• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT7| Luigi took our stare

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silky

Banned
I still don't like the 'Samurai X' version of Rurouni's anime. Shit was trash. Whatever they showed on Toonami (I thiiink Aniplex did it?) was the better version

Onemic

Ive only watched the first episode of Yu Yu Hakusho

I've only watched the first episode of Rorouni Kenshin

I've never watched a single episode of Hajime no Ippo in my life

I've never watched a single episode of that Slam Dunk anime in my life

Crocodile

I swear I stumble into this topic during the weirdest times LOL

I guess it's more light-hearted than "lets all look at these racist fools and weep for humanity" or "my ______ died today" :(
Seriously though it fees like a lot of death has happened recently. My condolences to all affected :(

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
I always miss the anime talk. Dammit. :(

YYH, Rurouni Kenshin, Sailor Moon, DBZ, Trigun, Outlaw Star, Tenchi Muyo, Rounin Warriors (nobody remembers this but me lol), Gundam Wing, Witch Hunter Robin, Big O, Paranoia Agent (best damn opening ever), Inuyasha, Cowboy Bebop... my ass seen all of these.

Nostalgia kicks in every time.

YYH is forever the best damn shounen anime I've ever seen. But I fucking loved RK, Trigun, PA, and CB. Those were the shows I made sure I never missed. :3

I always miss the anime talk. Dammit. :(

YYH, Rurouni Kenshin, Sailor Moon, DBZ, Trigun, Outlaw Star, Tenchi Muyo, Rounin Warriors (nobody remembers this but me lol), Gundam Wing, Witch Hunter Robin, Big O, Paranoia Agent (best damn opening ever), Inuyasha, Cowboy Bebop... my ass seen all of these.

Nostalgia kicks in every time.

YYH is forever the best damn shounen anime I've ever seen. But I fucking loved RK, Trigun, PA, and CB. Those were the shows I made sure I never missed. :3

Yoroiden Samurai Troopers!

You listen to Japanese music. You can no longer look down on these people Rio!
adECbo1.png
adECbo1.png
adECbo1.png

I agree with this.

Dammit forgot you knew about that. Jiro 4 life.

Naw but the only anime I ever dug into was old shit. YYH, 8th MS Team, Patlabor, and Iria.

The only recent shit I fucks with is One Piece. And I'm behind on that shit. My boys have been trying to get me to watch FMA and SnK.

So, how do you guys feel about Zandaya playing Aaliyah in the upcoming biopic? Here's a pic:

3QuBk53.png

There's been somewhat of a controversy since Lifetime announced who they chose for the role, all due to Zandaya being significantly lighter than Aaliyah.

On one hand, I hate when we have these "light-skinned vs. dark-skinned" color arguments. It often feels like unfairly denying light-skinned black people the right to claim their blackness, or implying they're just not "black enough."

But, on the other hand, part of me can't deny that part of Aaliyah's appeal was that she was a dark-skinned black girl with effortless amounts of swag, crossover appeal, and a beautiful singing voice that spoke of maturity beyond her years. She was a role model for all girls, but especially dark-skinned girls. Even though this was the 90s, when dark-skinned girls were popular (that wouldn't change until Beyonce's reign of terror).

I dunno...

Huh. If they wanted someone for the Beyonce biopic, this chick would be perfect. Otherwise...no.

Slayven

Was it really?

It's about as necessary as the Departed

in that there's this really interesting movie that alot of people are talking about

but fuck watching anything with subtitles/non-white actors
I remember people in geeky circles pasting that shit around like booty talk 12

So, how do you guys feel about Zandaya playing Aaliyah in the upcoming biopic? Here's a pic:

3QuBk53.png

There's been somewhat of a controversy since Lifetime announced who they chose for the role, all due to Zandaya being significantly lighter than Aaliyah.

On one hand, I hate when we have these "light-skinned vs. dark-skinned" color arguments. It often feels like unfairly denying light-skinned black people the right to claim their blackness, or implying they're just not "black enough."

But, on the other hand, part of me can't deny that part of Aaliyah's appeal was that she was a dark-skinned black girl with effortless amounts of swag, crossover appeal, and a beautiful singing voice that spoke of maturity beyond her years. She was a role model for all girls, but especially dark-skinned girls. Even though this was the 90s, when dark-skinned girls were popular (that wouldn't change until Beyonce's reign of terror).

I dunno...
Do we really need an Aaliyah movie?

Am I the only person who watched and really enjoyed Rurouni Kenshin? Definitely my favorite of the serialized anime with 60+ episodes.

Next to Sailor Moon, of course

Yes, I watched it. Up to the ShiShiO arc. Frankly, you don't need to watch anymore after that. :)

And you know, it's really weird when people say that NGE was their first anime. Because NGE is supposed to be a deconstruction of big mecha anime (as well as therapy for the creator). Subtleties are going to be missed. But hey, it's cool, I'm just coming at this from being a fan since the early 90s.

It's not good

Re: Oldboy

This was correct.

Looks like I missed the anime discussion again. Gundam Wing was the truth, so was
The 08th MS team and the OG series that had 1/2 the population dead and colony drops in 1 year. G Gundam was bleh.

Mad I'll never see a new ep of Outlaw Star or Cowboy Bebop.

Dbz...well, I thought that Cell and Trunks setting his future right was the end of the show. Didn't like seeing Gohan jobbed out after he blew Cell into dust when dudes aura was defeating the other fighters. Except for Vegeta, of course, his swag was too much.

GT was basically the new Bomberman.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
So the rumors are true...

Dudes are really going into barbershops and asking for high top fades again. What a world...

I'd like to see that brought back. Never got enough time in the spotlight. Grace Jones deserved better.

As a kid I couldn't fuck with Flat top fades as an adult I shan't either. I did that type of shit I would look an adult fat version of the kid from people under the stairs.

Mothrr fuckers wanna look like Sheldon Turnipseed circa 1992 they can go right the fuck ahead.

Then they started showing Trigun....
YlVGJ.png
I love animes centered in western/space western atmospheres.

I just started watching Trigun again on Netflix. It still pretty compelling even though you know what's going to happen. Those first few episodes do a great job of setting up the mythos of Vash compared to the real guy before he fires his gun.

Do we really need an Aaliyah movie?

I didn't think so, but here we are.

I remember when I heard she died. A girl my first job crumpled to the floor and started bawling like a baby. I thought a family member died, but when she told me about Aaliyah I was more surprised by her reaction than the actual news.

Robin Thicke - Get Her Back

Why isn't he making a thread in OT? Seems like a typical GAF thread to me. I mean I thought it was funny at first, but now I have a bleeding heart for him. He needs a friend in his life.

I can't watch the video at work, but I got no sympathy for this dude.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Oh, that old chestnut. That sucks. "Oh they're just (old) / from a different time / we've all been there / just ignore it" are basically the weakest and yet most overused excuses I hear on a regular basis.

great opening salvo there breh.

ok kept reading. lawl. jesus.

Oh, that old chestnut. That sucks. "Oh they're just (old) / from a different time / we've all been there / just ignore it" are basically the weakest and yet most overused excuses I hear on a regular basis.

‘At the Oscars, if you didn’t vote for 12 Years a Slave you were a racist. You have to be very careful about what you say. I do have particular views and opinions that most of this town doesn’t share, but it’s not like I’m a fascist or a racist. There’s nothing like that in my history.’

Based on his perceptions of why the movie was received critically, I can only guess what these particular views and opinions are.

this would make a great thread btw. brb.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Real quick.

Last week I got put in charge of another building and had to get it cleaned by my group as part of a gohomeearly criteria. This girl, the same one I constantly refer to as a waste of a uniform, stain on all women who serve, and idiot in general, comes up to me and says

"Are we done yet, massa?"

Instead of fileting her like I typically do, I had all the other guys in earshot circle up around her and went around the group asking how fucking stupid she is on a scale of 1 to fucking stupid instead of just throwing her entire career in the bushes. She finally admits she sounded stupid BUT

"you didn't have to put me on the spot like that. Maybe if you weren't so mean all the time, I wouldn't feel the need to do stuff like that."

Motherfuckers don't learn brehs.

Furyous

Is it me or does the woman playing aaliyah need to be a *little* bit darker? At least give her some makeup or something. Either way, I'm mad. That was Ciara's role I tell ya.

Call me soft but I stay away from any of the clear race-baiting threads on this board. I'm fully content to keep it moving.

Is anyone else waiting on Rick Ross' official response to this weekend? At least he didn't get Styles P'd, Jim Jones'd, Trick Daddy'd or Yung Berg'd. Use the googles to decode the last sentence. The moral of the story from this past weekend is "we (they) call it respect, you call it extortion".

I'm on my yoga shit right now heavy. I'm drinking water and working on my hero's pose.

WHY IN THE SHIT IS TRIALS FUSION SO HARD? All I want to do is unlock the rabbit but have 12 medals to go.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
That's a really, really light picture if Zendaya though. They're honestly not that far apart imo.

Also, Ciara ain't shit unless she making another lap dance classic w/ instructional video.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom