• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT7| Luigi took our stare

Status
Not open for further replies.
-Money, time, and manpower are not unlimited
-People will shit on you even if you make an objectively superior game
-Connections are often more important than skill
-Most people in executive positions are marketing or finance guys who don't really care about making good games, just profitable ones

Still a fun place to work, tho

And damn, just catching up-Keep your head up brother RIo

I'll throw in that you should never stop playing games if you do join. Knowing what players like is a perishable skill.

Is it officially a black show yet (the West family)? Or will it be more on Sleepy Hollow status, just white enough?

Also, the Williams girl c-walks and people freak out. Wie twerks, and?

There are only two black characters, and one basically exists to make you feel for the main character. She's nothing more than his best friend and pedestal pussy and/or 'stupid bitch' depending on how the audience feels about women/black women/this character at any given point.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Edge of Tomorrow is fucking dope.

When they had Rita looking like Artorias hitting those mimics with those spinning Helm Breakers.
yi73UWf.png

I'm so fucking happy with how they handled her character. They could have easily sidelined her, but she never felt like a tag-a-long. She might be one of my favorite action characters now. How the fuck Emily Blunt isn't in one of these super hero movies is beyond me.

Cruise seemed like he was having a lot of fun in this. Kinda shocked they didn't have a 5-10 minute scene of him doing 3.5k or some shit.

she is awesome
Yup, saw Edge of Tomorrow last night, good shit.

I wish it was doing better.

Emily Blunt thoooooo. Waifu material.

I thought her and Cruise did a good job. Movie was a treat for, did not expect that at all.

i'll fucking cut you if you say her name again i swear on me mum

Kreed

While the report paints a bleak picture for African-American college student job seekers who are competing with poorly educated whites, it also offers some encouraging news for black students who stay in school and get their diplomas: As both blacks and whites earn higher degrees, the difference in unemployment rates among the races narrows. Among black and white men who have earned bachelor’s degrees, the unemployment gap is only 5%. For black women who have bachelor’s degrees, the gap with whites is just 3%. For blacks and whites who earn professional degrees, the gap almost disappears.

Another way of looking at it: Among blacks who earn professional degrees, the impact on their chances of finding a job is nearly one-and-a-half times greater than it is for whites who earn the same degrees. In addition, African-Americans who have bachelor’s degrees earn $10,000 more a year than those who don’t have a bachelor’s, compared to white men, who earn just $6,100 more than they would if they didn’t have a bachelor’s. The value of a graduate degree is even greater for African-American men. Those who have advanced degrees make $21,000 more per year than grads with bachelor’s degrees while white men with advanced degrees make just $15,100 more, according to BLS and Census data and analysis by a group at the College Board.

They could have left that second paragraph out.

RedSwirl

The "write what you know" argument is hellah flawed to begin with.

Its not hard to write a normal person and make them a minority. Half of these games don't even touch on minority problems to begin with, vying instead to grace around issues. That's even more fuel. If you know nothing about minority struggles, you don't have to tackle it.

That's where I can understand writing what you know. If you don't know about the struggle, that's understandable since some haven't been exposed to it. But saying you don't know about minorities or women so you can't write about them strikes me... as suspicious lol

Part of it is marketing and part of it I think is just developers not thinking about it. I really believe a lot of them don't think about a game's characters at all until they hire somebody to write a story to fit the levels they've designed. And when you don't think about it, you usually end up with the "default." Just go look at how many character design docs start out with a faceless character with various clothes and guns all over them. Many game developers barely design characters at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom