• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT9| More Priest, Less Hudlin

Status
Not open for further replies.
i'm not racist but i'm never letting another korean lady hold a pair of clippers around me ever again

first and foremost, dark schala has good opinions

but xillia... its remarkably average in all directions. if it were my first tales game, i'd be like "this is pretty good" but sadly it just isn't. the environments, while pretty in certain directions, are stunningly empty. the cast as whole just isn't all that interesting as a whole and the combat.... well

the AI is probably the worst I've dealt with - on both sides of the fight. the combat system itself is a few notches above Vesperia imo but the fact that tethering EXISTS just forces the AI to do shit that it would normally never attempt. it forces your party into bad situations constantly. yeah - you can turn it off but you can't but its a catch 22 as some enemies require (or at least encourage) you to approach them a certain way.

co-op doesn't even work. seriously.

also, the ai from enemy bosses after a certain point... it's just going to run right at you and bomb you with hypers over and over. it gets annoyingly simplistic and repetitive.

all that aside, i did like the game but i'm not going to front like its anywhere near the best 3d tales games

We talked on Twitter about it for a bit. Her words after someone joked it was her favorite:

"oh yeah
best game ever
broken-ass unbalanced characters
no dungeons
interactions suck
no sidequests
mmo quests
fun."

I had bought the special edition for $10 since it was on clearance at work, but never got around to opening it because I had other shit to play. Then she found out I was thinking of playing it and said "beef pls" and gave me that list.

I already got rid of Xillia, but since you were talking about the series, I thought I'd ask what you thought of it too.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
No one gonna bite on that? Oh well 😅

----

I think I want to make a legit trap thread. Like, write a realistic analogy for racism and get people all riled up with righteous indignation for me, then point out how it correlates to racial politics. That might be fun.
Yeah I don't see how talking it publicly ahead of time won't put you in a bad situation going forward. Nope, not at all.

studyguy

I wanna do an eventual stream/review of FFXIV, but there are two obstacles.

1. I don't wanna repurchase the game for PC because I already have the PS3 version. Can't afford a capture card, though.

2. Square Enix banned my account for inactivity BECAUSE I DIDN'T IMMEDIATELY PURCHASE THE GAME AFTER THE FUCKING OPEN BETA. Which means I can't play it on my PS3 since the disc is now tied to my account until my account is in good standing. But, that requires me to go through Square's bullshit account restoration process. All because seemingly no one in Japan knows how to streamline and simplify anything involving the internet in 2014.

So I caught this post searching FFXIV somehow lol. Give you a heads up, most accounts that were around for the span of 1.0 to ARR normally are never retired, maybe put on hold like yours. There is an account re activation process but yeah the SE support services are booty... three things though!

If you ever registered FFXIV during the 1.0 version, you automatically have a free copy of ARR (assuming you did it on PC since that's all that existed then). If you can find an old copy of FFXIV 1.0, you can still use that code to register for a ARR copy. Hard to find but normally dirt cheap.

PS3 > PS4 for free offer is still active till the end of Dec iirc, so if you own XIV on PS3, you can still get the PS4 transfer for free.

Also the expansion is hitting real soon, deals are going left and right, the lowest I've seen XIV was some $10 bills so keep your eyes out for that. The FFXIV OT tends to help people looking out for that. Anyway that's it, peace.

God damn do I hate gorillas in comics. Never understand why DC and Marvel love apes so much.

There is an old Silver Age saying that the big two actually sell more comics when there is an ape on the cover. I don't know if there is any truth to this, but people seem to enjoy it. Arthur Adams has made much of his career off of primate comic art.

Malyse

Yeah I don't see how talking it publicly ahead of time won't put you in a bad situation going forward. Nope, not at all.
Like I said, you nods are the only ones who pay attention to me. Plus, subtlety is my strong point. :3

----

Liya_Kebede.jpg

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
We talked on Twitter about it for a bit. Her words after someone joked it was her favorite:

"oh yeah
best game ever
broken-ass unbalanced characters
no dungeons
interactions suck
no sidequests
mmo quests
fun."

I had bought the special edition for $10 since it was on clearance at work, but never got around to opening it because I had other shit to play. Then she found out I was thinking of playing it and said "beef pls" and gave me that list.

I already got rid of Xillia, but since you were talking about the series, I thought I'd ask what you thought of it too.
its enjoyable and completely passable at the same time

the shadows of mordor of tales games

jWILL253

Banned
So I caught this post searching FFXIV somehow lol. Give you a heads up, most accounts that were around for the span of 1.0 to ARR normally are never retired, maybe put on hold like yours. There is an account re activation process but yeah the SE support services are booty... three things though!

If you ever registered FFXIV during the 1.0 version, you automatically have a free copy of ARR (assuming you did it on PC since that's all that existed then). If you can find an old copy of FFXIV 1.0, you can still use that code to register for a ARR copy. Hard to find but normally dirt cheap.

PS3 > PS4 for free offer is still active till the end of Dec iirc, so if you own XIV on PS3, you can still get the PS4 transfer for free.

Also the expansion is hitting real soon, deals are going left and right, the lowest I've seen XIV was some $10 bills so keep your eyes out for that. The FFXIV OT tends to help people looking out for that. Anyway that's it, peace.

Thanks.

Just gotta hit up their CS at... 1:00... AM...

studyguy

Thanks.

Just gotta hit up their CS at... 1:00... AM...

You don't even know man, got locked out of my account cause I swapped phones. Took a week for them to even hit me back up. Just ridiculous. That was at launch, they've gotten a bit better but it's still a struggle.

Slayven

God damn do I hate gorillas in comics. Never understand why DC and Marvel love apes so much.

There is an old Silver Age saying that the big two actually sell more comics when there is an ape on the cover. I don't know if there is any truth to this, but people seem to enjoy it. Arthur Adams has made much of his career off of primate comic art.
Gorilla%20Man%202.JPG

What am I going to do with a CD? A card with a SoundCloud link is more useful.
At least it wasn't perfume dudes in the parking lot trying to sell synthetic bootleg stankwater.

Brian Cronin just did a feature about that very thing. He had to limit himself to fifty total cover from the '50s/'60s...IDK what kind of research DC had that told them people LOVED Gorillas on covers but they milked the hell of it

the editorial for Secret Origins #40 said it was a rule at DC that covers with gorillas sold better, as did dinosaurs, fire, purple, motorcycles, a question being asked, and crying heroes. I don’t know what that says about our collective psyche.

Naturally, Secret Origins #40 has ALL OF THESE

Secret_Origins_Vol_2_40.jpg

andthebeatgoeson

Yo. I'm hot garbage in bayonetta 1. I think I need easy mode and a few runs before I can even approach good.

It's especially hard since it gives no fucks about you improving. The game is like, 'Take this L and this stone and finish the game, that's how you learn.'

Since I have kids and a job, I like hand holding. Nope, this game just throws shit at you: fuck you, the whole ground is on fire. Yup, these guys will hurt you unless you go into witch time. Oh wait, we aren't supposed to say witch time. We didn't say nothing. Ignore that last few sentences.'

Now I remember why I didn't like Viewtiful Joe.

Malyse

Yo. I'm hot garbage in bayonetta 1. I think I need easy mode and a few runs before I can even approach good.

It's especially hard since it gives no fucks about you improving. The game is like, 'Take this L and this stone and finish the game, that's how you learn.'

Since I have kids and a job, I like hand holding. Nope, this game just throws shit at you: fuck you, the whole ground is on fire. Yup, these guys will hurt you unless you go into witch time. Oh wait, we aren't supposed to say witch time. We didn't say nothing. Ignore that last few sentences.'
Witch time is half the battle. The other half is FLY ME TO THE MOON AND LET ME PLAY AMONG THE STARS. LET ME KNOW WHAT SPRING IS LIKE ON JUPITER AND MARS. IN OTHER WORDS, HOLD MY HAND. IN OTHER WORDS, DARLING KISS ME.

Master that and you good.

RedSwirl

Random rant. So I moved a few months ago, same zip code new place.

Cutting my hair isn't hard. I get the one guard all around and a shape up. It's the military cut, but so many people fuck it up. At the old place, there was a barber I found that was perfect. Nice Korean lady, great cut, in and out in 15 minutes.

So I moved and there's a new place around the corner, run by a black dude. Now I have nightmares about black barbers. The cuts are good and clean, but you throw away a good part of your day on nonsense. But it's right down the street, so I figure I'll try it.

I walk in, young guy offers to cut my hair. Fair enough. I figure since he's young it'll be quick. He even puts in headphones to listen to music; awesome, I don't have to make small talk. Things are looking up.

55 goddamn minutes later, I'm still in this chair. This kid is cutting my hair like it's his magnum opus. Brushing and shaving the same spots over and over again. The lining alone took 15 minutes. I almost grabbed the razor out of his hand.

Every damn time.

Still better than having to drive 45 minutes on my end.

After all that did he say "now hold up hold up let me take a picture aight I got to put my work up on Instagram/Facebook ya know how it is" and he did like a 10 minute fashion shoot of your head, getting all kind of angles?

Shit now I wanna know if there's some kind of barber instagram somewhere.

Gorillaz

After all that did he say "now hold up hold up let me take a picture aight I got to put my work up on Instagram/Facebook ya know how it is" and he did like a 10 minute fashion shoot of your head, getting all kind of angles?
Literally my dude did that to me the first time I got cut out here. Talking bout check out his website

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant

if you're a natural masher, plat games will ruin you

If you do go easy, make sure to take off the Immortal Marionette Accessory as soon as you can.
Tumblr why are you still reblogging my April Fools joke?

Tumblr is gullible as hell.

News at 11.

andthebeatgoeson

Witch time is half the battle. The other half is FLY ME TO THE MOON AND LET ME PLAY AMONG THE STARS. LET ME KNOW WHAT SPRING IS LIKE ON JUPITER AND MARS. IN OTHER WORDS, HOLD MY HAND. IN OTHER WORDS, DARLING KISS ME.

Master that and you good.
So basically, lots of witch time until these other combos get locked into muscle memory. Yup, easy mode it is.

if you're a natural masher, plat games will ruin you
I don't think I'm a masher but I like feedback. And the camera leaves something to be desired.

Or maybe I just need to do more hit and run tactics.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
So basically, lots of witch time until these other combos get locked into muscle memory. Yup, easy mode it is.

I don't think I'm a masher but I like feedback. And the camera leaves something to be desired.

Or maybe I just need to do more hit and run tactics.

PKP
Learn Dodge Offset

"You can thank me now" - Drake

I swear I'm like two pages late to every BCT convo, but re: mixtapes, this one time I was waiting at a Raceway for a friend to get ready so I could come over, these two kids maybe like 12 years old tried selling me their mixtape. I didn't have any cash on me, but I did introduce them to Bandcamp and Soundcloud. Those kids looked like they could take on the whole world.

Furyous

Android 5 is not what I wanted. Do not like at all.

WHat phone are you using? It comes down to device and how the OEM loaded the OS on the system.

4 hours until GTA V unlocks. I'm talking cash shit online unhinged like a motherfucker. Does this game have custom soundtracks and include Cyndi Lauper. I'm headed to Grove Street with Frank bumping Cyndi all through the hood.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"

its funny, the presence of an ape in image made me drop the whole comics line for years

4 hours until GTA V unlocks. I'm talking cash shit online unhinged like a motherfucker. Does this game have custom soundtracks and include Cyndi Lauper. I'm headed to Grove Street with Frank bumping Cyndi all through the hood.

I'm trying to get my cousin to gameshare it with me,

and yeah PS4 does have a custom soundtrack.. you need a USB thumbdrive as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom