• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT7| Luigi took our stare

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gorillaz

Just got out of work so I'm not exactly giving a shit right now.

Too meh to move on to the fuckery part of the BCT cycle. Maybe WSHH part later tonight.

Kreed

Probably just 24 hours to cool down. Dude was on a rampage and couldn't tell friend from foe.

Feel bad for the guy, but what can you really say to someone that has lost all hope?

You're turning it into more than it was. It was just a rant, not a cry for help. If he had posted his comments in here like he used to and not made a topic about it in the OT no one here would have made a big deal about it.

Slayven

Also I realize that some people on gaf will not understand racial issues because they either can't reconcile it with their world view or just ignorant. But one or 2 maybe 3 on a good day will. And they will ask questions or read an article to be a little more educated.

SmokyDave

You're turning it into more than it was. It was just a rant, not a cry for help. If he had posted his comments in here like he used to and not made a topic about it in the OT no one here would have made a big deal about it.
I know it was just a rant, I said as much in the thread. Doesn't excuse him going off on mantidor though. If you make a discussion thread, people naturally assume you want to discuss something.

Also I realize that some people on gaf will not understand racial issues because they either can't reconcile it with their world view or just ignorant. But one or 2 maybe 3 on a good day will. And they will ask questions or read an article to be a little more educated.
It's impossible to fully understand racial discrimination as a white guy in the west. I say that as someone that was turned down for a role specifically because I was white. I still don't 'get it'. I wouldn't stand a chance over in the US where it seems like racism is turned up to 11 and black people are gunned down in the street for sport.

You're right that you're reaching some people though, I have no doubt about that. Even understanding that you don't understand helps you understand what you're trying to understand. Understood?

Edit: y'know, ignore this post. I'll leave it here otherwise it'll look dodgy, but take it with a pinch of salt. It's 2:30am where I am, I need to be up for work in four hours and I'm downstairs in my kitchen making bottles for my daughter because she's decided that four hours sleep is a frivolous luxury. I'm barely switched on, I certainly shouldn't be discussing serious things.

Kreed

I know it was just a rant, I said as much in the thread. Doesn't excuse him going off on mantidor though. If you make a discussion thread, people naturally assume you want to discuss something.

Telling him to go sit on a tact was too much, but I understand why he got pissed at mantidor. Writing discrimination off with "well it was worse in the past" is a BS response when you want to see more improvement.

Regardless I think we both agree he shouldn't have made a thread, but "lost all hope" is something saved for a GAF suicide thread, not something we see in here every time there's a black related thread on GAF.

Honestly, reading the first bunch of post was just confusing and scary. How could they not understand what he was posting? It seemed quite obvious, to me..then, it hit me. Shit is rough..

Slayven

It's impossible to fully understand racial discrimination as a white guy in the west. I say that as someone that was turned down for a role specifically because I was white. I still don't 'get it'. I wouldn't stand a chance over in the US where it seems like racism is turned up to 11 and black people are gunned down in the street for sport.

You're right that you're reaching some people though, I have no doubt about that. Even understanding that you don't understand helps you understand what you're trying to understand. Understood?
I get not understanding this shit, it is complex stuff. But what I hate is the dismissing, the patronizing, or just plain telling me I don't know my culture. That is when I get mad.

Honestly, reading the first bunch of post was just confusing and scary. How could they not understand what he was posting? It seemed quite obvious, to me..then, it hit me. Shit is rough..

People don't understand shit, but still feel the ned to respond.

are we on the white women cycle of BCT? Cuz JCVD's daughter tho
VWb1n.png

Jado

Banned

I think his approach was rough and bound to ruffle feathers. But I agree with you on how people just swarm in with this faux incredulity. Why be so patronizing to someone who's hurting from something that so deeply affects him. Maybe he should have said he was suffering from depression or some mental illness. Would've gotten plenty of kindness and support from those fucks from the get-go. I was feeling quite a lot of anguish first reading about minority-targeted police brutality and mass incarceration, but knew better than to go to GAF for "support." Laughable just thinking about it now.

Catching up after a weekend typhoon. So many "cot damn!" threads...

The troll husband, the Walmart shooting, cheating, that Adder thread...the one common point all of those threads drive home is that Gaf genpop is not the place to find understanding. There are people that really just have no life experience and respond positively to learning, but there are also a lot of people that just want to remain shit. It's sad and infuriating sometimes.

And I wanted to be Chi McBride :(

SmokyDave

Telling him to go sit on a tact was too much, but I understand why he got pissed at mantidor. Writing discrimination off with "well it was worse in the past" is a BS response when you want to see more improvement.

Regardless I think we both agree he shouldn't have made a thread, but "lost all hope" is something saved for a GAF suicide thread, not something we see in here every time there's a black related thread on GAF.
Yeah, that probably was a little strong, I just mean he didn't want any kind of constructive discussion, just to let off some steam. Unfortunately, not everyone sees that, so they leap to the usual 'things are great in 2014!' which just makes things worse.

I knew what he was down about before I'd reached the end of the first sentence. To be honest, the whole 'US police vs. black people' has been on my mind a lot lately too, and it's none of my business.

I get not understanding this shit, it is complex stuff. But what I hate is the dismissing, the patronizing, or just plain telling me I don't know my culture. That is when I get mad.
Gotta fess up to being dismissive myself when I started reading the first hand experiences of black Americans. It's that brand of comically evil racism that is so egregious, you think things are being fabricated or exaggerated. It's just so far removed from my points of reference (although, the brutal US police and the gun culture over there play large parts in that too) that it took me some time just to accept what I was hearing.

People don't understand shit, but still feel the ned to respond.
I wish I didn't see myself in that comment. Still sometimes you gotta open your trap to get a valuable correction.

Slayven

Yeah, that probably was a little strong, I just mean he didn't want any kind of constructive discussion, just to let off some steam. Unfortunately, not everyone sees that, so they leap to the usual 'things are great in 2014!' which just makes things worse.

I knew what he was down about before I'd reached the end of the first sentence. To be honest, the whole 'US police vs. black people' has been on my mind a lot lately too, and it's none of my business.

Gotta fess up to being dismissive myself when I started reading the first hand experiences of black Americans. It's that brand of comically evil racism that is so egregious, you think things are being fabricated or exaggerated. It's just so far removed from my points of reference (although, the brutal US police and the gun culture over there play large parts in that too) that it took me some time just to accept what I was hearing.

I wish I didn't see myself in that comment. Still sometimes you gotta open your trap to get a valuable correction.

It is comically absurd and much like Monty Python very unfunny.

Harmonium.png

you don't want them to lose their jobs come on think of the white people

in November want to give thanks and make it White woman ava month again?

DominoKid

listening to TBGWT. Rod sounds kinda like Slay except w/ modern audio equipment.

anyway they're so on point w/ these "self-checks" you do and paranoia you have whenever cops are riding behind you (or in the vicinity in general) cause you're trying to avoid having an encounter altogether. they went in on this podcast.

Slayven

You have to PM Slayven once a day for an entire year. Always at 6am. Make the subject 'Oi' and in the body, just put 'where's my fucking tag?!'.

That's how I got mine. Dude is obsessed with Monty Python. Fucking loves 'em, he does.

Davey boy we all know Benny Hill, Are you being Served?, and Mr. Bean are the height of modern British comedy.

Goat cheese, cilantro and hot sauce. Lil bit of butter as well. That's what you put on grits.

I got my tag because I get Rio'd and dehumanize folks. And when I write about it I'm drunk and need sutocprrevt. Autocorrect.

Where's Bish?

royalan

Goat cheese, cilantro and hot sauce. Lil bit of butter as well. That's what you put on grits.

I got my tag because I get Rio'd and dehumanize folks. And when I write about it I'm drunk and need sutocprrevt. Autocorrect.

Where's Bish?

goat cheese?

the fuck?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom