• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT7| Luigi took our stare

Status
Not open for further replies.
wooooowwww /FUCK/ polygon.

And i'm sorry, Obama's credibility after that statement just went down for me. Wasting time mentioning looters and 'police being hurt' when civies are being shot. fuck /that/

I mean, it had to happen. He can't seem like he's condoning that.

Speech was still weak, though.

brought out MLK like a prop:

BvAt46gCEAAZm4l.png

he should speak for himse... oh... riiight.

D i Z

Hi all.

Where you're from- Birmingham, England.

Where you live- Los Angeles, California.

Your cultural heritage, lineage and genealogy- Indo-Jamaican, Jamaican-African.

Do you know your roots- Somewhat.

Your Age- 39

Favorite musical genre- Trip Hop, Some pop, Hip hop, Jungle/ D&B, 1950s and 1960s Americana, French Cabaret, Elecronica to name a few.

Your profession/major/career interest- Game and comic book character designer, painter, muralist, Web developer and UI design, Illustrator and animator.

Your religious affiliation- Loose affiliation to Christianity.

Hobbies- Gaming, thinking about painting but not actually doing it. Day dreaming. Bball. Watching almost everything Scifi related. Perfecting my sandwich recipes.

Popeyes all day. Although KFC has a slamming Potato salad that I won't say no to.

I don't remember if I introduced myself yet...

Where you're from-

Born in Nigeria

-Bounced back and forth between Chicago and jersey

Where you live-

Providence, RI

Your cultural heritage, lineage and genealogy-

Yoruba/Bears fan

Do you know your roots-

-Blackthought
-Questlove
-CKD
I forgot the rest..

Your Age-

Favorite musical genre-

Alternative Kanye

Your profession/major/career interest-

-Film/Animation

-Stand Up Comedy

Your religious affiliation-

- Agnostic

Hobbies-

-Painting/Sculpture

I don't remember if I introduced myself yet...

Where you're from-

Born in Nigeria

-Bounced back and forth between Chicago and jersey

Where you live-

Providence, RI

Your cultural heritage, lineage and genealogy-

Yoruba/Bears fan

Do you know your roots-

-Blackthought
-Questlove
-CKD
I forgot the rest..

Your Age-

Favorite musical genre-

Alternative Kanye

Your profession/major/career interest-

-Film/Animation

-Stand Up Comedy

Your religious affiliation-

- Agnostic

Hobbies-

-Painting/Sculpture

KFC, Popeye's or Church's, though? This is important.

Jado

Banned
I've had Yusuf Hawkins on my mind all morning, for reasons I can't adequately explain. I guess the Bensonhurst attack was my Ferguson, in a way. I'd always known there were awful problems, particularly in some communities, but I was 19 when the guys in Bensonhurst killed Hawkins, and it woke me the fuck up. It's not the same as the cops doing the killing, of course, but Yusuf has been on my mind all morning anyway, as has this song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ouN8ksM8Lo

I'm in a nearby neighborhood, not Bensonhurst proper, but the entire general area still has a racist element to it. It's gotten quite diverse over the years, especially just in my few years living in the area... but there's still a lingering oddness. The local officials are Republican, there's a pro-AMERICA! vibe that's uncharacteristic for NYC and you normally see in small towns (flags on lawns, police/veteran idolization), a number of bars have an older working class clientele that doesn't look welcoming to a young brown man whose new to the area, the NYPD has been caught spying on harmless Islamic community centers in the area and I've read some racist shit online about what people here think of the influx of Muslims and other brown people in the area. I've felt people glaring at me when I moved here, business owners being not so friendly in offering service, plus a couple of other minor things that were inconsequential but left a "funny taste in my mouth."

Here's this Halal food cart vendor who had ongoing problems with this shithead bar owner down the street.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkvlrax_k4E

I've walked by here dozens of times, bought food a number of times. Regardless of your opinion about carts, the guy is completely harmless and not affecting anyone or anything. Worst person in all this is the scumbag bar owner using coded language and saying that the cart attracts a bad element to the area... yet it's his shitty bar that has received numerous complaints about drunk white people spilling out onto the street screaming and fighting.

besada

Banned
Guy in the front is my roommate/good friend. Crazy to see this pic end up here. The photo has been all over the news. Hopefully we can keep the momentum of the awareness going

I'm pretty sure my limited number of Twitter followers are already sick of it, but I don't really care. Phil Plait(Bad Astronomy) and Greg Rucka(Batman, Punisher, etc.) have been going HAM over it all morning, too.

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing
Write an article initially (I think its been changed by now) called: "What Watch Dogs can tell us about the situation in Ferguson"

Main point was about cameras on cops or something

People were understandably upset

Bunch of idiots. The whole lot of them.

Edit: Tips For Being An Unarmed Black Teen [The ONION]

This one got me, lol

Try to see it from a police officer’s point of view: You may be unarmed, but you’re also black.

cdyhybrid

Bunch of idiots. The whole lot of them.

Edit: Tips For Being An Unarmed Black Teen [The ONION]

This one got me, lol

Onion has been on point.

Police Officer Doesn’t See A Difference Between Black, Light-Skinned Black Suspects

FORT WAYNE, IN—Explaining that his sole concern is serving and protecting his community, Fort Wayne police officer Vincent Turner told reporters Wednesday that he does not see any difference between black and light-skinned black suspects. “As an officer of the law, I am committed to administering justice swiftly and even-handedly, regardless of whether the suspect has dark skin or really dark skin,” said Turner, adding that he has no problem giving a full pat-down to any potential criminal or hauling them down to precinct headquarters in the back of his patrol car, even if they are more of a light mocha color. “When you’re responding to reports of gunshots fired, or sprinting down an alleyway, you’re not thinking about where the suspect falls on the spectrum of African-American skin tones—you’re thinking about doing your job. Heck, the guy could be a very dark-looking Latino, for all I care—I treat every one of them the same. He’s still just a suspect to me.” Turner added that his dedication to upholding the law stems from a belief that all local residents should be able to walk their streets without fear, whether they come from an affluent white neighborhood or a working-class white neighborhood.

Rewatched The Rock and Armageddon recently

The Rock was legitimately good...Armageddon made me hate life

Yo I love Connery's theme in the rock, he had massive screen presence

Even though Arnold was great at that time I'm really glad he passed on the role and they rewrote it for Connery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom