• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT8| Hands Up, Don't Shoot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Shocking image from Taylor Swift's dark past present:

i92n6NaSkCobd.gif

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
Middle school we had this email system throughout all of our students and I copy pasted the zero wing speech and sent it to everyone. my school thought it was a terrorist threat and I got suspended.

Sooooooo...I could be that?

Yep. You're a terrorist Silky.

Jado

Banned
Vermont Quits War on Drugs to Treat Heroin Abuse as Health Issue
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=127002587&posted=1#post127002587

Of course this had to happen when it finally became mainstream knowledge that it's always been white people who abuse the drug in large numbers. When it was considered a "black problem" (an old myth btw), the standard course of treatment was a healthy dose of years in prison. It seems we never treat people humanely until whites are affected.

Am I wrong though? News like this is "good," but it gets me angry because it's come about from the same line of reasoning that explains why marijuana use continues to gain political ground (whites are using!) and why crack still carries severe punishment ("black problem!").

Heroin was shown to be a favorite of suburban moms who can't refill their prescriptions. So yea, when the problem goes from nameless faceless junkies who need to be locked away from society, to middle class moms or the lady who carpool'd the kids to practice every other week etc. People get sympathetic instead of angry and spiteful.

I don't know how weed is perceived in other places, in LA it's almost assumed you do it if you're between 18-30. It's not nearly as socially accepted as alcohol yet but in the last 10 years or so it has made pretty big strides towards that.

Am I wrong though? News like this is "good," but it gets me angry because it's come about from the same line of reasoning that explains why marijuana use continues to gain political ground (whites are using!) and why crack still carries severe punishment ("black problem!").

Cocaine is still treated like a hardcore drug problem, even though it's used overwhelmingly by white people. And black people only slightly beat them out in crack use.

I think California copped to some of the problems in 2013 and allowed cocaine and other drugs to be treated like LSD: instead of an instant felony, owners can be charged with felony or misdemeanor.

Black people are disproportionately hit in stops, arrests, and sentencing, so it's still a huge problem.

Damn Moris you aint found a job yet? I swear that was half a year ago you left

your girl know you eatin struggle noodles like a college freshman?

Damn Moris you aint found a job yet? I swear that was half a year ago you left

your girl know you eatin struggle noodles like a college freshman?

I have experience but no degree (yet), every interview waiting room I've been in has had giant pools of candidates (binders full even). I take a seat next to hard-ons who have degrees (but can't dress themselves) and grown-ass adults who have decades of experience and graduated when I was debating N64 Vs. PS1 on the playground.

Game is fucked cause everyone's trying to get underemployed. I haven't had any luck taking a step down either. I'm gonna have to start lying in these interviews. Last interview I had (basic Accounts Payable/Receivable gig at a real estate office) I killed every question. Not sure if I mentioned it but I'm a licensed realtor and dabbled for a bit. So I was talking to them about real estate for a bit and went over my experience with A/R and they were really impressed until I slipped up and told the truth about my pay history and their body language was like "bruh....get out"

This Michael Brown case, and the increasingly disturbing attempts at assassinating his character made me pose you guys this question.

If you were to suffer an "untimely death" at the hands of a policeman, and they were digging up things you had said, done, etc, what's the worst that they would say about you?

Ignoring more personal things like things spoken in private to close friends or your browser history

he had a lot of parking tickets in college.

impossibru.

AfroMW

I have experience but no degree (yet), every interview waiting room I've been in has had giant pools of candidates (binders full even). I take a seat next to hard-ons who have degrees (but can't dress themselves) and grown-ass adults who have decades of experience and graduated when I was debating N64 Vs. PS1 on the playground.

Game is fucked cause everyone's trying to get underemployed. I haven't had any luck taking a step down either. I'm gonna have to start lying in these interviews. Last interview I had (basic Accounts Payable/Receivable gig at a real estate office) I killed every question. Not sure if I mentioned it but I'm a licensed realtor and dabbled for a bit. So I was talking to them about real estate for a bit and went over my experience with A/R and they were really impressed until I slipped up and told the truth about my pay history and their body language was like "bruh....get out"

Do what you have to do, as long as its not ridiculous it should be alright.

New Sarkeesian video? Time to avoid gaming side for a few days.

I don't think I've seen any of her videos. I should check them out. I see her video titles and go "...yea that happens a lot." Does she just go too hard in the paint for nerds to accept or does the very acknowledgment of these things trip people up?

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I don't think I've seen any of her videos. I should check them out. I see her video titles and go "...yea that happens a lot." Does she just go too hard in the paint for nerds to accept or does the very acknowledgment of these things trip people up?
The latter. My honest opinion is that her videos aren't all that great and often go for low hanging fruit that is common in bad storytelling regardless of the genre, in order to kickstart a discussion. These things definitely should be addressed and talked about but I don't think she does a very good job of it. This is also the first time I've expressed an opinion on her videos and I haven't posted in any of the threads (nor do I have any intention of starting to).

A lot of self-identified gamers appear to go bat shit insane over every perceived slight and foam at the mouth especially when a game they like is featured. So her name has become synonymous with a messy topic altogether.

Silky

Banned
Lilo and Stitch has some of the wierdest character design/art direction for a Disney film. Even for an early 00s Disney film.

The women in the film got some goddamn /hips/

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Lilo and Stitch has some of the wierdest character design/art direction for a Disney film. Even for an early 00s Disney film.

The women in the film got some goddamn /hips/

dude's portfolio is straight pr0n

I lol'd

damn the struggle is real out here

Yeah, there's practically zero straight lines or right angles on anybody in that movie, all soft, pudgy, round people. The character designer, Chris Sanders, only got to work on that one movie before they put him on this new movie called "American Dog". Lasseter didn't like it, Sanders disagreed and left for Dreamworks, where was the head designer behind How to Train Your Dragon. Its pretty obvious that Toothless came from the same mind who did Stitch, too. The sharp white teeth, huge expressive eyes, big flat ears you can move around, etc

"American Dog" became "Bolt" btw, so that turned out pretty well for everyone I suppose

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy

People get upset at the very acknowledgment of it.

Honestly, it's like...even if she's not "the best" and some of her examples are a bit shaky, so fucking what? Everyone has played enough games to know she's not wrong. It's fucking comical how mad people get over some of the shit she brings up.

This recent episode is her best, by far though.

That's always been the case. Reform only really happens when it becomes a "white problem" unless the white problem is "the black problem". Read up on how the NRA used to be for gun control because of the Black Panthers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom