• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT7| Luigi took our stare

Status
Not open for further replies.
Luke Cage has always struck me as the ultimate urban hero for black people.

He goes to jail for a crime he didn't commit. He gets super-strength and becomes bulletproof (key for a urban hero). He comes home to clean up his neighborhood, but he doesn't forget that you need to get paid.

Cat

This thread moves so fast.

I guess my favorite black fictional character is Storm from X-Men. I saw Disney Princess talk earlier, and I liked The Princess and the Frog and Tiana. Never thought of how she's the only American in the line-up, but it is true.

I love that song, All About the Bass. I couldn't find it posted on GAF but thought maybe I shouldn't because of the common fat-shaming I see here. I did consider posting it in GirlGAF too.

I'm reading up on the events in Ferguson and got caught up reading the thread about it last night even though I didn't post.

whoever was filtering tweets clearly screwed up...

Buxt4JtCQAAwzvQ.png

Malyse

Luke Cage has always struck me as the ultimate urban hero for black people.

He goes to jail for a crime he didn't commit. He gets super-strength and becomes bulletproof (key for a urban hero). He comes home to clean up his neighborhood, but he doesn't forget that you need to get paid.

Luke Cage is amazeballs as fuck. I really love the way Leinil Yu draws him.

NewAvengers1-28.jpg

Lukecage.PNG

New%2BAvengers%2B37.jpg

the main reason was that Spider-Man 3, the super huge movie that everyone was gonna see, featured the black suit prominently, and Marvel would be damned if they didn't have black suit Spider-Man on shelves when those mythical "new readers" coming into comic stores looking for him.

Slayven

Know what is sad? That Thunderball the black member of the wrecking crew has a PHD and was very well read, but slowly for some unknown reason he became a barely literate thug.
/IMG]

How do we know he shot him because he was black? Maybe they got into an argument and the dad got angry because of something he said.

/OT

True, but from what the daughter states he went up to the truck to introduce himself then dad shot him 3 times. attempted to shot the daughter and apparently from an eyewitness shot at the guys young brother also....

Jado

Banned
Wait, he was black?
Actually, can't really tell. Might be mixed race, I dunno.

Looks mixed race, possibly Hispanic.

I hope the Netflix series is Cage beating the shit out of the NYPD for 16 hours straight.

Never gonna happen if filmed in NYC. "Made in NY" would be involved in a show filmed in the city, and the positive portrayal of the NYPD would be a priority. Even shows with bad cops present them as an aberrant minority contrasted against all the so-called good cops.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/film/html/about/about.shtml
As the first film commission in the country, the Mayor's Office of Film, Theatre & Broadcasting is the one-stop shop for all production needs in New York City, including permits, free exterior locations and free police assistance. The agency markets NYC as a prime location, provides premiere customer service to production companies and facilitates production throughout the five boroughs. Whether production companies are shooting a feature film, a commercial, a television show or a music video, the Mayor's Office of Film, Theatre and Broadcasting serves as an invaluable resource to the New York City entertainment production industry.

J10

Banned
Cage and Jones are my favorite comics couple. I wish they would let that kid grow up and give it some super powers so Jessica can get back into action.

Don't date white wimmenz in Tula Ok bros.

This story my have already come across BCT but I just caught wind of it today.

Who's going to post this? D:

Enjoyed Diablo 3, but didn't love it like some.

Jesus, you put any cash into it?

$37 so far, could have been less but like an idiot I thought one of the characters would be dope...I have yet to get Emma to level 60. =\

$17 on Emma pack (2 costumes, extra stash, and some retcon potions)
$20 on G points; was not at once though but throughout June to current day.

FyreWulff

Frye, teach me the OKC have breh.

Step 1) Don't use the GAF thread for OKC
Step 1a) Don't pay for A List, it's a waste of money

Step 2) Get good, honest pics. Face shot or two, if you do outings include at least one picture from one of those.

Step 3) Answer the questions. Answer them honestly, and give them honest importance ratings. This will help drive highly compatible people to you. If you can't think of a good answer for a question, skip it where possible. Don't get mired in super specific ones. Once you've gotten up to it saying the best possible match is around 95%+, stop. Why? The algos will work fine at this point, but you also need to give people a chance to actually ask you some questions of their own.

I mention this about step 3 because some people will try to "optimize" their OKC questions to avoid someone not being interested in them, and answer them as generically as possible. This is about finding someone you want, not just finding anyone.

Step 4) Fill out your goddamn profile. Don't make it a novel, but just give people a summary of you. If you're humorous, crack some jokes. If you're serioustime, talk about your professional pursuits. Don't include your name in the profile. Avoid being super specific or preachy in your profile. It's dating, not lecturing, your super specifics should be done via the questions so the servers are sending people already compatible with you towards you anyway. Don't need to beat them over the head with your worldview.

Step 5) This is the big one. You need to put in work. View your matches at the top and side, use quickmatch, look at profiles. If you like someone, rate them a 4 or a 5. If you don't like them, either leave them unrated if it's borderline or 1 star them if you feel completely incompatible. BE CHOOSY ABOUT THE RATINGS, once again, let the computers help you. Don't rate everybody a 5 star.

Looking at profiles notifies them that you looked at their profile. So just looking will get people to look at you back.

Send messages to people you are interested in. Don't say "Hi" or "sup". Look at their profile. Find a subject you want to know more about, and ask them about it. Do this for at least 20 profiles per day. Don't overthink it, don't linger on anyone for too long. Just talk to them like a regular person. You're gonna be sending out about 20 messages a day, you're expecting probably 1 reply for every 20. If you don't get a reply, don't send another message. If you're conversating and they stop talking, don't send another reply either. Let people go at their own speed and don't be pushy.

As a personal aside, as a male looking for women on there, let them give you their number and let them ask you to meet up. 99 other dudes on OKC are sending just their phone number in messages, so stand out and just talk to them like a person. Everyone I've been with so far, have met up, and about to go play Connect 4 with? I let them ask me first. It also goes back to not putting your name in your account or profile; when someone is comfortable enough with you, they'll give you their name and ask for yours. It's not a "trick" or anything, it's allowing a little bit of mystery so you can feel the relationship progress. The asking for number thing is ultimately personal preference, but I'm living proof that letting the other person do it works.

BHZ Mayor

Send messages to people you are interested in. Don't say "Hi" or "sup". Look at their profile. Find a subject you want to know more about, and ask them about it. Do this for at least 20 profiles per day. Don't overthink it, don't linger on anyone for too long. Just talk to them like a regular person. You're gonna be sending out about 20 messages a day, you're expecting probably 1 reply for every 20. If you don't get a reply, don't send another message. If you're conversating and they stop talking, don't send another reply either. Let people go at their own speed and don't be pushy.

I don't even think there are enough people in my area for 20 messages a day. I think I've literally messaged every chick I'm interested in at this point.

KumaJG

Not a full time job, but you can't make a profile, sit back, and be all "now I wait"

I completelty understand. Just kind of forgot how the online dating operate. Last time I did online dating was back in high school during the MySpace / Blackplanet / Migente era. The messages I would send to chicks surpassed some of the shit Slayven would say.

strobogo

Banned
Looks mixed race, possibly Hispanic.

Never gonna happen if filmed in NYC. "Made in NY" would be involved in a show filmed in the city, and the positive portrayal of the NYPD would be a priority. Even shows with bad cops present them as an aberrant minority contrasted against all the so-called good cops.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/film/html/about/about.shtml
As the first film commission in the country, the Mayor's Office of Film, Theatre & Broadcasting is the one-stop shop for all production needs in New York City, including permits, free exterior locations and free police assistance. The agency markets NYC as a prime location, provides premiere customer service to production companies and facilitates production throughout the five boroughs. Whether production companies are shooting a feature film, a commercial, a television show or a music video, the Mayor's Office of Film, Theatre and Broadcasting serves as an invaluable resource to the New York City entertainment production industry.

Motherfuckers still afraid of Serpico.

JohnDoe

Banned
Let me tell you about the customer who made Slayven look like Casanova.

Dude walked up to me and asked me how to message someone on facebook that's not your friend. My first impulse was to say we don't support facebook but I already had enough difficult customers today so I just wanted him off my back... I told him all you had to do was click the "message" button...

Then I see who he's messaging... it's some girl... and I just see some text that says "friend request sent"... oh boy. We all know what this means.
Z0kqP.png

Then he asks me "how do i send this song?" And he showed me a song on youtube called "Ich Liebe Dich" by some german rapper.

motherfucker
8j4rH.png

I show him how to copy&paste it. I don't wanna just drop him off in the middle of it. I'd look like an asshole and he'll just bug my coworkers until someone shows him anyway. He clicks on "send" and I watch him with this look in my eyes that was probably a mix of sadness, terror, anger and disappointment.

5 minutes later - dude asks me for help again
qpk3a.png

He asks me "how do I send this to someone?" I was like "dude I already showed you"
6eGjd.png

I look at the screen and see another youtube video "Akcent - Stay With Me"... and he's sending it to the same girl...
VWb1n.png

I help him for the last time... Another 5 minutes later I see him from far away... all I see is that he was playing another music video on youtube. So I kind of helped him stalk some poor woman.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom