• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT8| Hands Up, Don't Shoot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crocodile

This may seem harsh but the truth is these people are overwhelmingly young and very naive, angry and bitter, emotionally stunted and honestly quite dumb. These guys (it's always guys) tend to be unattractive and have poor social skills that are reflected in their horrible opinions about women and their inability to date successfully. They're bitter at people - especially women - who are having regular sex because they're not. They're mad at anyone else who happens to be happy with a significant other in their lives or who keeps a healthy circle of friends. They're likely still living at home, in debt from college and often not financially stable (they feel "poor"). It makes them upset about women's advancements in the workplace, AA policies that don't benefit them and other minorities getting ahead in any little way. They basically can't stand anyone who's enjoying life and not spending their days bitching endlessly about other people. They're alone, regarded as stupid, lead empty lives, contribute nothing to anything meaningful and they know it. You attack the flaws in "their" beloved forms of media (comics, games, movies), ban them from a messageboard, etc., and they become enraged to the point of mental breakdown and start making death threats because that's all they have in their miserable, pathetic lives.

tldr: don't worry about those losers.

Whenever I see people like that I always wonder if they weren't raised right. I dunno if its a fair assumption to make but people like that don't seem to have drawn the shortest straws in life (awful neighborhood, abusive parents, crippling disease, etc.) and the job market and relationships are hard for everybody, they shouldn't cause well-adjusted people to go on such massive tilt. Like the thought processes of those people are COMPLETELY alien to me. When it comes to the worst example, it's as if I'm looking at actual non-humans.

Jado

Banned
As someone who lives at home, is jobless, financially unstable (but luckily has no debt), and only has the ephemeral vapors of a social life, this is the goddamn truth of it. What fucks me up about this whole thing is that in the back of my head I always wonder if I could have been one of these guys five years ago.

I know I could have been one of these guys. I can't pin down the exact turning point where I started to get my shit together (mentally, at least), but I know high school me was headed that way.

I really can't emphasize how these fucks feel so entitled (my video games you wanna ruin, my job you stole), overestimating their intelligence and worth when they're typically talentless individuals who can't do ANYTHING besides spend most of their day jerking off, playing games and whining online -- which is fine if not for all the blaming and bigotry that underlines their entire lives.

I was almost there with those guys in some ways. I was broke and didn't have much, yet felt like I worked harder, had no concept of equity and didn't get why another poor brown/black person needed a hand up and couldn't just get their shit together (my own privilege talking). "Loose" women bothered me for no good reason beyond my own insecurities about the opposite sex. The mention of feminism set me off thinking "but what about troubled boys?!" because I knew nothing about it. I didn't understand black culture or even my own Latino culture well enough not to maintain irrationally broad and negative thoughts about the customs, music, slang, etc. Taking a course about my own culture's history helped a lot. Reading about racism from many sources helped immensely. Meeting new people from diff backgrounds in adulthood helped re-wire my way of thinking and dispel stereotypes. Being on this msg board has also been beneficial so that I could separate myself from truly awful people with shit motives (MRA dudes).

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Goddamn Bullet Girls thread is dirty pedo filth incarnate
jApZq8oRbQerg_e.jpg

RedSwirl

Whenever I see people like that I always wonder if they weren't raised right. I dunno if its a fair assumption to make but people like that don't seem to have drawn the shortest straws in life (awful neighborhood, abusive parents, crippling disease, etc.) and the job market and relationships are hard for everybody, they shouldn't cause well-adjusted people to go on such massive tilt. Like the thought processes of those people are COMPLETELY alien to me. When it comes to the worst example, it's as if I'm looking at actual non-humans.

They just can't see past their own problems. Many of them probably do have legit problems in their lives: fucked-up job market, money problems, disabilities, self-esteem, being bullied, etc., but they tend to see their own problems as bigger than everyone else's. I think one of the main people who spoke out against Depression Quest did so on the assumption that Quinn didn't understand depression as well as he did.

Many possibly also work under the assumption that gaming/nerd culture is supposed to be a cocoon for bullied/socially inept people where hot chicks and socially active guys can't bother them. When it occurs those people are into the same things, I think the people we see lashing out from reddit/4chan feel their hiding spot is being intruded upon. For a GAF example, whenever Mufasa posts threads about his sexual exploits I think people just get mad at the idea of someone who plays lots of video games also being able to have such escapades. That's probably why a lot of people are mad at Quinn. It's kind of like, the idea that even someone who is into nerd things can have such a social life (or any social life at all) devalues the nerds who don't have any social life, perhaps taking away their only excuse for being socially inept. Or something like that. I'm having trouble coming up with the words.

Crossposting from one of the Halo threads

It's kind of interesting to me that the esports commentator lineups have a pretty large black demographic, especially with Smash Bros. I've been wondering why that's been the case compared to other positions in gaming.

At first I was expecting outright audio manipulation and not lying by omission. While the actual practice by the news station is fucked up, it's kind of heartwarming the kid turned the interview around on its head like that saying he wanted to be a cop.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Wiat until it is localized and shit get edited, they going to be mad.

I'll never buy another XSEED game because of the stance that one dude of theirs took on "I believe all these pedo games are art and shouldn't be censored"

I am paraphrasing, but it was disgusting and I just...no. NO.

Slayven

I'll never buy another XSEED game because of the stance that one dude of theirs took on "I believe all these pedo games are art and shouldn't be censored"

I am paraphrasing, but it was disgusting and I just...no. NO.

It's not art, COD and Assassin Creed have more claims to being art then that shit. Japanese Devs know what sales and maket to that small niche market. Because they are willing to spend obscene amounts of money on that shit.

You notice that the actual gunning parts look like a mid era PSone game? But the little girl rubbing is 1090HD.

jWILL253

Banned
I'm at wits end, y'all.

This Ferguson shit combined with my mother's health (2 strokes in less than 6 months) and general unemployment has me stressing more and more each day.

I'm just mentally preparing for the moment where I either snap, or have an aneurysm. Whichever comes first.

Also... I never thought I would say this, but I'm starting to actively hate White people. So much bullshit from them so far in 2014...

Slayven

I'm at wits end, y'all.

This Ferguson shit combined with my mother's health (2 strokes in less than 6 months) and general unemployment has me stressing more and more each day.

I'm just mentally preparing for the moment where I either snap, or have an aneurysm. Whichever comes first.

Also... I never thought I would say this, but I'm starting to actively hate White people. So much bullshit from them so far in 2014...

Don't go that route man. Just take moment, and just chill. Get your head on straight and lock out the bullshit.

I'm at wits end, y'all.

Hope your mom gets better

Just don't go shooting up people, because you'll make the rest of us look bad by proxy. You know, black people = hivemind and all.

Can't cosign on such foolishness.

akira28

you can't lump all white people together like that or else you're no better, man. you know that. There are a lot of people standing up for the right things, and you can't, and you shouldn't want to toss them all away because of the nasty ignorance of the vocal few. You're doing wrong.

Jado

Banned
you can't lump all white people together like that or else you're no better, man. you know that. There are a lot of people standing up for the right things, and you can't, and you shouldn't want to toss them all away because of the nasty ignorance of the vocal few. You're doing wrong.

Pretty much this.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
The female cast kind of struggle

Teairra Mari
Hazel E
Yesi Ortiz
Nikki Mudarris

That doesn't matter because Ray J about set back some years.

Its amazing how this show is built for the trainwreck ability rather than trying to help with careers. I guess thats the fate of all reality shows

jWILL253

Banned

You realize by lumping all white people together as a hivemind...you're literally acting like the people you hate right?

Idk. It seems like no matter where I look, whether it's in public, on the internet, whatever, all I see is White people mostly siding with the police while managing to dehumanize Brown and any other victims of police brutality, while a few good honest White folks fighting the good fight are the minority.

Hell, I live in one of the most liberal states in the nation, second only to California and Colorado, and I recently participated in a local protest for Ferguson in Tacoma. And yet, all I see when I read about it is a bunch of comments about how Brown is a thug and we need to get all the facts and shit.

ReiGun

But Par all these people are always in the studio, but never release one damn album.

This reminds me of that RnB Divas show. I see commercials for it all the time when I'm watching reruns on TVOne and I swear I don't recognize 90% of the cast.

akira28

Hell, I live in one of the most liberal states in the nation

That means a lot less than you think. Someone did a poll and noticed the majority of posts on twitter were in support of the protests, and most of the Facebook posts were supporting "the police". Admitted racists created the Ferguson subreddit. You can imagine how yahoo news commenters will look. This is an issue where you do yourself a disservice if you get caught up on the image, because that's one of the battlegrounds.

Just step back and take a breather, and maybe try talking to some people. I hung out on the #ferguson twitter feed, and it's mostly white people there, and we're just double and triple-teaming the soccer moms and conservative dads who are just trying to "get the facts" and call us race baiters because "it has nothing to do with race and we keep bringing race into it." They treat all black people like a monolith and we take them to task for it. You don't want to be adding to those bad vibes man. Really.

Minor change, otherwise I agree.

last I checked, 52% were on our side :p and we even converted 13% of conservatives since Trayvon. Although a lot of those 3rd way Libertarians are backsliding like a mug.

Slayven

Zendaya got an new Disney show. Good call backing out of that bullshit movie. Stay in that Disney money for as long as you can.

Bill Bellamy came into my store a few minutes ago. When he left, some of my younger coworkers were asking who he was. Did he fall off that bad? Making me feel Slayven old, damn.

Slayven

Bill Bellamy came into my store a few minutes ago. When he left, some of my younger coworkers were asking who he was. Did he fall off that bad? Making me feel Slayven old, damn.

Well dude was really on for a hot minute and had one bullshit movie. He was and still terrible, he gets a standup comedy show on bounce or centric or some shit.

What did he buy??

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"

you serious? im sure most of the kids that even know who he is is due to that lil b song

RP912

Banned
Smh how you go from "How to be a player" to "How did I fell off"?

Bill was never that funny to begin with honestly. He will forever be the only unfunny dude on def comedy jam to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom