• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT8| Hands Up, Don't Shoot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slayven

Man, I swear. I can't stand people who complain about how hard it is for them to land a job and they'll take "anything" then turn around and go "well they only wanted to pay me $10 an hour...I have bills!"

Like...how much are you making now exactly? Fuck out of here.

Unless they are in Manhattan or San Fransisco, they shouldn't be shitting on 10 bucks an hour.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I wouldn't want to work for 10 dollars an hour. Not if I didn't have to.

and it sounds like he doesn't have to. Probably mad comfy at mom and dad's

It's funny when people who still live at at their parents probably rent free try and act like they struggling though.

"I got bills man!" lol

It's funny when people who still live at at their parents probably rent free try and act like they struggling though.

"I got bills man!" lol

phone and car bills are expensive! especially if ma dukes won't let you on her auto insurance...

DominoKid

blackish is giving out inside secrets tonight.

"I got bills man!" lol

shit sucks breh. it could definitely be worse though.

RP912

Banned
Shit you gotta take what you can get nowadays. I preach ambition and goals but when times are rough...there's nothing wrong with landing something temporary while you work on something permanent.

I used to get disgusted by some of the people I used to help find jobs when their whole demeanor is getting any job but won't want to wash the fucking dishes or flip a burger.

akira28

Probably doesn't even realize jobs are looking at his jobless period going "WTF was he doing that whole time?".

Why did they have to be doing anything? Work world is pretty conflicted with itself and its intent, which used to be to get shit done, now it's to look like you're working.

I used to get disgusted by some of the people I used to help find jobs when their whole demeanor is getting any job but won't want to wash the fucking dishes or flip a burger.

only way I do either of those is if I'm hiding from the authorities.

KumaJG

Man, I swear. I can't stand people who complain about how hard it is for them to land a job and they'll take "anything" then turn around and go "well they only wanted to pay me $10 an hour...I have bills!"

Any temp agencies in the area?

Infinite

Shit you gotta take what you can get nowadays. I preach ambition and goals but when times are rough...there's nothing wrong with landing something temporary while you work on something permanent.

This. What I learn the past couple of weeks. Been working towards getting a job as a software developer so now I am doing freelance work and personal projects in the meantime as I learn new programming languages and frameworks all the while working a retail gig at Target. I was pretty depressed that I wasn't where I wanted to be but now I'm learning that sometimes you gotta just grind it out and persevere. Sometimes that may mean working a retail job for example, until you can do better.

ReiGun

Back when I was jobless, I would have killed for $10 an hour. Hell I'd kill for it now at my retail gig.

strobogo

Banned

But then there is the problem of looking like a flukey shit when you have 5 jobs in a year that all last 1-3 months because you take shitty temporary jobs and move on to something slightly less shitty.

Depending on what you're doing 10 still isn't enough.

To me it's all relative to how many responsibilities you have to take on and how stressful your job is.

Even if you can make 10 bucks work in your area it's not much to save on and a stressful job will ensure you spend time sick or drinking because that's what stress does.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member

Shit I wouldn't want to either. I remember applying for a dishwashing gig and passing on it when they said they'd think about giving me 8 dollars if I didn't break any dishes the first few weeks

If people didn't have to work both these jobs at the same time back to back 40 hours a week just to be able to afford some hole in the wall and a beater vehicle, maybe more people would be willing to work them

Any temp agencies in the area?
There are probably a bunch, dude is just silver spooned as shit.

But then there is the problem of looking like a flukey shit when you have 5 jobs in a year that all last 1-3 months because you take shitty temporary jobs and move on to something slightly less shitty.

He could be smart and put the name of the temporary service that referred him to the jobs and put it down as a year long employment.

This is the part that gets me with dude. It's like okay, mom and daddy are paying your rent and elec bill. But you never have money to do anything. Then he talks about how he can't seem to get a girlfriend. Like no shit, you sit at home all the time because you don't have any fucking money! $10 might not be fucking glamorous but take that shit as you "wait" for that high paying job to fall in your lap.

RP912

Banned

This is where you disguised that shit the best way possible on the resume. I remember folks that came through my door having job experiences dated in friggin 2004 and some that had little to none experience in the work field period...what I would do is try to tell a story in the resumes I help create for them.

For instance: For temp agencies I put down the actual company that they are working for and use strong points in the bullets to make it seem elegant rather than shit. The main reason why employers get the screw face about shitty temp jobs because it comes off shitty on paper rather than a job to get by.

Bottom line...make the shittiest looking job look like a career on the resume.

Kreed

Why did they have to be doing anything? Work world is pretty conflicted with itself and its intent, which used to be to get shit done, now it's to look like you're working.

The biggest issue is jobs assuming that something is wrong with you if you have a long period of not having any jobs/work and either "looking" for something wrong with you or just writing you off as damaged goods.

RP912

Banned
10 dollars a hour is still baller status in my eye. Hell 8 something sounds amazing than zero. I had to suck up my pride with the job I'm still waiting on for orientation from being a Computer Instructor which I ended up getting played because "we still within the budget"...but they can afford computers and Lexus'es with the stupid customized name tags that says "purr" on them.

I look at it as a blessing rather than a setback because I endured three plus years of unemployment and that does something to you in so many ways. It makes you appreciate a simple job and not take anything for granted. It sucked when you constantly looking in a small ass town where it's College kids first...then people who know somebody second.

RP912

Banned
The biggest issue is jobs assuming that something is wrong with you if you have a long period of not having any jobs/work and either "looking" for something wrong with you or just writing you off as damaged goods.

Pretty much. Gaps in employment history suck so much because employers think that you are a slacker and quick to write you off. In SOME cases its not much of an issue, but more of "what you are doing during that process". In that case it's important to put in anything that looks like volunteer work or even educational purposes. If you put down a job that's in 2012, plus have gaps in-between 2012 and 2010 without any effort of covering up the potholes...of course a employer going to make paper airplanes with the resume if you're lucky they even do that :/

jWILL253

Banned
$10 is survivable if you're single with no kids and have no obligations other than (relatively low) rent or utilities. But that's just it, it's only survivable. If you add a car in the mix, shit starts to get messy. Add in any secondary necessities like home internet or a cellphone, and you're really pushing your luck.

KumaJG

$10 is survivable depending on where you live. I imagine in the South that's more than enough. The North is a different story.

RP912

Banned
$10 is survivable depending on where you live. I imagine in the South that's more than enough. The North is a different story.

Bingo!

In the south it's like hitting the lottery but up north...you barely hitting the surface if you have a family.

Would you guys mind looking over my resume, actually? I'll PM whoever wants to take a look. I just whipped it up the other night now that I've got to look for some steady full-time employment to get through college.

Kreed

I'm assuming he's in Florida, in which case 10 dollars isn't great, particularly South Florida. But it really shouldn't matter since he's at home anyway and not paying bills. He should just take the job for the experience/resume filler and to get some money in his pocket. Plus it's better to job hunt while you have something.

FyreWulff

When you have 0$ you basically just start to run faster than the speed of poor, before the information from the strugglewaves catches up to reality.

Kraftwerk

Decided to google strugglewaves, this came up;

tumblr_mmt67apJsh1rqcu9eo1_500.jpg

RedSwirl

But what about when minimum rent for one bedroom where you live is $2000 a month?

royalan

Yo, we have GOT to do something about these damn ads.

Now, I'll have it be known that I don't have ANY issues with slow healing sores, or sores of any kind. This boy wraps it up and gets tested on the regular. So I don't know what fucked up thread I clicked into that's causing this, but I'm sitting here eating my dinner, refreshed GAF and damn-near vomited:

xRnBM1a.png

My mom's side of the family makes me wonder sometimes

People doing some Macgyver shit with no money.

Blackish giving out the secret of The Nod.

The nod is the weird black cultural phenomenon and I have no idea where it came from.

Yo, we have GOT to do something about these damn ads.

Now, I'll have it be known that I don't have ANY issues with slow healing sores, or sores of any kind. This boy wraps it up and gets tested on the regular. So I don't know what fucked up thread I clicked into that's causing this, but I'm sitting here eating my dinner, refreshed GAF and damn-near vomited:]

I have some law stuff. That's on you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom