• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT9| More Priest, Less Hudlin

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem is that every single dev and/or fan uses the whole "the game isn't finished yet, graphics aren't final" thing as an excuse for why the graphics are sub par, but it rarely ever changes once the game goes gold. Actually, when it does happen, it goes in reverse.

Watch_Dogs was revealed as a game-changer in graphics and design. It progressively got worse the more we seen it...

Fighting Games always run at 60fps, they have to to be played properly. If Namco has to sacrifice something they will. That's why TTT2 removed background elements in stages for online to run as smoothly as it did.

BMAiL6SCQAEeiMb.jpg
Old head been saving all his Crown points for that outfit, 10 years strong with a house full of crown baggies

strobogo

Banned
That guy is evidence at black privilege. A white guy could never pull off an outfit made entirely out of Crown baggies. Where's the equality?

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
The problem is that every single dev and/or fan uses the whole "the game isn't finished yet, graphics aren't final" thing as an excuse for why the graphics are sub par, but it rarely ever changes once the game goes gold. Actually, when it does happen, it goes in reverse.

Watch_Dogs was revealed as a game-changer in graphics and design. It progressively got worse the more we seen it...

only time i can say that applied and worked was in the case of lightning returns

that shit looked turrible

DY_nasty

I finally got to play CIvilization: Beyond Earth....the addiction is real.

you're better than me

i'm about to uninstall that shit until they fix everything and stop treating the game like a crappy expansion

alpha centauri still the best civ game of all time

I've had "Tipsy in this Club" by Pretty Ricky on repeat the entire day.

Then I remembered the YT video that accompanied this song a few years ago.

*shudders*

No colors love?!

Also Adventure 1 did.not.age well.at.all
Those fishing levels

2 at least had a great OST.

Colours is the best 3D Sonic game.

Generations is a close second.

I don't like Unleashed but I'm not going to deny that the day stages were damned good.
Fuck the Werehog.
To be honest, before Boom, the last truly awful Sonic game was '06 and before that? The Adventure games and Heroes have their faults but come on, they were definitely playable games.

DY_nasty

Unity and MCC are both hilarious

damn

my dude is just perplexed right now lmao

Onemic

Fighting Games always run at 60fps, they have to to be played properly. If Namco has to sacrifice something they will. That's why TTT2 removed background elements in stages for online to run as smoothly as it did.

So why is an exception being made to T7? It's not like previous games didn't run at 60fps before and now suddenly it is. Fact is, the difference between T7 and T6 is pretty subtle in comparison to hardware jumps in the past.

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing

Wat?

RP912

Banned
you're better than me

i'm about to uninstall that shit until they fix everything and stop treating the game like a crappy expansion

alpha centauri still the best civ game of all time

True that shit but I treated the game like a kickstarter dev coming up with a mod so good it needs to be a full game.

Also I'm a Sid Meier junkie :(...dude supplies that work.

RP912

Banned
Man that 2012 e3 footage though. One thing I can say about this gen is there's so much deception you can shake a fitted cap with.

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing
First pic was e3 footage vs a LAST GEN asset. Like how is that even a comparison?

As for the second image, dunno why a modded image is being used for comparison. Wack things up to Ultra on a PC that can run it and tell me Watch_Dogs looks crap.

Anyway, specifically to your point, realities of game development. You can choose to believe what you want, but from where i stand, most in this industry don't deliberately set out to deceive you for your money anymore than cigarette companies try to convince you that smoking is a cool thing to do.

There is no conspiracy

jWILL253

Banned
The fact that you compared publisher deception to that of cigarette companies says a whole lot about this industry.

Also, if the first image contains last-gen assets, why the hell would you use that to market the next-gen versions?

"Yo, we got this awesome next-gen/PC footage for the commercial, want us to bounce it out for any external editing in Premiere Pro?"

"Nah, we already got some 360 footage, that should be enough, these idiots can't tell the difference."

The second image isn't really a "mod" in the traditional sense. There isn't any external ENB running, those are the settings that were locked away in the PC version for some reason.

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing
Also, if the first image contains last-gen assets, why the hell would you use that to market the next-gen versions?

"Yo, we got this awesome next-gen/PC footage for the commercial, want us to bounce it out for any external editing in Premiere Pro?"

"Nah, we already got some 360 footage, that should be enough, these idiots can't tell the difference."

Not going to elaborate, but that is not what happened, or even close to it.

FyreWulff

Feature gets put in game in time for E3.

Later it turns out the feature doesn't test well, either for gameplay object visibility, or wastes perf, and instead of game design being beholden to it, you cut it instead.

Nobody walks into E3 intentionally trying to make games that only have features for E3, it's just the reality of shit.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Soooo why was DA2 bad other than the reused dungeons and reduced difficulty? This game is great!
Coming from Origins it was a massive departure and extremely disappointing to me. By itself it might not really be that bad of a game, just gutted the style of the original and thus it was never going to get any praise from a lot of people.

Silky

Banned
Coming from Origins it was a massive departure and extremely disappointing to me. By itself it might not really be that bad of a game, just gutted the style of the original and thus it was never going to get any praise from a lot of people.

I'm replaying them for Inquisition, but going directly from DAO > DA2 isn't really that jarring to me at all. Feels very, very natural to play once you turn on Auto-Attack so that you can plan out strategies.

Better cast, so far a much more engaging story, better art direction, music. Reused dungeons and difficulties are my only real gripe.

I'm replaying them for Inquisition, but going directly from DAO > DA2 isn't really that jarring to me at all. Feels very, very natural to play once you turn on Auto-Attack so that you can plan out strategies.

Better cast, so far a much more engaging story, better art direction, music. Reused dungeons and difficulties are my only real gripe.

On the whole, this is true. Except Anders. Fuck Anders.
Killing that cunt was my favourite part of the game.

harSon

Banned
It seems like people talk more about industry practices, sales and graphical/technical performance than they do actual games, gameplay and story now.

Silky

Banned
It seems like people talk more about industry practices, sales and graphical/technical performance than they do actual games, gameplay and story now.

Is this outside of GAF?

I couldn't care less about the armchair analysts deducting the success of a game here. But if a game is technically sound (not broken garbage like TEW) then yeah I'll likely have something to say on it.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE

Even assuming that's true, which it isn't, why would that bother you?

harSon

Banned
Even assuming that's true, which it isn't, why would that bother you?

Eh, it's pretty true. At least more so than it has in previous generations. A lot of the stuff is worthy of discussion, but half the time it seems like petty bullshit. It's just annoying to go into a thread with the intention of discussing a game and not being able to because of a boat load of needless banter.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I don't think that's true harSon. You have to remember a lot of what you are reading comes from a highly concentrated source: a video game enthusiast forum. Silky mentioned a relevant point in asking if there is a similar trend outside of GAF too. I don't think there is. Plus people were always talking about technical aspects on forums as far back as I can remember.

One thing I can remember is I played the first game on PC and missed the isometric camera when trying out DA2. Also the whole thing seemed rushed at the time, bad screenshots and the mechanics of some fights were red flags. I'll be honest I didn't really give it much of a shot after trying out the demo and hearing about people playing it when it launched. It's probably not a big deal now that it's an almost 4 year old game, but at the time it was released I am convinced it was in no way worth $60.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom