• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT7| Luigi took our stare

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll get around to watching NGE one day, I'll go in with low expectations. Mostly because almost everyone who talks it up usually tell me it was one of their first anime (red flag number 1) and they always tell me it has one of the best stories ever (red flag number 2).

Nostalgia and hyperbole...yea...I don't see this being anywhere near as good as how cats make it out to be.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I wouldn't recommend NGE

If you're curious, by all means see it for yourself

but you could find alot better ways to occupy your time

DominoKid

I'll get around to watching NGE one day, I'll go in with low expectations. Mostly because almost everyone who talks it up usually tell me it was one of their first anime (red flag number 1) and they always tell me it has one of the best stories ever (red flag number 2).

Nostalgia and hyperbole...yea...I don't see this being anywhere near as good as how cats make it out to be.

it's not.

Kreed

aaliyah's darkskin?

i know she's darker than zendaya (who?) but i never thought she was dark.

Yeah I don't think this is a big deal casting wise. Aaliyah wasn't light skin, but she wasn't dark skinned either. And while this girl is a lighter than Aaliyah, this isn't a Nina Simone vs Zoe situation. Plus the darker skinned women (the women getting rejected for these roles) wouldn't fit the role of Aaliyah either.

Now if this girl had been cast to play Ray J's sister in a Lifetime movie, then I could see the backlash.

Gattsu25

Banned
Shit seemed overrated. It's either NGE or DBZ as everyone's first anime.
If you're going to watch NGE just watch the films to get a pretty complete picture of the series in under 4 hours:
  • Neon Genesis Evangelion: Death & Rebirth
  • The End of Evangelion

Just stop watching it from there. If you enjoyed what you watch then you can head back around and watch the show or the newer films.

It's decent on the whole. End of Evangelion is pretty great, IMO. I think the show is poorly paced and drags for far too long.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Say what you want, its the Final Fantasy of the anime in that you need to see it to hate on it/love it properly and be able to cast necessary bias against/for other shows that were no doubt influenced by it in the future.

I can't be the guy to only recommend things that I deem great or make me feel good about. NGE is going to inspire a multitude of reactions out of people and its production values are pretty damned good. That alone would get it recommendation - but the fact that it's mere mention causes an immediate reaction by whoever's listening should be the primary reason why someone should see it for themselves.

the final fantasy of anime? i cant feel that at all. its a divisive series for sure ill give you that.

Nah.

Overrated is the one word people need to quit using.

despite how you may feel about it, overrated is definetely the proper term to apply to eva.

ReiGun

I feel like I would have liked NGE more if I was younger when I watched it. I don't mean that as a knock against people who like it, mind you. I just think it would have spoken to me more at 14-15 than it did when I watched it at 19. As is though, I just see it as an "okay" show with a great visual look.

fire emblem awakening on hard is only hard in the beginning

its hard as fuck in the beginning. expect casualties of gettysburg proportions
I was doing alright in the very beginning. I actually managed to keep Donnel da gawd alive this time. But then I hit chapter 7 or 8 and I've been legit shook ever since.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
If you're going to watch NGE just watch the films to get a pretty complete picture of the series in under 4 hours:
  • Neon Genesis Evangelion: Death & Rebirth
  • The End of Evangelion

Just stop watching it from there. If you enjoyed what you watch then you can head back around and watch the show or the newer films.

It's decent on the whole. End of Evangelion is pretty great, IMO.

Dude come on...

No. No matter what series or show you're talking about, recommending the recap to people is always fucked up.

Always.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I almost kind of miss going to the video store.

Which section of the video store?

FykOuwG.png

Gattsu25

Banned
Dude come on...

No. No matter what series or show you're talking about, recommending the recap to people is always fucked up.

Always.

I would normally agree but I think it was an improvement in this case. It sure beats listening to highschool level philosophizing over stock footage of tokyo for an hour.

Edit: I'm being unfair. There is a lot of content/context that can be missed but I think the recap nature of Death & Rebirth is done well enough that a new viewer wouldn't be lost. I agree with the earlier post that it's probably something worth watching just due to how divisive the comments on the show can be.

royalan

naw breh. jessica simpson made mandy moore a family woman and guest star on scrubs i don't want to hear it

Definitely agreed with the bolded.

Her last album was the first pop album I ever got. Still gets play to this day.

I just... I don't know, even when I try I can't get mad at Zendaya's casting.

Yeah, I don't know if I'm mad. And Aaliyah really wasn't all that dark herself (although, she was definitely dark enough to not be considered light-skinned). One of those rare cases when I can see both sides of the argument and don't feel strongly enough either way to take a position.

I'll go on record and say Brandy is a shit singer. Don't get me wrong she had a few songs in which she killed it vocally, but vast majority of times chick made garbage on wax aurally. Her writing was usually garbage, as was her singing. She always need someone to push her and teach her how to do shit. That overly airly crap she did on her debut album...I'll never understand how she blew up. Then she sounded straight scrub tier compared to her rival Monica. But like I said every once in a while Brandy would kill a song. If she sang more like that than her usual; she'd be remembered better. All I remember her for nowadays is the fact she killed someone.

The problem with Brandy wasn't that she couldn't sing (she could kill a song every now and then, as you pointed out). Problem with Brandy was that she was a better singer than she played herself out to be. Something about Pop music in the 90s had girls with strong voices taking on these weird affectations to make them sound lighter and wispier. Monica escaped that because she was always more on the R&B side of things than Brandy was.

But trust, Brandy can sing. Listen to her today.

DY_nasty

the final fantasy of anime? i cant feel that at all. its a divisive series for sure ill give you that.

despite how you may feel about it, overrated is definetely the proper term to apply to eva.
pimped out, watered down over time, saturated by nostalgia, more fun to be a fan than an actual fan, waifus, shitty protags, nonsensical following, easy to hate, hard to love, divisive in spite of amazing production, etc

its final fantasy

and its not overrated. pedantic as all hell and pretentious and literally designed to make fun of its own fanbase. but it does what it shows up to do.

Trey

Saying something is overrated just means you don't agree with how people generally receive the entity in question. With the added presumption that you maintain the correct opinion and that the masses are misguided.

NGE is not influential, relevant and celebrated/condemned for no reason.

I am firmly against people being so weak as to delete words because they don't agree with them.

It's as close to a non-word as there is. It's used when people aren't knowledgeable about the subject, or are too lazy to construct an actual argument with points.

I don't want to delete the word so much as raise the level of discourse.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
People who complain about the word "overrated" I feel are getting to the point where they're almost as annoying as the people that remind everyone that the things they say are just their opinions

DY_nasty

I would normally agree but I think it was an improvement in this case. It sure beats listening to highschool level philosophizing over stock footage of tokyo for an hour.
Its part of the show to be judged as a whole.

A 2 hour recap is and will always be a 2 hour recap. Show the highlights to a 7 game series, Man of Steel, The Shield, The Godfather, The Naked Gun, BET's The Game, Star Trek: TNG, etc while saying its like the whole thing but 'better' - you're screwing someone.
People who complain about the word "overrated" I feel are getting to the point where they're almost as annoying as the people that remind everyone that the things they say are just their opinions

overrated is vague as hell. worse than checking out a gaming thread where someone says "the gameplay sucked"

I swear that scene from Big Lebowski is similar to Chris Rock's infamous bit.

What started out as a joke has become horribly twisted.

overrated is vague as hell. worse than checking out a gaming thread where someone says "the gameplay sucked"

but what if it did?

I've known it to be Cowboy Bebop.

I aint scared of you muthafuckas
iS8icxB5vZp7o.png

CB is pretty good, I wouldn't say it's the best thing since sex. Honestly I have trouble saying any anime is 'the best'. I can't even do that for manga and novels.

I think CB does have one of the more amazing soundtracks in an anime though.

ReiGun

Saying something is overrated just means you don't agree with how people generally receive the entity in question. With the added presumption that you maintain the correct opinion and that the masses are misguided.

It's as close to a non-word as there is. It's used when people aren't knowledgeable about the subject, or are too lazy to construct an actual argument with points.

I don't want to delete the word so much as raise the level of discourse.
This is more or less my feelings on the word. It's a term that criticizes the audience more than the material being discussed, which is never any good for conversation that aims to dissect the merits of a thing.

DY_nasty

but what if it did?
then you could spare a few more words than one to better explain your position

overrated is lazy as fuck and disproportionately dismissive all at the same time. if it sucked so bad, you should have no problem filling in the "why"

Nobody is going to believe this. Decades of media conditioning will make sure of that.

Black people aren't lazy?! One time I was at the grocery store and&#8230;<insert anecdotal evidence about random black person refusing to work and rather stay on food stamps>.

Here we go
Firefox_Screenshot_2014_06_23_T03_17_56_641_Z.png

Aw yisss

Made a thread in OT on the If Black People Said The Stuff White People Say video.

bgv0oj.gif

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member

Then ask people to elaborate

If they can't, then you can say they're full of shit

If they can, there you go you've effectively "raised the level of discourse"

People communicate with vague descriptors in casual conversation. If you want to talk more in detail, then just talk to the person. Why we drawing all these conclusions about their thoughts based on a simple word choice when they're right in front of us?

Parallax

pimped out, watered down over time, saturated by nostalgia, more fun to be a fan than an actual fan, waifus, shitty protags, nonsensical following, easy to hate, hard to love, divisive in spite of amazing production, etc

its final fantasy

and its not overrated. pedantic as all hell and pretentious and literally designed to make fun of its own fanbase. but it does what it shows up to do.

by that measure, isnt the dragon ball series the final fantasy of anime?

i dont think it was designed to make fun of its fanbase, but when people were looking for deeper meaning the random religious references, they kind of made fun of themselves

NGE is not influential, relevant and celebrated/condemned for no reason.

isnt that how opinions work? like when im told that i dont get eva and that its too deep because i walked away unimpressed by the series, isnt that the same thing going on?

Kreed

The only time I have an issue with the word overrated is when it's being used for a form of media that was never popular to begin with. For example, I'll see posters post something like "God's Hand is overrated". As if God's Hand was popular enough to be rated anything.

Y'all motherfuckers watch a lot of anime.

You listen to Japanese music. You can no longer look down on these people Rio!
adECbo1.png
adECbo1.png
adECbo1.png

The only time I have an issue with the word overrated is when it's being used for a form of media that was never popular to begin with. For example, I'll see posters post something like "God's Hand is overrated". As if God's Hand was popular enough to be rated anything.

I agree with this.

then you could spare a few more words than one to better explain your position

overrated is lazy as fuck and disproportionately dismissive all at the same time. if it sucked so bad, you should have no problem filling in the "why"

Over the years, I've come to learn you could type up a dissertation on why you dont like a game or something in a game and the fanboy you're talking to really couldn't care less because he's still in love with the game so there's nothing left other than to pointlessly argue back and forth for five pages about essentially nothing.

I'm old enough now to realize I don't have time for that shit. Actually, I do, I just don't feel like entertaining your stupid ass.

DY_nasty

Then ask people to elaborate

If they can't, then you can say they're full of shit

If they can, there you go you've effectively "raised the level of discourse"

People communicate with vague descriptors in casual conversation. If you want to talk more in detail, then just talk to the person. Why we drawing all these conclusions about their thoughts based on a simple word choice when they're right in front of us?
i don't ask people to elaborate unless i'm intentionally being an asshole - because with their response they intentionally believed that they already gave enough to start with. short responses are indicative of not caring.

watch him insult me on some stupid shit if this keeps going though

dude wants to break down why 'overrated' is a crappy descriptor, he's got my support. i've still got more of a response for why overrated is X and not Y over the actual topic of the discussion so maybe oh i dont know.

I'm old enough now to realize I don't have time for that shit. Actually, I do, I just don't feel like entertaining your stupid ass.
point made. storm chamber in his feelings over a word brought up in a discussion that he wasn't even in. and i didn't even go get my trolling keys

Parallax

well maybe you should elaborate

whoa there buddy

leave good ole dbz out of this. it never hurt anyone

i hyped dragon ball z to the moon an back based on the 13 episodes of the original series and that part in namek that they kept looping. i even hyped the clips of the cell games and buu saga that i saw on my pre 56k modem. fuck i was hyped for gt. then i actually saw the episodes, and i got pissed on the level they shit on gohan and how much of golden god they made goku. and GT...... jesus fuck.

Trey

GT is a crime against humanity.

isnt that how opinions work? like when im told that i dont get eva and that its too deep because i walked away unimpressed by the series, isnt that the same thing going on?

Not exactly. When you say it's good or bad or most any adjective, you are implicitly saying that it's simply your opinion that it's whatever you think it to be. When you say something is overrated, you are implicitly saying you think it is whatever you think it is and that all opinions that skew more favorably than yours are wrong. Like Reigun said, it's more of a commentary on the audience than it is the actual media.

Kinda. And rightfully, you should tell someone they're on shit if they're using NGE to talk down on you.

DY_nasty

i hyped dragon ball z to the moon an back based on the 13 episodes of the original series and that part in namek that they kept looping. i even hyped the clips of the cell games and buu saga that i saw on my pre 56k modem. fuck i was hyped for gt. then i actually saw the episodes, and i got pissed on the level they shit on gohan and how much of golden god they made goku. and GT...... jesus fuck.

Dragon Ball Z has inspired more American athletes than the fucking Bible

ReiGun

The hatchet job on Gohan during the Buu saga is a big part of why I hate that arc. And I say that as someone that actually liked the Saiyaman stuff. My dude went from bodying Cell to being put on the bench so Goku could be the hero. Ugh

Parallax

Dragon Ball Z has inspired more American athletes than the fucking Bible

i..cant refute this. ive seen more dbz button ups in high school as well as dudes powering up after good plays than there should be. and the random enishi shirt, but i dont think dudes wearing those shirts knew who he was.

If people stopped wanting more DBZ shit it would have ended at the Frieza saga like it was suppose to.

But nooooooo you mofos kept asking for more. You are your own worst enemies.

Yu Yu Hakuso was better anyway.

*Walks away*

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
If people stopped wanting more DBZ shit it would have ended at the Frieza saga like it was suppose to.

But nooooooo you mofos kept asking for more. You are your own worst enemies.

Yu Yu Hakuso was better anyway.

*Walks away*

Yu Yu hakusho was better because it ignored the manga at the end though, which was terrible apparently(never read it)

nothing to do with fans, just the author not giving a shit anymore

and Flame of Recca > Yu Yu

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom