• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT8| Hands Up, Don't Shoot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kreed

The latter. My honest opinion is that her videos aren't all that great and often go for low hanging fruit that is common in bad storytelling regardless of the genre, in order to kickstart a discussion. These things definitely should be addressed and talked about but I don't think she does a very good job of it. This is also the first time I've expressed an opinion on her videos and I haven't posted in any of the threads (nor do I have any intention of starting to).

A lot of self-identified gamers appear to go bat shit insane over every perceived slight and foam at the mouth especially when a game they like is featured. So her name has become synonymous with a messy topic altogether.

Her videos have gotten progressively better (the newest one being one of her best IMO), but like you said, the quality of her videos have never mattered to her most vocal critics.

gawd damn

smang-it-o.gif

In the words of Riovane. ... Robobitch all the way folk. All the Fucking way.

Cocaine is still treated like a hardcore drug problem, even though it's used overwhelmingly by white people. And black people only slightly beat them out in crack use.

I think California copped to some of the problems in 2013 and allowed cocaine and other drugs to be treated like LSD: instead of an instant felony, owners can be charged with felony or misdemeanor.

Black people are disproportionately hit in stops, arrests, and sentencing, so it's still a huge problem.

Misdemeanors will keep you from working these days, too.

This Michael Brown case, and the increasingly disturbing attempts at assassinating his character made me pose you guys this question.

If you were to suffer an "untimely death" at the hands of a policeman, and they were digging up things you had said, done, etc, what's the worst that they would say about you?

Ignoring more personal things like things spoken in private to close friends or your browser history

edit: As for me, probably just that I liked rap music...and probably that I have a couple hundred (possible up to $1k) in parking tickets

"He apparently wrote numerous songs about how much he hated God. He was possibly a reverse racist, and also had far left radical politics"

"He also both played, and developed extremely violent video games"

brb, taking my website down. haha

Jado

Banned
I don't think I've seen any of her videos. I should check them out. I see her video titles and go "...yea that happens a lot." Does she just go too hard in the paint for nerds to accept or does the very acknowledgment of these things trip people up?

To give you an idea of how bad it gets, this had to be inserted into the OP of several Anita threads:

Mod Edit:
For your reference, here's a brief list of things that aren't particularly relevant to discussion here:
-these videos take a long time
-these videos probably cost less than $140k to make
-these videos/the Kickstarter are making/made Sarkeesian money
-these videos are only presenting Sarkeesian's side of the argument
-Sarkeesian wears makeup/earrings/whatever the fuck
-Sarkeesian turned off comments to her videos
-Sarkeesian wants to make money
-Sarkeesian is not a being of pure virtue, making videos solely to help humanity with no gain accruing to herself
-Sarkeesian likes/wants attention/death threats/whatever

After the above and numerous shit posts became bannable, idiots switched over to vague and petty complaints: her tone, dissecting her wording, accusing her of "laziness," too many gaming examples/not enough examples, she's not the right person to start this discussion, now is not the right time to discuss this, people are talking about this too much and I'm tired of it, not just video games do this bad thing, more important stuff happening in the world, etc.

I think this last couple examples hit critical mass this past year across GAF and now people finally paying for doing that derail shit.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
This last video did highlight the fact that a lot of games are doing the bullshit "set piece to make your character feel like a big righteous HERO" type deal. Which is not only stale but very hamfisted thanks to how often it's been replicated. In regards to setting and storytelling this is extremely lazy and it would be good to see women in more active roles in all games, but especially sandbox games where too many NPCs are just "random hooker you can stand up for" etc.

Gattsu25

Banned
This Michael Brown case, and the increasingly disturbing attempts at assassinating his character made me pose you guys this question.

If you were to suffer an "untimely death" at the hands of a policeman, and they were digging up things you had said, done, etc, what's the worst that they would say about you?

Ignoring more personal things like things spoken in private to close friends or your browser history

edit: As for me, probably just that I liked rap music...and probably that I have a couple hundred (possible up to $1k) in parking tickets
My GAF posting history alone was enough to dissuade me from ever considering public office.

Mumei

mumei

watching monster now

:D

To give you an idea of how bad it gets, this had to be inserted into the OP of several Anita threads:

Mod Edit:
For your reference, here's a brief list of things that aren't particularly relevant to discussion here:
-these videos take a long time
-these videos probably cost less than $140k to make
-these videos/the Kickstarter are making/made Sarkeesian money
-these videos are only presenting Sarkeesian's side of the argument
-Sarkeesian wears makeup/earrings/whatever the fuck
-Sarkeesian turned off comments to her videos
-Sarkeesian wants to make money
-Sarkeesian is not a being of pure virtue, making videos solely to help humanity with no gain accruing to herself
-Sarkeesian likes/wants attention/death threats/whatever

After the above and numerous shit posts became bannable, idiots switched over to vague and petty complaints: her tone, dissecting her wording, accusing her of "laziness," too many gaming examples/not enough examples, she's not the right person to start this discussion, now is not the right time to discuss this, people are talking about this too much and I'm tired of it, not just video games do this bad thing, more important stuff happening in the world, etc.

I love that list. We should have enacted it after the first damn topic, but oh well. Better late than never.

Trey

So that's two movies this year wherein Scarlett Johansson becomes an avatar of vast information and intelligence. One is good, one sucks.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I don't think I've seen any of her videos. I should check them out. I see her video titles and go "...yea that happens a lot." Does she just go too hard in the paint for nerds to accept or does the very acknowledgment of these things trip people up?

It's literally the most basic shit, but people act like she is out there trying to advocate the mandatory use of penis guillotines or some shit.

She goes "here is a thing that happens a lot to female video game characters", gives a bunch of examples, a little context about why she thinks it's bad, spends a couple minutes talking about counter-arguments on a basic level, and maybe gives an example of a way to do something better. That's it.

If anything, there's not enough to the videos. The fact that people act like there's a Threat to the Future of All Video Games every time she puts something out on youtube is goddamn ridiculous.

RedSwirl

Almost gave me a seizure with the fucking shaky camera.

I don't hate shaky camera as much as most people do, but I was all wtf about that weird motion blur camera they tried to do like twice in the movie. It looked like they were trying to do a video game camera mode or something.

can I stay at your place? Ya know, until the heat dies down a bit? I don't take up much space, just give me a bag of struggle noodles and hot sauce, you won't even know I was there

This ain't no soup kitchen. Got no CupNoodle to spare....but if you have any extra seasoning packets we might be able to strike a mutually beneficial deal.

lol

i don't think people's imaginations are so bad that they can't find a few ways to perversely twist 'socially awkward' into potentially violent

ever been rejected by a girl? with a few bullet points and out of context quotes - you tried to rape her. gj bro

Also true. But A) I'm not really that awkward and B) that's the white kid angle.

Sitting here thinking about our ol' pal JC before the "incident"...like damn, I just saw him post earlier today. His mom is gonna flip when she gets the news, she might just outright deny his existence.....I can't blame her, she still has other kids to think about.

RN4w7hF.gif

Can't help but blame myself...there had to be something I could have done, but dude was too reckless with his keyboard and they came for him. They didn't have to do him like that though, he didn't even get to play the new Smash man, he was so hype for that game.

pray.jpeg

I'll see you on the otherside old friend. No more tears JC, no more Ls, just eternal rest now. In heaven the Wii U's entire catalogue is already released and Jesus never selects your favorite MK8 character before you can pick them.

In death, may you find the peace that alluded you in life.

wkuk___crying_at_the_funeral_by_vaughnstump-d3isla0.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom