• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT7| Luigi took our stare

Status
Not open for further replies.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
I mean, I'll still argue - because you never know if you'll actually make some headway with someone or altering the opinion of someone who's actually not posting. But getting in feelings over racist gaf...
How often do people change their opinions on things like this?

KumaJG

Brother Kuma, let me talk to you about Hyperdimension Neptunia......

I'll pass lol, game looks horrid. Right now I am playing PS1 rpgs I missed like Grandia, Vangrant Story, Legend of Dragoon and Arc the Lad. Later I am going to emulate Rogue Galaxy and other ps2 games I can't get on the store.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
How often do people change their opinions on things like this?

Happens enough that its worth it from time to time.

Gaborn, shidoshi, and dream almost completely turned around my views regarding anything and everything transgender about two years ago. I used to be a hardline liberal democrat. Anti-Monitor singlehandedly got my head out of my ass when it came to dating. Bish restored my faith in black Canadians. Just talking about myself...

and there are people who do change their minds on things. Expecting it to happen in one conversation over the internet is complete lunacy though. It won't happen like that. So there's no 'rush' to 'catch' someone and 'expose' them when it comes to stuff like this. It doesn't even matter if its the person you're debating with or not. I've got more PMs from people who didn't even quote me in those types of threads than from anyone else.

But you'll never see someone post "holy fuck, this has completely changed my mind and the past 2 decades of views I've had are utterly wrong. THANK YOU" it doesn't work like that. People somehow expect that though. And its part of the reason why they get pissed off in those threads.

Trey

Posts by stump, devo, mumei, Lime, faceless, Fiction and others have proved very illuminating on some topics I was sorely naive or flat out wrong about, particularly female/gender issues.

But a person has to want to be open minded, and that's not easy at all. Dy is right, it will take much more effective and consistent messaging to curtail the fuckery that surrounds these discussions.

It has some pretty good humor. If you liked the .hack games you will like this series.

never played those. I don't do MMO's, so a console game emulating an MMO just didn't appeal to me.

I'll just keep it in the pile of games I'm saving for retirement. I'm going to buy a yacht, fill it with games I've bought over a few decades, and no one will ever see me again

Slayven

never played those. I don't do MMO's, so a console game emulating an MMO just didn't appeal to me.

I'll just keep it in the pile of games I'm saving for retirement. I'm going to buy a yacht, fill it with games I've bought over a few decades, and no one will ever see me again

Don't forget this

821991-197653_50319_front.jpg

Slayven

oh man. that was back when iron man was still in marvel's scrub tier. the license for those two characters combined couldn't have been more than 19.95.

Yeah that was one of those license games that taught you just because you can play as a character doesn't mean it will be good.

Racist gaf is on the rise. See you guys I got to go with the heat!

I've dressed in black face

Is this time to say that black people (probably) ate white people once?

We are all one on this planet but that thing only applies to where you live

Yo a friend of mine brought up something. He said he notice during the group stages of the World Cup that it was rare to see a supporting crowd that was mostly black even when the majority of the team was mostly black . The exception was Ghana. I noticed something similar with the darker Hispanic teams.

Anyone else notice that?

DY_nasty

DCU is a quality superhero game, friend.
Yo a friend of mine brought up something. He said he notice during the group stages of the World Cup that it was rare to see a supporting crowd that was mostly black even when the majority of the team was mostly black . The exception was Ghana. I noticed something similar with the darker Hispanic teams.

Anyone else notice that?

I don't think that's weird at all. Plenty of reasons why it may look that way,

harSon

Banned
It's funny but there is some historically wrong shit being said. The Arab and Berber were the Moors that took it over. They looked more like the Moroccan People of today. The Moors were not any one ethnic group though. Sub-Saharan's were a small number of them; mostly soldiers and slaves. Many Blacks did raise through the ranks to hold power or they controlled the areas that Moors took over and were allowed to keep their status. So his first point is wrong. It went Arab and Berbers then Blacks.

Fun fact: tall dark and handsome comes from Spain because before the Moors everyone had light hair. After mixing with the Moors the Spanish were taller, had tanned skin, and darker hair. When Spain came into power and the Latin lover thing caught on it became a way for authors to describe the Spanish. So yeah thank you Moors for giving me the genetics that big boob white blondes can't deny. Olive skin and amazing dark hair.

What do you expect? Kim is an Armenian and famous.

100% agreed. That's why I'm laughing at it, dude's on some Afrocentric shit haha. There's been a couple of them lately...

DCU is a quality superhero game, friend.

I don't think that's weird at all. Plenty of reasons why it may look that way,

I don't think it is weird. I was just wondering if anyone else noticed it. I bet it has to do with wealth inequality. Since Soccer is the cheapest sport to play since all you need to start out with is a ball.

harSon

Banned
I don't think I will ever get people that white-wash/black-wash history.

Yup... and I dig history and all, and I'm down for knowing where you come from, but I don't get people who base their self worth on their ethnicity's accomplishments. Who gives a shit. It's always people who ain't shit in real life too. Yeah, your people had glorious empires, but you're working a dead end job and sharing walls with mom and dad. Congrats.

Yup... and I dig history and all, and I'm down for knowing where you come from, but I don't get people who base their self worth on their ethnicity's accomplishments. Who gives a shit. It's always people who ain't shit in real life too. Yeah, your people had glorious empires, but you're working a dead end job and sharing walls with mom and dad. Congrats.

It's obviously a inferiority complex.

DominoKid

If you wrote a story (or game, whatever) w/ a minority as the main character would you feel need to justify/acknowledge it in the story?

FluxWaveZ

If you wrote a story (or game, whatever) w/ a minority as the main character would you feel need to justify/acknowledge it in the story?

Depends on the game I was writing for. It worked for a few instances in The Walking Dead, for example, because the game's about character relations. But for a lot of games, I don't think it would be necessary.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE

Depends on the setting.

If it's the wild west, that shit is gonna come up at some point.

If it's Star Trek times, who would care? (hopefully)

DominoKid

What do you mean?

I mean it like do you feel like you have to explore the nature of that "otherness" in the world you have created. Even though that would limit the potential for universal appeal.

Can you have a black character just be black? I just figured a minority writer might feel different about it, and maybe feel a greater sense of responsibility, so thats why I dropped it here.

I mean it like do you feel like you have to explore the nature of that "otherness" in the world you have created. Even though that would limit the potential for universal appeal.

Can you have a black character just be black? I just figured a minority writer might feel different about it, and maybe feel a greater sense of responsibility, so thats why I dropped it here.

When I write I don't really get into that shit.

DY_nasty

mark of a shitty writer imo

Gorillaz

No. Unless bringing it up was part of the story

I mean it's kind of a hard thing because like you mention it feels like a responsibility to mention it but I feel like you should focus more on making the world/character great itself. The character should be strong enough where it speaks for itself. If that makes sense.

KumaJG

How hard is it to write a black character with everyday problems?

I swear Michael Bay is the Lebron of directors. So much unnecessary hate

Trey

Michael Bay is not analogous to LeBron in any way. The largest reason why the hate against LeBron is stupid is because he's the best ball player in the league.

Gorillaz

Michael Bay is not analogous to LeBron in any way. The largest reason why the hate against LeBron is stupid is because he's the best ball player in the league.
I found it hilarious how after he went to MIA people not fans of the Cavs were more upset then Cav fans themselves for the longest.

Kreed

This is one of my main annoyances with black characters in film/television shows. They always have to go through "minority" issues. Some form of discrimination or a look back into black history, etc... that other minorities/white characters in these film don't deal with. This is fine in historical stories/time period pieces, but this doesn't need to be in fictional stories. If I create a fantasy world where characters are shooting fire balls or living in some made up city, why the hell would I reference the slave trade or how hard it was for my character growing up on the mean streets of Brooklyn?

For example, the movie "The Man With The Iron Fist" with the RZA. This movie is set in a fictional city in 19th century China, but there are all sorts of non Asian characters in the film and crazy/fantasy things are happening. But it's only with the RZA's character that we are given an "explanation" on why he is there and how he got so skilled (being a slave and escaping his slave masters to China where he is taught how to fight by monks). Whereas Russel Crow and Batista's characters had no backstory like this. They were just thrown into the movie and you just knew "hey white guys that kick ass, ok fine" and that was it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom