• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT7| Luigi took our stare

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slayven

I got to give the props, damn they even got Casper Cole

tumblr_mjvcq5mF0s1qbg80vo6_1280.jpg

No. Unless bringing it up was part of the story

I mean it's kind of a hard thing because like you mention it feels like a responsibility to mention it but I feel like you should focus more on making the world/character great itself. The character should be strong enough where it speaks for itself. If that makes sense.

just have the 4th level of the game be 'car trouble in South Carolina' and your local (redneck) allies betray you by giving you to the enemy, but then later on you find out they actually traded you in order to gain somwething you need in NY (the final level) and they actually secretly aided in your escape from the DC facility you were moved to after your capture.

harSon

Banned
u so extra

It's true though. It's the only live action robot movie of the last 10-15 years that's worth a damn. The list opens up a bit if you include animated films. I would throw Pacific Rim in the same category as I,Robot and the original Transformers, ie. incredibly flawed but somewhat entertaining experiences.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
You guys only say this because Real Steel belonged in the 90s in an afternoon showing after Warriors of Virtue

bunch a grandads up in here

J10

Banned
It's true though. It's the only live action robot movie of the last 10-15 years that's worth a damn. The list opens up a bit if you include animated films. I would throw Pacific Rim in the same category as I,Robot and the original Transformers, ie. incredibly flawed but somewhat entertaining experiences.

Watch Robot & Frank.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Shit I accidentally clicked on the blackface thread and started reading. What's up with European posters talking shit on Americans? The argument became my nation vs your nation very quick. Also, I think white chicks is pretty racist now lol.

Slayven

I'm pretty sure I don't wanna know, but I'ma ask anyway. What is this in reference to?
Dude compared black people to the hulk, beast from the x-men, Kratos, and Majin Buu.

I rremember when Pastor Troy started calling himself pt cruiser.....
Haven't heard that name in a while.
Real Steel better than Pacific Rim? Not in the slightest. No amount of film school critique will ever convince me of that.

I won't debate which is better. But the only thing I enjoyed about PR was Charlie Day and Ron Pearlman and the scene where the dude grabs Idris' arm and he almost has a moment.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Shit I accidentally clicked on the blackface thread and started reading. What's up with European posters talking shit on Americans? The argument became my nation vs your nation very quick. Also, I think white chicks is pretty racist now lol.

They don't have the same racist history with blackface that we do in the US apparently

Mostly because they know as much about the history of their countries as we do I guess

EloquentM

aka Mannny
They don't have the same racist history with blackface that we do in the US

Mostly because they know as much about the history of their countries as we do I guess
Still it doesn't take that knowledge to know that in any context mimicking the distinct facial features of another race could be seen as offensive even if it's seen as harmless by the offending party. That's the part that makes me laugh the most, because racists often think that their racism is right, harmless, and natural given their upbringing and culture.

harSon

Banned
There's a difference between a movie being intentionally dumb, and a movie having a legitimately shit screenplay. A HUGE difference. Plenty of movies manage to be mindless without sacrificing basic cinematic necessities, like a worthwhile screenplay, narrative, character development/relationships, underlying themes, etc. Pacific Rim sure as hell ain't one of them.

DY_nasty

There's a difference between a movie being intentionally dumb, and a movie having a legitimately shit screenplay. A HUGE difference. Plenty of movies manage to be mindless without sacrificing basic cinematic necessities, like a worthwhile screenplay, narrative, character development/relationships, underlying themes, etc. Pacific Rim sure as hell ain't one of them.

Pacific Rim had a giant button labeled SWORD in the back of the cockpit that everyone including the pilots conveniently forgot about until the perfect plot time.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I'd rather watch Pacific Rim than Red Steel absolutely every time I was presented with the option.

Kinda like picking which child to save when it's only possible to rescue one, I just pray I can get through life without ever having to make this choice

harSon

Banned
The one thing I'll give Pacific Rim props for is the fact that it's probably in the top 3 experiences for home 3D. It looks absolutely ridiculous.

Otherwise, it's neck and neck with Mimic as del Toro's worst film.

Pacific Rim was good and entertaining. Real Steel was good and entertaining. The twilight zone episode its based on was good and entertaining.

FUCK i just realized I lost my Pacific Rim Bluray.......

So did Meshach Taylor really die or was it some bullshit?

Life is so good sometimes. Karma is a motherfucker...... tee hee

DY_nasty

And that's why I love Pacific Rim, its dumb as hell.

Shit was awesome. It was the first time I saw my brother making the same face I made while watching the Power Rangers.

Real Steel would've been a lot better had they found a different kid.

Slayven

Pacific Rim was good and entertaining. Real Steel was good and entertaining. The twilight zone episode its based on was good and entertaining.

FUCK i just realized I lost my Pacific Rim Bluray.......

So did Meshach Taylor really die or was it some bullshit?

Life is so good sometimes. Karma is a motherfucker...... tee hee
CNN is reporting it. Man i was just watching Designing Women the other day.

CNN is reporting it. Man i was just watching Designing Women the other day.

hmmm...I knew about designing women, but did not realize that was the same dude from "Mannequin."

535-3.jpg

IMG_5925-e1371770506250-419x295.png

I remember watching the movie as a kid, wondering if people actually acted like that. Yes, Yes they do.

edit: biggest surprise here is he apparently is straight, married with 4 kids. learn something new everyday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom