• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT8| Hands Up, Don't Shoot

Status
Not open for further replies.

BHZ Mayor

I'm still not entirely clear why that's assumed to be the case. It's possible to racist and mental. It's possible to have a mental illness that drives you to do things others wouldn't, whilst also choosing your target based on your racist beliefs.

I feel like sometimes people just shout past each other.

That's true, but you know damn well that most of the people talking about mental illness are just trying to run away from looking in a mirror because they might find out that they have fucked up view.

Just caught up on the lastest Gaming controversy, and honestly I can't bring myself to care...

Like...I really cant but I feel like it should...idk.

zero fucks to give, ironically.

I think my whole thing is I feel no sympathy for the head of the whole controversy. Nor do I find the internet's reaction all that surprising. No one is "pulling" me to their side and it just seems idiotic and almost natural that things have gone on this way.

akira28

I think my whole thing is I feel no sympathy for the head of the whole controversy. Nor do I find the internet's reaction all that surprising. No one is "pulling" me to their side and it just seems idiotic and almost natural that things have gone on this way.

Someone should kick the internet in the balls so they can be distracted by their own problems.

besada

Banned
I am having a bad morning, folks. Not only has the Phil Fish/Zoe Quinn stuff just depressed the shit out of me, but I've just discovered that the subreddit NeoFAG has posted pictures and commentary about me.

It's a weird feeling.

Slayven

I am having a bad morning, folks. Not only has the Phil Fish/Zoe Quinn stuff just depressed the shit out of me, but I've just discovered that the subreddit NeoFAG has posted pictures and commentary about me.

It's a weird feeling.

Goddamn how much of a loser do you have to be to stalk people and post on a board that only 2 people post at?

Stay up man, don't let losers get you down.

It's a weird feeling.

I wouldn't even worry about what some irrelevant ass sub-section of the internet thinks about you, just keeping doing your thing.

akira28

besada, you look cool bro. Don't let the haters get you down. Let their alkaline tears and bitter bitchiness fuel you, make you stronger.

To me, my mods-par-excellence!

edit: they even shade slayven. shits not cool.

Slayven

Jsut read the Phil Fish stuff. Damn sad shows how immature the industry really is.

besada, you look cool bro. Don't let the haters get you down. Let their alkaline tears and bitter bitchiness fuel you, make you stronger.

To me, my mods-par-excellence!

edit: they even shade slayven. shits not cool.

link?

akira28

Jsut read the Phil Fish stuff. Damn sad shows how immature the industry really is.

link?

"NeoFAGs angry that someone isn't calling apes a gift to mankind"
just a link to your Kevin Sorbet thread.

actually during my ban, I noticed the BCT being discussed a few different places in a negative light. The GAF haters are definitely aware of what goes on in here.

Malyse

It's a weird feeling.
I've given up on reddit.

Kreed

It's a weird feeling.

I had this happen to me once on a board I used to moderate. Banned the guy for racist crap and then someone discovered he created a whole blog about my real life identity (took my user name and googled it to find my college profile). Had to get police involved to get him to shut it down.

You just have to keep in mind that some posters on GAF have no life outside of GAF, so when you and the moderation staff get them banned, you've taken their life away. And they feel the need to vent. Obviously this is hard to do on a board as big as GAF but it's best to just ignore as much of it as you can.

33 or so.

It is impressive how much hate some people have for equality and people in general. Holy shit.

Considering one of the reactions we got this week while house-hunting, yep. Like awkward handshake, wait, the Benz is yours not the truck from 89?, the whole nine.

SmokyDave

Eh, I've seen myself getting smack-talked here and there. Usually over Vita stuff. Amazes me that anyone on GAF cares what I'm yammering about, let alone cats from further afield.

That's true, but you know damn well that most of the people talking about mental illness are just trying to run away from looking in a mirror because they might find out that they have fucked up view.
Yup, there are definitely those that use mental illness as some sort of replacement for any potentially racist motivations. Makes no sense.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Considering one of the reactions we got this week while house-hunting, yep. Like awkward handshake, wait, the Benz is yours not the truck from 89?, the whole nine.

Wow. smh.

So basically the whole" bigotry will go away when all the old people die off" argument is officially bullshit right?

Yep. Those ideals get passed down and won't die. People holding onto that pipe dream lost.

Slayven

That is how silly SJW slander is, Social Justice Warrior sounds like a good thing. it's only really used by folks that are scared of losing their privilege.

Hey BCT, longtime lurker. I fell behind and I'm only halfway through OT7 but (as mentioned around that time) this thread is a great place for sensible discourse on social justice/race/etc. stuff. So I thought I should finally make an actual post:

Where you're from- Ireland
Where you live- Ireland
Your cultural heritage, lineage and genealogy- White people, all the way down (Austria or Ireland, surname is ambiguous)
Do you know your roots- I've seen a census from 1901 with my ancestors living in a house the family still owns. That's the farthest back I know but pretty cool.
Your Age- 22
Favorite musical genre- Electronic has several subgenres I love so we'll say that
Your profession/major/career interest- Web developer/game development/part-time indie developer
Your religious affiliation- Technically Roman Catholic but you know how it is
Hobbies- Playing/making videogames, programming in general, reading, making graffiti stencils

----

Anyway. I think this tweet does a pretty good job of summing up my feelings on the various controversies over the last few days.

Adam Atomic
‏@ADAMATOMIC
i mean like if you HAD to pick between "social justice warrior" and "bigot" i feel like it's a pretty straightforward option right

People are always so ready to play the 'oversensitive'/SJW card and it's getting painful at this stage. I'm getting less and less interested in calling them out on it as well because inevitably it leads to Tumblr and someone says 'feminist' in a tone of voice that suggests they're going to spit afterwards...

The lack of compassion and willingness to dismiss utterly the hardship or outright abuse of others really makes me sad. That's just one reason this thread is so nice to read.

The other reasons are mostly to do with people getting WRECKED in what seem like casual conversations at first.

Slayven

Hey BCT, longtime lurker. I fell behind and I'm only halfway through OT7 but (as mentioned around that time) this thread is a great place for sensible discourse on social justice/race/etc. stuff. So I thought I should finally make an actual post:

Where you're from- Ireland
Where you live- Ireland
Your cultural heritage, lineage and genealogy- White people, all the way down (Austria or Ireland, surname is ambiguous)
Do you know your roots- I've seen a census from 1901 with my ancestors living in a house the family still owns. That's the farthest back I know but pretty cool.
Your Age- 22
Favorite musical genre- Electronic has several subgenres I love so we'll say that
Your profession/major/career interest- Web developer/game development/part-time indie developer
Your religious affiliation- Technically Roman Catholic but you know how it is
Hobbies- Playing/making videogames, programming in general, reading, making graffiti stencils

----

Anyway. I think this tweet does a pretty good job of summing up my feelings on the various controversies over the last few days.

Adam Atomic
‏@ADAMATOMIC
i mean like if you HAD to pick between "social justice warrior" and "bigot" i feel like it's a pretty straightforward option right

People are always so ready to play the 'oversensitive'/SJW card and it's getting painful at this stage. I'm getting less and less interested in calling them out on it as well because inevitably it leads to Tumblr and someone says 'feminist' in a tone of voice that suggests they're going to spit afterwards...

The lack of compassion and willingness to dismiss utterly the hardship or outright abuse of others really makes me sad. That's just one reason this thread is so nice to read.

The other reasons are mostly to do with people getting WRECKED in what seem like casual conversations at first.
Welcome and SJW vs Bigot puts it perfectly.

So basically the whole" bigotry will go away when all the old people die off" argument is officially bullshit right?

Always was so long as those beliefs are passed on.

There's more tolerance of certain things, but some of the shade towards shade is still there. Especially when you're the only ones in an area, like right now. Some of that is feeling out, and some of that is salt.

In the case of salt, I want oceanic levels, so I do what I can.

Welcome and SJW vs Bigot puts it perfectly.
Cheers. :) It seemed rude to try and jump on every BCT bandwagon with my first post but I really did consider coming out of the gate with a Slayven joke. Glad I didn't now, sure you're the nicest person who's talked to me.

Kreed

Bigotry will never die, just change and evolve. The "old people die off" argument is usually only used in reference to US black issues dating back to the civil rights movement and slavery. Those issues will die out because new generations won't be able to relate to it. But this doesn't address current hate for current issues like police violence as well as hate for groups like Muslims, Latinos, Gays, Feminist/women, etc... because these issues are part of the current generation.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"

It's a weird feeling.

Theres another one? Huh. I should have known it wouldnt have ended after the last one imploded. Its all good though. Whiny cats hiding behind their non gaf aliases shouldnt even stress you bro.

I need to take a break from NeoGAF and BCT. I had a dream last night where Doctor Doom said "you ain't shit."

Well, if doom says it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom