• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT7| Luigi took our stare

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like today gonna be one of those days.

My niece and her GF are in St. Lou and apparently stayed in an apartment complex close to where the Mike Brown stuff went down. They were planning to move by the end of the month, but her landlord has allowed her to break her lease sooner. We glad she getting out of there cuz her job has her working the late shift.

besada

Banned
I've had Yusuf Hawkins on my mind all morning, for reasons I can't adequately explain. I guess the Bensonhurst attack was my Ferguson, in a way. I'd always known there were awful problems, particularly in some communities, but I was 19 when the guys in Bensonhurst killed Hawkins, and it woke me the fuck up. It's not the same as the cops doing the killing, of course, but Yusuf has been on my mind all morning anyway, as has this song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ouN8ksM8Lo

Infinite

Very disappointed with certain black celebrities on social media. They rather trip over themselves gunning for mystical negro points trying to remind us that the issue in Ferguson "goes beyond color" and asking "what about black in black on crime?" I kid you not.

Very disappointed with certain black celebrities on social media. They rather trip over themselves gunning for mystical negro points trying to remind us that the issue in Ferguson "goes beyond color" and asking "what about black in black on crime?" I kid you not.
Coon train is coming

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".

names or links ?

Slayven

http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=125359334#post125359334

1905c1290569414900508712ecad9113-micdrop06.gif

It's a silly thing to say in response to the discussion I prompted.

You get straight up ignorance from young ones, willful ignorance from ones that know better because they aint trying to fuck that check up, and the ones that do tell the truth will tell a neutered version of it.

Don't expect them to speak for you.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
The trouble is that even if we don't take them as role models a lot of people do, so it is disappointing to hear them spout rhetoric. Depending on the celebrity, many are part of the media machine so they can be even more divorced from reality than the average person. Storm pretty much sums up the different types of celebrity opinion.

BHZ Mayor

The dumbest thing about "what about black on black crime" is that it ignores the fact that everyone is more likely to be a victim of crime by someone of their own race. It's actually simple math when you think about it. It's almost like, duh, of course crime is more likely to be committed on the people in the nearest vicinity, which is normally people of the same race. Maybe, just maybe, if society wasn't so segregated, then the "what about black on black crime" people might have a point.

Infinite

You get straight up ignorance from young ones, willful ignorance from ones that know better because they aint trying to fuck that check up, and the ones that do tell the truth will tell a neutered version of it.

Don't expect them to speak for you.
Ah I don't disagree but damnit I'm still disappointed.

BHZ Mayor

I understand where besada is coming from as far as derails are concerned, so this isn't a response to Slay's OP being edited or any moderation policies or anything like that. This is strictly about prevailing attitudes whenever someone is put on blast.

I just feel like these calls for "tastefulness" ONLY when someone is being called out for racist bullshit, is well, bullshit. Whether it's someone being exposed here, or Twitter, or Facebook, or wherever. It's always this same "no need to humiliate them" or "why ruin someone's life over a tweet" rhetoric. And it's always only when someone is getting exposed or receiving backlash for bullshit.

And I'm just like, how about some tastefulness for the millions of blacks that racially profiled, falsely arrested, beaten, and killed everyday? How about some tastefulness for the black kids in poor neighborhoods that can't get funding for proper education? How about some tastefulness for the millions of black men that are adversely affected by bullshit drug laws? How about some tastefulness for the millions of black women that are taught from childhood that they never be as beautiful as others unless that lighten their skin and put unnecessary chemicals in their hair?

Jado

Banned

Fucking assholes.

When I was 16, I had four men in a car pull up on me in the middle of the night on an empty street, roll down the window and start asking me bizarre questions. I was about to take off in fear for my life when one of these geniuses finally decides to identify himself as a cop. In light of everything I've learned about the police over the years, I wonder what would have happened to me if my instincts had kicked in a few seconds earlier.

At least this is gonna go down as another horrendously ugly chapter of racist American history, right alongside slavery, Jim Crow, Rodney King, etc. I hope those shithead cops feel good knowing they stand on the wrong side of history like their predecessors. Probably just reminisce to their grandchildren about how "it wasn't so bad."

I'm with you on that. Imagine playing some horror games with oculus rift/morpheus and headphones. You'd have to pay me some serious money.

I'm still getting mine set up correctly. Will try precisely this, maybe today. I expect to be more frightened than from any game/movie ever. I dunno.. I like scary shit. I will watch a scary movie on the big TV after 11pm with the lights down and the sound system loud enough. You're not doing it right otherwise.

Silky

Banned
wooooowwww /FUCK/ polygon.

And i'm sorry, Obama's credibility after that statement just went down for me. Wasting time mentioning looters and 'police being hurt' when civies are being shot. fuck /that/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom