• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT8| Hands Up, Don't Shoot

Status
Not open for further replies.

royalan

Roy trying to make me nostalgic.

I still love Brandy. <3

Her last album was slept-on but fantastic. She continues to grow musically, even though she's not really in the spotlight anymore.

Her character was such a knowitall and an asshole. The episode with the Black and Hispanic race riot was on the other day.

That was a hard episode to watch when it aired. Especially because I grew up in LA and being in middle school at the time it was really spot on to what some of the occasional tension was like between Black and Hispanic groups in school.

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
Her character was such a knowitall and an asshole. The episode with the Black and Hispanic race riot was on the other day.

I can never catch it. I should try Netflix.

what is Brandy up to these days?

She was on Oprah a few weeks ago iirc.

@Roy

You mean her album Human? I thought it was a big improvement over Aphrodisiac, but it wasn't Full Moon fantastic. I loved that entire CD. Still Human had some amazing tracks.

Trey

Just found out about this Taylor Townsend girl. I thought Sloan Stephens was the new guard.

Good to see such representation in the sport. Men's gotta pick up the slack.

We can make fun of her awkwardness, bad dancing and questionable appropriation without shaming her body.

Well, it was a joke and I don't care one way or another (since I do think Taylor is beautiful and makes great music), but the responses make me think...

(My thoughts inside, don't click if you don't want to read 'em):
When did "skinny shaming" become a thing, precisely? I haven't seen it until the anti fat-shaming movement started. I think of it even more because I had a discussion with a friend the other day, and she was saying that in the past (and she believes in the present as well) skinny women were pretty much the norm. Every woman wanted to be skinny because that was the media presented to them. Supermodels were thin, and fat women were discriminated against.

Now, all of a sudden you have the Louie episode on fat women and dating, Meghan Trainor's All About That Bass and Nicki Minaj's Anaconda, and now skinny shaming is a thing. I'm not as well-versed as I could be on the movement (nor do I have a stake in either side, let me be honest), but the idea of "skinny shaming" feels to me like a counter-movement in the same vein as MRAs and white culture movements. All of a sudden, the body type that's been preferred for the past few years says that they're oppressed too.

All in all, I do get the idea of not bodyshaming. It is just jokes, though, which only popped up after she started shaking her ass, just the same with Miley.

I digress, though. Taylor is still beautiful.

akira28

This. You either type on a toaster or you're a character.

And Devo is right. People get shit for making fun of Minaj and Kim K's bodies, and they deserve it.

tbh, if he's on the same tablet I have, and he's using that for GAF, that Sero7 is a typographical error generating monster.

Look. I will make fun of Taylor Swift in one sentence and
whisper slayvenous nothings in her ear while I draw her bathwater and massage mryyh oil into her shoulders
the next. I'm just playing. I'll even apologize for being wrong. But THOSE dudes are not. They will straight up say a girl outside of the "beauty standard" is disgusting and they deserve to catch hell.

edit: I also noticed the pushback trend, which...coincidentally started with fat shaming pushback. I don't mention that to say "see both sides do it too", but t point out that slim is still the desirable trait among most people, even after the Kim Kardashian Jennifer Lopez making certain levels of thickness acceptable. I still remember the house music anthems for big girls from the 90s back when they definitely needed that boost. They've had forever of being the butt of jokes. So now they wanna make jokes and it's unacceptable? Well it's understandable. Maybe they can temper the swing of the pendulum, but they weren't the ones who pushed it. Some understanding, some respect, some mutual love an body acceptance. I'm all for that. But this reaction from the 'skinnygirl' movement like they're feeling pain for the first time? I don't feel that.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
no hypocrites here just jokes... DY since you been back seem like you been allergic to fun? You alright brother?

I'm good. But if that got flipped, people here would be mad. Actually, when it was flipped - people were mad. Check any thread where a black girl or Beyonce got the "I just don't think she's attractive" spiel.

It is what it is.

Mortemis

Banned

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
It's cool. Infinite and I live for the Zim. /swag.

Invader Zim is so funny. I just saw the one with Zim stealing organs. I'm still dying.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Skinny shaming has been alive for as long as I can remember. It just wasn't in focus, because being, "skinny" was/is what the media was portraying. Now that the pendulum is sorta (as in not the hollywood norm) - kinda- swinging back in the other direction, it's coming to light. That's all anecdotal though.

At the end of the day it's policing women's bodies because it doesn't live up to some arbitrary standard. Women come in all shapes and sizes. Don't be upset with one set of standards by which others judge only to impose your own bullshit one.

There are plenty of personality flaws, cultural appropriation and being a slut shaming asshole you can denounce Swift for. You start down the road of "lol she not thick" then who the fuck are you gettin' mad when people are shaming Nicki? You're just another asshole getting mad that his own preferences are in question and you don't really give a flying fuck about anything else.

jWILL253

Banned
The "skinny slut shaming" thing is kind of funny considering women over 120 lbs have been professionally & critically shamed for decades now, even today.

I mean, it ain't like Taylor Swift's lack of rear end girth is keeping her from winning Grammy awards. Let these celebrities live...

Hit me with a reference and I bet I can give the episode! I KNOW ALL. :D

Pls tell me you seen the one with the robot mom poking that lady in the face. I'm cry

Yes, lol - that's the episode when they do the parent meet thing(?). Best part is the end. "Let me guess - nobody saw that." *throws cup* "HEY! That kid's throwing punch!"

And in that case... "But if the big splodey goes fast, won't everything get all bad?"

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
Yes, lol - that's the episode when they do the parent meet thing. Best part is the end. "Let me guess - nobody saw that." *throws cup* "HEY! That kid's throwing punch!"

And in that case... "But if the big splodey goes fast, won't everything get all bad?"

OMG YES! Dib took L's like I can't even believe.

"Won't it just explode? Just like this~ KABLAM". :D

They cancelled that show before its time

the one that still burns deep in my soul is Samurai Jack getting cancelled tho. Dude never killed Aku breh...

Wynnebeck

Banned
Call it a L or whatever, but I'm going to the Drake vs. Lil Wayne concert tomorrow and gonna wild out. We don't get many rappers that come through Virginia Beach, so like all the black population is gonna turn out to show support (sadly).

Call it a L or whatever, but I'm going to the Drake vs. Lil Wayne concert tomorrow and gonna wild out. We don't get many rappers that come through Virginia Beach, so like all the black population is gonna turn out to show support (sadly).

I... don't see how that's an L. It sounds like a good time, actually.

Jado

Banned
Skinny shaming is nothing like the MRA movement. It's been around for years, probably before fat shaming. Before American obesity reached epidemic levels, we had milk commercials along the lines of "don't be a skinny bitch, drink up." Decades earlier when obesity was rare, being skinny was the worst thing ever and nascent fitness programs were about bulking up so you weren't the loser at the beach who never got gals' attention.

My gf is naturally thin and exercises regularly. She works out at a women's gym and overheard heavier women, salty as fuck, commenting that she had no business in the gym cuz she was already "skinny." Other times, less-fit women have given her nasty looks for being in good shape and slender. Pure nonsense.

After the Lupita/People mag thread, we should know better. Yeah, it's just jokes but let's not act like we wouldn't get mad at OT doing the same and regularly clowning on brown girls' bodies like it's perfectly normal.

akira28

This is the shit that makes me not want to post here.

btw you know, you help change opinions and attitudes too. If you just quit showing up or participating, people lose out.

Jado: I don't see people clowning on white girls in general. I see people making fun of celebrities. In particular, really skinny celebrities who twerk. And if Taylor Swift was a super nice girl that everybody loved, she probably wouldn't have even caught crosshairs. People didn't even get mad at Miley because of Miley, but because of all the attention she got for inventing something people have been doing for years.

I also remember the milk commercials, though I can't remember when obesity wasn't an "American epidemic"...maybe the early 80s. Those "But I'm drinking milk" commercials were about men bulking up. The girls they wanted to get taller and stay slim.

What do I see in real life when I go out? At work or anywhere else that isn't the internet or the media? Fat shaming is still the norm, and everybody is still chasing those skinny girls. The status quo hasn't changed, just the media has a new song to sing.

if I recall: this was pretty well received

Miley-Cyrus-23-ani-gifs-03.gif
no twerk and she can get dat werk...

Skinny shaming is nothing like the MRA movement. It's been around for years, probably before fat shaming. Before American obesity reached epidemic levels, we had milk commercials along the lines of "don't be a skinny bitch, drink up." Decades earlier when obesity was rare, being skinny was the worst thing ever and nascent fitness programs were about bulking up so you weren't the loser at the beach who never got gals' attention.

My gf is naturally thin and exercises regularly. She works out at a women's gym and overheard heavier women, salty as fuck, commenting that she had no business in the gym cuz she was already "skinny." Other times, less-fit women have given her nasty looks for being in good shape and slender. Pure nonsense.

After the Lupita/People mag thread, we should know better. Yeah, it's just jokes but let's not act like we wouldn't get mad at OT doing the same and regularly clowning on brown girls' bodies like it's perfectly normal.

If we're talking about men, sure (the bolded). But we're talking specifically about women. It's why you have bulimic women who try to maintain their image. It's why so many women worry about whether or not they're fat. It's why in All About That Bass, there is a line that goes:

Go ahead and tell them skinny bitches that
No I'm just playing. I know you think you're fat
But I'm here to tell ya
Every inch of you is perfect from the bottom to the top

Whereas eating orders in the opposite direction are less likely to be concerned with image issues.

With regards to your girlfriend... how many times have people here sought to ameliorate words spoken by black people because "we need to understand the culture that caused it?" I mean, sure we acknowledge that it's wrong (and your girlfriend shouldn't be treated that way), but does that really compare to the plight of fat women in your mind? Does being skinny keep them from participating in contests? Are their bodies fetished instead of treated as the norm? Do they have genuine trouble in the dating world despite their personalities? No, the worst thing that happens (that I can glean from your post) is that they get a few comments or looks tossed their way. And if we're speaking on hypocrisy, how many times has someone in this thread said that "if the worst thing that has happened to you today is [insert image/comment here], then you're still pretty privileged," or something along those lines?

Real talk, it looks like exactly the same sort of reasoning that we've decried time and time again.

EDIT: Anyways, I get what you're saying in that body shaming in any direction shouldn't fly. I respect that, and on a lighter note, I have seen women with smaller asses twerk well, so I will not attack Taylor for having a small ass. Particularly since it's not something I care about with regards to a woman anyways, attractive as an ass may be. I respect all of that. But of course, the more important part is not my preferences, but treating all body types with respect. I'm all for that.

My only issue here is that there seems to be double standards with regards to how we treat these issues.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
random work related questions.

How to do you bring up complaints against your superiors without catching backlash?
Does anyone have a grievance letter template?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom