• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT7| Luigi took our stare

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brothers, you're allowed to come stay in Canada if you need. We have plenty of moose meat and enough Molson Canadian beer to go around for decades.

Better bring ya favourite Lettermans tho.. startin to get colder than a mother outchea smh

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
First South Korean ass contest -
ye1N8pI.jpg
lmfao

Mumei

Things To Stop Being Distracted By When A Black Person Gets Murdered By Police

A Black person is murdered by cops, security guards or self-appointed vigilantes every 28 hours in the U.S. The killing of an unarmed Black teenager named Mike Brown in Ferguson, MO, which has resulted in protests in that town and harsh police push-back and brutality against even more of its citizens, and which, via social media, has gotten the attention of people around the world, probably isn’t even the latest occurrence, at just three days old.

Talking to people on Twitter about Mike Brown and what’s happening in Ferguson right now, I’ve noticed (again) how easily folks get distracted when Black people are murdered by the police. It seems as though every detail is more interesting, more important, more significant—including looting of a Walmart in Ferguson, which a local Fox news station focused its entire coverage on—than the actual life that was taken by police.

So, to get folks back on track to focus on what matters most here—the killing of yet another unarmed Black teenager—I’ve compiled this list of 6 Things To Stop Being Distracted By When A Black Person Gets Murdered By the Police.

AfroMW

Hmm... I want to see how bad the robbery was if he was indeed in it. No longer the sweet innocent puppy people make out, but the question would still stand, was the shooting justified?

Personally I think American cops are too quick to pull the trigger, and too many times shoot to kill.

What a way to start the day

Mumei

Thread coming soon. Let me know if someone beats me to it.

If you do make a topic, please include a brief aside at the beginning telling people not to argue over the word choice "Murder" in the title. It's less important than the issues, and I just know someone is going to go into legalistic whining mode.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
You already know how that thread is going to go. Why bother?

Sometimes it feels like this is the Sisyphus OT. I mean we keep trying to get that rock up the hill, but nothing ever changes and we're left rolling that stone up from the bottom again the next day.

What is even the point anymore.

Slayven

I don't know if I will do the podcast tonight, still feeling some type of way about the whole thing. I don't like to disasterbate, I just try to stay informed.

Malyse

Sometimes it feels like this is the Sisyphus OT. I mean we keep trying to get that rock up the hill, but nothing ever changes and we're left rolling that stone up from the bottom again the next day.

Could get some fuckheads banned.

Every time I ask y'all why do you go full Htown in threads that only make you angry and nothing ever changes

And I never get a good response

There are some people willing to listen. It will take you far longer than you may like, but it's very possible to change a few minds. Particularly if mods are there helping to keep discussion from veering wildly off course.

The thread about sexual objectification went well enough, actually.

JDSN

Banned
Oh, im glad that final piece of evidence finally showed up so Van Owen can feel emboldened to finally post in that thread.

Why is some people's joy in life playing 'devils advocate' in threads of a racial nature?

Lots of people try to be extremely logical instead of empathizing... it's what I did (and to an extent, still do). For example, people will find a way to blame the victim instead of recognizing that the onus is on the other person not to do the thing that victimizes the other person. Following a strictly logical/philosophical chain you can put people at fault for most anything...

It'll help if you can get them to step back from that and look at the world as it is.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
It's still worth posting these topics because there's always an opportunity to help educate people that might not realize what they are doing or saying is wrong. It's still worth trying imho

Lots of people try to be extremely logical instead of empathizing... it's what I did (and to an extent, still do). For example, people will find a way to blame the victim instead of recognizing that the onus is on the other person not to do the thing that victimizes the other person. Following a strictly logical/philosophical chain you can put people at fault for most anything...

It'll help if you can get them to step back from that and look at the world as it is.

It's nature of these people. I don't think you can get them out of it because they already are going in with intent of trying to get you to think their way.

Crocodile

Oh, im glad that final piece of evidence finally showed up so Van Owen can feel emboldened to finally post in that thread.

Oh does that guy have a "record"? I was surprised there were still those holding onto that 'but they all be rioting and looting and shit" concept

It's nature of these people. I don't think you can get them out of it because they already are going in with intent of trying to get you to think their way.

Oh, there are some people that aren't as entrenched in their beliefs as others. I've had decent conversations with people like that, and they end up giving me a new perspective as well as them. Plus, I get into race/gender etc. arguments in real life all the time, and knowing how to respond to people helps a lot. The other day, a friend believed that racism no longer existed, and I was able to pull up articles proving that it did based on past GAF discussions.

Besides, there are some people who may not want to admit it, but there are plenty of people on the correct side of the argument that may not know how to respond to certain things either. It's a huge benefit of group discussion.

BlackJace

People want to feel smart, or impartial, so they tend to favor "cold logic" over "emotion". What they don't realize, however, is that many situations don't call for it, and they end up looking like absolute assholes in the process.

People want to feel smart, or impartial, so they tend to favor "cold logic" over "emotion". What they don't realize, however, is that many situations don't call for it, and they end up looking like absolute assholes in the process.

This was more eloquent than what I said, hah

Kreed

Every time I ask y'all why do you go full Htown in threads that only make you angry and nothing ever changes

And I never get a good response

We link/reference every thread we read in this thread. Even if we want to avoid the OT/Gaming, it's in here and we have to at least know what the thread is about to even participate in the conversations currently going on. And that's if we aren't linking the full blown posts. Not complaining since I do it all the time, just saying it's not a surprise people who regular this thread still end up posting in threads that set them off.

"We is our own worse enemy".

besada

Banned

You guys are my heroes. The ones who go in and beat their heads against the ignorance. I can only imagine how frustrating it is for you. I do what I can to help, but that's only so much, given the restrictions mods work under. But you guys go in, speak truth, put up with the bullshit, and you do it in the hopes that someone will learn something.

My cap is off to all of you.

Man, I just started working a four day workweek and this is my first Friday off. 2 extra hours a day is so worth an extra day to myself.

Also, good to know that a black man's life is worth a $50 box of Swisher Sweets. That shit's got me so aggravated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom