• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT8| Hands Up, Don't Shoot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trey

Luther is most memorable in how little guns were used.

How many madmen and assholes went on killing sprees because none of the police seem to carry or use their firearms?

And that Alice girl. I mean, I get why you folks like her, but she's a rather terrible character. So little about her makes sense - she just is. She just shows up to do a thing. Jarringly incongruent.

The cinematography was clean though. The only problem I had was how quick moving action looked unnatural; it was as if the film was sped up a bit in the foreground but not the background. It just looked a bit odd, but it's probably a stylistic thing. At least it didn't make me nauseous like shaky cam does.

No Good Deeds is going to get my business because Luther left me wanting to see more of Elba's work. That film lucks out by the timing.

It was at least fun to watch a UK production. The dialogue was really good to me for that reason. Snappy while putting me on to some colloqialisms. Ripley was a down ass nigga - we all could use one of him.

Finally got to 15 in Destiny. Can''t decide if I wanna go Blades or stick with Golden Gun, but I'll decide later since I've been playing most of the day. Prolly gonna turn it back in before I sleep to clear out the Strike mission on the Moon though...

moris

breh

iD5GzRGZ7I08j.gif

edit: i didn't forget you guys. we were just waist deep in getting smashed up by that weekly strike.

Tried this and we weren't about that life yet.

Female co-worker talking on the phone to her friend, " If your not going to fuck her why even take her out to Chilli's?"..........

I need to get out of here.

Spinluck

So when are you going to start that?

Oh shit, lol.

I need to know if smash 3DS is anything like melee. :/

Regarding the feel of the game, it feels closer to Smash 64.

You have to try it for yourself, but it has been pretty clear for years now that we will probably never get a Smash game that resembles Melee gameplay wise. At least as long as Sakurai is making them. Demo is plays well, and I think the game will be incredibly fun.

Oh shit, lol.

Regarding the feel of the game, it feels closer to Smash 64.

You have to try it for yourself, but it has been pretty clear for years now that we will probably never get a Smash game that resembles Melee gameplay wise. At least as long as Sakurai is making them. Demo is plays well, and I think the game will be incredibly fun.

Trying out a mix of the new characters and the old faves, some characters are evidently more combo-blessed than other (Mario, Greninja, etc.) and it seems like Namco did actually have a positive influence on the overall tempo.

Oh yeah, Lil Mac is a murderer

But as the child gets older whipping them becomes less and less justified than it already is. Because as they get older they're able to understand the effects of their action if parents simply...talked to them.

Really if your kid is like 10 and you're whipping them...you are pretty much a failure of a parent IMO.

True. At the same token, if your kid is 15 and they don't respect you enough that your only course of action is to give them beatings like that's doing something - anything - productive as far as raising them, that's a pretty damning mark on your record. You sitting there wailing on the kid with all your might and (s)he is just standing there, thinking about how dope it's going to be when they move out and never speak to your ass again.

Also not with this new thing of publicly humiliating your kid. Turn your kid into a laughingstock on facebook and call it good parenting, brehs.

i raised 3 and we didn't really have to spank them anymore after the age of around 10 or so. After that my punishments became so ruthlessly diabolical that they did anything to avoid them. I'm talking shit like, "You can't go to bed at the right time. Fine, now you can't go to bed" and "Yeah its pizza night, for everyone but you."

was this the one they didn't expect to be as big as it was here, and literally ran out of source footage from the japanese show?

Also I vaguely remember a blue ghost that looked like Jay Leno

Had no choice. They didn't know it was gonna be that big. Now VR Troopers on the other hand.....

And the Galaxy S5 Active has been thus far the best damn phone I've ever owned.

BHZ Mayor

Beat Maken X not a bad game. Now time to beat either Donkey Story 64, one my Tales game or Vagrant Story

If you mean Donkey Kong 64, don't bother, unless you really like collecting things and you really like shitty minigames and you're really good at the original Donkey Kong arcade game.

Kreed

But as the child gets older whipping them becomes less and less justified than it already is. Because as they get older they're able to understand the effects of their action if parents simply...talked to them.

Really if your kid is like 10 and you're whipping them...you are pretty much a failure of a parent IMO.

I've mentioned this in the BCT before but my parents did corporal punishment when I was little, then switched when I was around 7 or 8 to taking away things like video games in addition to rewarding good grades in school. Personally I found this way more effective than corporal punishment in my life/my siblings and no longer think corporal punishment is necessary, but I'm not going to go in on posters like in the Adrian Peterson thread calling people's parents shit and comparing spanking to child molestation (spanking threads on GAF never miss a beat).

As far as Adrian Peterson is concerned though he definitely went too far and as I said for Ray Rice, he needs to realize he is a weapon and can't be putting his hands on people (especially his kids) if he can't properly restrain his strength.

did any of yall ever have the TV cable filters to get the premium cable channels?

these things
LRG-47690-NFA.jpg

i didn't even know Cinemax was something you actually had to pay for until i was like 14. had one for Disney Channel too.

We had "de-scrambler" boxes that would unscramble the premium channels back when cable worked that way. Watching free boxing/wrestling pay per views (The Rock/WCW days) was great. Of course you had to hide those things when you had real issues with your cable before the cable man came through.

BHZ Mayor

Yep, that right up my ally. Eventually end up beating them all.

Man. I don't know how I did it back in the day. The last couple of times I tried to play through it started off alright, but once I get to that first race against the beetle, or that minecart minigame where you have to avoid the TNT, I'm just like
timduncanokthatsenuf.png

Yeah, confessional time:

My mother whipped me with a switch. Once.

When she saw the welts on my legs (she called them "weps", Mississippi style), she was legit shook and never did that again.

She and my father still spanked me, though. Damn belt.

Also, I spanked my son, with my hand, only a few times. And then I stopped. My husband and I have found ways to discipline him without resorting to corporal punishment. And my son is a good kid (yes, I'm biased, but he's never had a 'middle of the store tantrum' moment, I tell you what).

IMHO, when it comes to physical discipline, we may all have our levels, but in the end, I think the spankers and non-spankers can all agree that Adrian Peterson went too damn far. A four year old should never have marks like that on his or her body. End of Story.

I've mentioned this in the BCT before but my parents did corporal punishment when I was little, then switched when I was around 7 or 8 to taking away things like video games in addition to rewarding good grades in school. Personally I found this way more effective than corporal punishment in my life/my siblings and no longer think corporal punishment is necessary, but I'm not going to go in on posters like in the Adrian Peterson thread calling people's parents shit and comparing spanking to child molestation (spanking threads on GAF never miss a beat).

As far as Adrian Peterson is concerned though he definitely went too far and as I said for Ray Rice, he needs to realize he is a weapon and can't be putting his hands on people (especially his kids) if he can't properly restrain his strength.

I will. Honestly I think corporal punishment is lazy as all the fucks. It only exists to let you the parent let out all your aggressions on the child to include your aggressions from work and other sources. I say this as someone who received several beatings, I just ended up hating my dad something fierce and still do; I haven't talk to the guy in 12 years. I remember one time dude beat me with those old school army belts with the double pegs, couldn't sit down for about 4 days; had the damn MPs at my school questioning me on if I was getting abused.

Honestly, I'm not going to do to my kid what I wouldn't do to another person. Hell I wouldn't even beat a dog for not heeding my command so I'm definitely not going to whip my child for such. Parents get frustrated/angry when their child doesn't change his mentality when the parent wants them to and resorts to whooping them; like okay the risks far far outweigh the benefits. Then you get cats who are basically battered spouse syndrome victims without even knowing it saying shit like "Well I mean I deserved it" and "Nothing else would work for me, so it's okay". Like imagine a woman saying all this shit about how her husband beat her and you'd be like...damn this chick has been through some shit. Really I'm not going to do to my child what I'm not willing to let someone else do to me.

Cats have been shown so many studies that flat out explain that shit doesn't work and results in a bunch of fucked up problems for the kid; but it's one of the few things in which people become horrendously irrational; clutching to their anecdotal evidence as a counter to the myriad of empirical evidence that's out there and readily available for consumption. Shits mind boggling.

xnipx

Didn't AP say to the mother in the texts he felt bad and wasn't going to do it any more tho because of the marks he left? He probably had good intentions but someone of his strength needs to hire a nanny to whip the kids or get his mother to do it. My father never hit me as a child. He always got the women to do it.

They used the B-fighter series from japan and after 2 seasons they went from this

holy shit. good thing i wasn't into kids TV at that time, I would have literally burned my local fox affiliate to the ground.

edit: there were a lot of power rangers knockoffs that sprang up around then, but THIS ONE was by far the worst.

ttaffbh_3322.jpg

Tattooed_Teenage_Alien_Fighters_from_Beverly_Hills.jpg

I mean, this was "holy shit what's wrong with you" bad

Mortemis

Banned
I've never gotten hit by switch, but I've gotten the belt, spankings, all that, but they stopped around when I was 12.

They stopped much quicker with my younger siblings, since I guess they knew what to do by then. I'm not all against corporal punishment, and I'm not gonna tell a parent how to raise their kids since I've never done it, I'm just not all for it just because I got it and I turned out okay.

Slayven

Folks out here jocking Angelus gimmick and just being terrible at it. It's like going to see Jj Fish, only for it to be really Keith Sweat.

holy shit. good thing i wasn't into kids TV at that time, I would have literally burned my local fox affiliate to the ground.

edit: there were a lot of power rangers knockoffs that sprang up around then, but THIS ONE was by far the worst.

ttaffbh_3322.jpg

Tattooed_Teenage_Alien_Fighters_from_Beverly_Hills.jpg

I mean, this was "holy shit what's wrong with you" bad

That shot literally only had 3 sets, and the acting was terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom