• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT7| Luigi took our stare

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slayven

I got mad respect for Alex H (creative director on Far Cry 4). Spoke to him on a level recently and the dude gets it. I like what i am seeing from that team.

I like the part where they did a quick and dirty mockup of the game map, than went to Nepal to do research and realized they had bilboards for LG phones and Angry Birds there and had to revise the map. Because they neglected to think about how much of the west has spread there.

Why can't gaming website articles be this good?

Dudes seem like they are doing it from the heart.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
With all of the "why are there still white / hetereonormative / cishet males in gaming" threads going around lately, I really hate the "write what you know" argument that comes up so much. I mean, it's statistically grounded, but "you play as a white human male because, get this, game developers are usually in the US and Europe, whose work forces are mostly made up of white males, it's not that hard to understand" feels really toxic to the discussion for me.
If you can't write about anyone who doesn't look like you, then you are a shitty writer.

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing
If you can't write about anyone who doesn't look like you, then you are a shitty writer.

There are exceptions of course, but I wouldn't trust most white writers to properly portray a black (or any non-white) character. Yes, i'm a bit of a cynic.

Da fuck.

You have a grand total of 1 post in this thread, and you use it to cast some shade.

How did he hurt you?

Don't feed the troll

Anita should be petitioning for more diverse writers instead of white writers/devs making games with white male leads. It's like reading history books that involved the 16-20th century in America. What would you expect if the point of view is coming from a white male.

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing
So as a black male in the gaming scene, I am fucked and I am fucked

I don't mean to be defeatist. I guess i just feel that any meaningful change is still a good few years away. That's a bit sobering.

That said, I take heart from devs i speak to who really want to diversity their creations without resorting to tokenism. I sometimes get people from other teams in the studio come up to me and ask about my experiences as a black guy. Even if nothing else comes of it, i value that thought, and its inclusion into the original scope.

What happens above Creative Directors, and orders that come from on high, isn't something i can control at present.

harSon

Banned

It's a legitimate point of discussion for a lot of mediums, but not video games IMO. With film, television, literature, etc. the medium is at a deep enough level where the fact that a person who: A) Is not X ethnicity and B) Has NEVER had any meaningful interaction with X ethnicity - will create characters of X characters that make those two tidbits completely obvious (ie. they tend to fall back on what little they do know, which almost always ends up being stereotypes). I wouldn't expect a black man who grew up on the South Side of Chicago to be able to write effectively about teenage suburban white girls in Connecticut for example. Having said that, that doesn't doesn't apply to everything. There are obviously a lot characters within these mediums that don't thoroughly embody an ethnicity and/or culture, and with these characters, you can basically do what amounts to a palette swap without disruption. I think that is the case for 98% of video games. The medium simply isn't deep enough narratively or thematically. Like the typical Summer Blockbuster, you could swap out the protagonist's ethnicity for X, Y and Z in 98% of games and the integrity of every element of the game will remain 100% in tact.

Ivan 3414

League of passive aggressive lurkers. They just sit there lurking, being mad we are enjoying being black and laughing at people with less than 5 inch penises.

I hope you're not implying that anyone who doesn't post in this topic must not be black

I don't agree with that. All that means is that the writer has a limited scope. The shitty writing occurs when the writer tries to write outside that scope.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
I hope you're not implying that anyone who doesn't post in this topic must not be black
How did you get this from what he said? Maybe if you lurked a little more before driving by and dropping shade on people who are no longer around to defend themselves, you'd find out more about the people in this thread and you'd have some context for where people are coming from rather than repeatedly stepping on your dick.

You probably don't like chicken or grits....

Anime folk. What's the word on this joint called strike the blood? My stepson is co-signing but I want another opinion before I add it to the crunchy roll queue.

Kreed

I hope you're not implying that anyone who doesn't post in this topic must not be black.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=102585131&postcount=186

It's a joke related to another poster who came into this topic for the sole purpose of letting us know that FreeMufasa was banned after posting a string of posts from his post history in the Black Culture Thread.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=102592022#post102592022

We welcome anyone who wants to participate and bring something positive to the thread, but if all you want to do is let us know when an actual participant of the thread has been banned, save us all some time and just keep lurking.

Chill out buddy, it's not the big of a deal buddy. Stop getting so uppity buddy.

Anime folk. What's the word on this joint called strike the blood? My stepson is co-signing but I want another opinion before I add it to the crunchy roll queue.

It's alright so far. People have been comparing it to Kyoukai no Kanata for some reason, not sure why.

Slayven

Lots of people would hire gamers that write, not writers that game
Thats the problem

I don't agree with that. All that means is that the writer has a limited scope. The shitty writing occurs when the writer tries to write outside that scope.
Old joke
when you have an industry with a long line of people willing to work for less than they're worth, why would you hire someone that costs more?
And you would think occasionally they would be good, law of averages and all.

I lurk but these threads are generally amazing

(I'm black too)
We don't pull cards that don't need pulling.

It's a joke related to another poster who came into this topic for the sole purpose of letting us know that FreeMufasa was banned after posting a string of posts from his post history in the Black Culture Thread.

We welcome anyone who wants to participate and bring something positive to the thread, but if all you want to do is let us know when an actual participant of the thread has been banned, save us all some time and just keep lurking.
See Kreed, I like you. If I saw you getting jumped I would call the police AND stay to answer questions.

RP912

Banned
Last anime I checked out was Samurai Champloo. I want to get back into the funk but man its too many animes nowadays to check out.

BHZ Mayor

The fuck happened to this thread last night? Lurkers getting called out, Mufusa apparently account suiciding, serious shit seemingly going on with Rio.

What the fuck, fam?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Last anime I checked out was Samurai Champloo. I want to get back into the funk but man its too many animes nowadays to check out.

I just tapped out wholesale around 2005. As much as I'd like to watch one, I just can't decide on trying anything.

Guess I'll just watch Berserk again.

where do people like that come from? LMAO

One of those tiny daily victories is seeing that motorcycle cop peeking out from some bushes a quarter mile away waiting for someone to speed pass him. The person in front of me was not as observant.

Rio, stay strong. Don't make any rash decisions.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I been wanting to watch full metal alchemist for a while but that dedication.

I can't do that. It's nice all that shit is available everywhere, but I can never decide on something.

RedSwirl

And look at the quality of most games writing.

I'll go ahead and admit right now I'd probably have trouble writing fiction about people who don't look like me, but that's why I'm not a fiction writer.

Why don't game companies hire writers? It can't be that expensive.

They do. They just haven't figured out the right balance of control between the writers and game designers. Most of the time the writer has about as much affect on the game as the music composer -- creating most of the story after the levels and probably even characters have already been designed.

A lot of the best narrative in gaming has come from individuals who happen to be both descent writers and game designers -- people who are few and far between.

The fuck happened to this thread last night? Lurkers getting called out, Mufusa apparently account suiciding, serious shit seemingly going on with Rio.

What the fuck, fam?

and the worst news of all... my vacation is over.

no more of these :(

RL8qxMa.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom