• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT7| Luigi took our stare

Status
Not open for further replies.

harSon

Banned
More people own a Wii U than get the El Rey network.
His little shitty indie movie on youtube.

I grow up when kids explored shit.

It's actually pretty awesome if your taste in films are in line with that of someone like Quentin Tarantino. It's basically nothing but 70s and 80s Kung Fu and exploitation films. I wouldn't recommend going out of your way to pay for it, but if it happens to be included within your cable package, then it's definitely worth checking out. I find myself recording 5-6 movies a week from the channel.

Slayven

Before I looked at the clip I assumed WMAC Masters.......

Damn I'm good.

Most of the live action cast of MK were stars of the show. That, Tattooed Teenage Alien Fighters from Beverly Hills, Superhuman Samurai SyberSquad(motherfuckin Ultraman) and BattleDome were always fun campy shit.

Actualyl Sybersquad was based on Gridman. But yeah it was Ultraman in all but name.
Super_Dragon_Combination_DinaDragon_and_Gridman.png

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Before I looked at the clip I assumed WMAC Masters.......

Damn I'm good.

Most of the live action cast of MK were stars of the show. That, Tattooed Teenage Alien Fighters from Beverly Hills, Superhuman Samurai SyberSquad(motherfuckin Ultraman) and BattleDome were always fun campy shit.

i only saw one episode of american ultraman. i told people about it and they looked at me like i was crazy

Watching Spike Lee's version of OldBoy. I remember it being in theaters for a hot minute and gone faster than Miami's title hopes.

About 35 minutes in.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I think it benefits alot from being alot of people's first exposure to Asian cinema.

Was it really?

The US version of Oldboy was completely unnecessary.

Also shit sucked.

It's about as necessary as the Departed

in that there's this really interesting movie that alot of people are talking about

but fuck watching anything with subtitles/non-white actors

royalan

So, how do you guys feel about Zandaya playing Aaliyah in the upcoming biopic? Here's a pic:

3QuBk53.png

There's been somewhat of a controversy since Lifetime announced who they chose for the role, all due to Zandaya being significantly lighter than Aaliyah.

On one hand, I hate when we have these "light-skinned vs. dark-skinned" color arguments. It often feels like unfairly denying light-skinned black people the right to claim their blackness, or implying they're just not "black enough."

But, on the other hand, part of me can't deny that part of Aaliyah's appeal was that she was a dark-skinned black girl with effortless amounts of swag, crossover appeal, and a beautiful singing voice that spoke of maturity beyond her years. She was a role model for all girls, but especially dark-skinned girls. Even though this was the 90s, when dark-skinned girls were popular (that wouldn't change until Beyonce's reign of terror).

I dunno...

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
It's actually pretty awesome if your taste in films are in line with that of someone like Quentin Tarantino. It's basically nothing but 70s and 80s Kung Fu and exploitation films. I wouldn't recommend going out of your way to pay for it, but if it happens to be included within your cable package, then it's definitely worth checking out. I find myself recording 5-6 movies a week from the channel.

sucks it's only on direct in my area. looks so awesome.

harSon

Banned
I think it benefits alot from being alot of people's first exposure to Asian cinema.

It's wonderfully shot and directed, but the screenplay is pedestrian and the acting fairly hammy at times. It's definitely not a bad film, but I merely found above average.

I'm not a fan of Chan Wook Park's films in general though. He's a wonderful director, but he can't write for shit. I still think J.S.A. is his best film by far at this point. If only we could pair him with a worthwhile screenwriter, I think he could truly create some classics. The cinematography and imagery in Stoker were off the fucking charts, but in Chan Wook Park fashion, the screenplay simply wasn't at the rest of the film's level. Although to his credit, Michael Scofield was the writer of that film.

harSon

Banned
I doubt Oldboy was many people's first asian film with stuff like My Sassy Girl being a thing.

One can argue that, but doesn't change my statement on the US version.

There were some interesting things in the US version, but it was definitely pretty bad. I don't think it was an unnecessary film. I personally don't mind remakes, especially if there's something legitimate to build upon. The Departed for example. As I said, I found the original to be pretty average, so I thought there was room for a remake that A) Wasn't over acted and hammy B) Had a well written and tight narrative/screenplay and C) Heavily incorporated the Manga, considering the Korean adaptation took a ton of liberties.

Unfortunately, what we got wasn't that.

royalan

The whole light skin/dark skin thing has always been weird as fuck to me.

And who the fuck is Zendaya and why is she famous?

She's a former Disney girl. She recently tried it with a pop career, but I'm pretty sure she flopped. Either way, as far I can tell she can dance...just not as good as Aaliyah. And she can sing...just not nearly (NEARLY) as good as Aaliyah.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
fire emblem awakening on hard is only hard in the beginning

its hard as fuck in the beginning. expect casualties of gettysburg proportions
Watching The Wolverine, what should I expect?

throw it in the bushes and go see days of future past (again) instead

harSon

Banned
Eh, it's a valid criticism. It's pretty clear that in an industry that's already stacked against black women, that Hollywood tends to disproportionately favor black women who are more representative of the white standard of beauty in what few roles there are for black women. Yeah, it definitely sucks for the actresses having their "blackness" questioned, but so does being a dark skinned actress that never gets roles due to not embodying normative beauty standards.

DY_nasty

So, how do you guys feel about Zandaya playing Aaliyah in the upcoming biopic? Here's a pic:

3QuBk53.png

There's been somewhat of a controversy since Lifetime announced who they chose for the role, all due to Zandaya being significantly lighter than Aaliyah.

On one hand, I hate when we have these "light-skinned vs. dark-skinned" color arguments. It often feels like unfairly denying light-skinned black people the right to claim their blackness, or implying they're just not "black enough."

But, on the other hand, part of me can't deny that part of Aaliyah's appeal was that she was a dark-skinned black girl with effortless amounts of swag, crossover appeal, and a beautiful singing voice that spoke of maturity beyond her years. She was a role model for all girls, but especially dark-skinned girls. Even though this was the 90s, when dark-skinned girls were popular (that wouldn't change until Beyonce's reign of terror).

I dunno...

I think, and this is unpopular, that Aaliyah is one of the most overrated pop artists ever. I loved her - and she invented crossover wig-snatching between how she did Mya, Brandy, and Mawnica in at once then went to compete with the Jessica Simpson's in their own turf but...

I don't know. I just can't be that mad about Zendaya getting the part in a lifetime movie of all things.

DY_nasty

Eh, it's a valid criticism. It's pretty clear that in an industry that's already stacked against black women, that Hollywood tends to disproportionately favor black women who are more representative of the white standard of beauty in what few roles there are for black women. Yeah, it definitely sucks for the actresses having their "blackness" questioned, but so does being a dark skinned actress that never gets roles due to not embodying normative beauty standards.

Basically - I can't get mad about Zendaya playing Aaliyah when you've got Zoe rolling in makeup to play someone she shouldn't have even auditioned for.

royalan

I think, and this is unpopular, that Aaliyah is one of the most overrated pop artists ever. I loved her - and she invented crossover wig-snatching between how she did Mya, Brandy, and Mawnica in at once then went to compete with the Jessica Simpson's in their own turf but...

I don't know. I just can't be that mad about Zendaya getting the part in a lifetime movie of all things.

I agree that there is a bit over overrated-ness to Aaliyah, but that's to be expected. She was a talented young girl who died tragically just as her career seemed to be going to the next level. People are going to remember her.

But, of the R&B girls of that time (Brandy, Monica, Mya) I definitely think she was the most talented. She had a small voice, but what set her apart (besides being a protege of Timbaland during the prime of his *Urban* career) was a real technical know-how and understanding of her vocal abilities. She sang with the ear of a Jazz singer, and I think that's what made some of her songs so memorable and impressive, even though she lacked flashiness of Brandy or the power of Monica.

Neither of the girl's I just mentioned, for example, could have sang this song as delicately as Aaliyah did.

And let me not get started on One In a Million and the fact that she was 16 when she recorded it. There are grown-ass-women in the game right now who couldn't pull off that level of swag vocal delivery.

KhFVBdU.gif

No wonder every rapper in the building wanted to wife her.

I'll go on record and say Brandy is a shit singer. Don't get me wrong she had a few songs in which she killed it vocally, but vast majority of times chick made garbage on wax aurally. Her writing was usually garbage, as was her singing. She always need someone to push her and teach her how to do shit. That overly airly crap she did on her debut album...I'll never understand how she blew up. Then she sounded straight scrub tier compared to her rival Monica. But like I said every once in a while Brandy would kill a song. If she sang more like that than her usual; she'd be remembered better. All I remember her for nowadays is the fact she killed someone.

There were some interesting things in the US version, but it was definitely pretty bad. I don't think it was an unnecessary film. I personally don't mind remakes, especially if there's something legitimate to build upon. The Departed for example. As I said, I found the original to be pretty average, so I thought there was room for a remake that A) Wasn't over acted and hammy B) Had a well written and tight narrative/screenplay and C) Heavily incorporated the Manga, considering the Korean adaptation took a ton of liberties.

Unfortunately, what we got wasn't that.

I watched the US version and honestly felt it wasn't needed based on what was presented not on the potential of the source. It was just bad all around, the only good thing about the US version is I guess for those who refuse to watch a movie with subtitles and/or a non white lead/main cast.

Jessica Simpson? She was never relevant. DY I'm disappoint

Agreed. Now A Bittersweet Life? That's the shit right there.

Basically - I can't get mad about Zendaya playing Aaliyah when you've got Zoe rolling in makeup to play someone she shouldn't have even auditioned for.

Only reason I even care about Zoe getting that role is that it furthers confuses the masses as to how she can identify as black but be Hispanic as if it's an either or. Cats really got hung up on the notion in OT that there are no such things as afro-hispanics.

At the same time, I'm not a big Zoe fan because she straight up stole Thandie Newton's lane. Shame because Thandie is actually a decent actress.

Angelus, you never saw NGE?

brehhhhh

Shit seemed overrated. It's either NGE or DBZ as everyone's first anime.

DY_nasty

naw breh. jessica simpson made mandy moore a family woman and guest star on scrubs i don't want to hear it
I agree that there is a bit over overrated-ness to Aaliyah, but that's to be expected. She was a talented young girl who died tragically just as her career seemed to be going to the next level. People are going to remember her.

But, of the R&B girls of that time (Brandy, Monica, Mya) I definitely think she was the most talented. She had a small voice, but what set her apart (besides being a protege of Timbaland during the prime of his *Urban* career) was a real technical know-how and understanding of her vocal abilities. She sang with the ear of a Jazz singer, and I think that's what made some of her songs so memorable and impressive,
even though she lacked flashiness of Brandy or the power of Monica.

Neither of the girl's I just mentioned, for example, could have sang this song as delicately as Aaliyah did.

And let me not get started on One In a Million and the fact that she was 16 when she recorded it. There are grown-ass-women in the game right now who couldn't pull off that level of swag vocal delivery.

KhFVBdU.gif

No wonder every rapper in the building wanted to wife her.
Definitely agreed with the bolded.

Her last album was the first pop album I ever got. Still gets play to this day.

I just... I don't know, even when I try I can't get mad at Zendaya's casting.
its overrated as fuck anyway.

Say what you want, its the Final Fantasy of the anime in that you need to see it to hate on it/love it properly and be able to cast necessary bias against/for other shows that were no doubt influenced by it in the future.

I can't be the guy to only recommend things that I deem great or make me feel good about. NGE is going to inspire a multitude of reactions out of people and its production values are pretty damned good. That alone would get it recommendation - but the fact that it's mere mention causes an immediate reaction by whoever's listening should be the primary reason why someone should see it for themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom