• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT9| More Priest, Less Hudlin

Status
Not open for further replies.

RP912

Banned
Haven't played Skyrim in a bit because I already put a ton of time into it and have other games occupying me.

Go PC or go home. Mods make it so much better.

I just re download skyrim since I had to reformat my pc a few weeks ago. I dled the patches and the enhance weather mod, but didn't jump into the exclusive shit just yet. I'm anticipating the Oblivion mod that's suppose to be in skyrim engine.

RP912

Banned
I was never a big fan of that setting so despie critical acclaim I have never been interested.

I was the same way until I bought the anthology. I binged through that game during the summer and enjoyed every minute of it. I'm not even an rpg nut at all but skyrim was satisfying.

Time for me to put a flat in this comic tire...

Let's talk about Elder Scrolls man...what's good with Oblivion...whats popping with that Skyrim brehs?

Would honestly rather play Fallout....

Dragon Age finally scratched that medieval scratch I've had going for awhile.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
The Evil Within doesn't play by any strict rules lol. You just go with the flow lol

No doubt. It's fun, but some of this janky shit is silly as fuck.

This story is ass. I'd love to see
the horror version of Inception,
but this ain't doing it. It's a shame too, because some of these environments and set pieces remind me of the Silent Hills of old, in a good way.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Not sure why people want Fallout 4 so bad when they haven't played Wasteland 2. The best Fallout of all time, goddamn

RP912

Banned
Fuck elder scrolls. Never getting fooled again.

0SwuAYt.gif

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I been meaning to play New Vegas. I have it but haven't touch it yet...

New Vegas was so goddamned good. Beat the piss out of FO3 in every aspect except scenery. Obsidian are amazing at everything they do, save bug testing.

New Vegas was so goddamned good. Beat the piss out of FO3 in every aspect except scenery. Obsidian are amazing at everything they do, save bug testing.

That's on the publisher.

Wasteland isn't Fallout though. That 50's Asthetic means more than people think. No doubt its good though I need to get it soon when I not playing KHII.5 or Dragon Age.

RP912

Banned

I heard New Vegas was superior. Fallout 3 was an amazing beta though. Really enjoyed bug testing the damn game for Bethesda :(

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
I''m never touching a Bethesda game on console again for as long as I live. They're just consistently awful.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I''m never touching a Bethesda game on console again for as long as I live. They're just consistently awful.
Yeah. I got burned hard on Skyrim for PS3 after sinking in like 60 hours into a save. By the time PC was an option I was still mad and didn't care enough to go back. And mods seem great and make the game gorgeous but I had to fix my brother's laptop like twenty times because of various mods crashing the game and it gets so old having to go in and do an uninstall mystery hunt for whatever dumb shit ended up breaking the client. I don't have time for that shit and all the stuff combined to turn me off the Elder Scrolls series completely.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Says a lot when JE Sawyer spent time after release of NV's DLC and made his own patch to New Vegas PC ver to make Hardcore mode how he actually wanted to. That guy is a fucking prince for that and a zillion other things. An "unofficial" official patch.

Says a lot when JE Sawyer spent time after release of NV's DLC and made his own patch to New Vegas PC ver to make Hardcore mode how he actually wanted to. That guy is a fucking prince for that and a zillion other things. An "unofficial" official patch.

I remember reading about this, that guy is a hero. Didn't something similar happen with KOTOR2 but the publisher nixed it?

I would never play a Bethesda open world game on consoles anyway. The lack of being able to use mods doesn't appeal to me. Like unlike most other games where the mods are superficial for the most part and don't really change anything. Bethesda goes out of their way to support modding on levels you rarely see. They give gamers the tools they themselves use and say go dumb with it. It also helps that they utilize bit differentiation for all throughout their engine.

DY_nasty

I cape for Bioware.

To play Mass Effect 4, I'd sell Slayven back into slavery

RP912

Banned
I think pc gaming in general spoiled my care for consoles completely. My PS3 ended up being a WWE Network/Youtube machine after a few months of gaming on the computer.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
More reasons DY is right.

People feeling swell about cops getting cameras. This motherfucker was on camera, pulling an illegal move, and still got off.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I like Bioware overall and accept their flaws. The biggest to me being dumb overhyped decision wheel and nerfed "branching storyline" narrative, also the fact that I loved Dragon Age: Origins and the original Mass Effect but felt majorly disappointed by the sophmore release for both series. Their forums though scare the shit out of me, especially during the hey-day of Mass Effect when people were analyzing the chemical breakdown of Tali's sweat.

Chris Rock on White Hollywood

Now I'm not Murphy, but I've done fine. And I try to help young black guys coming up because those people took chances on me. Eddie didn't have to put me in Beverly Hills Cop II. Keenen Wayans didn't have to put me in I'm Gonna Git You Sucka. Arsenio didn't have to let me on his show. I'd do the same for a young white guy, but here's the difference: Someone's going to help the white guy. Multiple people will. The people whom I've tried to help, I'm not sure anybody was going to help them.

Some of these younger black guys just want me to see their act. Some come to me for advice. Hannibal Buress called the other day. They want to know about agents and managers and the business; this kind of deal and that kind of deal; dealing with the media and dealing with family; money crap and where they should live. It's big brother shit, and they ask because there aren't that many black people to turn to. Who do you hire? Where's the big black PR agency? Where are the big black agents? Where's the big black film producer? That's why I've been all over Steve McQueen. I put a microchip in Steve's pocket and track him like an Uber driver. Steve thinks we keep bumping into each other by accident. "Hey, Steve, my man!" I don't care if I have to play a whip, I'm going to be in a Steve McQueen movie. But I digress.

It's a white industry. Just as the NBA is a black industry. I'm not even saying it's a bad thing. It just is. And the black people they do hire tend to be the same person. That person tends to be female and that person tends to be Ivy League. And there's nothing wrong with that. As a matter of fact, that's what I want for my daughters. But something tells me that the life my privileged daughters are leading right now might not make them the best candidates to run the black division of anything. And the person who runs the black division of a studio should probably have worked with black people at some point in their life. Clint Culpepper [a white studio chief who specializes in black movies] does a good job at Screen Gems because he's the kind of guy who would actually go see Best Man Holiday. But how many black men have you met working in Hollywood? They don't really hire black men. A black man with bass in his voice and maybe a little hint of facial hair? Not going to happen. It is what it is. I'm a guy who's accepted it all.

But forget whether Hollywood is black enough. A better question is: Is Hollywood Mexican enough? You're in L.A, you've got to try not to hire Mexicans. It's the most liberal town in the world, and there's a part of it that's kind of racist — not racist like "F— you, nigger" racist, but just an acceptance that there's a slave state in L.A. There's this acceptance that Mexicans are going to take care of white people in L.A. that doesn't exist anywhere else. I remember I was renting a house in Beverly Park while doing some movie, and you just see all of the Mexican people at 8 o'clock in the morning in a line driving into Beverly Park like it's General Motors. It's this weird town.

You're telling me no Mexicans are qualified to do anything at a studio? Really? Nothing but mop up? What are the odds that that's true? The odds are, because people are people, that there's probably a Mexican David Geffen mopping up for somebody's company right now. The odds are that there's probably a Mexican who's that smart who's never going to be given a shot. And it's not about being given a shot to greenlight a movie because nobody is going to give you that — you've got to take that. The shot is that a Mexican guy or a black guy is qualified to go and give his opinion about how loud the boings are in Dodgeball or whether it's the right shit sound you hear when Jeff Daniels is on the toilet in Dumb and Dumber. It's like, "We only let white people do that." This is a system where only white people can chime in on that. There would be a little naivete to sitting around and going, "Oh, no black person has ever greenlighted a movie," but those other jobs? You're kidding me, right? They don't even require education. When you're on the lower levels, they're just about taste, nothing else. And you don't have to go to Harvard to have taste.

And that part game developers might do well to remember:

I really don't think there's any difference between what black audiences find funny and what white audiences find funny, but everyone likes to see themselves onscreen, so there are some instances where there's a black audience laughing at something that a white audience wouldn't laugh at because a black audience is really just happy to see itself.

DY_nasty

Nothing will help then

I don't think people recognize the stuff over the past 6 years as progress.

10 years ago, most of these killings would've even made a local nightly news report. Now its on national media, and even though the dialogue is fucked up (because ideas are challenged), it is happening. That's huge - whether you see it/acknowledge it or not.

Add in all that social media has done in getting more stories like this out and shit may actually get organized 10 years from now.

I don't think people recognize the stuff over the past 6 years as progress.

10 years ago, most of these killings would've even made a local nightly news report. Now its on national media, and even though the dialogue is fucked up (because ideas are challenged), it is happening. That's huge - whether you see it/acknowledge it or not.

Add in all that social media has done in getting more stories like this out and shit may actually get organized 10 years from now.

True this. It'll always be a long road toward change and progress, but we've come far in the past decade. As bad as it is right now we are still far removed from the days when my old man used to have take his badge with him when we went on vacation just so we wouldn't get harassed by his fellow "cops" at Myrtle Beach.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom