• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT8| Hands Up, Don't Shoot

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
There's such a big difference between a game being balanced unfairly, or someone not being able to grasp what most people do. Some games DO get significantly better when you're better at it. It's a fine line.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Yea, most times comments like that are out of line.

That said, if someone says some shit like, "DS sucks because I can't get past the skeletons in the beginning," then they deserve every bit of hate they get. If a game is skill based, then sometimes, "get good" is the best response to give. *shrugs*

Why?

If someone doesn't understand the game either inform them or ignore them.

Why engage in the get gud back and forth?

Yea, most times comments like that are out of line.

That said, if someone says some shit like, "DS sucks because I can't get past the skeletons in the beginning," then they deserve every bit of hate they get. If a game is skill based, then sometimes, "get good" is the best response to give. *shrugs*

There's such a big difference between a game being balanced unfairly, or someone not being able to grasp what most people do. Some games DO get significantly better when you're better at it. It's a fine line.

I can understand that some games get better once you understand them but skill-based or not, even if the source of a persons dislike for a game is because they're not good at it, that's fine in and of itself.

If I'm bad at DOTA (I am) and I don't like the game because of it.. that's a valid reason not to like it. It only becomes questionable if I then use that dislike to constantly spout that DOTA itself is bad.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Why?

If someone doesn't understand the game either inform them or ignore them.

Why engage in the get gud back and forth?

Because sometimes it's as simple as get better, practice, think, try again, dodge more, give it more time, etc... Sometimes, there is nothing left to inform someone of (especially if you're not trying to spoil it).

Of course, you can ignore them, but that's beside the point. People can ignore a lot of shit that doesn't get ignored.

edit: If I'm terrible at something, I'm not going to go spewing about how bad a game is, just because I'm shit at it. If I can't give a good enough reason for something being horrible, I'll just say I'm ass at it and keep it moving.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Because sometimes it's as simple as get better, practice, think, try again, dodge more, give it more time, etc... Sometimes, there is nothing left to inform someone of (especially if you're not trying to spoil it).

Of course, you can ignore them, but that's beside the point. People can ignore a lot of shit that doesn't get ignored.

edit: If I'm terrible at something, I'm not going to go spewing about how bad a game is, just because I'm shit at it. If I can't give a good enough reason for something being horrible, I'll just say I'm ass at it and keep it moving.

I don't think you have to be at a certain skill level to say you don't like something.

It's the equivalent of dismissing someone's opinion of a book or movie with "you just didn't understand it" aka you're too dumb to appreciate it.

Either explain what someone is missing by having a different set of experiences and values from yourself, or move on with your life. Calling someone stupid or bad for not adhering to you rigid criteria for using the phrase "bad game" is the most petty shit you can do in response. It's just name calling in the defense of an inanimate object that won't thank you for it.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant

^^mirrors edge thread

sFf7hUq.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPZDBF0kei0

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=904112

Sooooo.....

16-Bit Dating Sim Platforming SHUMP?

I couldn't help but to smile and laugh throughout the whole video.

Pharell = Professor Layton?

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
I don't think you have to be at a certain skill level to say you don't like something.

It's the equivalent of dismissing someone's opinion of a book or movie as "you just didn't understand it" aka you're too dumb to appreciate it.

Either explain what someone is missing by having a different set of experiences and values than yourself, or move on with your life. Calling someone stupid or bad for not adhering to you rigid criteria for using the phrase "bad game" is the most petty shit you can do in response. It's just name calling in the defense of an inanimate object that won't thank you for it.

It's not about being at a certain skill level. It's about being able to articulate why it is that you don't enjoy something, beyond, "i'm bad at it, therefore it isn't good." If you feel a game is poorly designed and doesn't accommodate someone of your skill level, and is exclusionary to a hardcore only crowd, cool. If you're mad because you're getting bodied by the lvl 30 skeleton and you're level 1, and then complain about why the game as a whole is garbage, then your opinion gets the bushes treatment. If you don't like it (due to not being "good" at it), then that is cool as well. That's different than saying a game is horribly made.

Same thing with movies. If you don't understand a film, then you should be able to point out what muddled the film's language and why those missing aspects undermined your viewing process. Nobody listens to a critique that reads, "I didn't understand the movie, 1/2 star," or at least, I hope that they wouldn't. That applies to literature as well.

It's also not about defense of an inanimate object: it's about discussion.

edit:
^^mirrors edge thread

lol. word.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
It's not about being at a certain skill level. It's about being able to articulate why it is that you don't enjoy something, beyond, "i'm bad at it, therefore it isn't good." If you feel a game is poorly designed and doesn't accommodate someone of your skill level, and is exclusionary to a hardcore only crowd, cool. If you're mad because you're getting bodied by the lvl 30 skeleton and you're level 1, and then complain about why the game as a whole is garbage, then your opinion gets the bushes treatment. If you don't like it (due to not being "good" at it), then that is cool as well. That's different than saying a game is horribly made.

Same thing with movies. If you don't understand a film, then you should be able to point out what muddled the film's language and why those missing aspects undermined your viewing process. Nobody listens to a critique that reads, "I didn't understand the movie, 1/2 star," or at least, I hope that they wouldn't. That applies to literature as well.

It's also not about defense of an inanimate object: it's about discussion.

edit:

lol. word.

That's a lot of meaning to extrapolate from the phrase "get gud"

Some people just don't know enough to have.that conversation. Name calling isn't going to provoke them into having it. It just makes you look bad and not worth dealing with

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
sup with match.com?

i know two peeople that've been married off of it. (4 years each)

Trey

I knew as soon as I saw the flag that there would be numerous stories on the Muslim prayer celebration penalty. None of the articles amount to much, basically saying that it was kind of wonky he was flagged but it's no big deal.

Honestly, his rockstar slide into prayer combo after a TAINT was badass and completely worth the penalty. Styling on the Patriots hasn't looked so good in a decade.

Makes sense, I wouldn't spend coin if you live in a bumfuck city population 150k, but if you lived a "city" city where the pop is like 500k+ then yea I can see a use for it.

will try when i get to honolulu next week

It would be beneficial in a spot like Honolulu. Atlanta ain't bad either. Personally I've tried OKCupid and had "positive" results. But at the same time I had that diamond in the rough because I'm outside of Atl. Most females I've tagged are lonely housewives and undercover freaks. It just depends. Also I've used plenty of fish, but came across a prostitution ring. Needless to say always unscathed. But that's a verse for another day.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Does it make him happy?

By the way, side note...that song, I realize everyone loves it but jesus

The real estate business will NEVER let that song go. All their motivational meetings, their sales teams, they have the biggest goddamn boner for that shit. Bunch of cheeseballs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom