• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT9| More Priest, Less Hudlin

Status
Not open for further replies.
So why is an exception being made to T7? It's not like previous games didn't run at 60fps before and now suddenly it is. Fact is, the difference between T7 and T6 is pretty subtle in comparison to hardware jumps in the past.

Because nothing this looks like a huge jump.

andthebeatgoeson

That Randy Moss 30 for 30 is the truth. I like him more. I hope he didn't go broke. Straight cash, homie.

Randy was out there fightin the good fight and I never knew.

harSon

Banned
I don't think that's true harSon. You have to remember a lot of what you are reading comes from a highly concentrated source: a video game enthusiast forum. Silky mentioned a relevant point in asking if there is a similar trend outside of GAF too. I don't think there is. Plus people were always talking about technical aspects on forums as far back as I can remember.

I'm not talking about other forums though, considering I don't frequent any other forums for video game discussions. I'm on record stating that Neogaf and real life are in two different stratospheres in terms of tastes and what they ultimately give a fuck about, but I'm purely talking about enthusiast discussions.

And my point is not that these subjects were non-existent in the past, it's that they've taken a much more prominent role in enthusiast discussions. For example, I think the discussion of the technical side of games and their overall performance has undergone a MASSIVE spike since the advent of Digital Foundry. Gamers have always been mindful of graphics, but not to the point we're seeing now.

jWILL253

Banned
I think less people would trip if there was a little more transparency, and a little less patronizing bullshit going on in the industry.

I would have no problem if a dev came out and said "We tried to shoot for this standard, but couldn't do it within the constraints we have, so this is what we'll be shipping at launch." Or, "We are going for 30 fps because we want to adhere to the highest graphical standard possible." Or, "60 fps is the goal; resolution comes afterward."

Saying shit like "30 fps is more filmic and therefore better for action games.", or "We went for parity to avoid debates, but we still used the most power possible on all platforms!", is bullshit. Using PC footage to market console footage is bullshit. A console maker requiring some kind of "parity" to a game is bullshit. Microtransactions are bullshit. DLC, in most cases these days, is bullshit. Making 20 different editions of a game across five retailers is bullshit.

In other words, I don't give a fuck about a game playing in 720p 25-30 fps. I'm just happy that the shit runs. Hell, I can't even get NBA 2K15 to run over 35 fps, but I can still enjoy it for what it is. What I do give a fuck about, though, is publishers selling sub par product while treating customers like fools. Ubisoft literally gives no fucks anymore, if Unity is any indication. Activision released a purposefully barren game. EA stripped content out of TS4 just to sell a subscription. Every next-gen game seems to have required some sort of day-1 patch just to play the game. It's gotten worse over time, and the common response seems to be, "Well kids are starving in Africa, so whatever." And then in gaming side, you got people like RetroStu and Crossing Eden getting mad butthurt whenever someone has a problem with a publisher's actions.

It may all seem petty to you guys, but let's be real here. We're playing $20-$60 games on $400-$500 boxes. It's a little understandable that some people want their purchase to be actually be worth it.

One thing I will say though: gamers ARE fools nowadays. The moment we decided to pay for online gaming on a console, or purchase horse armour, or purchase every single expansion pack The Sims 3 had, the industry at large knew that we like to be hosed repeatedly...

Soooo why was DA2 bad other than the reused dungeons and reduced difficulty? This game is great!

It's not just reduced difficulty. It's that DA2's encounter design(the way positioning, movement speed, enemy design, and enemy configuration come together) was gimped. Both that and the reused dungeons made for some pretty bland and poorly designed quests, both for the main quests and side content.

The overarching narrative is more interesting conceptually but it never really comes together well, with a disjointed first act, a pretty decent second act, and a bad third act. And as far as Bioware games not handling the illusion of choice very well, it's arguably one of their worst.

Also, as much as Bioware tried to claim it was "visually super-hot", it's a pretty ugly game(not that Origins that was good looking, but at least it was meant to be played from an isometric perspective where most of its ugliness would be mitigated) and its marketing campaign was really off-putting.

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
I think less people would trip if there was a little more transparency, and a little less patronizing bullshit going on in the industry.

I would have no problem if a dev came out and said "We tried to shoot for this standard, but couldn't do it within the constraints we have, so this is what we'll be shipping at launch." Or, "We are going for 30 fps because we want to adhere to the highest graphical standard possible." Or, "60 fps is the goal; resolution comes afterward."

Saying shit like "30 fps is more filmic and therefore better for action games.", or "We went for parity to avoid debates, but we still used the most power possible on all platforms!", is bullshit. Using PC footage to market console footage is bullshit. A console maker requiring some kind of "parity" to a game is bullshit. Microtransactions are bullshit. DLC, in most cases these days, is bullshit. Making 20 different editions of a game across five retailers is bullshit.

In other words, I don't give a fuck about a game playing in 720p 25-30 fps. I'm just happy that the shit runs. Hell, I can't even get NBA 2K15 to run over 35 fps, but I can still enjoy it for what it is. What I do give a fuck about, though, is publishers selling sub par product while treating customers like fools. Ubisoft literally gives no fucks anymore, if Unity is any indication. Activision released a purposefully barren game. EA stripped content out of TS4 just to sell a subscription. Every next-gen game seems to have required some sort of day-1 patch just to play the game. It's gotten worse over time, and the common response seems to be, "Well kids are starving in Africa, so whatever." And then in gaming side, you got people like RetroStu and Crossing Eden getting mad butthurt whenever someone has a problem with a publisher's actions.

It may all seem petty to you guys, but let's be real here. We're playing $20-$60 games on $400-$500 boxes. It's a little understandable that some people want their purchase to be actually be worth it.

One thing I will say though: gamers ARE fools nowadays. The moment we decided to pay for online gaming on a console, or purchase horse armour, or purchase every single expansion pack The Sims 3 had, the industry at large knew that we like to be hosed repeatedly...

I like this. I can agree with you on so much. I don't really concern myself with a lot of the technical stuff going on but I do feel like people raise legit concerns about products we're buying and it's pretty damn lousy how many excuses we get instead of just honest answers.

And the day 1 patches are so ridiculous. I cannot even fathom how that type of thing is acceptable. I dunno, it seems like gaming has become messy. The gamers are very demanding, the devs are releasing unfinished work, etc. I dunno where it all started but something changed for the worst.

Btw, this isn't me trying to go all "back in the day", cuz even back then we had some junk.

Malyse

Hail Nintendo.
Hail Hydra

cdyhybrid

I like this. I can agree with you on so much. I don't really concern myself with a lot of the technical stuff going on but I do feel like people raise legit concerns about products we're buying and it's pretty damn lousy how many excuses we get instead of just honest answers.

And the day 1 patches are so ridiculous. I cannot even fathom how that type of thing is acceptable. I dunno, it seems like gaming has become messy. The gamers are very demanding, the devs are releasing unfinished work, etc. I dunno where it all started but something changed for the worst.

Btw, this isn't me trying to go all "back in the day", cuz even back then we had some junk.

I'm surprised they don't let people pre-DL the game/patches and then just "unlock" it on the launch date like some PC games do.

Malyse

Watched Interstellar.

Pretty good live action flick about Final Fantasy VIII.

Nah, breh. I like FFVIII much more than Interstellar. I would play 8 again before I watched Interstellar again. That movie was like Buried for me: thought it was good and people should see it, never want to see it again.

harSon

Banned

I personally don't mind. It's the result of developers working on a game after it has gone Gold, which wasn't possible prior to the last generation on consoles. I admit I'm 100% selfish in saying so, but considering I have the infrastructure to accommodate it, I prefer getting games a month earlier and downloading a sizable patch - rather than waiting until development is truly complete and ensuring that it's all on the pressed desk.

Malyse

I personally don't mind. It's the result of developers working on a game after it has gone Gold, which wasn't possible prior to the last generation on consoles. I admit I'm 100% selfish in saying so, but considering I have the infrastructure to accommodate it, I prefer getting games a month earlier - rather than waiting until development is truly complete and ensuring that it's all on the pressed desk.
I dislike the D1P, but if its that or just hoping for however long it takes for the patch to get out (Looking at you Giana Sisters), I'll take the D1P. Delayed gratification >>> immediate frustration.

cdyhybrid

Because its a patch. Its a bandaid. Its a fix. Why in the world would you not want that applied immediately?

Because the game's not out yet. You download the game before the release date, you just can't play it. The developers are working on it between the time it goes gold and the actual release date, and you can download the patch in that window so it's ready to go when the game unlocks.

You're telling me you'd rather download the 15GB Halo patch after the game releases than doing it 2 days before?

Malyse

Every Spider-Man ever!*

*except the Raimi Spider-Man Trilogy, Spider-Man: The New Animated Series, The Spectacular Spider-Man, and The Amazing Spider-Man Series, as well as Spider-Boy from the Amalgam Universe

Silky

Banned
Every Spider-Man ever!*

*except the Raimi Spider-Man Trilogy, Spider-Man: The New Animated Series, The Spectacular Spider-Man, and The Amazing Spider-Man Series, as well as Spider-Boy from the Amalgam Universe

they don't even have the Marvel vs Capcom spidey. :(

--

If Spider-Gwen gets her own comic series, I want Noir spidey to get his well deserved comeback.

tumblr_ll0boh3V4C1qgywr8o1_1280.jpg

Malyse

I wish y'all would have just talked about spider verse. Now I've fallen down this damn tvtropes hole and its all your fault.

TIL:
Jessica Drew is not heterosexual and has a crush on Kitty Pryde.
Black Widow was an Asian woman before Natasha got the job and she reassumed the role as Fury's request when Natasha died(!?)
The first hulk was black.
Daken is bisexual.

Oh and almost every time they replace a character with a minority/female/nonhetero version, they kill them to get the white guy back.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
My favorite comic book wormhole I ever fell into was when I discovered the story of when Luke Cage goes to collect the money Dr. Doom owes him. Never would have known about it if not for Slay.

Malyse

My favorite comic book wormhole I ever fell into was when I discovered the story of when Luke Cage goes to collect the money Dr. Doom owes him. Never would have known about it if not for Slay.
Where's my money, honey?

My Mom loves comics (have I ever mentioned my mom? I have an amazing mom) and she was cracking up when I told her about that storyline.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
I wish y'all would have just talked about spider verse. Now I've fallen down this damn tvtropes hole and its all your fault.

TIL:
Jessica Drew is not heterosexual and has a crush on Kitty Pryde.
Black Widow was an Asian woman before Natasha got the job and she reassumed the role as Fury's request when Natasha died(!?)
The first hulk was black.
Daken is bisexual.

Oh and almost every time they replace a character with a minority/female/nonhetero version, they kill them to get the white guy back.

Some of that is ultimate related, and the later has been obvious since the characters creation. He used to fuck with mac all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom