• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT7| Luigi took our stare

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedSwirl

The metal detector went off as I was leaving a Banana Republic yesterday. Security guard practically runs over to me. White people staring, had to empty out my entire messenger bad. Sad thing is I had two bags of stuff I'd just paid for.

The bad part wasn't the metal detector going off, and it wasn't even the guard going through my stuff, or that I had two large bags full of purchased items and my receipts (My messenger bag is tiny, really just big enough to carry my laptop and a large book. So what? I'm going to spend several hundred dollars here and then steal some socks or some shit?). The worst part wasn't even the old white people leaving the store at the time this happened and the looks they were giving me, like "there goes another one..."

No, the worst part was the shit going on in my head afterward. The, yeah, they were giving me that look. Like I'm just another one of those young niggas going into retail stores in Rittenhouse Square trying to palm shit, nevermind I just spent all this damn money. Or shit, maybe I'm just imagining that they''re looking at me that way as an outlet for my own embarrassment. Not every white person thinks every young black male is a potential thief. What the fuck is wrong with me that my mind would even go there? But that one guy sure was staring for more than a few seconds...and why did that guard empty out my entire bag? He should have known there was no possible way I was stealing shit in it when he saw my laptop crammed in it. I know he's just doing his job but, would he have made me go through all this if I was some lily white girl? And why do I care about any of this? I shouldn't give a shit about any of this...

Ended up being the metal buckle of my bag

Bruh. Ask for a bag from the store. Always.

I can't say that I've ever had an issue with that.

Some time ago, I bought the books that I needed for that semester at my university's bookstore, but they didn't take out the magnetic strip from one of the books. So every time that I left the bookstore from that point on, the alarm would go off. I started thinking that this wasn't a coincidence after the first few times, and ended up finding the strip in my book and throwing it away. No one ever bothered me about it or anything.

To be fair, though, I don't think that the employees are supposed to do anything about stolen stuff except to let someone else know. If a security guard happens to be around for some reason, then they'd handle it. Or something. Not 100% sure on the policy.

KumaJG

Another question for developers here, what are the realities of the gaming industry that people do not know or choose to ignore?

Another question for developers here, what are the realities of the gaming industry that people do not know or choose to ignore?

-Money, time, and manpower are not unlimited
-People will shit on you even if you make an objectively superior game
-Connections are often more important than skill
-Most people in executive positions are marketing or finance guys who don't really care about making good games, just profitable ones

Still a fun place to work, tho

And damn, just catching up-Keep your head up brother RIo

RTJVWte.png
Isn't he my blackjack dealer?

Lespedeza

Banned
The metal detector went off as I was leaving a Banana Republic yesterday. Security guard practically runs over to me. White people staring, had to empty out my entire messenger bad. Sad thing is I had two bags of stuff I'd just paid for.

The bad part wasn't the metal detector going off, and it wasn't even the guard going through my stuff, or that I had two large bags full of purchased items and my receipts (My messenger bag is tiny, really just big enough to carry my laptop and a large book. So what? I'm going to spend several hundred dollars here and then steal some socks or some shit?). The worst part wasn't even the old white people leaving the store at the time this happened and the looks they were giving me, like "there goes another one..."

No, the worst part was the shit going on in my head afterward. The, yeah, they were giving me that look. Like I'm just another one of those young niggas going into retail stores in Rittenhouse Square trying to palm shit, nevermind I just spent all this damn money. Or shit, maybe I'm just imagining that they''re looking at me that way as an outlet for my own embarrassment. Not every white person thinks every young black male is a potential thief. What the fuck is wrong with me that my mind would even go there? But that one guy sure was staring for more than a few seconds...and why did that guard empty out my entire bag? He should have known there was no possible way I was stealing shit in it when he saw my laptop crammed in it. I know he's just doing his job but, would he have made me go through all this if I was some lily white girl? And why do I care about any of this? I shouldn't give a shit about any of this...

This really hits close to home, sorry that happen to you. :(

ReiGun

If you'd have told me before i started this retail gig that old black women would be the most annoying customers, i wouldn't have believed you. We is our own worst enemy.

Anyway, how y'all living? Thread was looking kinda crazy for a minute. And to Rio, keep your head up, man.

If you'd have told me before i started this retail gig that old black women would be the most annoying customers, i wouldn't have believed you. We is our own worst enemy.

Anyway, how y'all living? Thread was looking kinda crazy for a minute. And to Rio, keep your head up, man.

65% of old people in general are the worst customers. They got time and built-in respect/sympathy in the public eye.

Jado

Banned
Jado wants more prey.

I'm not doing that again (maybe), but I think it's good to regularly have these honest discussions and see where people stand. No one is being set up if a person repeatedly outs himself to be an idiot with racist tendencies.

Royalan's story is sad. Worst I had at the door beeping was showing my receipt and letting guy quickly look in my shopping bag -- around here they know it's usually human/machine error.

But while shopping, my girl and I got shadowed at Sephora once, which I've since learned is shitty and known for treating its minority customers like shoplifters on the verge of stealing once more. Happened to her again at a Sephora in Boston, but I was away all day at a conference. Swore if it ever happened again I would throw a fit, call out the floor rep and complain to management.

Also wrote a very negative online review of a big comic book shop in NY that racially profiled me years ago, manager point blank accusing me of stealing. Worst part was that he was black, so he pretty much drank the kool-aid that minorities are prone to wrongdoing and gotta keep an eye out for them. Funny thing: biggest and really only thief I ever saw there was a white kid with artificial legs who would hustle and rob others out of their rare trading cards any second they didn't pay attention, back when they had the 2nd floor set up for playing TCGs. Pretty sure he stole from the store itself.

Spinluck

I can't get into shows like Arrow or Smallville. The upcoming Flash and Gotham show don't really interest me. It all comes off as looking really cheap to me, and most of the actors are poop. Lots of hot chicks on that Arrow show though.

I just feel like we are already getting enough superhero movies and stuff. If I got to choose, I'd opt for more animation. Stuff like Justice League Unlimited far exceeds these shows.

I can't get into shows like Arrow or Smallville. The upcoming Flash and Gotham show don't really interest me. It all comes off as looking really cheap to me, and most of the actors are poop. Lots of hot chicks on that Arrow show though.

I just feel like we are already getting enough superhero movies and stuff. If I got to choose, I'd opt for more animation. Stuff like Justice League Unlimited far exceeds these shows.

and they're only 20 minutes long too. i watch arrow because i already waste my life on so much other media might as well throw another hour away. it's fun, not so great acting though.

hypernima

Banned

I was trying to convince a friend that Racism is a construct that only POC experience, and what white people experience is more leaning on prejudice, they brushed off heavily my similar experiences and fears regarding what you just wrote.

Even when I told them that when I was 12 this old white couple locked me and my 15 yr old brother in the store because they thought we stole. It was one of the most scariest experiences of my life, and if my brother wasn't their I probably would have seriously thought I done something. I'm really sorry you had to even have these thoughts resurge.

lol which retail store? i work at Target canada

Spinluck

and they're only 20 minutes long too. i watch arrow because i already waste my life on so much other media might as well throw another hour away. it's fun, not so great acting though.

My friends are really into, I'm still thinking about giving it another shot. I can't seem to make it past the first season.

Infinite

lol watch them try and use expired coupons

I responded but didn't give an in depth explanation as you would like due to being on iPhone. My bad.

It's not a big deal. I'm not expecting it to be a huge thread because, honestly, it's a pretty particular topic and there aren't going to be a ton of reasonably justified answers out there for it. I was hoping it'd be more than people just posting white characters they like, but, well...

Crunch and tone deaf marketing people.

Are the marketing people in charge of trailer/commercial song choices? If so, get the guy who suggested Woodkid for that AC: Revelations trailer involved. Iron became a permanent member on my playlist due to that trailer.

I have a strong feeling that an edited version of that Imagine Dragons song is on a list somewhere for AC:Unity.

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing
Are the marketing people in charge of trailer/commercial song choices? If so, get the guy who suggested Woodkid for that AC: Revelations trailer involved. Iron became a permanent member on my playlist due to that trailer.

I have a strong feeling that an edited version of that Imagine Dragons song is on a list somewhere for AC:Unity.

In our case, we have marketing split across Operational, Digital, Production and retail teams. Prod and operational usually handle the trailer assets. They are ace, and usually nail the song choices in those instances.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Edge of Tomorrow is fucking dope.

When they had Rita looking like Artorias hitting those mimics with those spinning Helm Breakers.
yi73UWf.png

I'm so fucking happy with how they handled her character. They could have easily sidelined her, but she never felt like a tag-a-long. She might be one of my favorite action characters now. How the fuck Emily Blunt isn't in one of these super hero movies is beyond me.

Cruise seemed like he was having a lot of fun in this. Kinda shocked they didn't have a 5-10 minute scene of him doing 3.5k or some shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom