• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT7| Luigi took our stare

Status
Not open for further replies.
nWTqAWC.jpg

So dude's face was the funniest part of this to everyone else too, right?

1zYZkjq.gif

royalan

This thread has grown 5 pages since I went to work this morning.

The Ferguson thread grew countless pages.

And now there's a "how do you feel around ghetto people?" thread....

Do I even want to tonight? Really?

I'm going to get myself a bud lite lime from the fridge and call over some dick. Try not to piss myself off before bed.

J10

Banned

I'm going to get myself a bud lite lime from the fridge and call over some dick. Try not to piss myself off before bed.

LOL You should be doing that every night regardless.

royalan are you running an all-male pimping ring

DominoKid

UNPOPULAR OPINION: Beer fucking sucks.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/be194a16c39f9b0385cc258235667607/tumblr_mjzpewvHQU1qcny7io1_500.png[img]

Scotch and Whiskey and Rum and Vodka are much better.[/QUOTE]

eh i think all alcohol sucks tastewise aside from that really fruity sugared up shit that's designed to taste good. some taste less like death than others. i'm not drinking it for taste though.

eh i think all alcohol sucks tastewise aside from that really fruity sugared up shit that's designed to taste good. some taste less like death than others. i'm not drinking it for taste though.

I'm in the same boat.

You guys catching Black Jesus right now? Seems like it's still trying to find itself a little bit, but it's been pretty funny so far.

Portland Mayor Charlie Hales said about 400 people attended the vigil, which included a moment of silence.

The mayor released a statement in response to the events in Ferguson earlier Thursday afternoon:

My thoughts and prayers go out to the family and friends of Michael Brown, the young man shot in Ferguson, Mo. My thoughts and prayers go out to the entire community of Ferguson. And also to the African-American community in Portland, and throughout Oregon, and throughout our nation.

No law-abiding people should ever have reason to fear the police. Yet we must honestly admit that, too often, this is not true for a wide swath of our community: people of color.

That's why I've made it a priority to join with many of my fellow mayors to focus on the lives of young black men in our community. Mayors like Michael Nutter in Philadelphia, and Mitch Landrieu in New Orleans, and I are focusing on this very topic through the Black Male Achievement Initiative.

In Portland, we are focusing on ways to collaborate with the community and to intercede on behalf of young African-Americans in the areas of jobs, education and incarceration rates. This is vital work. That is as true in Portland as it is everywhere.

Also in Portland, we have put a priority on new training for our Police Bureau, with an emphasis on the appropriate use of force, on de-escalation and on equity. Bureau members have begun receiving training on systemic inequities, implicit bias and cultural diversity. In July, as mayor and police commissioner, I joined in three intensive days of training for my staff and the top officials of the police department, on these very topics. The training, called White Men as Full Diversity Partners, was controversial to some but understood by many. But this week's headlines provide just one example of why such training is vital.

We, as a society, have consistently failed multiple groups of Americans. We cannot continue to do so in the future.

Mayor Charlie Hales

http://www.kgw.com/story/news/local/2014/08/14/portland-vigil-ferguson/14085751/

When you're feeling like it's insurmountable bullshit there are people trying.

cdyhybrid

Drunk white dude comes up to us at the bar and asks my friend's name.

"Terell"

"Oh that'll be easy to remember, it's like my friend's name. His name is Trayvon."

"What?"

Apparently it was the guy's 23rd bday and it seemed like he was there by himself.

bud lite is terrible. but i'm biased, i hate beer.

UNPOPULAR OPINION: Beer fucking sucks.

tumblr_mjzpewvHQU1qcny7io1_500.png

Scotch and Whiskey and Rum and Vodka are much better.

*hi-5*

Order

Nice article.

Made me wonder (slightly random)... if you had people draw up five different protagonists and five different criminals... how many of the protagonists would be black, and how many of the criminals?

There would be one black protagonist, yet still light enough to "connect with the audience" See? Diversity

Four black criminals with a Mexican thrown in. "It's not racist because they're not ALL black"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom