• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT7| Luigi took our stare

Status
Not open for further replies.

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
The trick is to not be afraid to explore with your natural hair and the shapes it can make, which is something black people are usually told NOT to do.

Like, my mom saw my hair right now, she'd have a fit.

Like, dude in the pic I posted looks like he probably combed out some old twists, and instead of washing it out, sprayed some sheen on it and hit the road.

I tried to go natural, but my hair started to break off pretty bad. Plus my shit is crazy nappy... I'm talking make the comb cry and fights me like a demon lol

I get relaxers but I still pull off the look by using curlers cuz even relaxers can't tame the evil in my hair. (I could post pics later, I'm not home atm)

Another really easy technique is to divide hair into 4 sections and braid. Take them out the next day and its got that kinky look and easy to comb.

I think I'll try natural again in the future but as a girl who's terrible at hair management, I'm good for now.

DominoKid

i'll have to experiment w/ some of these styles when my hair gets a little longer. i'm always looking for something that works and i'm already sick of fades.

You just gotta do it. This is my look for the Summer:

bQZ168w.png

All I need now is some Filas and I'm set.

So thats what happened to Special Ed.

royalan

Don't hate. lol

I tried to go natural, but my hair started to break off pretty bad. Plus my shit is crazy nappy... I'm talking make the comb cry and fights me like a demon lol

I get relaxers but I still pull off the look by using curlers cuz even relaxers can't tame the evil in my hair. (I could post pics later, I'm not home atm)

Another really easy technique is to divide hair into 4 sections and braid. Take them out the next day and its got that kinky look and easy to comb.

I think I'll try natural again in the future but as a girl who's terrible at hair management, I'm good for now.

Ever consider The Big Chop? ;)

Anyway, a better shot of dude's hair from earlier.

6r3sV6f.jpg

IrishNinja

passed on oatmeal for a bowl of cheerios, now im wishing i made eggs & shit

"I don't care what anyone say, Dr.Wiley is smarter than Eggman. He created robots with hopes, dreams, and desires. All Eggman do was create robot wasp."

-Shower thoughts by Beef

i wonder how he writes em down so he can tweet em later tho

aww shit

mrtnhustle4.jpg

"hey breh I got this ipad 4 ready mang"

why my local hussle man gotta come see me when Im broke as shit :(

one of the things i miss now that i live in a decent-ish neighborhood was these opportunities

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy

Been thinking about getting mine relaxed for a min. Some of my female friends have crosshairs on me, just in case I do though. lol. I barely manage my hair well as it is and throwing exercise onto it cuts down on time. I'd rather keep my hair long then cut it again (at least for a long while) though, so that's all on me.

I might try some of the stuff Royalan posted though. >.>

lol @ that pic XiaNaphryz posted

Gorillaz

I wish I could get my hair into a style like yall mentioned above. I just lose patience dealing with it normally since it switches up between curly and straight. I gave up on the wave game since my hair has a mind of its own

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
Ever consider The Big Chop? ;)

Yep. That's gonna be my move for the next time I attempt it. But I like keeping it curly as of now. Doing style changes does well for me if I stay consistent for long periods of time. I think next year I'm gonna do the chop. I've got no qualms wearing my hair like Lupita :3

Been thinking about getting mine relaxed for a min. Some of my female friends have crosshairs on me, just in case I do though. lol. I barely manage my hair well as it is and throwing exercise onto it cuts down on time. I'd rather keep my hair long then cut it again (at least for a long while) though, so that's all on me.

I might try some of the stuff Royalan posted though. >.>

lol @ that pic XiaNaphryz posted

I know that dilemma!

Most of my friends are natural. They really want me to join but I like my hair as it is right now. Eventually they stopped nagging me about it and we just share tips on maintenance lol (and none of us see it through ~ lazy)

I think as long as we're happy with our hair, that's what matters most.

That moment when your Job uses you as a scapegoat when some money goes missing because you're new >_> or is it because I'm black? Idk, seems like it would make a good thread where people would claim I actually stole the money but I'm too lazy.

Started off like any other day. Except shit was bright, birds were singing and the air smelled fresh. I was riding the high of riding a past a female the previous night and pulling both her attention and her admiration. The conversation was fruitful. Nothing like a woman who says that im gonna go through withdrawals being newly single and then suggesting that she cure for that. So knowing that I still got it I pushed ever forward. After working an amazingly simple job, being fed a meal and getting props for jobs well done and staying on top of things. I impressed a client. My company is happy and everything is straight. But I am not done with the hype train yet. Right now I expect to get knocked down a peg.
The place I lived and the community that I was apart of has barred me from ever gracing its hallowed streets. I am disappointed and hurt. But unfazed.
I continued my search for completion, including searching for a new place to lie my head. The first place [REDACTED] give me some bullshit and told me how much they were gonna charge. I was told an no uncertain terms that I "couldnt afford it and didnt deserve it". I am undaunted.
But I had an epiphany. I knew a place that was much farther but could possible fill my needs. When I arrived at [REDACTED] I was greeted with open arms. Without giving much away, because I KNOW SOMEONE IS READING THIS TO USE AGAINST ME, lets just say I am no longer homeless. Its funny what a uniform can do for ones first impression and esteem. Even funnier what a man with nothing can accomplish in 2 days.
Again I must bid you to be continued.....

J10

Banned
That moment when your Job uses you as a scapegoat when some money goes missing because you're new >_> or is it because I'm black? Idk, seems like it would make a good thread where people would claim I actually stole the money but I'm too lazy.
So did you take the money?

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
I was gonna cut now I'm thinking of buying a nudred kit.
mad they not on amazon though.
Will chime back in with results later if I purchase.

Jado

Banned

Make the thread please, and don't leave out that you think your blackness played a role. That's important, no matter how many dumb Gaffers try to trivialize those details of our lives. Our racial insecurities don't just spring up out of nowhere one day. Average white person goes through life happy and obliviously color blind; you and I feel compelled to buy something if we linger too long in a store or else feel we might draw suspicions of theft if walking out empty handed.

BHZ Mayor

Make the thread please, and don't leave out that you think your blackness played a role. That's important, no matter how many dumb Gaffers try to trivialize those details of our lives. Our racial insecurities don't just spring up out of nowhere one day. Average white person goes through life happy and obliviously color blind; you and I feel compelled to buy something if we linger too long in a store or else feel we might draw suspicions of theft if walking out empty handed.

Yo. So this isn't just me, huh?

DominoKid

i've been there. it's because you're black.

royalan

The metal detector went off as I was leaving a Banana Republic yesterday. Security guard practically runs over to me. White people staring, had to empty out my entire messenger bad. Sad thing is I had two bags of stuff I'd just paid for.

The bad part wasn't the metal detector going off, and it wasn't even the guard going through my stuff, or that I had two large bags full of purchased items and my receipts (My messenger bag is tiny, really just big enough to carry my laptop and a large book. So what? I'm going to spend several hundred dollars here and then steal some socks or some shit?). The worst part wasn't even the old white people leaving the store at the time this happened and the looks they were giving me, like "there goes another one..."

No, the worst part was the shit going on in my head afterward. The, yeah, they were giving me that look. Like I'm just another one of those young niggas going into retail stores in Rittenhouse Square trying to palm shit, nevermind I just spent all this damn money. Or shit, maybe I'm just imagining that they''re looking at me that way as an outlet for my own embarrassment. Not every white person thinks every young black male is a potential thief. What the fuck is wrong with me that my mind would even go there? But that one guy sure was staring for more than a few seconds...and why did that guard empty out my entire bag? He should have known there was no possible way I was stealing shit in it when he saw my laptop crammed in it. I know he's just doing his job but, would he have made me go through all this if I was some lily white girl? And why do I care about any of this? I shouldn't give a shit about any of this...

Ended up being the metal buckle of my bag

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
No, the worst part was the shit going on in my head afterward. The, yeah, they were giving me that look. Like I'm just another one of those young niggas going into retail stores in Rittenhouse Square trying to palm shit, nevermind I just spent all this damn money. Or shit, maybe I'm just imagining that they''re looking at me that way as an outlet for my own embarrassment. Not every white person thinks every young black male is a potential thief. What the fuck is wrong with me that my mind would even go there? But that one guy sure was staring for more than a few seconds...and why did that guard empty out my entire bag? He should have known there was no possible way I was stealing shit in it when he saw my laptop crammed in it. I know he's just doing his job but, would he have made me go through all this if I was some lily white girl? And why do I care about any of this? I shouldn't give a shit about any of this...

shoot, hitting way too close to home with that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom