all had alt accounts

Like Moris alt was Beef. He thinks he's clever when he has the 2 accounts talk to each other but we all know, Moris.

harSon

Banned
It's weird to comment on her skin complexion since that photo seems touched up to the point where she's become a reflective surface

and idk I can't get with all this skin color policing for these straight to TV celeb biographies. I mean I could sorta kinda understand the response to Zoe Saldana as Nina Simone, but I mean do we really want black people to be getting cast in roles based on where they land on the complexion scale?

I'd agree if we had dark skinned women being cast as light skinned figures, but dark skinned women ain't getting roles in general. You sort of have to speak up, because you have a phenomenon where Hollywood will only utilize lighter skinned women subscribing to Eurocentric beauty standards in the few times it does concede its insistence on over representing whites within film and television. It's just shit casting in general though. Missy wasn't a thin light skinned super model (the latter moniker is another issue in itself within film and television). It sucks to prosecute actors/actresses for something they have no control over, but then again, it also sucks that actors/actresses aren't getting roles because they're too darkly complected and/or don't embody Eurocentric beauty standards.

Slayven

I thought the joke was we all had alt accounts

Like Moris alt was Beef. He thinks he's clever when he has the 2 accounts talk to each other but we all know, Moris.

I thought the moris was beef joke was because they were both tthe only Hispanics. Until I found out Moris lied about that.

Gorillaz

I thought the moris was beef joke was because they were both tthe only Hispanics. Until I found out Moris lied about that.

Does Moris actually ever tell the truth about anything other then hating Scar Jo and helping out stormfront with their podcast?

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I'd agree if we had dark skinned women being cast as light skinned figures, but dark skinned women ain't getting roles in general. You sort of have to speak up, because you have a phenomenon where Hollywood will only utilize lighter skinned women subscribing to Eurocentric beauty standards in the few times it does concede its insistence on over representing whites within film and television. It's just shit casting in general though. Missy wasn't a thin light skinned super model (the latter moniker is another issue in itself within film and television). It sucks to prosecute actors/actresses for something they have no control over, but then again, it also sucks that actors/actresses aren't getting roles because they're too darkly complected and/or don't embody Eurocentric beauty standards.

I agree but I think that observations like this only work when applied to the aggregate.

My issue is how people have been reacting to individual cases lately. Yeah it's a problem that on the whole lighter skin actresses are getting roles over darker skin actresses, but that doesn't mean we should be scaring individual actresses out of roles or scrutinizing them on an individual level. That doesn't really solve anything, it only confuses the issue.

Unless people really do care alot about who plays Missy Elliot in some straight to TV Lifetime movie they won't watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom