• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT8| Hands Up, Don't Shoot

Status
Not open for further replies.

akira28

random work related questions.

How to do you bring up complaints against your superiors without catching backlash?
Does anyone have a grievance letter template?

all I know is if I have a grievance, depending on the superior, I will just leave. I got caught in a sting by the damn HR Ombudsman, telling her my problems late in the night cause she told me to call her. Guess what the topic of the meeting with my superior was? A nice packet of info and complete company responses, while the HR lady was on her plane back to her compound in Hawaii.

Oh yes. We have crabs in hawaii. long claws too. She was a sister in a rare position, my boss was a white cuban woman who made all sorts of insensitive comments, and she still did me dirty.

Gorillaz

all I know is if I have a grievance, depending on the superior, I will just leave. I got caught in a sting by the damn HR Ombudsman, telling her my problems late in the night cause she told me to call her. Guess what the topic of the meeting with my superior was?

your rapcar being parked out front?

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Y'all getting too srs

what do you even do

random work related questions.

How to do you bring up complaints against your superiors without catching backlash?
Does anyone have a grievance letter template?
Do you mind posting a little bit more than that? I'm typically in favor of calling HR to get a feel for their process ahead of time and everything but every work environment is different.

KumaJG

well devo caught me off guard.

agree. optimally, women of all sizes wouldn't be at odds. I know I'm an equal opportunity velociraptor.

bbb.gif

If we're talking about men, sure (the bolded). But we're talking specifically about women. It's why you have bulimic women who try to maintain their image. It's why so many women worry about whether or not they're fat. It's why in All About That Bass, there is a line that goes:

Go ahead and tell them skinny bitches that
No I'm just playing. I know you think you're fat
But I'm here to tell ya
Every inch of you is perfect from the bottom to the top

Whereas eating orders in the opposite direction are less likely to be concerned with image issues.

With regards to your girlfriend... how many times have people here sought to ameliorate words spoken by black people because "we need to understand the culture that caused it?" I mean, sure we acknowledge that it's wrong (and your girlfriend shouldn't be treated that way), but does that really compare to the plight of fat women in your mind? Does being skinny keep them from participating in contests? Are their bodies fetished instead of treated as the norm? Do they have genuine trouble in the dating world despite their personalities? No, the worst thing that happens (that I can glean from your post) is that they get a few comments or looks tossed their way. And if we're speaking on hypocrisy, how many times has someone in this thread said that "if the worst thing that has happened to you today is [insert image/comment here], then you're still pretty privileged," or something along those lines?

Real talk, it looks like exactly the same sort of reasoning that we've decried time and time again.

EDIT: Anyways, I get what you're saying in that body shaming in any direction shouldn't fly. I respect that, and on a lighter note, I have seen women with smaller asses twerk well, so I will not attack Taylor for having a small ass. Particularly since it's not something I care about with regards to a woman anyways, attractive as an ass may be. I respect all of that. But of course, the more important part is not my preferences, but treating all body types with respect. I'm all for that.

My only issue here is that there seems to be double standards with regards to how we treat these issues.

I've been given shit for being skinny since elementary school by everyone. Not even trying to equalize my plight with being fat, because that's shittier. But let's leave that alone for a second. When you get all kinds of leers, passive aggressive comments from everyone you fucking know about eating a sandwich, "trying to fatten you up", "don't you eat", "wow you're so tiny", it gets fucking old and you don't really care that this group over here has a worse plight because people are still being assholes, and these people include friends, family, boyfriends. At the end of the day you feel like you're a fucking loser and then you get "well society/the media encourages being your size so why are you crying?"

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
You don't have an HR to go through?

they're useless and sadly almost all of the people that occupy positions of power at my job are as well. Truth be told I don't know if I should even take action on this bs because it's been time for me to move on anyway.

Akiras avatar is disturbing

yeah, what the heck is that thing ?

I've been given shit for being skinny since elementary school by everyone. Not even trying to equalize my plight with being fat, because that's shittier. But let's leave that alone for a second. When you get all kinds of leers, passive aggressive comments from everyone you fucking know about eating a sandwich, "trying to fatten you up", "don't you eat", "wow you're so tiny", it gets fucking old and you don't really care that this group over here has a worse plight because people are still being assholes, and these people include friends, family, boyfriends. At the end of the day you feel like you're a fucking loser and then you get "well society/the media encourages being your size so why are you crying?"

I understand the bolded. So I'm saying we have to start treating other issues differently, or ignore this one. Because it is dissonant.

As for the italicized... I can sympathize, though only as far as a male can.

KumaJG

they're useless and sadly almost all of the people that occupy positions of power at my job are as well. Truth be told I don't know if I should even take action on this bs because it's been time for me to move on anyway.

yeah, what the heck is that thing ?

dominique jackson I think.

Weight thing hits on a personal level for Devo? Thats interesting

I understand the bolded. So I'm saying we have to start treating other issues differently, or ignore this one. Because it is dissonant.

As for the italicized... I can sympathize, though only as far as a male can.

I'm saying it's the same issue. Women's bodies are open for public critique no matter the size.

RedSwirl

Man I can't keep up with this social media shit. I pretty much dropped Facebook years ago and still ain't got time for twitter and BCT (that's literally it).

I'm saying it's the same issue. Women's bodies are open for public critique no matter the size.

That's true. But we are specifically talking about the idea of body shaming of women (particularly fat shaming vs skinny shaming). It is similar to the comparison between feminism and black feminism. Actually, that's a really good comparison because this image exists:

The image is relevant because you *can* put it all under the umbrella of women's issues, but the fact of the matter is that one group has been treated worse.

We are talking about whether or not the reasoning we've used here to attack skinny shaming is the same that we've used to attack other issues.

ishibear

is a goddamn bear

That's true. Btw, I can empathize. Throughout elementary and middle school I was picked on for being skinny and called tall giraffe girl among other nasty names. Some of the worst times of my life.

I just try not to be selfish... weight is a very sensitive topic for all women. I want to stand up for all women so I don't really like to take sides. My sister was pretty heavy and she got some of the worst insults too. In the end, it's still society trying to control women's bodies. Now that I think of it, it probably does need to be talked about more often.

Edit: Devo... :(

DY_nasty

it feels like shits going off all over the board today. is there something n the air?

dumb shit

yal complain about the OT then do the same shit here

"let me tell you what WE are talking about, offended party - here, have some pictures."

that doesn't look familiar to anyone?

lol

God damnit I'm done.

You're comparing this shit to MRA crap really?

Fuckin' outta here.

No, I'm comparing it to feminism and black feminism, hence the image. I've been as polite as possible throughout the discussion, and I have directly pointed out the similarities between the types of reasoning used.

I have consistently respected you, and your viewpoint, and the idea that people should not be body shamed period. I have never been disingenuous nor disrespectful. But if you want to catch feelings over that, go right the fuck ahead.

akira28

bct is not a monolith. we have different opinions, and we should be able to talk about them without putting things on the chopping block.

devo don't leave us <#

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
Devo... ignorant ass male here. What exactly is making you so upset?

It's not exactly comforting when your concerns are compared to something else~ especially not when it feels like you're being undermined.

This happens all the time in feminism threads. It's really frustrating.

DY_nasty

did i not bring this up a year ago and nobody heard me

no no no. i heard you - and tried

heard bish - tried again

but fuck it. not my problem anymore. i'm a full-time hater now
ibbpKaUrT5koPz.gif

somebody else can fix em. i'm going to hawaii

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
dumb shit

yal complain about the OT then do the same shit here

"let me tell you what WE are talking about, offended party - here, have some pictures."

that doesn't look familiar to anyone?

lol

whelp, if this is the way its to go down, im gonna sit here with my flute

DY_nasty

No, I'm comparing it to feminism and black feminism, hence the image. I've been as polite as possible throughout the discussion, and I have directly pointed out the similarities between the types of reasoning used.

I have consistently respected you, and your viewpoint, and the idea that people should not be body shamed period. I have never been disingenuous nor disrespectful. But if you want to catch feelings over that, go right the fuck ahead.

literally sounding like the same people who are looking for the good ones

doesn't even realize the patronizing tone

its not me being a dick, its you not letting me help you understand your own plight

KumaJG

wait what just happened. this remind me of the moment when teachers hit you with random pop quizzes and you know damn well you haven't been keeping up with the material.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom