• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT7| Luigi took our stare

Status
Not open for further replies.

KumaJG

While I do admit that later naruto.. ( espically now) got nuts, in good and bad ways.

I will say that description of naruto you have before the time skip is relatively the same except for he does that he does things that changes people perception of him. You know... story progression, like you can get mad at naruto for a bunch of shit the thing happening right now, sure. The fact that they keep pushing sakura for summer slam when she is not of worth, fine. Trying to be clever when instead you just made the entire government infrastructure of the leaf look like incompetent ass holes, preferectly fine. Progressing the narrative? I can't get mad at them for that. " But he is doing OP stuff" he is the son of two of the OG strongest people there and has a demon inside of him who from the first episode has been giving him super strength regeneration and a myriad of other powers. And from from the first part of Naruto he has been learning how to control this demon, I'm sorry where in the hell did you think this narrative was going? You thought naruto was gonna be well rounded and balanced considering all that, he isn't well balanced in the first episode. Dude gets stabbed in the spine.

Of course they are gonna progress the narrative, you know what happens when they don't progress the narrative for years at a time. Bleach, bleach happens do you want that. Do you want so much nothing happening that they have to insert filler arcs in between major plot points and when I say filler arcs I am talking about 10 -15 episodes dedicated to pure unrelated non canon bullshit. Not the few episode stuff that happens when naruto is walking to a village and makes a detour for 4 episodes for sheninagans. I'm talking about if naruto was going to fight medara and before he layed a hand on him, we cut to that time naruto had defend the leaf village from some other crap.

That is what happens when nothing happens.

Naruto wasn't pulling the fuckery that he is now back in pre-shippuuden. Different interpretations guess.

Bleach downfall is the main character is straight ass. He has't change all throughout the series. Who you guys kidding, Hitsugaya not dead bruh.

royalan

1LLQZpW.jpg

This shit just breaks my heart.

Village

But Bleach is better than Naruto, tho.

You know what, if that's what you are into, I am not going knock your hustle. I dissagee, I used to stan bleach hard, you don't understand. There is part during the full bring arc, where rukia saying something so stupid at the end of that nothing arc that not only made me hate that character, it started me on a path to not hating bleach but liking it a HELL of a lot less.

How does nothing happen so often in a shonen manga. And then there are all these characters that they keep pushing , that I don't give two shits about. That are enemy fodder, and just ug..

You might be like " how is a sonic fan saying this" Yes, yes that is a good question. Obviously I not only can stay on the fremenmy boat for a long ass time, I condone it. I could not stay on bleach's boat. I look at the boat, see whats happening on the boat, I can't ride on that shit anymore. I don't even recommend that to people anymore even when they want shonen main stream stuff. I just be like " ya know what, Just read hunterxhunter " do it.

Jado

Banned
I came into the series very recently and fresh, knowing nothing about Shippuden.

The way it was set up, Naruto was an unfortunate, ordinary baby who was used to trap a huge demon-beast knowing the rest of his life would be difficult. While a benefit, the demon became as much of a hindrance in his life. He was ostracized and lost his parent/s to it. He's terrible in school because of his messed-up emotional development and becomes a class clown to compensate. Just like any kid with no parents in his life. It's relatable stuff and makes him seem "real" in a show about colorful ninjas. In fact, the original series has a recurring pattern of troubled boys, each in their own way (Naruto, Sasuke, Gaara, Rock Lee, Konohamaru).

Only much later on, Tsunade and Jiraya are hinting that he looks a lot like Fourth Hokage, and surprise it is his dad. This takes away from the HUGE narrative in the Chunin Exam fights (and much of the series). The entire fight with Neji was about how Naruto was born a failure and therefore will remain a failure -- he can't possibly be a leader in the community. Pre-determined destiny is the strong indicator of the next generation of leaders with very few outliers. Naruto basically says "screw that," knowing that he doesn't fit the mold (popular, natural leader, traditionally strong, prominent ninja family with desirable genetic traits like the Hyugas and Uchihas). He decides to forge his own "Ninja Way" and just fight until he earns everyone's respect.

Oops, never mind. He has a kickass lineage all along.

Now I'm a little hazy on details since I'm literally one episode into Shippuden, but what I'm catching on to is that he was always meant to have the demon and that everything was prophecy and preordained. He's special by birth-right. Really? FFS.

Sorry, but this is not the same thing. It's a huge u-turn from the character that kicked off this series, the narrative in the numerous story arcs that precede Shippuden, and the writer obviously shoe-horned all of this crap much later in a sloppy manner. This is not meaningful progress. This is cliched garbage that devalues past feats and a character overcoming obstacles. Star Wars PT and Harry Potter pulled this exact same crap to the detriment of each one's fictional world.

Village

Naruto wasn't pulling the fuckery that he is now back in pre-shippuuden. Different interpretations guess.

Bleach downfall is the main character is straight ass. He has't change all throughout the series. Who you guys kidding, Hitsugaya not dead bruh.

Not on that level, but he was starting on that path.

Trey

Now I'm a little hazy on details since I'm literally one episode into Shippuden, but what I'm catching on to is that he was always meant to have the demon and that everything was prophecy and preordained. He's special by birth-right. Really? FFS

This is a very recent development (like, a few chapters ago). And it's not even a hard prophecy, more like Naruto is one of two characters (you know who the other one is) who can actually defeat the final boss. That's why his chakra pool is so large, and why he isn't getting jobbed by the final boss like literally every other character save three.

It does sort of take away from his "believe it: my ninja way!" shit that is pretty much his entire character, but it's not quite as deterministic as most prophecies in stories are.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Naruto was the chosen one from day one

He had the fox demon in him from the beginning, which is mostly where his talent comes from in the beginning(his only worthwhile trait is his large chakra reserve, which is not so subtly blamed on the fox) and it always comes through to save him when he can't hang on his own

Village

Oops, never mind. He has a kickass lineage all along.

Now I'm a little hazy on details since I'm literally one episode into Shippuden, but what I'm catching on to is that he was always meant to have the demon and that everything was prophecy and preordained. He's special by birth-right. Really? FFS.

Sorry, but this is not the same thing. It's a huge u-turn from the character that kicked off this series, the narrative in the numerous story arcs that precede Shippuden, and the writer obviously shoe-horned all of this crap much later in a sloppy manner. This is not meaningful progress. This is cliched garbage that devalues past feats and a character overcoming obstacles. Star Wars PT and Harry Potter pulled this exact same crap to the detriment of each one's fictional world.

Just keep diving in,

Eventually there are several explanations for a lot of the stuff presented in and before the first part even happens. Either you will think its stupid, or its actually kind of smart.

Have fun.

Also spoilers, in case you wandering, no sakura does not infact get any better. That in fact goes nowhere, in fact it goes farther down the hill. You though that was the bottom of the hill, No the hill is steep as fuck and she rolls down that shit at maximum velocity. In fact, the author acknowledges it and its many peoples favorite naruto thing period. Like this weird " what have I done. what is this horrible shell of trope I have created" The chapter of that sequence should just be called "Sakura ain't shit".

Slayven

Lets Be Cops annoys me. if Fryewulf rolled up to me and said "Lets pretend to be cops!!". I would be like "Nope, cause if we get caught, on top of going to jail I will get a nightstick in the ass."

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
the face in Retro's avy is too weird not to laugh at

2anime4me

You're supposed to laugh at it. It's supposed to be a "you ain't shit" expression as she performs her trademark parries.

http://i.imgur.com/Q29kFeO.jpg

What I really liked about it though was the hands and the effects of the parries, as it's similar to what the in game effect is

Image just don't translate well to gaf avatar limits lol

Best thing about Bleach was the liberal use of Spanish and the alto section that came in when they got ready to scrap.

The OT is too heavy today...

ed: Retro, is that supposed to be Jam? lol

Imm0rt4l

But Bleach is better than Naruto, tho.

I wouldn't know as I've never seen Naruto. I remember watching bleach around when it first came out, I think I watched the first 100 episodes and was like "what am I doing with myself". There's better shit to watch out there, 100 episodes deep and I dunno how much of that was filler, stopped reading the manga shortly after. I've since become picky when it comes to the shonen I watch.

To be fair, I stopped watching shonen anime years ago. Too much standing and staring. Just take my 5 minutes to read it on Wednesday and call it a day.

I remember watching bleach around when it first came out, I think I watched the first 100 episodes and was like "what am I doing with myself". There's better shit to watch out there, 100 episodes deep and I dunno how much of that was filler

This is me but with Inuyasha

I kept waiting for the Monk to smash ol girl, but his Slayvenous antics kept him away from the cheeks for so long I lost interest.

Slayven

I kept waiting for the Monk to smash ol girl, but his Slayvenous antics kept him away from the cheeks for so long I lost interest.
inuyasha was grabage, that demon dude was like Cobra Commander always getting away at the last second.

Best thing about Bleach was the liberal use of Spanish and the alto section that came in when they got ready to scrap.

The OT is too heavy today...

ed: Retro, is that supposed to be Jam? lol

That Spanish guitar when they were in the hollow world.

Village

My issue with inu yashi is

In this story Virgil has a far more compelling story than dante, so everytime a sesshomaru thing would come up that part would be way better than the everything else because sesshomaru had to learn how not to become a shit. And that narrative was far more compelling and interesting than " naruku is bad and fucked up everyone life can't wait to kill him". So much so that when that characters story ended, and he learned the meaning of friendship and self confidence and he got his arm and what was essentially the yamato back. I just stopped watching, my investment had seen vindication and I dipped. Because I didn't really give a shit about the protagonists, or Naraku the antagonist. Besides kagome I cannot say any of them are complete shit characters, they just weren't that interesting.

Hell the most interesting non sesshomaru parts of that, were the Inu yasha Kagome school shenigans that happened in the anime. So maybe this should have been ranma 2 staring a demon lost in time rather than... Ya know this journey thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom