• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT8| Hands Up, Don't Shoot

Status
Not open for further replies.

jWILL253

Banned
It's not exactly comforting when your concerns are compared to something else~ especially not when it feels like you're being undermined.

This happens all the time in feminism threads. It's really frustrating.

Word.

Funny, though. This kind of thing happens all the time with every sort of quantifiable injustice.

I wonder if we're all arguing the same points, but the biggest point of contention is about which injustice is bigger than the others. And, to me, it's a bit of a pointless discussion to have.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Word.

Funny, though. This kind of thing happens all the time with every sort of quantifiable injustice.

I wonder if we're all arguing the same points, but the biggest point of contention is about which injustice is bigger than the others. And, to me, it's a bit of a pointless discussion to have.

That's exactly what this is not about. This is not oppression olympics.

Its hypocrisy. Straight up.

We is are own worst enemy.

Whelp its been real.

bruce-banner-hitchhiking-o.gif

Mortemis

Banned
Damn, shit's going down. Might as well jump in.

bct is not a monolith. we have different opinions, and we should be able to talk about them without putting things on the chopping block.

devo don't leave us <#

This. While I have made a joke about Taylor's body shape, I get what you're talking about with being a hypocrite Devo. No need to leave when people are really learning from it.

It's not exactly comforting when your concerns are compared to something else~ especially not when it feels like you're being undermined.

This too, while saying you're agreeing, it's like you're basically disagreeing when saying it's not as big when brought up against something else. It's an easy way of discounting someone's opinion and I can see why she took offense to that. I see it a lot in controversial threads and it's not a good look.

literally sounding like the same people who are looking for the good ones

doesn't even realize the patronizing tone

its not me being a dick, its you not letting me help you understand your own plight

May this be the most carefully thought out response that I've ever posted on NeoGAF...

I don't intend to be patronizing. In fact, many of these discussions always seem to turn out differently than I've expected. A lot of it is my own fault... I can't seem to communicate ideas here as well as I can in real life.

All that said, I had already accepted pretty much everything Devo was arguing with me about. I don't know why I decided to continue that line of discussion instead of saying that, but it's what it is. In my past few posts, I have already said the following:

A) Body shaming is wrong
B) Women should not be body shamed in either direction

You can look for yourself, if you like. But where the wires got crossed is when I responded to her response to a post that was directed at someone else entirely. I was specifically criticizing the reasoning that we have used to ameliorate remarks from black people that criticized white people that popped up once we started the discussion on skinny shaming.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
I think we all need to go outside for a pack of cigarettes and some milk. It's been a raw few weeks. Months. Years. Decades.

Take a break. Eat some orange slices. Hash shit out via PM (highly recommended, btw). Think about what talking past each other - even if that's not your intent - does to the conversation in the long run.

Come back in the morning. We'll reopen for business then.

So Wally West would really crush the Hulk free?

Wally West is goddamn broken.

So yeah. On that note, I seriously wonder what writers are thinking when they let Deathstroke tag a Flash. It came up in an old battle thread that I was reading, and people were taking it seriously for some reason.

Jado

Banned
Vermillion, thin women who have been shamed are done so in a similar and brutal fashion to heavier women. The pain and humiliation is one and the same. You're drawing up faulty comparisons to MRAS whose biggest complaints are about dumb dads in commercials, a biased court system most never even dealt with, and perceived "reverse discrimination." It's a far cry from the historic problems faced by pretty much all women. Devo's experiences mirror my gf's when she was a skinny kid, when she became overweight as a teen and again when she became thin as an adult. You shouldn't trivialize those real and negative experiences because someone potentially has it worse. And don't compare it to fuckery along the lines of guys who bitch about affirmative action at work stealing "their" jobs.

IrishNinja

slayven are you reading GotG? they keep hinting at some sinister shit for where symbiotes come from, but i distinctly remember a thoroughly mediocre-ass Planet of the Symbiotes mini in the 90's. is there anything beyond that?

Slayven

Like I'd risk being known as the friend of 'that guy who adds skyy to his wine glass'
Oppose you talking about what vintage Olde English you love.

So Wally West would really crush the Hulk free?

Wally West is goddamn broken.

So yeah. On that note, I seriously wonder what writers are thinking when they let Deathstroke tag a Flash. It came up in an old battle thread that I was reading, and people were taking it seriously for some reason.
Personally I would write it with Hulk breaking the Speed Force and the fight ends in a stalemate.

slayven are you reading GotG? they keep hinting at some sinister shit for where symbiotes come from, but i distinctly remember a thoroughly mediocre-ass Planet of the Symbiotes mini in the 90's. is there anything beyond that?

Well other then that crazy symbiote showing up a few years ago, they haven't said much about them. Can't be worse then Dire Wraths or War Wolves.

Vermillion, thin women who have been shamed are done so in a similar and brutal fashion to heavier women. The pain and humiliation is one and the same. You're drawing up faulty comparisons to MRAS whose biggest complaints are about dumb dads in commercials, a biased court system most never even dealt with, and perceived "reverse discrimination." It's a far cry from the historic problems faced by pretty much all women. Devo's experiences mirror my gf's when she was a skinny kid, when she became overweight as a teen and again when she became thin as an adult. You shouldn't trivialize those real and negative experiences because someone potentially has it worse. And don't compare it to fuckery along the lines of guys who bitch about affirmative action at work stealing "their" jobs.

I'm not and I'm not. Again - I'm not a woman, and so I understand how it affects women differently... but I have received the same comments - I have a fast metabolism, you see (faster still when I was younger).

What I really, really want to stress that I'm not playing oppression olympics, or ignoring the plight of others. I'm saying that in those specific instances (i.e., if a comment has ruined your day, etc.) we've used the same argument against other people. If nothing else, can we acknowledge that?

Jado

Banned
I refrain as much as possible from doing that nowadays. If a person posts tough experiences with prejudice, like how they were viciously picked on as the only white kid in a majority black/hispanic school, I'm not gonna go into the thread and say boohoo, suck it up. That's just shitty. I will take issue if there's an agenda behind the story such as claims of black people being worse when it comes to racism, whites have it just as bad, etc. Also will call out BS comparisons like "a cop pulled me over/was rude to me once, not racist, deal with it."

Edit: really, guys? Gtfo, we should be able to discuss anything.

#dead

we got body image issues killing the BCT

stick it in a new thread or pm.

Part of the reason the thread was reopened tonight was because we all agreed that we should be able to have civil disagreements.

I refrain as much as possible from doing that nowadays. If a person posts tough experiences with prejudice, like how they were viciously picked on as the only white kid in a majority black/hispanic school, I'm not gonna go into the thread and say boohoo, suck it up. That's just shitty. I will take issue if there's an agenda behind the story such as claims of black people being worse when it comes to racism, whites have it just as bad, etc. Also will call out BS comparisons like "a cop pulled me over/was rude to me once, not racist, deal with it."

Edit: really, guys? Gtfo, we should be able to discuss anything.

Okay, then... We agree here.

ChamplooJones

Formerly Momotaro
I just got home and read the last few pages. I don't even...

Some of y'all are doin' the same thing that I see cats do in real life. Championing the Melyssa Ford/Scarlett Johanssen body type and shaming others that don't appeal to your standards. But when someone says they don't consider you type to be attractive you loose your shit. You can't have it both ways breh.

I learned this the hard way when I was in middle school and I threw shade at a big girl on the bus. Mom and older sister both gave me the talk about female body types and I never pulled that shit again. My family on my mom's side is mainly female and they always made sure the guys in the family were up to snuff when it comes to this topic.

What really kills me (and I'm guilty of this myself) is when dudes smite a certain group for their drama(Gaming and OT for example), then goes back to their little click and participates in the same shit. Pot and kettle at it's core.

BCT is one of the main reasons I wanted join gaf. So let's pray that what just happened will never happen again and move on.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Part of the reason the thread was reopened tonight was because we all agreed that we should be able to have civil disagreements.
This. I was wrong to jump the gun, despite my intentions being in the right place. For that, I apologize.

Keep airing it out as you see fit. Just keep it civil. Thanks.

DY_nasty

Of course a white woman would be the downfall of the black culture thread.
how many websites are you trolling at the same time right now
I just got home and read the last few pages. I don't even...

Some of y'all are doin' the same thing that I see cats do in real life. Championing the Melyssa Ford/Scarlett Johanssen body type and shaming others that don't appeal to your standards. But when someone says they don't consider you type to be attractive you loose your shit. You can't have it both ways breh.

I learned this the hard way when I was in middle school and I threw shade at a big girl on the bus. Mom and older sister both gave me the talk about female body types and I never pulled that shit again. My family on my mom's side is mainly female and they always made sure the guys in the family were up to snuff when it comes to this topic.

What really kills me (and I'm guilty of this myself) is when dudes smite a certain group for their drama(Gaming and OT for example), then goes back to their little click and participates in the same shit. Pot and kettle at it's core.

BCT is one of the main reasons I wanted join gaf. So let's pray that what just happened will never happen again and move on.

bolded is exactly what it is

and the thing is, its been brought up before. yal can't hate on the OT then act the same way.

DY_nasty

i'd really hate to see your spot get blown up like that, pd

it'd be a damn shame

Disagreements shouldn't be the end of convos here. Talk it out.

I'm guilty of talking shit on Swift a couple pages back and yea Vermilion zigged when he shoulda zagged but he wasn't hostile or aggressive about it

Mortemis

Banned
Yeah, we should be talking about this shit if we can. One of the criticisms about this thread is treating it like a safe haven from OT but it shouldn't be like that, we should be able to talk about these issues here, whether its about how this thread works or other issues.

how many websites are you trolling at the same time right now

lmao.

Damn these next two weeks need to fly quick. When the highlight of your day is a damn leak and a teaser about two games you ain't playing for a while, shit sucks. Bring on Destiny so I can at least lose myself in some good shit before schools starts up again.

My only pet peeve with BCT is when we have some ignorance about race/women whatever in OT…some people never post in those threads yet talk in BCT.

It's the internet, they're not going to hurt you. Engage in discussion, talking behind their backs isn't going to change their viewpoints.

RP912

Banned
Smash bros is really whats popping in the streets?

I tried to get into that series and failed miserably. Smash melee was dope tho...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom