• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT9| More Priest, Less Hudlin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Universal Studios is a great place to be at night. So many bars and one of the best theaters in Orlando.

Random: When you have a wide taste in music...it makes conversation so much easier. Met this super chill chick who digs No Doubt, Lauryn Hill, Xzibit, Oasis and Toni Braxton.

What a coincidence...I listen to all of them too!

did you tell her about your MLP fetish?

RP912

Banned
I made the most edible burger for dinner tonight. It had lettuce, tomatoes, jalapenos , cheese, pickles, honey mustard and pickles.

Man...I just wanted to share this thing with my fellow folks in here....that's all.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
New Spawn cartoon: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=918679

Looks like Black people are in again. We got black sitcoms, all black shows/movies, black leads, etc. It's like the late 80s/early 90s all over again. Enjoy it until 2025 ya'll

you mean when black people disappear altogether from the networks and are corralled back to specialty channels all the while people wonder why there arent white entertainment networks?

Spawn got so bad it got good, then went straight to terrible.

he fell off after cy-gor. that was it for me with that whole damn series and image for the most part

Infinite

Looks like Black people are in again. We got black sitcoms, all black shows/movies, black leads, etc. It's like the late 80s/early 90s all over again. Enjoy it until 2025 ya'll
I saw this graph on tumblr the other day which puts this in perspective.

tumblr_ndutbloVL21r6r4pmo1_500.png

Blackish has gotten so much hype in part because it marks an overdue return of the black family sitcom to network television. Over the years, there have been two major waves of such shows — first in the 1970s, led by a welter of sitcoms from the white producer Norman Lear (“Sanford and Son,” “Good Times,” “The Jeffersons”), and again in the mid-’80s and early ’90s, following the success of “The Cosby Show” (“The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air,” “Family Matters,” “A Different World”). By 1997, there were 18 black sitcoms airing simultaneously on network TV. But as shows like “Seinfeld” and “Friends” grew in popularity, a dry period set in that has more or less lasted to the present day, aside from the occasional outlier like Damon Wayans’ “My Wife & Kids,” which appeared on ABC from 2001 to 2005. “Black-ish,” which received a full season order earlier this month, is the first all-black ensemble comedy on network television in five years — the last sign of one was Fox’s “Brothers,” cancelled after 13 episodes in 2009

source

RedSwirl

Damn maybe that's why the last time I saw my extended family pretty much everyone in that town had the Wayans Brothers on TV all day.

harSon

Banned
Black-ish is pretty good. Supposedly doing well ratings wise too, hope it sticks around and continues to improve.

It's pretty good.

It's pretty close to Everybody Hates Chris and The Bernie Mac Show in terms of tone, construction and execution.

The cast has great chemistry, so the show's going to live and die by its writing - which is fortunately been great, current and relatable thus far.

Slayven

It's pretty good.

It's pretty close to Everybody Hates Chris and The Bernie Mac Show in terms of tone, construction and execution.

The cast has great chemistry, so the show's going to live and die by its writing - which is fortunately been great, current and relatable thus far.

Plus giving out black people's secrets

KumaJG

Only Modern Family, Frozen on Tv, and SHonda Rhimes INC is doing better. Locked to be renewed.

Better than black jesus.

Black Jesus is the type of show you surprise that you laugh. Jokes are so hit or miss. If it wasn't for Miss Tudi and Charlie Murphy that show would be hot doo doo. Instead it just ass.

Gorillaz

Idk if it will go back to being 90's level of packed shows with minorities but Blackish could help that out alot.

Plus Shonda and all of her over the top fuckery

Damn I should check that show out

Black Jesus is great whenever theres scenes with Charlie Murphy and John Witherspoon

They got to get rid of the trailer park boys writer tho, he's fucking it up with his vibe

That feel when you put thoughts on paper. There's nothing like venting to the world how you feel. The last post I wrote was about some bullshit I'm dealing with at work. Family I am at an impasse. Need to drop everything and step to another state. Start from scratch again. But I gotta do something. I'm tired family. Dog tired.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
That feel when you put thoughts on paper. There's nothing like venting to the world how you feel. The last post I wrote was about some bullshit I'm dealing with at work. Family I am at an impasse. Need to drop everything and step to another state. Start from scratch again. But I gotta do something. I'm tired family. Dog tired.

Keep your chin up. We're here for you.

maxcriden

lemme watch that now, actually.

As a white guy interested to know what you think. Episodes 2-4 of Black-ish were hilarious to me and seemed very universally true to life* to me.

*As a communications undergrad several years ago, I remember reading a study about how white people vs. black people saw the infamous "Wazzup" ads. White people saw the relationship between the black protags of the commercial as indicative of "a universal friendship" that people have, whereas black viewers saw it as obviously speaking to them and about a more quintessential black experience (which was seemingly the more objective intent of the ad). So I'm probably playing into that same kind of stereotype as a fan of Black-ish.

J10

Banned
Black Jesus is the type of show you surprise that you laugh. Jokes are so hit or miss. If it wasn't for Miss Tudi and Charlie Murphy that show would be hot doo doo. Instead it just ass.

You DO realize I died for your motherfucking sins, right?

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"

Damn rev. Stay up. I kinda figured something happened.

Infinite

As a white guy interested to know what you think. Episodes 2-4 of Black-ish were hilarious to me and seemed very universally true to life* to me.

*As a communications undergrad several years ago, I remember reading a study about how white people vs. black people saw the infamous "Wazzup" ads. White people saw the relationship between the black protags of the commercial as indicative of "a universal friendship" that people have, whereas black viewers saw it as obviously speaking to them and about a more quintessential black experience (which was seemingly the more objective intent of the ad). So I'm probably playing into that same kind of stereotype as a fan of Black-ish.

I thought the episode was really funny and kinda powerful particularly at the end. The dialogue is really working for me, I like how subversive it is. I definitely related to the subject matter of the episode. I feel like a lot of those exchanges between the characters was plucked out of situations I been in growing up, especially the one's involving the children. I like how the episode just didn't tell you "NO YOU SHOULDN'T SPANK YOUR KIDS" but it organically showed the audience really the pros and cons of different parenting methods in that regard. In the end it said "spanking is not for us" instead of becoming heavy handed and preachy with the message which then allows for the humor to actually be humorous.

I like the exchange between his co-workers too. The part where they were like "No we like the idea of spanking in an abstract sense but no YOU shouldn't beat YOUR kid". That was really funny to me and I actually heard people say that.

Dianne continues to be my favorite character even though she's becoming more stewy griffin like. It's cheap but damn it they got me.

Overall I feel like the message of the episode was raising a child is hard and complex and there isn't going to be a one size fits all method for everyone and everyone's child.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom