• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT7| Luigi took our stare

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
If people stopped wanting more DBZ shit it would have ended at the Frieza saga like it was suppose to.

But nooooooo you mofos kept asking for more. You are your own worst enemies.

Yu Yu Hakuso was better anyway.

*Walks away*

yusuke is that dude.

Trey

YuYu Hakusho had similar pacing issues. And the constant footsteps SFX, oh god.

That last season wasn't quite GT tier, but man...

And it falls into the same camp as Brotherhood: even though I know it's objectively better than DBZ, I like DBZ much more.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
YuYu Hakusho had similar pacing issues. And the constant footsteps SFX, oh god.

That last season wasn't quite GT tier, but man...

Last season had the best one liners though. "Can't end a good party without someone on the floor" before the last fight had me #dead.
GT hurt plenty of people, let's not lie.

GT doesn't exist

iruYypspI3ZxH.png

Nakazato

If people stopped wanting more DBZ shit it would have ended at the Frieza saga like it was suppose to.

But nooooooo you mofos kept asking for more. You are your own worst enemies.

Yu Yu Hakuso was better anyway.

*Walks away*

A lot of ppl will agree with you

Want to talk youth, saturdays and martial arts... http://youtu.be/fR66Fjczwfk

My teacher use to tell horror stories about working on that show and how much of a bitch Bruce Lee's daughter (Shannon) was

Had some cool stories about Dead presidents as well

royalan

Am I the only person who watched and really enjoyed Rurouni Kenshin? Definitely my favorite of the serialized anime with 60+ episodes.

Next to Sailor Moon, of course

ReiGun

I feel like I missed the boat on Kenshin. I liked it whenever I saw it, but never sat down to watch it for real.

Sailor Moon was the first anime I ever watched. I didn't know it was anime at the time; I just woke up randomly one weekday morning and they were playing on my local Fox affiliate. It didn't even register to me that was supposed to be for girls till years later.

Terrible confession: I never finished this

Me neither. Toonami stopped airing the show at Chapter Black, and once I learned the last arc had no Kuwabara, I didn't even bother.

I found out they bumped it to like 5 am on Saturdays later so I managed to catch a bit of Three Kings whenever I pulled an all nighter.

Lupin is far and away the best anime, anyways.

Unless you're just talking shonen. All that shit's the same to me.

Lupin was dope, got a tidbit too procedural at times though.

Am I the only person who watched and really enjoyed Rurouni Kenshin? Definitely my favorite of the serialized anime with 60+ episodes.

Kenshin was dope; I remember being in the US for a summer and it was on Toonami or whatever the fuck you call it and was like "Oh word they've got it in the US"...then they started speaking.

Parallax

me and my dudes would race home for that yuyu/kenshin power hour. and coming from the valley to mid city, it was a real race

DominoKid

^ yeah that YYH/Kenshin hour of Toonami was tough.

Kenshin was my shit but I never saw anything past the Shishio arc.

Rurouni Kenshin is definitely dope. Shishio arc is top tier. Fell off a bit at the end but overrall it was dope.

I feel like I missed the boat on Kenshin. I liked it whenever I saw it, but never sat down to watch it for real.

Sailor Moon was the first anime I ever watched. I didn't know it was anime at the time; I just woke up randomly one weekday morning and they were playing on my local Fox affiliate. It didn't even register to me that was supposed to be for girls till years later.

Me neither. Toonami stopped airing the show at Chapter Black, and once I learned the last arc had no Kuwabara, I didn't even bother.

I found out they bumped it to like 5 am on Saturdays later so I managed to catch a bit of Three Kings whenever I pulled an all nighter.
This is me right here, too. It's like we're sharing the same mind and--
Gundam was the one thing on Toonami I could not fuck with. Well, and Big O.

iTZKNhUf9EQOd.gif

Trey

Big O rogue gallery was shit. But the mech designs were hype.

Toonami had some jams throughout the years, damn. I would literally have watched no anime if not for Toonami.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Toonami had some jams throughout the years, damn. I would literally have watched no anime if not for Toonami.

I remember some people I met at college who never saw any anime before Toonami, total frat bro stereotypes. It was hilarious to see them break into some...intense...Ryoko/Aeka debates as Tenchi aired.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I remember some people I met at college who never saw any anime before Toonami, total frat bro stereotypes. It was hilarious to see them break into some...intense...Ryoko/Aeka debates as Tenchi aired.

I had that moment in high school with Samurai Champloo.

ReiGun

royalan

Big O was dumb to me. 'It's Batman with mechs. Ok got it.' Don't care about this main character and definitely don't care about this robot chick. Ronin Warriors > Big O.

Give Big O a chance. It DOES start off really dumb...but it gets God Tier in its second season. It kinda goes stupid again in its finale, with a twist that you see coming a mile away and that you believe is SO obvious that there's no way they're going to actually go that direction. But the second season is good enough for it to be forgiven.

Parallax

Man Gundam Wing and the entire phenomenon around that shit in the US was so weird as fuck. Not even the best Gundam series by any stretch.

its designs were dope(the tallgese....hmm.) but i didnt care for its plot

but lady une was about that life. she was a black lagoon character before black lagoon was a thing

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Good God this is like a whole era I don't know.

I mean, I remember renting some of Jackie's early 90's stuff with the horrible dubs, and a few of Jet Li's old Hong Kong movies too (which reminds me I gotta buy Fist of Legend), but I remember barely any of it.

The whole pre-Jet Li/Ang Lee/Matrix wirefest is my favorite era of martial arts films. It's much more exciting to watch, and I love the obvious piped in sounds from them hitting each other. Later martial arts fights got too 'anime' for my taste.

If you get a chance, Wu Tang Clan put out a BUNCH of old movies renamed that were some of their favorite old martial arts flicks. It's called the Wu Tang Collection. I also highly recommend Master of the Flying Guillotine vs One Armed Boxer. Has a dude who throws a hat that cuts peoples heads off but not in the Kung Lao way. In the SAW way. And a guy he fights only has one arm. Duel to the Death is pretty good too, but it DEFINITELY does the anime-y thing. Jumping off each others swords, for example.

The second(?) Drunken Master with Jackie Chan is really good. There's this huge dude who was Jackie's bodyguard and he just kicks Jackie in such a way that I have trouble watching it. And I can watch some incredibly gory stuff by contrast.

ReiGun

I think most nerd kids wrote fanfiction in some form or another at one point in their lives. I remember my 5th grade class getting a short story assignment, and most of the dudes just wrote about Metal Gear or Spider-Man or whatever.

I wrote a Pokemon thing...that was like 9 pages. My teacher never even read it; she gave me an A for length alone. lol

Parallax

I think most nerd kids wrote fanfiction in some form or another at one point in their lives. I remember my 5th grade class getting a short story assignment, and most of the dudes just wrote about Metal Gear or Spider-Man or whatever.

I wrote a Pokemon thing...that was like 9 pages. My teacher never even read it; she gave me an A for length alone. lol

i made a character like scud the disposable assassin....that ive maintained and altered over the years

Never wrote fanfiction, I was off writing my own characters/worlds.

ReiGun

Never wrote fanfiction, I was off writing my own characters/worlds.

I'm not saying everyone did it, but certainly more than will admit. It's just another way people cut their teeth on writing. It's like art, really. Some start drawing their own stuff, but a lot start just trying to recreate their favorite characters. The problem only comes in if you never venture out to doing your own stuff (assuming you stick with writing at all).

I'm not saying everyone did it, but certainly more than will admit. It's just another way people cut their teeth on writing. It's like art, really. Some start drawing their own stuff, but a lot start just trying to recreate their favorite characters. The problem only comes in if you never venture out to doing your own stuff (assuming you stick with writing at all).

Word, I love writing and reading so for me every time we had our free writing time in school, I was always the first to volunteer to read my writing for the day.

I have 233 games on Steam I've beaten like 16 of them and played like 100 of them. I'm just going to start randomly installing and playing to cure my boredom.

Honestly, I loved it back in the day but haven't seen it in years. I'm not sure how I'd react to the series now.

Could be worse, it could be that one Fighting tournament Gundam series with the Shining Fingers or whatever.

Also, these Dulce de Leche Chips Ahoy cookies are fucking amazing.

Order

This just made me remember all the Sonic and Zelda comics I made....fuck.

Silky

Banned

No way. Kenshin was insane for me growing up. Everytime the show ended in Heart of Sword was amazing.

In that Toonami era for me as a kid it was always DBZ > YuYu > Rurouni Kenshin > Sailor Moon (I'm not the biggest fan but I'll fuck with it.)

Then they started showing Trigun....
YlVGJ.png
I love animes centered in western/space western atmospheres.

ReiGun

This just made me remember all the Sonic and Zelda comics I made....fuck.

I used to draw comics all the time. I had never read anything Marvel and DC, tho, so they were the three panel Peanuts style.

More than a few were just different color Power Rangers punching dudes, or me and family doing shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom