• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT7| Luigi took our stare

Status
Not open for further replies.
100% agreed. That's why I'm laughing at it, dude's on some Afrocentric shit haha. There's been a couple of them lately...
enhanced-buzz-2038-1373414176-0.jpg

This is one of my main annoyances with black characters in film/television shows. They always have to go through "minority" issues. Some form of discrimination or a look back into black history, etc... that other minorities/white characters in these film don't deal with. This is fine in historical stories/time period pieces, but this doesn't need to be in fictional stories. If I create a fantasy world where characters are shooting fire balls or living in some made up city, why the hell would I reference the slave trade or how hard it was for my character growing up on the mean streets of Brooklyn?

For example, the movie "The Man With The Iron Fist" with the RZA. This movie is set in a fictional city in 19th century China, but there are all sorts of non Asian characters in the film and crazy/fantasy things are happening. But it's only with the RZA's character that we are given an "explanation" on why he is there and how he got so skilled (being a slave and escaping his slave masters to China where he is taught how to fight by monks). Whereas Russel Crow and Batista's characters had no backstory like this. They were just thrown into the movie and you just knew "hey white guys that kick ass, ok fine" and that was it.

you just aint done the knowledge god

Silky

Banned
I feel The Man w/ The Iron Fists is like a small piece to what RZA really wants to do with a film. I'd like to see him take a crack at an Iron Fists sequel

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
He just needs to have someone else write, and to not star in the film.

Pretty much

Could have been a decent love letter to the Shaw Brother's era of Martial Arts movies. All the pieces were there.

ended up coming across as a poorly written almost masturbatory vanity project tho

That said the soundtrack was fun!

Yo a friend of mine brought up something. He said he notice during the group stages of the World Cup that it was rare to see a supporting crowd that was mostly black even when the majority of the team was mostly black . The exception was Ghana. I noticed something similar with the darker Hispanic teams.

Anyone else notice that?

It's all about who can afford tickets and travel.

skinnyrattler said:
Did Bay coon it up again?

When doesn't he?

royalan

That's ridiculous.
I'll post this again because you seemed to have missed it.

These black people didn't paint themselves white. Do you know who they are dressed as and would they be easier to identify if they had?
Composite-Superman-Batman.jpeg

tumblr_mo7ffotNoj1rztdgoo1_1280.jpg

You are essentially saying being black is a black persons most defining characteristic.

Yet it's completely correct.

...I need names.

Order

Why do people wait so long for their accounts to be approved just to risk it by saying the dumbest things in race threads?

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Why do people wait so long for their accounts to be approved just to risk it by saying the dumbest things in race threads?

They're used to places where they can say that shit and face no consequences.

My first ban on here was due to using the word "gay" as a negative descriptor for something, since I was used to online communities where everyone used it like that.(Still pretty ashamed of this, but I've cleaned up my act and washed my hands of those communities don't worry) Just lucky that I had already become a regular user by that time

It doesn't justify it at all, but I think Gaf's mods are way more active in enforcing their rules than other places on the internet. Especially Reddit and 4chan which are probably the two communities that Gaf shares the largest amount of users with.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Explaining why "Reverse Racism" isn't a thing is the most frustrating aspect of race threads hands down

I wonder how many black relationship stereotypes are in Think Like A Man Too.

Might make a bingo card.

Don't even bother with a Free Space. Just make the center box "Kevin Hart gets beat up by black women"

J10

Banned
It doesn't justify it at all, but I think Gaf's mods are way more active in enforcing their rules than other places on the internet. Especially Reddit and 4chan which are probably the two communities that Gaf shares the largest amount of users with.

Eh, the mods ain't that great on this particular subject. DY pointed it out earlier - it's pretty telling that it's always the same 2-3 mods in race threads cleaning shit up; might indicate that the rest are lax enough on the subject to let it fester 10-20 pages longer than it should.

Meanwhile trivial shit like port begging gets Hawkeyed on the Gaming side. They even put it in the thread title sometimes. Just once I'd like to see someone parenthesize "Racism = ban" in a thread title.

Iron Fists needed some oversight from somebody. Somebody that would say shit like, " No RZA, that is being gory for no damn reason... its not appealing".

"No RZA, shut the fuck up. No need for long winded exposition here."

Shit the RZA says and does as an actor in a role make me think automatically every time that there is no way this cat got to this position/level by himself.

RP912

Banned
Eh, the mods ain't that great on this particular subject. DY pointed it out earlier - it's pretty telling that it's always the same 2-3 mods in race threads cleaning shit up; might indicate that the rest are lax enough on the subject to let it fester 10-20 pages longer than it should.

Meanwhile trivial shit like port begging gets Hawkeyed on the Gaming side. They even put it in the thread title sometimes. Just once I'd like to see someone parenthesize "Racism = ban" in a thread title.

That shit scared the hell out of me a few months back posting over that side. The sudden urge of wanting a certain game for the vita.

I avoid race threads to maintain my health because some of the post on there :(....holy shit.

while we're talking Wu Tang

I'm finally giving that 2 disc Killah Priest album that dropped last year a proper listen

2/3 through the first disc and
i6P2EGLjoNGyQ.png

Silky

Banned
Shenmue is a great series and I do not want a sequel just because a bunch of nostalgia driven man-babies want it.

Yu Suzuki however needs to get something going with Virtua Fighter 6

People who think Shenmue is better than Yakuza make me laugh. Which part, the gameplay, the voice acting, or the vanilla revenge story? And I like both.

Yakuza took the crown a long time ago but I still wanna see Shenmue finished

mainly because I believe it ended on a cliffhanger? Haven't played it in years......don't even have my original Xbox anymore honestly

Crocodile

Ironically, I specifically avoided that thread because the title set off my "No good can come of this" alarm and now its the hot topic here :p Not that it shouldn't be or that it doesn't make complete sense to be, I just thought it kind of funny.

I rarely wander into such threads (or at least stick to lurking over participating) mostly for the sake of my sanity - some of the dumbest race related stuff I've ever heard has been on GAF, a place I used to think was "above" such nonsense (admittedly I feel I can be a bit too naive about somethings for my own good :/). Like should I be going in there to "fight the fight"? I feel a bit guilty that I don't but even the snippets posted in here have me a bit exasperated :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom